It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-2

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Plato's Atlantis is a myth in the same way that Tolkien's 'Middle Earth' is a myth.

Should we be seeking the real Mount Doom? Did the Elves leave Middle Earth - Europe - for a new life in North American? And is this the origin of the Clovis culture?

edit on 26-9-2010 by Essan because: typo

Other Reading

A close look at Sais and Solon not really Plato so much may shed some light. Sais in its day had surgens so renowned that they traveled all over the known world, one to Persia to work for the King.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by SLAYER69

Considering that there are Portuguese oral traditions that kept the original names (confirmed in written accounts) for 1000 years or more, that some Portuguese villages have names that go back 2000 years or more (with some story behind it), I think that there would be a relatively large number of versions of such an old story, with variations according to the place where those versions started.

I saw today but the links were broken about someone finding ATL or something like that used in Portugal somewhere, old place names carved in rocks, like the Aztec word.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Could you please rephrase your post? I don't understand what you mean. And what does "ATL" mean?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Could you please rephrase your post? I don't understand what you mean. And what does "ATL" mean?

Thanks in advance.

Here

Links dont work. Maybe you know something about this?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the link Logarock. That was a cool reading.

I thought the part about the relationship between the Gorgons, Amazons and Atlanteans to be a real eye opener. Plato's Atlantis says that the women went into battle just like the men. The Amazons were purely women warriors. I believe the character we have come to know as Athena really came from these warrior like women.

Diodorus says this interesting statement.

"The story is also told that the marsh Tritonis disappeared from sight in the course of an earthquake, when those parts of it which lay towards the ocean were torn asunder."

Tritonis marsh was on a large island called Hespera.

The islands of the Hesperides are thought to be somewhere in the Atlantic.

I never knew about the writings of Diodorus Siculus.

edit on 26-9-2010 by lostinspace because: added Diodorus statement and fixed spelling

edit on 26-9-2010 by lostinspace because: Added quotes

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Yes that was an interesting read. I'm not sure if I believe it though.
Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I finally get around to coming on here again after moving into my new house and I get the best present anyone could ask for: you finally posted part 2(with a part 3 just sitting there waiting to be converted into a thread). You, sir, are a pip. Thank you! S&F for ya.

edit on 9/27/2010 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I have seen some representations of that language, but I do not agree with the interpretation, at least from a present day Portuguese or Spanish point of view, because "atal" doesn't sound like "atlas".

And nobody really knows how to read those characters.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad Simian

I'm going to be posting it soon. This thread seems to have run it's course. I'll U2U those who have replied.
Stay tuned.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Again, nice thread! S&F

One place you didnt mention, 'The Rock of Gibraltar' - The Pillars of Hercules

Also Plato mentioned that Atlantis was divided into 10 parts or districts, Gadeira - Cadiz, being one of them

Cadiz is also the oldest and longest inhabited city of south western Europe.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

We are headed back towards Europe and the Med in Part-3.
Stay tuned.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Youre the man!

Thanks for these threads i am enjoying them very much. I am also translating all the information to Spanish, for my girlfriend.....lol, she doesnt know English.

Looking forward to part 3

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have read that Plato took his story of Atlantis from secret knowledge given to him as an inititate into the Egyptian mysteries. We also have Madame Blavatsky, and countless others that claim the true knowledge of prehistory. I guess this will all remain shrouded in mysticsm and psuedo speculation for a long while.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article on Atlantis. I don't vouch for the validity.

www.galacticfriends.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I had an idea. You know what if Atlantis never existed at all.

What if Atlantis is an ideology of something TPTB want to create.

Its a thought.....

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ruffian

The problem is that anyone can say what they want about it (and usually write a book saying it).

Too bad we cannot ask Plato.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ruffian
I have read that Plato took his story of Atlantis from secret knowledge given to him as an inititate into the Egyptian mysteries. We also have Madame Blavatsky, and countless others that claim the true knowledge of prehistory. I guess this will all remain shrouded in mysticsm and psuedo speculation for a long while.

Well they cant dig up Sais. Maybe if they could find the old temple and the old pillars but it has a city built on it today. It was said that the history of Atlantis and other history was written on the temple pillars which now may lay under the current buildings. This idea of Plato getting this as part of being initiated into the Sais mysteries may be just someones idea. Solon was the one that was taken in by the priests at Sais as they held him in high regard.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
I had an idea. You know what if Atlantis never existed at all.

What if Atlantis is an ideology of something TPTB want to create.

Its a thought.....

Its interesting to note that as Atlantis marked the end of an age, that it is said that another destroyed kingdom will be one of the marks of the end of this current age. "And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen......Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come".

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hello Slayer,

I wasn't sure if you would be interested or not, but I have posted a new article titled The Walls of Atlantis which proposes a new more accurate interpretation of the walls surrounding Atlantis' capital city.

The article can be found here:
www.atlantismaps.com...

The article establishes the placement of the city walls:

And proposes that the outer third wall extended out 5.7 miles, the length of the channel to the sea:

I think this new interpretation with its similarity to Greek 'long walls' and the obvious implications might intrigue you:

BTW, I am still looking forward to Part 3. Is that still in the works?

All the best,
Doug Fisher

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Lost Civilization Under Persian Gulf?

www.sciencedaily.com...

Jeffrey Rose, an archaeologist and researcher with the University of Birmingham in the U.K., says that the area in and around this "Persian Gulf Oasis" may have been host to humans for over 100,000 years before it was swallowed up by the Indian Ocean around 8,000 years ago. Rose's hypothesis introduces a "new and substantial cast of characters" to the human history of the Near East, and suggests that humans may have established permanent settlements in the region thousands of years before current migration models suppose.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join