It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Strikes Colombia - Western Media Buries It!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
An asteroid exploded over Indonesia last year, Oct 8th 2009 and there was the same media blackout. NASA Link!:

Asteroid Impactor Reported over Indonesia

But then again, asteroids or Near Earth Objects are classified as of June 2009.

Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space Rocks Now Classified

[edit on 7-9-2010 by dreb13]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The most interesting thing about the videolinks were those hot newscaster chicks down in Columbia.

They get serious latin hotties, and we get Barbara Walters and Oprah.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thank god this was told me AS me and a whole nieborhood SUNDAY NIGHT watched 3 of these comets float from the sky, it was very funny because it was so orange and just so bright.
Ive seen falling stars before but to see 3 comets is very crazy indeed, well i guess ill stop calling the news stations bugging them.

This happened in Washington Dc, please feel free to call the news agency’s just in case it was a triangle, I hate to tell u all that i saw a space ship but then again what comets fly and float together in threes.

Please call channel 4 ,7 or channel 9 news in Washington DC and ask them did any one else see the 3 BRIGHT ORANGE BALLS OF FIRE IN THE SKY SUNDAY NIGHT BETWEEN 9:30 AND 10;15 EST TIME.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

A fireball by definition is something that shines at -4 or brighter. That's brighter than Mars or Jupiter and about as bright as a bright Venus or brighter.

So what was seen was a typical fireball. Still, a typical or common fireball is spectacular. I'm certainly agreeing with you that what was seen was worth mentioning. Nature is awesome.

I hope you get to see more fireballs. They are out there to be seen.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

I remember this being reported in the news. Great find to go back and show us this event. It points out that incoming space rocks are the norm - not unusual events.

I think it is important to point out that rocks such as this one can explode due to "atmospheric pressure". That's what the link states. I recall studies being done using computer simulations trying to determine if the Tunguska event in 1908 could have been due to an exploding object. My recollection is that the simulations put restrictions on the size of the incoming object.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by dreb13

I remember this being reported in the news. Great find to go back and show us this event.

Wow! You have a great memory....even better than Google News. Honestly, go to Google and click on News and type in "Indonesian Asteroid." Google News doesn't even remember these "incoming space rocks", which obviously "are the norm - not unusual events." as you say.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

News is not an archive. News is as it suggests something 'new'. So if something is no longer new, then expect it to be dropped. That happened nearly a year ago.

What caught my attention was that it happened near the big island shaped like the letter K. Check it out. It's an interesting island with animals such as the so-called pig-deer.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Interesting, I refined my search and changed the parameters on the left to "2009" which in turn provides results from January 2009 to December 2009. That search returned a whopping THREE news articles.

You'd think that a news agency in the US would jump all over this headline:

Asteroid with energy of three Hiroshima bombs explodes over Indonesia www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

The other 2 articles were from News.com.au

No Reuters, No Associated Press...they decided to pass on the Asteroid that exploded with the force of 3 HIROSHIMA BOMBS. It must have been a slow news day month.

crater or not, that sounds newsworthy to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

It's funny what passes for news. I know a place where the international news is carried in a section called "Around the World in 60 seconds". This is followed by 5 minutes of local high school football. There are some whopping big earthquakes in the US that don't make the news because they are located in the Aleutian islands where few people live.

My guess is that the problem is nothing other than it doesn't sell. It's just money. The money only comes if people are interested in the material. You are interested in finding out these sorts of things. Most people are not.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

Try just googling "Indonesian Asteroid". Not the news tab or anything, just google it. There's more than 3 results that way!

This is exactly what I was saying earlier.

You are interested in finding out these sorts of things. Most people are not.

And because of that, it doesn't hold anything in this conversation in my opinion.

[edit on 9/7/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

They are common. Just because they are not spotted as often because people are inside or in some other way cut off from seeing the stars does not make the event any less common. It is estimated that there are several thousand fireballs a day on Earth. This is not several thousands meteors, but several thousand fireballs a day. That's a fairly common event.
Yup. Roughly 50,000 meteors bigger than 10 grams (enough to produce a significant fireball) hit the Earth every year.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Gee I would have thought an asteroid hitting the ground would bury itself.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
So.. looks like my first questions still stands then unanswered. No impact crater pictures or video. All these reports but no evidence of the crater.

hmm

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So did all of the big news outlets actually not report this?

If so, it would seem to indicate that they have received "orders" by none other than the US "high command" to do so.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

So what do you think is the story here?

It seems to me that the only story here is that news reports in Colombia can't get a simple story straight.

Well researched mate. I agree with you this thread is just a marketing ploy for the op!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
LOL with the marketing ploy gimmicks. Do I have to show how many skeptics do the same thing?

I agree with Carlin. I love to sit back and observe humanity. They make me laugh.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
INCOMING!!!

news.blogs.cnn.com...

looks like the one will be close enough to effected by our gravitational pull!!

tried to talk hubby into staying home with me, we could have an end-of-the-world party...but well, he had a point, I can just imaging my supervisor's reaction when I told her that I wasn't coming in, cause the world's ending at 5:12 this afternoon...lol....
and well, tomorrow sure wouldn't be fun for me!!

but, well, some of you unemployed people....
do a little celebrating for me today?? 150,000 miles really isn't that far away, and well, ya never know....
they could have miscalculated the path, or the effect of the gravity, ect.....

today might by the day!!!

by the way...there is no indication from the article that these will hit the earth, they are just gonna be close...
but, well, one can only hope!

[edit on 8-9-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Is today wednesday? Thats a srs question bcos my computer is acting really weird and I dont know what date it is lol

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

ya...today's wednesday...had to check my puter to make sure...
holidays always mess with my internal calendar...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I just read these asteroids would be visible by amateur astronomers. I think Im going to invest in a telescope
Are you familiar with the Superwave theory? I read somewhere that these asteroids may be riding the front of this superwave which will reach us with its full impact in 2012. I think the researcher is called Laviolette or something on this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join