It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I understand that m-theory takes the problem of one universe and makes it infinitely more problematic by giving us an infinite number of universes. It solves nothing in the end, because we are left with the same fundamental question. Also, don't assume you know what m-theory is, because you really don't. Most debates on this forum seem to break down into a series of a-priori statements getting tossed about.

Originally posted by Confusion42

Originally posted by jaktenstid
Saying that existence came into being from non-existence is absolute lunacy. And then scientists like Hawking attempt to "rationalize" this notion by tossing about imaginitive theories on multiverses, supergravity, superstrings, and the like. And people are paying attention to this crap?

Do you even understand M-Theory?

And saying that existence came into being from non-existence is absolute lunacy yet saying that there was a Creator who came about from non-existence (if that is indeed your viewpoint), is beyond lunacy.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I understand that m-theory takes the problem of one universe and makes it infinitely more problematic by giving us an infinite number of universes. It solves nothing in the end, because we are left with the same fundamental question. Also, don't assume you know what m-theory is, because you really don't. Most debates on this forum seem to break down into a series of a-priori statements getting tossed about.

Originally posted by Confusion42

Originally posted by jaktenstid
Saying that existence came into being from non-existence is absolute lunacy. And then scientists like Hawking attempt to "rationalize" this notion by tossing about imaginitive theories on multiverses, supergravity, superstrings, and the like. And people are paying attention to this crap?

Do you even understand M-Theory?

And saying that existence came into being from non-existence is absolute lunacy yet saying that there was a Creator who came about from non-existence (if that is indeed your viewpoint), is beyond lunacy.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
So if Hawkins categorically states that GOD DIDN'T CREATE THE UNIVERSE, I assume then he has met and spoken to or seen GOD to totally eliminate him from the equation?
I'd be more interested in hearing about this meeting with the great entity than any scientific theory he could ever come up with.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Originally posted by Faustian Spirit
Even though I do respect Hawking as a brilliant scientist that he is, he fails massively when he afirms something of that magnitude, which is pathetic. He might as well show me the proofs that God didn't create the Universe, instead of assuming and blabbering that he didn't. As a devout non-believer that I am, I, nevertheless, demand proof that A or B exist/don't exist to make a conclusion. That's called good science.

Hawking is not about good science. The only thing that made a name for him was proven wrong and he even admitted it. If he was not a cripple no one would know him. That is what he is known for being a cripple.

He backs nothing up with facts. NOTHING he makes wild claims that he does not even try to prove. He is a snake oil sales man.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Subjective Truth]

I am sorry, I am not trying to debate opinions, but facts. If his peers consider him to be the greatest theoretical physicist of his time, not to mention a true authority on black holes, which are simply the most confusing "events" tha occur in the universe, so I won't argue that. One thing is to have an opinion regarding facts, another is to be stubborn and ignore the facts. You could say, though, that because his field of expertise is THEORETICAL, he could very well be wrong, but what you're saying is that he's not even a real scientist. Sorry, that is pathetic and uninformed.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
So if Hawkins categorically states that GOD DIDN'T CREATE THE UNIVERSE, I assume then he has met and spoken to or seen GOD to totally eliminate him from the equation?
I'd be more interested in hearing about this meeting with the great entity than any scientific theory he could ever come up with.

Just as I was about posting my opinion, you post came up in sight. For Stephen Hawking to make this statement, I'm not too sure what he has in mind. But is this statement not like saying God doesn't exist? If there was a God (not talking of lesser gods) who didnt create the universe, what is then his usefulness? S.H. could simply have said that the world came out of nothing. Believing in God and a self creating universe do go together. Hope I made some sense.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

If I were to say "God doesn't create rainbows, rather the sun shining through droplets of water in the atmosphere", would I have to commune with God to make this statement with any authority?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If there was truly nothing, not even gravity would be there to pop a universe out of thin air.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

I see you used a common, yet effective brainwashing technique here in your post. Have you done this before, was it by accident, or did you simply repeat an argument that you picked up somewhere else? I'm not criticizing you for doing it, I just wanted to point that out and ask you where you got it. I'm referring, of course, to the technique in particular in which you ask your target audience three questions that the target audience will (to the speaker) obviously respond to with a 'yes' and then follow it with a proposed idea or rhetorical question of which the preceding three questions have absolutely no relevance.
As for the God vs. Science debate, I knew I would be kicking myself for clicking on this thread, however I would like to point out to both sides that the Big Bang Theory was first proposed by Georges Lemaitre, a Roman Catholic PRIEST. The point is that there is no God vs. Science debate because one has nothing to do with the other.
Show of hands, how many people who have an opinion on Stephen Hawking's book have actually read the book or even plan to?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I watched like 7 parts of Master of the Universe and i must give props to Stephen Hawking regardless of what he believes. The man is more than handicapped and he still isn't giving up the fight for searching for the truth. I wonder if Hawking ever thought about a creator existing without rules so to speak. The god of the bible seems like a tyrant and I don't blame Hawking for opposing. I wonder if he gets head just for the sake of getting head.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Inevitably, even Hawking's explanation runs into the same problem as those espousing God....

If the Universe created itself.....WHAT did it create itself out OF? The idea of it just spontaneously happening requires just as much faith as the idea of the intelligent design of a Creator.

What was there before the Universe?
Where did God come from, who created him?

Both questions have the same answer...they just were. And both of those answers require faith.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He should take psychedelic drugs and then he would understand that infact he doesn't understand anything. Some people are intelligent enough to admit not knowing, some people don't give a rats as and will believe.

some people will claim to be scientific and say things like this. I can only laugh.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Inevitably, even Hawking's explanation runs into the same problem as those espousing God....

If the Universe created itself.....WHAT did it create itself out OF? The idea of it just spontaneously happening requires just as much faith as the idea of the intelligent design of a Creator.

What was there before the Universe?
Where did God come from, who created him?

Both questions have the same answer...they just were. And both of those answers require faith.

You sir, are absolutely right. Faith either way.. A question that also remains is, is the universe alive just as much as we are? Mother earth, father time, wtf?. One of my brothers suggested, "Maybe the creator blew himself up and we are all pieces and fragments of the creator" which would mean we all are the creator living single lives.

What about trauma and split minds? Where is the connection? I would love a reply.

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join