It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Scientists display Quantum Teleportation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
it's too bad that by the time they can actually teleport matter it will cost so much the average person still won't be able to do it. i love how our future technological progress is constantly sold out in the name of the almighty dollar. not only are they greedy pigs, but they are also setting back the entire human race. way to go, guys.

Hasnt each and every one of us benefited from their progress? Look at the Internet for example.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No way! Not even a single electron will every be teleported faster than light.

Even assembling a copy of a distant complex molecule from locally available atoms is at least 30 years away. The specifications of the molecule may be determined within the limitations of the uncertainty principle, and those specs may be communicated (the word "teleport" is misused in this context) instantaneously in the reference frame of the ether. The molecule may then be duplicated within the limitations of the uncertainty principle by assembling atoms to match the specs. But no matter may be teleported FTL.

In addition to the well known principles that forbid matter exceeding or even equaling the speed of light, I have my own model which clearly illustrates why. Particles consist of orbiting pairs or groups of ethereal shear waves. Shear waves propagate at the speed of light because light itself is a shear wave. The path of an orbit is obviously longer than the path of the center of the orbit. So a partiacle can't move faster than a shear wave.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phractal Phil

Stricktly speaking its not actually "travel" is it. Its changing one thing wherby whatever is connected to it changes too.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I was thinking that too Skyfloating - 'teleportation' is not really the right word. Instant communication. And further to that, is the original destroyed on 'transmission'? From my understanding it's not. That makes the idea of human teleportation more like that seen in The Prestige.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Technology ~ ya gotta love it!

Who knows what else may be in Pandora's box eh?

S&F

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

I think the word "teleportation" was introduced by an overzealous journalist or publicist in an attempt to boost his ratings. It probably began with the announcement from Australia in 2002. Not to be outdone, ever journalist since then has had to use that word to keep up with the competition. Sensationalism is the journalist's steroid. If the competition is on steroids, you can't compete without doing the same.

edit on 2010/9/11 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Actually, the keys are transmitted by photons, using open air lasers or fiber optic cable. If you get past the hype, this tech is being developed to provide secure channels, not for so called teleportation, the signals aren't going to travel any faster. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

so you are saying the internet was invented by... teleporting matter?
i am confused.. how have any of us benefiting from teleporting matter from one point to the other?
i was under the impression that this hasn't happened yet, and was merely suggesting when it becomes available it will be too expensive for your average middle class individual.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
[
i was under the impression that this hasn't happened yet, and was merely suggesting when it becomes available it will be too expensive for your average middle class individual.

Thats what they said about the military invention Internet in the 60s too. But it all eventually trickle down. I was just surprised how you could turn something that is actually good news into bad news with your previous post

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by davespanners

If I understand quantum stuff correctly, the information isnt actually transfered or even transported or teleported anywhere. Instead, the info in one particle is instantly present in another. This immediacy would rule out the possibility of spying.

But maybe others know more.

Exactly.

It's the same thing as having two people holding a taut rope and one person decides that they wish to send a message to the person on the other end of the rope. So, the one person tugs the rope.

!! It doesn't matter how long the rope is -- that tug is felt instantaneously by the other person holding the rope!

Now... it is the other person's responsibility to understand how to translate the tug.

But they are wrong in assuming that this prevents spying. All one has to do is grap ahold of the rope.

Not only does the spier also receive the messages, but the spier's presence changes the message for the other person.

Of course, that's how the rope analogy takes the cake. Think about it... you may not know the message, but you know the receiver. If you can butt into the receiver's way, then you can manipulate the whole of communication.

So, this extremely convenient method of communication will actually become the biggest blunder in communication history...

As I always say, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." If I wanna tell y'all something and it's really important, I'm gonna get as close to face-to-face communication as possible.

For the purposes of all their spec-ops... well, that's the downside to spec-ops. Technology becomes better and more convenient and then it has its major flaws. Too bad.

Forget about getting a computer built around that technology. Government instantaneously interfering with my communications without my knowledge, no thanks. Stick with the slow stuff. Patience is a virtue, anyhow.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I like to think of this technology as a Binary Communication Device. No information is actually transferred, but the properties of the two distant particles are entangled. So, if one is spin-left (0) the other will be spin-right (1). If you change spin-left (0) to spin-right (1) the change is reflected in the other particle instantaneously.

101000101011 Binary communication. Basically a Quantum Mo-dumb. The problem comes in, from what I understand, that we can't really manipulate the particles to "encode" any meaningful information (yet). Also, once we determine one is spin-left and one is spin-right (or whatever opposite characteristics they are measuring), the particles are then "locked" in to that configuration and repeating the measurement is impossible (or irrelevant).

If your communication device consisted of trillions of entangled particles, with one end on Earth, and the other on Mars, then faster-than-light communication is theoretically possible, but there is no way to manipulate 1 pair of particles in this way repeatedly, much less trillions.

edit on 11-9-2010 by Crimelab because: irrelevancy

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Of course, America has also had its own "sphere of influence" out there in Asia for the last hundred years or so, but the article doesn't seem to be aware of that. Either that, or they must assume that the American sphere of influence is simply benevolent, not aggressive, militaristic or imperialistic.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Old news.

No, sorry, DECREPID News.

I think ATS has gone thru a time warp. 30 Years ago this was HOT news LMFAO!

Time to UP YOUR GAME ATS.....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Surprised we haven't mentioned Bells Theorem, this is the man that figured all this out.
en.wikipedia.org...'s_theorem

So if we looked at a photon particle, it has a rate of spin and a direction in which it is spinning. So these are the things that we can change in orded to send information. So a slowing of the spin could spell the letter A or a change of direction a bit to the left B. We then could spell out our message.

This could be used to send information through a network through an exchange, the first instructions could identify who the message is for followed by the message to be sent. The exchange would hold one of every photon pair.

More interesting to me is if one of the photon pairs was running machines, we could be driving spaceships of mining/ maintenance robots in real time from the comfort of our own homes. Because photons are packets of light, the action of remote controlling machines could rightfully be described as having a 5th dimentional light body which has been prophesised as part of the due 2012 earth changes. Looks to me as if our science will be what takes us there.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
I was thinking that too Skyfloating - 'teleportation' is not really the right word. Instant communication.

Quantumly Entangled Communication ?!

Ok, I understand the two photons need to be 'entangled' and can sort of grasp that concept. I have two questions. Sorry if they sound like Essay Questions for your Physics Exam, but inquiring minds want to know...

1. How do these people detect two photons in a state of quantum entanglement? (I keep envisioning a metal detector for some reason!) ...Or must they entangle the pair themselves?

2. One pair needed only? That can't be, can it? (It's hard to imagine one lil ole light atom on my desk materializing into a whole memo due to entanglement with another photon elsewhere!) Surely it must take many, many entangled pairs working in tandem, otherwise... wow, think of all of the things in this world that would just jump & change before your eyes all day long, due to natural (non-experimental) entanglement!

You have 20 minutes to complete the quiz. Please fold your papers and place your name & section number at the top. The one who makes the most sense (to me) will win. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
**Bonus Question**

Anybody considered the evil uses of this? I mean, couldn't people eventually plant entangled photons in your den (Um, they're light particles-- they could shine them right into your house thru your window.) ...then use them to send freaky holograms to scare the daylights out of you?!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

I love these topics.
Check out some of my other replies to similar thread such as this.
Basically, I don't subscribe to the whole "teleportation" idea.
Sure, we may be able to teleport information using Information Teleportation, but what if we want to teleport a subject composed of more than one substance.
i.e.

Body - physical
Soul - information
Spirit - actual life source

If for instance the subject we will be teleporting comprises of more than one of the above substances, we would not only need to be able to teleport using each of those forms of teleportation, but somehow be able to merge the 2+ teleportation methods together to ensure a complete recontsruction of the subject. If not, there could be a body in a vegitative state on the moon while their Soul remains here on earth for example.

Just because we can supposedly use Information Teleportation on something composed entirely of information and only information means absolutely nothing in regards to subjects composed of one or more substances.

...you know?

That is an interesting theory. Personally, I do not believe in "souls" but I do believe that everything has spirit...life-force would be another way of saying it. However, there is no real scientific evidence of spirits or souls. Everything emotion I feel or things like gut feelings are - scientifically - my brain at work. Therefore I think it would be easy to teleport a living creature as it would only compromise one thing - the physical. Even esoteric disciplines such as meditation or astral projection are more than likely simply brain power. Humans in general know very little about this all important organ. Concepts such as soul and spirit are in my opinion merely our brain at work - aspects of the brain that we humans know very little about. My only problem with accepting that opinion is my personal belief in the life-force I mentioned earlier.

The point I am trying to make is that what we may perceive as different substances of one being - the physical, spirit, and soul - could very well be one substance manifesting itself within humans through different perspectives.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I wouldn't say it's teleportation per say.....But then again I guess it is, by definition of dimensions, all this technique/tech does is show that all things are one and all the information in all existence is contained in all parts of matter, including the smaller parts electrons and such. But we already knew we live in a universe were all things are one and connected, even to different dimensions....hence uni verse....I guess they will follow the pattern, they will develop it for war then when they figure out that it aint so secret, maybe after some wars or such...then the ones who see money in it, as they have been programmed to do will bring it to the populations, then it will be implemented as games or faster tech and such....It's all good as long as they dont try to teleport to much noise around...or if they try to do it to more complex organisms like humans...oh man that could be a headache and hilarious, all those copies of humans running around doing wierd stuff, each thinking they are the original or original in scope.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There must be a way that matter inform itself, so we need to find how it is made. Maybe information is transported in another dimension?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

The article says that this is an ideal means for keeping military Communictations secret, but in the long run there may be more to this. Teleportation of Information may be a precursor for Teleportation of Matter (Beam me Up) and even Time-Travel, because the information is literally "transported" in "no time".

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join