It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-2

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yeah i saw that. Very interesting. I may include it in part-3

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It really struck me because years ago I had thought of that area of the world as a possible location for Atlantis,

I lost a lot of my research from that area, maybe I can start over, but I can't think.

The stones will cry out, eventually.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

In recent years, archaeologists have turned up evidence of a wave of human settlements along the shores of the Gulf dating to about 7,500 years ago. "Where before there had been but a handful of scattered hunting camps, suddenly, over 60 new archaeological sites appear virtually overnight," Rose said. "These settlements boast well-built, permanent stone houses, long-distance trade networks, elaborately decorated pottery, domesticated animals, and even evidence for one of the oldest boats in the world."

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

In recent years, archaeologists have turned up evidence of a wave of human settlements along the shores of the Gulf dating to about 7,500 years ago. "Where before there had been but a handful of scattered hunting camps, suddenly, over 60 new archaeological sites appear virtually overnight," Rose said. "These settlements boast well-built, permanent stone houses, long-distance trade networks, elaborately decorated pottery, domesticated animals, and even evidence for one of the oldest boats in the world."

amazing yes.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

...........Thread Update.............

Massive Canadian melt may have triggered flood of biblical proportions

A British researcher has published a startling new theory that the remains of untold ancient settlements from a 100,000-year stretch of human history were submerged by the rapidly rising waters of the Persian Gulf around 6,000 BC — the result, in all likelihood, of a catastrophic, planetwide flood triggered in Canada. There's a consensus among scientists that the collapse of a kilometres-high glacial dam at the end of the last ice age caused a massive outflow of meltwater into the Arctic or North Atlantic Ocean near Hudson Bay, generating a sharp rise in sea levels around the world and profoundly altering the Earth's climate. Some scientists have even speculated that ancient myths about great floods — culminating in the biblical story of Noah's Ark — were inspired by the worldwide deluge.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think too many detractors are stuck on arguing against the "Single massive flood myth" instead focusing on the possibility of [sometimes gradual, sometimes massive and rapid] coastal flooding evidence now starting to come to light.

This [sometimes gradual, sometimes massive and rapid] coastal flooding both could have occurred over a period of say a day to two or over a period of a few years or more. I doubt anybody who has a real interest in discovering what really went on about 8,000 to 12,000 years ago would take the "Noah's Global Flooding/Great Deluge/Flood " myth seriously

Here is an interesting story I bookmarked a few years back.
Bursting Ice Dam Flooded the Ancient Ocean

LiveScience Staff Writer posted: 29 June 2006 02:00 pm ET

Near the end of the last Ice Age 8,000 years ago, an ice dam on North America's east coast broke, releasing a torrent of fresh water seven times more voluminous than all the Great Lakes combined. It all rushed into the Atlantic Ocean over the course of only a few months.

At around the same time, ocean circulation worldwide slowed to a crawl, plunging Europe into a second ice age that lasted centuries.

Scientists have long suspected the two events were linked, and now they have the evidence from sediment core samples to prove it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I think too many detractors are stuck on arguing against the "Single massive flood myth" instead focusing on the possibility of [sometimes gradual, sometimes massive and rapid] coastal flooding evidence now starting to come to light.

This [sometimes gradual, sometimes massive and rapid] coastal flooding both could have occurred over a period of say a day to two or over a period of a few years or more. I doubt anybody who has a real interest in discovering what really went on about 8,000 to 12,000 years ago would take the "Noah's Global Flooding/Great Deluge/Flood " myth seriously

Here is an interesting story I bookmarked a few years back.
Bursting Ice Dam Flooded the Ancient Ocean

Near the end of the last Ice Age 8,000 years ago, an ice dam on North America's east coast broke, releasing a torrent of fresh water seven times more voluminous than all the Great Lakes combined. It all rushed into the Atlantic Ocean over the course of only a few months.

At around the same time, ocean circulation worldwide slowed to a crawl, plunging Europe into a second ice age that lasted centuries.

Scientists have long suspected the two events were linked, and now they have the evidence from sediment core samples to prove it.

I remember that.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I remember that.

Good Lord!

You're even older than ME!

Harte
edit on 12/14/2010 by Harte because: quotes

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sorry to give negative feedback but your title: Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria myths is misleading. In this part 2 there is absolutely nothing about origins of Atlantis. For example Caral, the first known city in America was according to your posts built over 5000 years after Göbekli Tepe.

The start of the part 1 was very interesting though. I was hoping to find more ponderings/thoughts about the origins of the oldest cities/citystates in part 2 too. This started to go towards just a collection of history, some from here some from there, every bit unattached to another bit.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

----Thread Update----

Interesting find. Great story.
Archaeology: World's Oldest Ropes Found

Coils of nearly 4,000 year-old rope has turned up in caves on the Red Sea. Discovery News' Rossella Lorenzi digs deep to bring us a new story from ancient Egypt.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Oldest High-Altitude Settlements Discovered

The world's oldest known high-altitude human settlements, dating back up to 49,000 years, have been found sealed in volcanic ash in Papua New Guinea mountains, archaeologists said Friday.

Researchers have unearthed the remains of about six camps, including fragments of stone tools and food, in an area near the town of Kokoda, said an archaeologist on the team, Andrew Fairbairn.

"What we've got there are basically a series of campsites, that's what they look like anyway. The remains of fires, stone tools, that kind of thing, on ridgetops," the University of Queensland academic told AFP. "It's not like a village or anything like that, they are these campsite areas that have been repeatedly used."

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
World's Oldest Ax Discovered

A 35,500-year-old stone ax found on Aboriginal land in Australia may the oldest tool of its kind ever found.

Archaeologists revealed they have found a piece of a stone ax dated as 35,500 years old on sacred Aboriginal land in Australia, the oldest object of its type ever found.

The shard of stone, found in Australia's lush and remote far northern reaches in May, has marks that prove it comes from a ground-edge stone ax, Monash University's Bruno David said on Friday.

"We could see with the angled light that the rock itself has all these marks on it from people having rubbed it in order to create the ground-edge ax," he told the ABC.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And finally this little gem

Oldest Man-Made Structure Found in Greek Cave

Nikolaos Zacharias, director of the laboratory of archaeometry at the University of Peloponnese, told Discovery News.

According to a statement by the ministry of culture, “the dating matches the coldest period of the most recent ice age, indicating that the cavern’s inhabitants built the stone wall to protect themselves from the cold.”

Excavated since 1987, the Theopetra cave is well known to palaeontologists as it was used and inhabited continuously from the Palaeolithic period onwards (50,000 to 5,000 years ago).

“The newly discovered stone structure is important as it shows the technological level of humans at that time,” Zacharias said.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

LOL, I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I didnt want to lead him on.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesmis
Sorry to give negative feedback but your title: Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria myths is misleading. In this part 2 there is absolutely nothing about origins of Atlantis. For example Caral, the first known city in America was according to your posts built over 5000 years after Göbekli Tepe.

The start of the part 1 was very interesting though. I was hoping to find more ponderings/thoughts about the origins of the oldest cities/citystates in part 2 too. This started to go towards just a collection of history, some from here some from there, every bit unattached to another bit.

It's a continuation from part-1
I didn't want to retell the same story.

Part-3 will be more along the same.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

How Earth's orbital shift shaped the Sahara

A change in the Earth’s orbit, many scientists believe, transformed the “Green Sahara” into what is now the largest desert on the planet. While scientists are still trying to find out if the slow shift in orbit had rapid or gradual environmental consequences, they say Earth’s orbit will continue to change today and into the future.

The Sahara, the world's largest desert, was once fertile grassland. This fact has been common knowledge in the scientific community for some time, but scientists are still grappling with historic data to determine whether that transition took place abruptly or gradually.

At the European Geosciences Union General Assembly held in Vienna, Austria earlier this year, researchers presented new evidence showing that the eastern region of the Sahara desert, particularly the area near Lake Yoa in Chad, dried up slowly and progressively since the mid-Holocene period.

“The findings of this study are that the sedimentological and geochemical properties of the lake sediments confirm that the Sahara has been drying slowly from six thousand years ago to reach the present day conditions around 1,100 years ago,” said lead author Pierre Francus, professor at the National Institute of Scientific Research in Quebec, Canada.
www.physorg.com...
In this latest study, researchers analyzed the sedimentation in Lake Yoa on a yearly basis and dated it to determine when and how the Sahara region dried-up. Other studies have used climate modeling to determine the time period that the Sahara went dry and the prevailing climate conditions at that time.

What other new evidence point to this time period?

scroll up

“The findings of this study are that the sedimentological and geochemical properties of the lake sediments confirm that the Sahara has been drying slowly from six thousand years ago to reach the present day conditions around 1,100 years ago,” said lead author Pierre Francus, professor at the National Institute of Scientific Research in Quebec, Canada.
www.physorg.com...
In this latest study, researchers analyzed the sedimentation in Lake Yoa on a yearly basis and dated it to determine when and how the Sahara region dried-up. Other studies have used climate modeling to determine the time period that the Sahara went dry and the prevailing climate conditions at that time.

Climate scientist Gavin Schmidt, of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, explained that around 8,000 years ago, the Earth’s orbit was slightly different to how it is today. The tilt changed from around 24.1 degrees to the present-day 23.5 degrees.

“Additionally, the Earth had its closest approach to the Sun in the northern hemisphere (with) summer in August,” Schmidt said. “Today, that closest approach is in January. So, summertime in the north was warmer back then than it is now.”

The changes in the Earth's orbital tilt and precession (or the wobbling motion) occur because of gravitational forces emanating from other bodies in the solar system. To understand exactly what happens, picture a spinning top when it is slightly disturbed. Just like a top, the Earth too wobbles slightly about its rotational axis. This tilt changes between roughly 22 and 25 degrees about every 41,000 years, while the precession varies on about a 26,000-year period. These cycles have been determined by astronomers and validated by geologists studying ocean sediment records.

www.777news.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Thanks for the post.

One could imagine this is why early man was obsessed with the stars and their positions as well as other reasons to monitor the seasons.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I don't know if this information has been covered,

en.wikipedia.org...

Archaeological sites with destruction layers

The city of Troy shows two famous destruction layers, Level 2 (dated approximately 2200 BCE) and level 7 (dated approximately 1200 BC, and linked with the Trojan War). The destruction layers associated with Knossos in Crete was for a long time associated with the invasion of Archaeans led by Thesius, until it was proven by Michael Ventris that the Linear B syllabary was a form of early Greek. The destruction of the Greek cities of the Mycenaean and were for a long time associated with arrival of the Dorians, before closer excavation showed that these destructions were not contemporaneous, and in fact pre-dated the so called "Dorian invasions" by a century or more. The volcanic explosion of Thera[1] shows a destruction layer at the town of Akrotiri thought by some to have been the origins of the story of Atlantis. The cities of the Indus Valley Civilization, Mohenjo Daro and Harrappa show destruction layers associated with their subsequent abandonment, and for a long time this was attributed to Indo-Aryan invaders. Hittite Hattusas and many sites of the Levant[2] show a destruction layer at the end of the Bronze Age, as a part of the Bronze Age collapse, after which the sites were abandoned. Destruction layers form an important part of the study of Biblical Archaeology[3].

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

-----Thread Update------

There have been a couple of newish threads of interest. Well worth the read IMO.

Massive Canadian melt may have triggered flood of biblical proportions

Lost ancient civilisation's ruins lie beneath Gulf, says boffin 'Oldest boat' perhaps used by

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join