It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Strikes Colombia - Western Media Buries It!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
rabbithole2.com...
VIDEO AND EYEWITNESSES AT THE LINK

Asteroid Strikes Colombia - American Media Buries It!

Around 3:10PM Sunday afternoon residents of Colombia were awestruck when the clear sky was cracked open by a massive fireball that exploded upon impact leaving a 300 foot wide crater and a lot of rattled nerves.

This is not the first time this year that an impact event has been underreported.

Catch the full story here

rabbithole2.com...
VIDEO AND EYEWITNESSES AT THE LINK

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Posting videos and video links - ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of a video, please post
the video or a link to the video, a description of the video's content, and one or two paragraphs offering your own opinion on the video. This will help inspire discussion
or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by GAOTU789]

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Austexdude]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Austexdude

There is always a diversion tactic going on in the Media. And not only that, "Giant Fireball strikes Columbia" is the typical kind of story that the everyday news junky clicks on.
If it bleeds it leads. If the headline had read "Giant Fireball strikes Columbia and Leaves 300 dead/missing" then there would be no way CNN FOX WashingPost or any other site could bury it.
This to me is significant to others its just another naturally occuring phenomenom from space weather.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We also have two upcoming near earth asteroids on the 8th September:
2010 RX30: Comes 0.6 LD to us
2010 Comes only 0.2 LD to us

If you look at the miss distances of most asteroids, these two above sure are close to us in comparison.

Also on September 6, 2010 there were 1144 potentially hazardous asteroids.

www.spaceweather.com...

[edit on 6-9-2010 by rajaten]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Thanks lucus for the news.

Sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you.

Sincerely,

Rajaten

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

Thanks lucus for the news.

Sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you.

Sincerely,

Rajaten

Thank you I appreciate that.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Wow. The OP uses himself as a reference. How cheeky.

That means that this is posted with no evidence. It's a bit of underhandedness to:
1. Use a forum to further your website by adding links
2. Not to mention the conflict of interest of using yourself as evidence
3. An asteroid would not produce a crater mere feet across. It was a meteorite, but did it impact?

The funny part is tracking down the claims. I watch the videos. No images of the impact site. I wonder why? Is it because there is no impact site? So I go to the following:
1. rabbits hole
2. that leads me to andina.com
www.andina.com.pe...
3. I use google translate to get that:

The Mayor of Bucaramanga, Fernando Vargas, said the impact left a crater 100 meters in diameter, and the celestial body hit in the vicinity of the municipality of San Joaquin.

The celestial body across the sky, Colombia, and could not determine at first what it was, moved to the Air Force of Colombia to identify the nature of foreign body in the sky, and then to locate the crash site.

So now we have it that there was an impact site of a specified dimension and people don't know where it is.

4. Since the reports seem so confused I keep looking and learn that:
5. The object never hit the ground. It disintegrated in the atmosphere.

Colombia News

Experts from Santander's Industrial University say that the fireball was probably a stellar object that disintegrated on impact with the atmosphere.

There we have it. There is no impact crater. It was not a ground impact. No witnesses and no images of an impact. Witnesses did hear a distant thud and the sound and fireball sighting was spread over a fair area of Colombia.

Holy cow. Is Lucus going to update his website or is he going to go with the incorrect initial report.

tried to fix broken hyperlink - no joy

[edit on 7/9/10 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
this say’s a lot about them letting us know when a meteor is going to hit us. they will tell us nothing at all! it could have hit a city. they dont wont us to be scared! just how many meteors are close passes and hits? they will tell us nothing at all. a big one could be on the way and we will now nothing. well until the sky lights up. or it could have been some space junk?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i did find this today
is is heating up in space or what

english.ruvr.ru...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Fireballs are rare. What is rare is media coverage. We get the coverage in our area all of the time. There are military bases hundreds of miles away and we hear about fireballs seen near the bases. What's the big deal?

Let's see what people interested in fireballs talk about. Let's see who should we check with? How about:
[www.amsmeteors.org...]AmericanMeteor Society Fireball Log[/url]
Let's start with a group that actually has a long term interest in the subject. There are 41 fireball reports just in September of this year. The reports only cover up to the 5th. That's an average of 8 reports a day!

These folks estimate that there are well over 1000 fireballs a day. The planet is just so big and 70% is oceans so we seen so few.

Fireball FAQ

Several thousand meteors of fireball magnitude occur in the Earth's atmosphere each day. The vast majority of these, however, occur over the oceans and uninhabited regions, and a good many are masked by daylight. Those that occur at night also stand little chance of being detected due to the relatively low numbers of persons out to notice them.

Now that's just the US group. What about a worldwide group?

The "International Meteor Organization" has their own reporting system found here:
International Meteor Organization

OMG, look at the graph on their front page. It shows a huge spike on the 14th of August. Oh sorry that was just the well known Perseids. Just funning with the folks that report all sort of irrelevant things as being new or unknwon.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I b

I cannot edit my post with this format-sorry. It will not let me look at the spot needing trimming. Bad job ats, not because my browser is too old to work...it just is a bad format for reading most pages here. Thank God you left the postings white. I cannot even make out names of thread starters or responders, and it is less efficient than the last format by far.

I believe they quelled the story. No mention of anything remotely looking like hellfire, is better than even acknowledging it. I did read the thread here, and noted the debunking efforts. I dismiss them primarily because the media did deliberately ignore it. It would be possible for the media to relegate this story to the lesser caliber outlets as is their custom.

Automatically this allows doubt, denial, at the very least, skepticism. The articles are all the same, and sketchy, yes. I really wonder what did happen. It is standard meteorite behavior to bury details, even where landing took place, because the rocks are worth a fortune.

However, shame on the western talking heads. They know what this means, obviously, even if they are among the few it concerns...

Is it just my old browser, or are many many news outlets accepting comments, but not showing them???

[edit on 6-9-2010 by davidmann]

[edit on 6-9-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
For those fools that think the newspapers get it right every time read this account.
Colombian 'meteorite' sparks confusion

This article is fun to read. Here are a few highlights.

Colombian media are reporting that authorities have not located the remains of the giant fireball, which is believed to have been a meteorite, but reports in international media say it had been found.

Colombia's Institute of Mining and Geology (Ingeominas) confirmed that no tremors were registered at the time the fireball is believed to have hit the earth, and suggested that it was a meteorite.

Andina.com reported that Bucaramanga Mayor Fernando Vargas confirmed that the phenomenon was a meteorite which left a crater 100 meters in diameter where it crashed in the San Joaquin municipality in Santander.

However Santander Governor Horacio Serpa told Colombian media that authorities have been unable to locate the presumed meteorite.

It's yes. It's no. What is it?

It's a typical effort to get something into print despite the lack of good information.

This reminds me of the IRAS data where the reporters couldn't get a handle on the story and blew it.

I've been wondering why the seismograph stations hadn't registered this impact. Because it never happened!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

ditto as well.

She is in a better place than this latrine.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Now that is messed up. I bet you send your information to ABC, CBS, CNN, BBC or FOX and see which one will air it first if any. I bet they don't though.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So what do you think is the story here?

It seems to me that the only story here is that news reports in Colombia can't get a simple story straight.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I flagged this I think, but thinking right now, its pretty useless if nobody died for the media, since I think this happens kind of every day everywhere

media is all about money and agendas, and this probably doesnt fit neither

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

There was no impact and thousands of fireballs happen every day.

The report that there was an impact by the bolide is false.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Thank you for the facts and sanity. It takes that on ATS, otherwise we would be missing our opportunity to 'deny ignorance'.

To me it sounds as though the american media was smart enough not to run with a partial story and leave everyone wondering what happened, like the rush to print reports that are printed up in the OP.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Maybe they got it right the first timeand then retracted,
what an average meteorite worth these days anyway?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

A meteorite is worth a bunch. The lack of footage showing the impact crater attested to by the mayor speaks for itself. If the mayor knows then half the town already knows. So where is it? Why didn't the seismographs record an impact? Why aren't there wide spread reports of carnage from the rocks splattered out of crater 100m across? Simple answer is it never happened.

There are lots of fireball sightings. For a good laugh look at the Schenectady story from a decade ago or more. It was filmed impacting the ground. Someone video taping a little league game caught the fireball impacting. It destroyed a car. The poor woman's insurance company told her that the totaled vehicle was not covered by acts of god. Lucky day for her. She sold the car to a collector for $50,000. Just when this woman is being screwed by the company along comes a bucket-o-cash. Kind of nice when the little person wins out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join