It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misogyny: Ruining the Female Male Relationship(esp. in the digital age)

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Four differences.

1. Quagmire is a guy in a cartoon, cartoons say and do all knids of things that live comics would not.

2. The cartoon is actually mocking him for his ways, at least that's how i read it.

3. None of the stuff comes even close to the comedians joke i mentioned above.

4. Finally it should again be noted, if a male comedian stood up in front of a live audience and did the exact same speech but about women, then that comedian would be booed off and have to publicly apologise. No one finds jokes about raping women funny in a comedy club. Raping men though? Yep perfectly fine.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
1. Quagmire is a guy in a cartoon, cartoons say and do all knids of things that live comics would not.

I really don't see the difference.

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of ''Family Guy'' - it's a poor man's, x-rated rip-off of ''The Simpsons'', but I occasionally see it, if it's on in the background.

Cartoons and cartoon characters have a huge cultural impact throughout the world... Look at a character like Homer Simpson - he's probably one of the most well-known ''people'' in the world !

2. The cartoon is actually mocking him for his ways, at least that's how i read it.

I agree with how you see it.

But I know that that's not how everyone ( especially some younger guys ) read it.

Some of them think that Quagmire's lines about rape are funny just because of the actual content;
for example:''I felt guilty once, but then she woke up half way through'' is seen by some as just an amusing ''joke'' about rape, rather than a critique on men that act like him.

3. None of the stuff comes even close to the comedians joke i mentioned above.

I apologise, but I didn't actually listen to the joke that you provided in that link.

4. Finally it should again be noted, if a male comedian stood up in front of a live audience and did the exact same speech but about women, then that comedian would be booed off and have to publicly apologise. No one finds jokes about raping women funny in a comedy club. Raping men though? Yep perfectly fine.

You are probably correct on that.

As I said, I was just observing the fact that there is some mainstream television that does have ''humour'' based around sexual violence on women.

Forgive me, but I shall listen to the clip shortly, and then pass my judgement on it's content.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

OK, I've listened to the clip from Annette Fagan, the ''comedienne'' that you linked to.

I jotted down the transcript of her stand-up routine on that BBC Radio 2 show, Live at the Hackney Empire, and it's something like the following:

''Can you believe that some man tried to accuse me of rape ?

I decided to defend myself in court, and I had to explain to the judge; I said: ''alright, some sexual interaction did happen between me and this man '', and, ''alright, he did cry''

< audience laughter >

''And alright, he did say ''stop it''''

< more audience laughter >

''and alright, he did say: ''get off my face''''

< screams of laughter and some applause >

''But he never said ''no''''

< laughter and applause >

Man made that rule; man made that rule''.

I'm no fat, ugly feminist.

But, as far as I can see, she is mocking the attitude of the kind of man that thinks women are ''asking for it'', and uses excuses like ''she never said ''no'''' to justify rape.

I'm not personally offended, and I don't think her stand-up routine was particularly humourous, but she was trying to actually make a point with that ''joke'' ( despite the lack of humour that was involved ).

Having said that, I don't think women comics are very funny, anyway.

It's no wonder that women put such a great emphasis on a ''GSOH''; because men are funny, and women aren't !

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I disagree she was making that point, it was all just a piece of comedy but whether she meant it that way or not is irrelevant. The point (and it's something you agreed on) is that you couldn't have a man on stage making the same joke but about women. The only reason for that is because society views the rape of women as a terrible thing (which it obviously is) but the rape of a man as funny. The man is viewed as weak or pathetic and that is a very sad thing.

The reason for all of it is that womens rights have been fought for, awareness of issues surrounding women have been fought for, but men's issues are usually ignored.
edit on 18-10-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayertuck
reply to post by tiger5

Later I will find the stats for you. latest study has both genders about even in commiting dv.

Since I am being lazy today, here is a link with over 250 studies on the issue.

www.csulb.edu...

Also in case you are intersted here is a link to a group that tracks domestic violence reporting media, the "gender groups" reporting etc. From what I can tell they are non-biased on the issue. Their website is www.mediaradr.org.

Here is one of their articles dealing with the "myths" of domestic violence:

www.mediaradar.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mayertuck

Thank you for the links. Very Informative.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Np, hopefully more people will become educated about this issue, and then we can finally fix it for all.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Ever heard Christina Aguilera's song "I hate boys" on the radio? Here is a Youtube link with the lyrics in the comments which I will quote here:
Christina Aguilera - I Hate Boys

No-No-No I'm not bitter, I'm not mad
Well, maybe just a little, just a tad.
I know every apple here ain't bad,
But I found a worm in every single one I had.
(Boys) They're only good for fruit, I mean bananas.
(Boys) Them boys so nuts, they're drivin' me bananas
Oh boys, we should pack them up and ship em out.
Bo-bo-bo-boys Bo-boys
Bo-bo-bo-boys Bo-boys
I hate em.

I hate boys, but boys love me.
I think they suck and my friends agree.
Eh yeah, eh yeah, eh yeah,
I. Hate. Boys.

If you hate em boys, shake it.

We would all be happy all be glad,
If sweet mama nature never had,
A-all this dirty little boys who think that the girls
are only made for toys
Boys wants them women, though they barely can remember.
Then again all men are dogs.
All men are dogs.

I. Hate. Boys.

Let's go
BOYS SUCK.
MAKE ME SICK.
INFLATED EGOS.
LITTLE DICKS.
USE THEM UP.
SPIT EM OUT.
I H-A-T-E Boooooys!

I. Hate. Boys.

I. Hate. Boys.

Can you imagine the reaction if the genders were reversed? Seriously, can you imagine?

But according to Feminist ideology men using the word "women" is Misogynistic in itself, but women saying they hate men is just some fun.

edit on 18/10/2010 by Dark Ghost because: extra line

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Or for that matter Carrie Underwood' Before he cheats

Right now he's probably slow dancing
With a bleached-blond tramp
And she's probably getting frisky
Right now, he's probably buying
Her some fruity little drink
'Cause she can't shoot whiskey

Right now, he's probably up behind her
With a pool stick
Showing her how to shoot a combo
And he don't know

I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped-up 4 wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seat
I took a Louisville slugger to both head lights
Slashed a hole in all 4 tires
And maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

Right now, she's probably up singing some
White-trash version of Shania karaoke
Right now, she's probably saying, "I'm drunk"
And he's a thinking that he's gonna get lucky

Right now, he's probably dabbing on 3 dollars
Worth of that bathroom Polo
Oh and he don't know

That I dug my key into the side
And maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

I might've saved a little trouble for the next girl
'Cause the next time that he cheats
Oh, you know it won't be on me!
No, not on me

'Cause I dug my key into the side
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
Oh, maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
Oh, before he cheats
Oh

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Brood

You are the new OP?
I am not asking you to do anything but be comfortable with who you are, what you are, as if that is even possible. All my posts are not to you. They are to the men here. And you are not among them so why belabor the issue and act all offended? You have no right to be offended. You are a woman.

edit on 20-10-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well, I could dredge up many songs that show misogyny...many.

I am not really on that band wagon and in a better mood today.
Still love men.
Just wish they were not so danged stupid all the time.
Can't figure that one out except perhaps you "fellas" are not men?
Men are not so petty. You have to be a girl.

Love the way you lie shows violence from both sides.

Thought that is what you all are claiming.
Women are as guilty...?

Seems like a few of you are fighting against yourselves.
Fighting anything that comes along.
People that agree with you, even things that help to prove your point.

Lashing out like cats with tails caught in a trap.

Like drowning men....

Interesting.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Still love men in spite of their wicked, warring and devious tendencies.
In spite of the fact they are not monogamous.

Grateful these few imaginary trucks and ghosts chiming in "on their behalf" (and even this - I only assume) are not representative of the entire gender...as a matter of fact I am not convinced a few of those posting here are even "male" in the truest sense of the word.

Hence the disparity on opinion and difficulty communicating basic ideas and thoughts.

Real-men and real-women have no problems with each other.

Once the gender identity lines are crossed there is no telling what can happen.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
Still love men.

Really?

Just wish they were not so danged stupid all the time.

Still love men in spite of their wicked, warring and devious tendencies.
In spite of the fact they are not monogamous.

Sounds like someone is a little bitter tbh. But to claim you love a gender and then make such comments about them, yeah i think you're rather confused.

And you complained about personal attacks yet.........

Can't figure that one out except perhaps you "fellas" are not men?
Men are not so petty. You have to be a girl.

Grateful these few imaginary trucks and ghosts chiming in "on their behalf" (and even this - I only assume) are not representative of the entire gender...as a matter of fact I am not convinced a few of those posting here are even "male" in the truest sense of the word.

Ahh more personal insults, so they're not male in the truest sense of the word? This is odd because we are told women should be who they want to be, yet you seem to think men must stick with a stereotype that you have in your head. Sorry rusethorcain but some people have minds of their own and do as they wish, to be who they are instead of mindlessly repeating some doctrine or another.

Real-men and real-women have no problems with each other.

Once the gender identity lines are crossed there is no telling what can happen.

Real men and real women don't have problems? What utter nonsense! I would love to know what real men and real women even are. It appears you have these little containers which you think all men and women should fit it, without realising that people are different, always have been, always will be. It's better to deal with that reality then make idiotic claims about real men and real women.

Oh and the funny thing is i probably fit into that stupid "real men" category you so love, yet i still think you're wrong

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm glad Christina Aguilera wrote that song...it's awesome. And Carrie Underwood did a decent job. I totally agree with them, they're very cool. I think feminism has helped society a lot and it should continue to expand. The people who see feminism as a threat are probably the same people who think rapists, murderers and child molesters are the victims. Misogynism is dying and feminism is here to stay. Nothing you can do about it...except cry I suppose.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Yeah, I'm glad Christina Aguilera wrote that song...it's awesome. And Carrie Underwood did a decent job. I totally agree with them, they're very cool. I think feminism has helped society a lot and it should continue to expand. The people who see feminism as a threat are probably the same people who think rapists, murderers and child molesters are the victims. Misogynism is dying and feminism is here to stay. Nothing you can do about it...except cry I suppose.

People here aren't actually arguing against feminism (well most aren't) they are arguing about inequality and how feminism is used as an excuse to get preferential treatment.

Where has feminism got to expand? Women have all the same legal rights as men! That's what it was about and the goal has been achieved so why do we still have extreme feminists pushing their viewponits? Usually such women tell us men are stupid, or that the species doesn't even need men or some other hateful stuff. This isn't feminism, it's sexism.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

All I can do now is feel pity for you.

I hope you can find a way out of the demented bubble in which you currently reside.

Your soul might just be beyond redemption.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
*giggle* everytime I read this:

www.menarebetterthanwomen.com...

Why women hate sex.
Out of all the problems that have ever or will ever exist on the Earth, there is only one that men haven’t and will never be able to solve — not because they can’t, because that’s ridiculous, but because the problem is unsolvable by design. Women hate sex.

That’s it, there you have it. The end-all, be-all of cluster #s. But why?

Do women hate sex — and they do — because of some kind of woman-guilt from an outdated puritan societal dogma? Or perhaps a stigma of guilt or a fear of abandonment? No. None of these things are it. Women hate sex simply because they are lousy at it.

This can be proved in a quick stroll down the checkout aisle at your local market of groceries — a place thick to the rafters with women. Take a look at some of their magazines and you will no doubt see a running theme: ‘Ten Ways to not suck in bed’, ‘Six Things to do to Your Man that aren’t Lay There Like a Futon’, and ‘Honestly who gives half a # about socks being on or off? Jesus Christ that’s pathetic’.

Also, much in the same way that a wall probably doesn’t like or doesn’t care about playing tennis with you, it’s definitely not your fault. Don’t let your sympathetic male compassion get the better of you. You could be dancing around like a maniac and pulling stunts out of your figurative ass like Johnny Magic the Wicked Awesome — maybe some whirl-arounds and in your face spikes from across the court — it’s really up to you as the man — but no matter what, the wall will remain unfazed. It just sits there doing nothing like a lump on a log probably thinking that it wants a new expensive coat of paint.

This same theory can be applied to many other things as well. For example: that women hate problems.

In Chinese, the symbol for crisis is the same as opportunity. I haven’t looked that up, but I heard it from a man so it’s probably true because us men have something called integrity. This means that in a time of crisis, we men are at our show stopping best. Take a flat tire on a moonless night for instance. While a man is out changing nuts and bolts and doing all manner of screwing on the side of the road, will a woman so much as think to grab a flashlight and help? No.

That’s because women hate holding flashlights, because they are complete rubbish at it. Force a woman to hold a flashlight when it matters and you’re likely to catch her aiming it into the sky for absolutely no goddamn reason. You’re better off just duct taping it to a mailbox and catapulting it into space.

edit on 20-10-2010 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

People here aren't actually arguing against feminism (well most aren't) they are arguing about inequality and how feminism is used as an excuse to get preferential treatment.

Where has feminism got to expand? Women have all the same legal rights as men! That's what it was about and the goal has been achieved so why do we still have extreme feminists pushing their viewponits? Usually such women tell us men are stupid, or that the species doesn't even need men or some other hateful stuff. This isn't feminism, it's sexism.

no, women have MORE rights than men.

If there was really any equality, there would be more women on death row.

(for GASP pre-meditated murder)
edit on 20-10-2010 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

OH I needed that! for some comic relief.

I have only read "Woman Astronaut Kills Everyone"

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I think feminism has helped society a lot and it should continue to expand. The people who see feminism as a threat are probably the same people who think rapists, murderers and child molesters are the victims.

Feminism did help society in its original form, by helping to attain full legal equality between the genders.

Not many people would disagree with that.

I believe in full social equality for everyone, which means that everybody should get treated equally by law and everybody should have the same chances and opportunities within a society.

This has been achieved by feminism, so where can it possibly expand to ?

Feminism is not needed any more, as it has achieved its aims, so what masquerades as ''feminism'' nowadays is entirely about getting preferential treatment and unfair advantages for women.

Feminism today is not about gender equality, but about sexism against men. This is one of the things that is damaging society, as it goes against any ideal of equality.

Just to give a few examples of inequality against men:

The on-running thread about male reproductive rights, highlights the unfairness, discrimination and lack of logic in the legislation surrounding reproduction and child custody rights.

Every step of the way in that issue, the option that is most favourable to the woman is preferred by law, regardless of how illogical it is.

The law has turned a child or prospective child into little more than a tool that a woman can use to gain power over a man.

That's clearly not equality, and any true feminist would be against the current legislation.

Then there's the preferential treatment that women get in the workplace and employment.

If we imagine that men and women are equal mentally, then there should theoretically be a 50/50 chance of them getting a job that doesn't require any strenuous physical work.

But where a job does require strenuous physical work, then there are still a large number of women that work in that job !

The police force is a fine example of this; all thongs being equal, then men should make up about 95% of police officers, due to their superior physical fitness. So why are there so many female police officers ?

Clearly, the physical tests that are conducted must have been dumbed down with the intention of getting more female police officers.

That's clearly not equality, and is detrimental to the police's job of keeping the peace.

Most men who have worked in jobs that require some degree of lifting and reaching, will testify that women will often ask them to pick up a heavy box or something else that they struggle to do physically.

If they are incapable of performing some tasks that are involved in the job, then why did they apply for the job in the first place ?

If women want equality, then they've got to play by the rules, and not attempt to change them as they see fit !

Misogynism is dying and feminism is here to stay.

Misogyny and misandry are just inevitable consequences of human nature and personal interactions.

They will not die out any time soon ( not with us humans in our present stage of evolutionary decelopment, anyway ).

I think your suggestion that ''feminism is here to stay'' is a bit strange. Social attitudes tend to be cyclical and malleable, and with feminism only existing for about 50 years, then it is a little too early to estimate what the future will have in store.

Some people on here believe that due to higher Muslim birth-rates in the West, that Europe and North America will eventually be controlled by an Islamic theocracy that implements full Sharia Law.

I don't personally go along with that scenario, but if it were to be the case, then I think that feminism may go on the back-burner for a while.

Not to mention, that some of feminism's tenets go against human nature.

For example, women still look to men to provide and protect, it may take on a slightly different form in today's society, but it is still clear to see. 50 years of feminism can't warp millions of years of evolution.

If the ''SHTF'', then every single woman would run to the nearest strong man to defend and protect her. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just nature.

edit on 20-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join