It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plano speeders could soon face laser guns that can capture video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Article

Plano could soon become one of the nation's first cities to equip police with laser speed guns that also capture video.

Police say the handheld equipment would provide courts with indisputable evidence that speeders would find difficult to contest.

In a broader sense, the technology could open up new ways for patrols to crack down on road infractions that are harder to document, such as aggressive driving and tailgating.

But the proposal, still far from finalized, is already spawning questions. City officials have asked Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott to clarify whether the video equipment would run afoul of a state law that prohibits cities from using automated cameras to catch speeders.

I just saw this on my local news section on Yahoo.coms frontpage.

I live pretty close to the town of Plano and I havent heard anything about this other than this news article. I cant really say if this is good or bad yet, until it is employed. I would think it would be good, but I still have to see how it all works out.

Just thought I would share this.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Pathetic liars IMO

from source

As such, their purpose is not to replace patrols or catch more speeders, but to give police the chance to collect irrefutable evidence of traffic violations

The article says that so far only 79 out of 16,000 tickets are being contested.

IMO, that it is a very low percentage and in most cases the word of the police officer is usually taken when the tickets are contested.

So why would they be so concerned about catching irrefutable evidence?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Because the City of Plano cops are rather pig headed and extemely anal about such things. Of all the cops in the area, the Plano cops are the ones that get under my skin the most. I actually formed that opinion while doing contractor work for that city.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Plano, atleast from personal experience, is really one of those up-tight cities with nothing better to do. I live right next to the city.

As what Jam said, I think the city is pretty much lieing in the article. Only 79 out of 16000. 79 more tickets out of 16000. Does the city really need that much extra ticket revenue? No they dont. Plano has plenty of money to do whatever they want.

From the article.

Plano police have requested $89,000 to purchase 16 video-equipped speed guns, according to a preliminary proposal. The money would likely come from extra monies generated by Plano's red-light camera efforts, Rushin said.

Yes. Speeders is one of the biggest threats to the city......no not really. Money from catching speeders, go to more tech for catching more speeders. Plano has a big heroin problem. Thats one of the places where the whole"cheese" (heroin) thing started in my area, years ago. Im sorry, but I dont know what kind of "logic", if any, that the city is trying to use. Theres a bunch of problems up in Plano.

I think the city wants to use this new tech just to get more money.....the easy way.....and they're not going to spend the money on useful stuff either, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

In a broader sense, the technology could open up new ways for patrols to crack down on road infractions that are harder to document, such as aggressive driving and tailgating.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I totally agree with that. Just a few weeks ago, a Plano cop got a dwi and crashed into something. Plano definantly doesnt have their priorities straight. Ill try to dig up the article if I can find it. The only other cities that are worse than Plano in the area are Flower Mound and Coppell, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

Appreciate pointing that part out. I saw it when I read the article.

But once again, how many of those 16,000 got a ticket for tailgating or aggressive driving and didn't contest it.

And even if they did, Who is the judge going to believe, the officer or the driver?

My bet is on the officer.

Been my experience most people just pay their tickets, regardless of why they were ticketed, because they know they have a slim to none chance of winning in court.

just my 2cents.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
in canada ontario, i already see white police cars with new flat cameras equipped on top of their roof.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

These are laser speed guns that also capture video. I interpret it as they'll be able to write more tickets for infractions that they currently aren't writing while targeting speeders. The statistics that you quoted specifically states 16,000 speeding citations and nothing about other types of violations. .

Originally posted by jam321
The article says that so far only 79 out of 16,000 tickets are being contested.

True but you left out some information.

Originally posted by jam321
But once again, how many of those 16,000 got a ticket for tailgating or aggressive driving and didn't contest it.

Apparently none.

Of the more than 16,000 speeding citations issued in Plano in the current fiscal year, 79 have been contested, court statistics show.

top topics

join