It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists display Quantum Teleportation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Chinese Scientists display Quantum Teleportation

www.foxnews.com

In May, a team of Chinese scientists announced a successful demonstration of "quantum teleportation," beaming a message more or less instantaneously 10 miles through the air -- a message that's virtually impossible to spy on.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The article says that this is an ideal means for keeping military Communictations secret, but in the long run there may be more to this. Teleportation of Information may be a precursor for Teleportation of Matter (Beam me Up) and even Time-Travel, because the information is literally "transported" in "no time".

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Excellent. Now they need to make CPU's which can process information in "no time".

Great find BTW, I love news like this, S&F.

EDIT:

They call it "quantum teleportation" because of the tiny scale of the experiment, and because the information transmission occurs so quickly.
They actually call it "quantum teleportation" because it utilizes the laws of quantum mechanics, more precisely, because of quantum entanglement. And as we discovered the other day the rules of quantum mechanics can apply to macroscopic objects.

edit on 10/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

This is really old news I wonder why its doing the rounds again in the MSM? maybe there is something about to come out into the public arena that may show us scientific evidence of actually being able to transfer matter from one area to another. Or perhaps its because of the latest news regarding laws of pysics and the VLT, who knows?

I know there has been ongoing experiments in Australia this year with experimenting with this sort of quantum teleportation, Keep watching I say.

edit on 10-9-2010 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the articles, I remember when this was going around the news sites the first time.

I really liked the Time article, though. Puts an interesting spin on the whole deal.

All this talk of quantum communication reminds me of AstroEngineer, who was banished from ATS quite ruthlessly.

His blog is here:
AstroEngineer blog

He basically said that he and another guy working for the gov't stumbled upon evidence that Spirit had experimental quantum communication technology on board from JPL.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

True, this isn't anything entirely new, but I think maybe the methods and distances involved are different. An exert from the article:

"Although the first proof-of-principle demonstration was reported in 1997 … long-distance teleportation has so far only been realized in fiber with lengths of hundreds of meters," the paper explains. That's not entirely accurate, pointed out Matthew Luce, a researcher at the Defense Group Inc.'s Center for Intelligence Research and Analysis.

"In 2005, a group of universities and defense corporations under a Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) grant and led by BBN Technologies, the company responsible for developing the precursor to the Internet, succeeded in transferring cryptographic keys over a free-space link of 23 km in Cambridge, Massachusetts," he said.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Teleportation of Information may be a precursor for Teleportation of Matter (Beam me Up) and even Time-Travel, because the information is literally "transported" in "no time".

I love these topics.
Check out some of my other replies to similar thread such as this.
Basically, I don't subscribe to the whole "teleportation" idea.
Sure, we may be able to teleport information using Information Teleportation, but what if we want to teleport a subject composed of more than one substance.
i.e.

Body - physical
Soul - information
Spirit - actual life source

If for instance the subject we will be teleporting comprises of more than one of the above substances, we would not only need to be able to teleport using each of those forms of teleportation, but somehow be able to merge the 2+ teleportation methods together to ensure a complete recontsruction of the subject. If not, there could be a body in a vegitative state on the moon while their Soul remains here on earth for example.

Just because we can supposedly use Information Teleportation on something composed entirely of information and only information means absolutely nothing in regards to subjects composed of one or more substances.

...you know?

edit on 10-9-2010 by Solofront because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

If I understand you correctly then we'd have to find a way for both the body and the soul to teleport?

If thats what you're saying, I'd reply: The soul has no problem teleporting because its not constrained by time, space, matter. Only the body requires teleportation.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm confused about one thing. The article states

One aspect to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle suggests that observing a particle changes its state. In other words, if eavesdroppers try to listen in, the sender and receiver should know in real-time.

So how does the intended receiver read the message without changing the message?

edit on 10-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

If I understand quantum stuff correctly, the information isnt actually transfered or even transported or teleported anywhere. Instead, the info in one particle is instantly present in another. This immediacy would rule out the possibility of spying.

But maybe others know more.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

If I understand you correctly then we'd have to find a way for both the body and the soul to teleport?

Yes, if the subject only contains a "Body" and a "Soul"
Then somehow merge the those two teleportation methods and bring the subject together.
We'd also have to know how the substances...whatever the subject is comprised of, how they(the substances) are "bound" to one another.

...also, if you don't know what I'm talking about, I don't think I do either, lol

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well as I understand it this system works by quantum entanglement i.e. they get a "pair" of photons and send one of them some distance away but because of the effects of quantum entanglement the photon pair is still linked and any change made to one will instantly occur to the other.

I understood that bit of the article (well in a vague idiotic way anyway
) but then the article starts talking about the uncertainty principle making spying impossible and it got confusing

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This implications here are very exciting...
This suggests a "parallel universe" theory, or many universes, is more possible or probable than we originally thought. Right?

Here are some interesting snippets from New Scientist 2002...Quantum entanglement

www.newscientist.com...

The dream of teleporting atoms and molecules - and maybe even larger objects - has become a real possibility for the first time. The advance is thanks to physicists who have suggested a method that in theory could be used to "entangle" absolutely any kind of particle.

The technique should work for any objects - atoms, molecules and who knows what else - as long as you can split the beam into a quantum superposition. Anton Zeilinger, a quantum physicist at the University of Vienna in Austria, has already shown that this quantum state is possible with buckyballs - football-shaped molecules of C60. Although entangling such large objects is beyond our technical abilities at the moment, this is the first technique that might one day make it possible.

And more here from 2009 www.nytimes.com...

Without quite the drama of Alexander Graham Bell calling out, “Mr. Watson, come here!” or the charm of the original “Star Trek” television show, scientists have nonetheless achieved a milestone in communication: teleporting the quantum identity of one atom to another a few feet away.

edit on 10-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: adding content

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
This implications here are very exciting...
This suggests a "parallel universe" theory, or many universes, is more possible or probable than we originally thought. Right?

From what I understand, yes. Science catches up with science-fiction ever so slowly.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hey CHAOS, well it might not be instantaneous data processing, but at 5GBs a second, it certainly blows away anything we're using today.

Originating Thread by Komodo

Relevant Tech Link

Again, 40Gbits/sec is far more instantaneous than anything we're using today, and will almost certainly be involved in processing the instant data once the transmission is complete. It'll just already be on your terminal waiting for processing is all...probably like in a spooler for printing, typing or mouse coordinates.

I love this new tech coming out, and can't wait to see if gaming will be able to push any limits in data transmission (LAG BE GONE!) and processing from at least these two possibilities.

Guess we just gotta wait for the military to get something better, and give us these wonderful hand-me-downs. :'(

Definite Star and Flag Sky

edit on 10-9-2010 by lagnar because: Addition

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Awesome find!

It says "more or less instantaneous". I wonder what is the true speed of transmission.

Possible future tech from this experiment is endless. I can't wait to for this to mature and allow us to teleport anywhere on the planet... "Hey, Bob! Lets eat lunch in Tokyo... "

On a related but off-topic subject:

This may be the next step in discovering extraterrestrial communication signals. Its pretty egotistical for people to say alien technology is exactly like ours. It is dumb to assume other civilizations would communicate using archaic and slow radio, microwave, or what not. Perhaps Quantum Communication is how aliens stay in touch across the vastness of space... Think of Star Trek's subspace communication.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy

It says "more or less instantaneous". I wonder what is the true speed of transmission.

The spooky thing is that there is no transmission. They just report it that way in the newspapers because they dont know how else to explain it.

What happens is that if I change A then B changes at the same time. This kind of proves the idea of everything being interconnected.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thanks for this post!!

It would be amazing if this developed into something we could use everyday in numerous different ways.

Of course everyone knows the governments will be the first to get their hands on this technology and taint it with the blood of our brothers. 'nuff said.

Thanks again though.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront

Teleportation of Information may be a precursor for Teleportation of Matter (Beam me Up) and even Time-Travel, because the information is literally "transported" in "no time".

Sure, we may be able to teleport information using Information Teleportation, but what if we want to teleport a subject composed of more than one substance.
i.e.

Body - physical
Soul - information
Spirit - actual life source

You do have a point. Unfortunately ever since humans started utilizing machines they lost touch with the concept of energy and the spirit, and the mind took over. Considering this is China, the oldest power in modern civilization, I would like to understand what unconventional tactic these guys have used.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join