It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

"Even if I found the ultimate answer, why would I share it? Then what would there be left for anyone else to do?"
- Professor Stephen Hawking

an accurate analogy would be:

Stephen Hawking is running a relay race, but refuses to pass on the baton ( share what he knows) to the next runner (next generation) because he has it in his head that he already won the race. he doesn't need to cross the finish line (truth), his team members do not need to break that tape, and he does not need to share what he has discovered because then what would be left for anyone else to do?

and how far away are we from his preferred destination when the distance between us and that destination cannot be measured in numbers, cannot be measure in numbers and letters, and cannot be measured in numbers, letters, and other symbols???

is he conceding that his life's work amounts to nothing?

thanks for nothing Stephen Hawking,
ET

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

[edit on 5-9-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

A sad reflection on the narrow thinking of humans, usually reserved for less educated peoples in the past or remote native tribes:

1. I don't understand - so it must be God.
2. I can't explain - so it must be God
3. I fear death - God will be there.

Whereas:

1. I don't understand - But im not willing to admit I dont know jack sh##
2. I can't explain - But im not willing to admit I dont know jack sh##
3. I don't fear death - I say i dont fear death but if someone put a gun to my head and counted down to zero id cry like a b&**!

Their fixed

[edit on 5-9-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I guarantee the answer to your questions, aren’t as simple as a source of power deciding to create a universe, the idea of a creator is so human it’s not even funny.

The idea of string theory and multiple universes are definitely hard to grasp, but the idea of a special power surrounded by nothingness deciding it’s time to create something beautiful is just not rational. I’m not a fan of the big bang theory either as I think it’s just a metaphor which creates a false idea of an explosion but that just my thoughts, I respect other people’s right to believe in anything they wish.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

You are thinking in linear terms, "there must be a beginning and an end so there must be a creator"

I don’t know everything but, I think infinity is where the answer lies and infinity is something that we humans may not be able to grasp at least in my lifetime.
Infinity has sent physicists and mathematicians crazy there is a really cool doco (Dangerous Knowledge) on some very smart dudes looking into infinity and they either go crazy or commit suicide, but anyway between discovering dark matter/or alike, understanding infinity, and gravity we will most likely crack some big mysteries, and in my opinion unless you want to anthropomorphise nature god doesn’t exist. Fun times ahead

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Just read his book.
Great fairytale...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0fa9e515d2c4.jpg[/atsimg]

*wink*

peace

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Even though I do respect Hawking as a brilliant scientist that he is, he fails massively when he afirms something of that magnitude, which is pathetic. He might as well show me the proofs that God didn't create the Universe, instead of assuming and blabbering that he didn't. As a devout non-believer that I am, I, nevertheless, demand proof that A or B exist/don't exist to make a conclusion. That's called good science.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
How can this even create a debate? God didnt create the universe, thats a fact.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faustian Spirit
Even though I do respect Hawking as a brilliant scientist that he is, he fails massively when he afirms something of that magnitude, which is pathetic. He might as well show me the proofs that God didn't create the Universe, instead of assuming and blabbering that he didn't. As a devout non-believer that I am, I, nevertheless, demand proof that A or B exist/don't exist to make a conclusion. That's called good science.

You can't prove that something doesn't exist. It's up to the claimant of the extraordinary claim to provide the proof that it exists, which is in this case, God. Demanding proof that he doesn't exist isn't good science, and right now the only thing scientists like Hawkings can do is go by the most likely scenario of a God-free universe, which is what they're doing.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I never understand why anyone on this earth (which I respectfully call "kindergarden") believes they have the "real" answer to anything. The more we learn, the more questions we have. We don't have a handle yet on the human body, much less how the "universe was created."

Here's a question for all of you Einsteins:

Why is there anything? Why is there even a universe, the materials that made it, the potential for it to exist, and the potential behind that potential?

Why?

Why anything at all?

We are God godding. Or spirit spiriting.

We won't discover the answers to our questions until we understand our infinite potential and the essence of who we really are.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Stephen Hawking says "The universe can and will create itself from nothing"

Haha...one time a prudent friend said "If someone says the universe created itself, then there saying that a non-existent thing performed an action. A thing must exist to do anything. The action can't precede existence, the action itself is dependent upon the thing existing in the first place. Furthermore, it's as if there saying that thing existed before itself to create itself, and that that thing existed after itself to create itself, which is full of paradoxical jargon."

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Infinity and the Mind is a good book to read.

I think that aliens together with our government set off the bigbang. And that the universe has an implicate or unfolding order thus I do not believe in free will. As a reference to Intelligent Design I quote Bertrand Russell 1872-1970: "Thus 'MATTER' is not a part of the ultimate material of this world but merely a convenient way (for aliens or our government) of collecting events into bundles."

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Reprobation

Exactly, and they treat him as evidence of intelligence.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking says "The universe can and will create itself from nothing"

Actually I just realized that that is a greater faith than anyone who believes in a God. Well done Mr Hawkins, you've created a new religion.
It is based around the belief (that requires much faith) that everything exists out of nothing. Unfortunately you've just put the need for God to exist to make it all happen considering that there must be something outside our dimension and time.

Stephen Hawings in that one statement has shown me he's a fool with geater faith than those he debunks.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
Why is there anything? Why is there even a universe, the materials that made it, the potential for it to exist, and the potential behind that potential?

Why does there have to be a why? Couldn't we just accept that we're here and make the best of it since we are?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I never understand why anyone on this earth (which I respectfully call "kindergarden") believes they have the "real" answer to anything. The more we learn, the more questions we have. We don't have a handle yet on the human body, much less how the "universe was created."

Exactly my point. Hawking's trying to become immortal, but dream on, I guess.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I agree. The reason atheism is on the rise is that most educated, free-thinking people are aware of the idiotic nature of creation theories. The ignorance one must possess to believe such a thing is not only terrifying, its beyond my ability to understand. I went to church every Sunday as a child, never once believed a word of it. Common sense led me to that conclusion and I kind of feel sorry for anyone who buys the bs.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't think the question of whom or what created the universe will ever be answered to everyone's satisfaction. I'm no physicist, though it seems to me that the universe had to be created from something, but just what created that 'something', and so on and so on.... Some folk think it was God, but who or what created He/She? Others say it was created by an explosion of mass of some sort, but again where did the mass come from?
I think Prof. Hawking and other great minds should put their heads together and come up with solutions such as free energy and other ways to save the planet. The creation of the universe happened, but instead of trying to solve how, let's solve Earth's and humanity's problems first.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye

Why does there have to be a why? Couldn't we just accept that we're here and make the best of it since we are?

No, not if you're a scientist and are constantly searching the truth, you can't.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faustian Spirit

Hawking is not about good science. The only thing that made a name for him was proven wrong and he even admitted it. If he was not a cripple no one would know him. That is what he is known for being a cripple.

He backs nothing up with facts. NOTHING he makes wild claims that he does not even try to prove. He is a snake oil sales man.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Subjective Truth]

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join