It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of officers in earthquake training... despite only 11 British deaths in 1,000 years

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's not exactly news that London is "overdue", I've seen programmes on this alot over the years.

Also, one has to laugh at everyone being really suspicious of this exercise, which happens frequently anyway.

If there was an earthquake and they weren't prepared, you'd bitch and moan.

If there was an earthquake and they were prepared, you'd all cry conspiracy!

No pleasing some people.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stumason what are you on about you said.

It's not exactly news that London is "overdue", I've seen programmes on this alot over the years.

Well its news to me i never realised we had big quakes here in UK.
And then you said.

Also, one has to laugh at everyone being really suspicious of this exercise, which happens frequently anyway.

Well i glad i made you laugh.
Since when has the UK had earthquake exercise like this seen as you said they happen frequently

You must be interested in this or you would not keep posting in the thread after all it is a conspiracy site.

Thankyou

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mars1

Stumason what are you on about you said.

Well its news to me i never realised we had big quakes here in UK.

So, just because you haven't heard of something, that suddenly makes it suspicious? The UK isn't as geologically inactive as you may believe. It has a rich geological history, for example, Dartmoor is what remains of huge upswelling of magma beneath the crust. The top layers have eroded away, leaving the exposed rock of the hardened magma. Earthquakes happen quite regulary, their just mostly small ones that go unfelt.

Originally posted by mars1
Well i glad i made you laugh.
Since when has the UK had earthquake exercise like this seen as you said they happen frequently

You must be interested in this or you would not keep posting in the thread after all it is a conspiracy site.

Thankyou

I am going to assume that because you weren't aware of earthquakes in the UK, you probably are not aware of anything else surrounding that particular topic either. But that shouldn't then mean that because YOU don't know about something, that suddenly makes it iffy. Hampshire fire and rescue holds an annual exercise for UK SAR teams which has been going on since before Excercise Orion was conceived.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Don't try to play politics with me if you state they hold earthquake exercises all the time link it i am not talking about other exercises.

If pocking fun makes you feel better good for you i will leave it there.

Thankyou

edit on 043030p://2010-09-17T16:11:56-05:00179 by mars1 because: said in anger

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

So you're saying that the authorities often train "hundreds of officers" in something that involves creating a mock disaster scene full of "burning cars, collapsed buildings, and more than 600 actors and amputees?"

If you don't provide evidence for your claim in the form of links etc. then I will have to draw the conclusion that you are talking rubbish.

No pleasing some people.

Well obviously you don't care what your taxes are spent on, but given that earthquakes in Britain in the past 1000 years have only claimed 11 lives then I would presume that everyone else would rightly prefer their taxes should be spent on realistic threats, particularly in the current financial crisis.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
BRITAIN HAS NO TECTONIC PLATES, EARTHQUAKES LIKE THE ONE A FEW YRS AGO - ARE ACTUALLY UNDERGROUND BASES

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

*sigh*

A simple google search would yield the answers you seek. Why must everyone be spoon fed these days..

Here you go..

news.bbc.co.uk...

and

www.hantsfire.gov.uk...

Also, I might add this isn't the first time Excercise Orion has been held either.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by mars1

*sigh*

A simple google search would yield the answers you seek. Why must everyone be spoon fed these days..

Here you go..

news.bbc.co.uk...

and

www.hantsfire.gov.uk...

Also, I might add this isn't the first time Excercise Orion has been held either.

THEY CALLED IT EXERCISE ORION??? THATS GOT 2012 CONNOTAIONS

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

No pleasing some people.

Two words come to mind. Pot.....black.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

One is a small exercise yes it is a earthquake exercise but its for happening in another country at a British embassy.
See what i am saying that don't look fishy.

And your second link don't say anything about earthquakes.
But i agree exercises happen all the time but i saw this as strange and now they say London is overdue a big one you have your opinion and i am sticking to mine i hope it don't happen for a long time but that don't make it no stranger to me.

Thankyou

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

It does, actually. Obviously you didn't read it, you just scanned it.

This year’s exercise, which will take place from the 25th to the 29th June at Fort Widley near Portsmouth, simulates an overseas earthquake scenario in which UK teams are mobilised to back up local urban search and rescue personnel

They are also the largest exercise of their kind in the world, so not quite sure how you think they are "small".

EDIT: I am also not saying there won't be an earthquake, but alot of you are alluding to prior knowledge of such an event or it even being planned as some sort of silly HAARPish nonsense. Not everything is a conspiracy you know and this is one of those times.

edit on 17/9/10 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I find this whole thing suspicious too.

I await the evidence that these exercises in the UK, involving 600 participants from several countries, including Saudi Arabia, preparing for an earthquake disaster, is a frequent occurrence.

Below is a link to a Wiki list of UK earthquakes from the year 974 to the present day.
en.wikipedia.org...

Reger Musson of the Geological Society made a statement on Thursday about UK earthquakes, and it seems to me the press is somewhat exaggerating what he said.

You can see the Guardian article about it here: www.guardian.co.uk...

Specifically, on the Richter strength he says:

" Britain is not close enough to any tectonic plate boundaries for a large earthquake like the catastrophic magnitude 7 quake that hit Haiti earlier this year. But small or moderate quakes can still cause damage".

Other exerpts from the article:

"Britain as a whole typically gets a magnitude 3.5 earthquake once a year, a magnitude 2.5 quake 10 times a year, and around a hundred magnitude 1.5 quakes a year. Every 10 years the country will feel a magnitude 4.5 quake and, on average, a magnitude 5.5 every 100 years.

The British Isles sit in the middle of a tectonic plate that is being squashed from two sides: north-east along a boundary with north Africa and eastwards along a plate boundary in the Atlantic Ocean.

Because of old geological movements, there are lots of small cracks that have developed in our tectonic plate during old phases of mountain-building. "Think of it as a dinner plate that has been broken several times and glued back together again and you're squeezing it," said Musson. "If one bit is not glued terribly well, then it can give a little."

The cost of an earthquake in the south-east of England would be huge. An earthquake in 1989 that hit the city of Newcastle in New South Wales, Australia, caused about £4bn of damage at today's prices, said Musson, despite being smaller than the 1580 English quake."

End quote:

Here's an extract from Wiki on the 5.4 earthquake in Wales in 1984, which gives an idea of the effect of that magnitude.

"The effects were felt throughout Wales, most of England and parts of Ireland and Scotland. There were many reports of minor damage to chimneys and masonry throughout Wales and England, the biggest concentration of damage being in Liverpool, which is located around 65 miles north-east of the epicentre.[2] Minor injuries were also reported in the areas surrounding the epicentral area, and rockslides occurred at Tremadog in Gwynedd."

Anyways, yes, I'm suspicious of this sudden talk of earthquakes. HAARP can do some nasty things.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

I await the evidence that these exercises in the UK, involving 600 participants from several countries, including Saudi Arabia, preparing for an earthquake disaster, is a frequent occurrence.

Done it. You're including the actors in the figures now, nice attempt at spin though. There is at least one exercise every year, the largest of their kind in the world, with particpants from around the globe. They can have over 100 emergency personnel training, with many more playing the casualties.

And I don't dispute there being eathquakes in the UK either, never did, go back and check my posts in this thread. I just dispute the idea this is some sort of nefarious plan by lizard people using the not-so-secret HAARP array.

|EDIT: If it was, why the bloody hell would they prepare us plebs for it?

edit on 17/9/10 by stumason because: Further thinking...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't always (often?) agree with Stu, but this time he has hit the nail on the head.

It may seem suspicious, but it is a normal part of disaster response planning.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Saw this in the paper today,its not what you would call a paper that sticks with the truth but it tells a story.
Quote and source below :

By STAFF REPORTER Published: 17 Sep 2010 A KILLER earthquake in London is long overdue, a leading expert said yesterday. Seismologist Dr Roger Musson from the British Geological Survey said a major tremor would kill thousands of people and cause billions of pounds' worth of damage. He explained the last major quake was in 1580 - and before that in 1382. Their epicentres were in Dover but they caused havoc in London. Dr Musson said: "Something that has happened twice can, and probably will, happen three times." He told the British Science Festival in Birmingham: "Whether it happens tomorrow, or in 20 or 50 years, we don't know."

Source

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by susp3kt

Originally posted by stevcolx
Actually it makes you wonder if there is going to be a HAARP attack in Britain soon. That's the only thing I can think of about what all that training is about?

Who said anything about HAARP? I don't doubt that HAARP has capabilities beyond what is let known to the general public, but that's quite a jump in topic to start talking of a "HAARP attack".

I would lean towards the governments of the world knowing something of geological or solar importance in the near future, with earthquakes being a possible result and the drills are a result of this knowledge.

It's fun to muse over topics like HAARP being a black weapon, but don't let stuff like that infiltrate your life. You will be cowering under the bed before too long with those thoughts.

You think so?? Who do you think is messing with the weather right now. Why all the Chemtrails - apart from poisoning us.

IMO it is certainly not at all implausible. In fact, I believe there is nefarious use of HAARP going on already more than we would imagine.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Done it. You're including the actors in the figures now, nice attempt at spin though. There is at least one exercise every year, the largest of their kind in the world, with particpants from around the globe. They can have over 100 emergency personnel training, with many more playing the casualties.

And I don't dispute there being eathquakes in the UK either, never did, go back and check my posts in this thread. I just dispute the idea this is some sort of nefarious plan by lizard people using the not-so-secret HAARP array.

|EDIT: If it was, why the bloody hell would they prepare us plebs for it?

edit on 17/9/10 by stumason because: Further thinking...

Lizard people is your contribution, not mine. Don't put your own words into my threads and then turn it around and use it to try to discredit me.

The spin is yours. The original reference, made by another poster, was to an exercise in the UK, ( with 600 participants), to prepare for an earthquake. You were the one who said this was a frequent occurrence. I and others therefore asked you for a source of that info.

INow you are saying that emergency disaster exercises do frequently take place world wide, which is different from the initial statement. And of course, I am fully aware that those exercises take place. So, it is you who is doing the spinning (and the strutting) here, no-one else.
I never said you did dispute earthquakes in the UK - please go back and read what I said properly.

Ok, so you dispute the idea that HAARP might be used. That's fine. I don't. That's fine too.

Just don't get why you feel the need to try (unsuccessfully) to belittle people who don't share the same views. Anyhow, no matter, because like a boomerang, that kind of thing goes straight back to where it came from.

edit on 17-9-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Another article in mainstream news that's relevant from 9/16.

www.upi.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The other exercises are nothing compared to this one you talk about wcitizen adding the actors to the figures too right they was part of the exercise so why leave them out

But i know you like your politics so spin away and HAARP as nothing to do with this in my opinion i never said anything about HAARP.

I will not reply to your posts anymore i can see you don't get what i was on about in my OP.
From my OP.

Are they getting ready for something BIG

To me this is very odd we are in a recession cuts everywhere hear and they are spending money on something that mite never happen something's not right or am i just paranoid.

Did you see that TO ME this is odd.

Thankyou

edit on 053030p://2010-09-18T05:42:46-05:00189 by mars1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Lizard people is your contribution, not mine. Don't put your own words into my threads and then turn it around and use it to try to discredit me.

Calm down! I was only atttmping to be humourous, as most nefarious conspiracy theories involve lizards or HAARP. Obviously you're taking this wayyy to seriously.

The spin is yours. The original reference, made by another poster, was to an exercise in the UK, ( with 600 participants), to prepare for an earthquake. You were the one who said this was a frequent occurrence. I and others therefore asked you for a source of that info.

It is a frequent occurence. It happens every year! I've shown you this and you choose to ignore it.

INow you are saying that emergency disaster exercises do frequently take place world wide, which is different from the initial statement.

No I didn't. They take place in Hampshire, every year, involving people from around the world. I never said they "happen worldwide". I did, however, say that EVERY YEAR Hampshire Fire and rescue hold THE WORLDS LARGEST earthquake disaster training. You have some serious reading comprehension issues.

And of course, I am fully aware that those exercises take place.

Obviously you weren't, otherwise you wouldn't think this was any different.

You mentioned that 600 people took part in this exercise in an attempt to make it sound bigger than anything else, which it isn't. That is no different to any other year. You have a hundred or so Emergency responders doing the training and a small horde of volunteers to pretend to be casualties.

Just don't get why you feel the need to try (unsuccessfully) to belittle people who don't share the same views. Anyhow, no matter, because like a boomerang, that kind of thing goes straight back to where it came from.

Because, despite all the real consipracies and crap going on the world, some people seemingly prefer to believe the most outlandish and daft, as in this thread that TPTB are either planning or aware of a specific disaster. I dispute this and have provided evidence to show this exercise is nothing out of the ordinary and happens every year. this isn't even the first time Exercise Orion has been held, but no one even noticed the previous one's because there wasn't some media story knocking around to hype it up. You and Mars continue to believe this is something sinister and ignore the most rational explanations.

The irony is you're the type of people who would accuse the media or Politicians of spreading fear, when in actuallity you're doing it yourselves. I don't like seeing this happen and you're getting all upset because I am disputing it with you.

That's fine, crack on and live your lives cowering in fear from imagined threats. I am just grateful that, for many years, our emergency services train with many others from around the world in being prepared for any eventuality.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join