It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

www.cnn.com

Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing,"

"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,"

His answer is "M-theory," which, he says, posits 11 space-time dimensions, "vibrating strings, ... point particles, two-dimensional membranes, three-dimensional blobs and other objects that are more difficult to picture and occupy even
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A rabbi responds

But his finding were described by Sacks as an "elementary fallacy" of logic.

"There is a difference between science and religion. Science is about explanation. Religion is about interpretation. The Bible simply isn't interested in how the universe came into being."

"But there is more to wisdom than science. It cannot tell us why we are here or how we should live. Science masquerading as religion is as unseemly as religion masquerading as science."

www.guardian.co.uk...

This should be interesting because it may spark alot of scientific and philosophical debates, which is a good thing.

I would probably agree with Hawkings though, God is not required to create the universe.

And then the rabbi said the bible doesn't care who created it.
But then why call God the creator then?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's stated so "as a matter of fact" when it's not definitive proof or disproof. That's bad science.

He should take another swing at the information paradox before he tries debunking universe wide unprovable issues.

Science is not opinion and that is exactly what this is!

[edit on 2-9-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The point isn't that there is no God, its that the Universe could have created itself without one. The idea is that the creation of the Universe was an inevitable consequence of the natural order of nature. In a broad sense you could term the law and order of nature God.

I agree that it's rather premature to claim one way or the other that there is or isn't a god or gods but Stephen Hawking is entitled to his opinion

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Star and flag!

I've always, ever since childhood, felt that this theory that a 'God' created the universe..that never really made sense.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

"But there is more to wisdom than science. It cannot tell us why we are here or how we should live.

As ever, only the religious are dumb enough to need someone else to tell them how to live.

Needless to say "Banana Man" et al will have to actually read a little or fall back on the good old "It's all a matter of faith" trick

Those collection plates and tithing accounts will be a little lighter this month no doubt

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Well, the media has determined it is time to debate the matter.... especially since his new book to this effect hits the store shelves in two weeks.... how else do you get to put it on the "Top seller" list before it's available?

Honestly, how reasoning can lead someone to expect to understand the infinite is beyond me....

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have been pondering this question for a while. Existence existing....how? Spontaneous creation is just as good an answer as god created everything.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
The point isn't that there is no God, its that the Universe could have created itself without one.

While that is true, Hawkings still uses the Big Bang Theory in reference as Fact.

It's not fact, it's a theory.
And I doubt it's true either.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Spot on! I tend to agree with this.

You put it a lot better than I could though~

[edit on 2/9/2010 by noeyesnoearsnofacenofears]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
It's not fact, it's a theory.
And I doubt it's true either.

"A theory" is actually quite a strong designation for something that is falsifiable and has a great deal of empirical evidence in support of it as an explanation. If you call it a "theory", scientifically speaking, it's quite a favorable statement.

If you don't think it's true, find something verifiable that it cannot explain that undermines it's basic tenets.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
the universe is the beginning and the end...without we or anyhting else would not be idc how many avanced aliens there are that try to portray themselves as god! the truth is we are all at the whims of the universe

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
this is where you lose me"vibrating strings" have never ever believed that, even when i was in high school.

to me string theory is complete bulls***,
im not religious but It is not impossible that there ws a creator of the universe as we know it. there are much much stranger questions in science.

What really was the begginning? what was it before the universe was created.
did everything really come from absolutly nothing? how?

[edit on 2-9-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

my theory is that instead of one big bang there were multiple big bangs why do i believe this? b/c there are super massive black holes at the center of every galaxy/milky way in the universe a massive explosion had to create these seemingly ageless holes...the universe didnt come from nothing it came from energy passed over or leaked from another universe each universe has a membrane much like a cell sometimes links or worm holes are bridges between 2 cells and energy is exchanged...this would make it possible for the growth and death of universes and also the recycling of energy..as everything is a cycle!

[edit on 2-9-2010 by metalholic]

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A good ol' trip to conscience 4th and 5th dimension should reveal the answers you seek.

You people are all thinking in 3rd dimensional terms that is why you will endlessly NEVER understand it.

Wait for a near death experience, rebirth or meditation experience and your mind will evolve beyond the limitations of your brain.

Hawking is a fool

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

any substantial evidence of this? if not then it will go directly on the theory shelf!

so maybe he is and maybe he isnt!

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Poor shmuck is still trying to figure out the Infinite with a finite mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

On the contrary. Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe looks a bit more matter of fact than you make it out to be don't you think?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

how exactly is the mind finate?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by Visitor2012

any substantial evidence of this? if not then it will go directly on the theory shelf!

so maybe he is and maybe he isnt!

That's the beauty, and the joke as well. We can all experience this for ourselves, the proof is within ourselves. No way around it...we will all see it in due time. But the more we hang onto scientific and religious dogma, the deeper the truth gets buried.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join