It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

People need to wake up and realize that when you are in public view, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. And, this is also a nice way the government makes *average* and even *below average* folks feel important...

First off, just wanted to add, they can already do this without planting gps in or on your car. Everything is already mapped out with cell phones, navigation systems etc...
I can't really tell if you are being ironic here?
I'm with you on the public privacy, that's kind of a contradiction in itself, wouldn't you agree? You can't be in public and have privacy at the same time, that's a given.

On the contrary, you should be able to have privacy in your own home, and your own property. You should be able to live without pressure from the outside world when confined to your own private areas. Celebrities have an expectation of this also, albeit they may have to extend privacy settings(taller gates/fences and tinted/mirrored windows). Still, it's a free world, people can knock on your gate all day long if they want. But they can't spy on you. Not legally.

Just kidding, overall, too. Seriously, personally, I have nothing to hide, so if they want to waste billions of dollars on this ridiculous program, they will essentially get a bunch of USELESS data that costs too much to maintain (like when you sell your car or trade it in for a new one).

Two things to remember, one, the billions of dollars wasted comes from one place and one place only, your pockets and mine. And two, the data is useless, you say, but that depends on who sees the data, and what it will be used for. You can't fathom the consequences before it is too late, what if they decide to use it for evil? What if they decide to prove that you have driven a dead guy to the quarry last night and dumped him(while you were sleeping on the couch at home, they manipulate the gps data as to show your car driving out to the quarry)?

The logistics of this operation far outweigh anything they might gain from employing it. In fact, the "fact" that "they" are doing this is most likely a hoax.

I agree completely. The hoax part of this story is, they can already do this to a certain extent, they know when we leave home, where we drive to, what we buy, when we come home, what channel we tune in to, what we use in elctric power every night, etc... This story is a conditioning story. Telling people that it is normal to not have privacy. That it is not a right. But it is.

Joe

[edit on 26/8/10 by JoeSignal]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

You are not alone we in ATS has been warning people for years, but the older generation like me can get away with modern gadgets is not so with the younger generations that can not live without them.

Yes you can buy a car and force the dealer to no install GPS or on star, but is unless you pay cash is nothing you can do with the black boxes.

Our younger generation has been primed to become nothing but slaves and servants to a government and system run by elites that wants to know all you moves.

I am down outrage and will fight once they try to put the darn gadgets on my body as it has been planned for a long time.

The Rchips are coming in the name of medical records and medications monitoring very soon.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JoeSignal

Edited to remove earlier post which no longer has any relevance.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Dial back on the paranoia. I am further up on the list, being ex federal ,than you.

First off not paranoid, just very aware.
Secondly, I guess congratulations or geez that's too bad you made a list?
Lastly, I have no idea who you are,
nor you who I am.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

This isnt breaking news !!! The government have been doing this for years! Besides , they dont NEED to put devices on your cars, because they just track your fancy consumerist GPRS enabled phones, or use triangulation to track older devices, and the governments of the world have NEVER paid much attention to the LAW regarding tracking, bugging, or bombing ANYTHING, certainly not in the higher teir of government and intelligence.
Get a grip. They are building hell for us. Wake up and see it for what it is, that way we might be able to deconstruct it later.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
IMHO The OP and others have pointed out this as a legal ruling and the implications for Interpretation down the line.

We are all aware of retinal scans, body scans, fingerprinting, tracking ability of various devices, phone tappin et al and I am sure the OP is as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Billions of wasted tax dollars. Google map NSA headquaters
count the cars parked their. And then times that by $15 dollars
an hour. Don't remenber, think I counted 190 cars. All we need
is are local law enforcement, what a waste.
Agree, that they could set a person up for some crime he didn't
commit.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Reply to post by TrueBrit

On the contrary, the ruling is indeed news since it is a recent decision. As Bananamontana pointed out, I am aware of all the ways we can be tracked. Obviously since I'm making this post with a cell phone. What many of you seem to be having difficulty grasping is that this ruling makes what once required a warrant to be done legally, and to be admissable in court, can now be done legally on a whim in this jurisdictional area. This is a very big deal with potentially disastrous consequences.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but this is the least of my worries when it comes to being tracked by GPS. Had this article been posted 10 years ago.. Maybe I'd be worried. If anything, I feel like this is information is to divert your attention from how much they really know about where you are. Have you seen Apple's latest gimmick? Traitorware? It can literally detect your pulse, and "frequency vibrations".. Take pictures of you unkowingly, and record and send your conversations and voice while you're not even making calls or using their device. The scary part is, it's in pretty much every new generation Apple product.. Including Ipods. They say it's to stop theft, and "jailbreaking" devices. Yeaaaah, just like the Patriot Act was enacted to stop terrorism.

How many of you have a cellular device that can tell you where you are within a couple meters? That would be any of you that has turn by turn navigation; which covers pretty much every phone offered by any wireless provider since 2008. The government can track my car all day long, I can always just park it somewhere else and go for a walk. I can't however park my phone. Cell phones are with us all the time and so is Big Brother. Anytime you connect to the internet from a device registered to you known to be frequently used by you, "they" know where you are. That's wireless internet too. They may not be able to pinpoint your location to the exact foot.. But they know your general vicinity.

Now if you live off the grid, and don't own any 21st century technology.. "Agents" putting tracking devices on your car might be a concern. I'm pretty sure though, that anyone using the internet to view this website, is ON the grid. I no longer think it is a question of whether or not they are doing this sort of thing.. It's a question of how do we stop them, or how can we escape it? We've been headed towards an Orwellian society for quite sometime now.. It just hasn't been until now that they've been so open about what they're doing. I attribute much of their openness to their knowing that the majority of people don't care nor do they recognize the ramifications of what is going on. Too many sheeple are happy with the status quo. Too many people are oblivious to what is really going on.. Too many people.

This is definitely a gross invasion of privacy.. But what isn't anymore? There are companies out there that know more about you than your own family. I can't imagine what the government knows. We're all just numbers and commodities. Our government and major corporations don't see us as people. We're cattle. How much money can we make them?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

It's not just Apple products... any cell phone, especially any "smart" phones can provide interested federal agents with amazing real time intelligence and surveillance into the lives of anyone who owns one.

And now just about every living American has one, and you really have to go out in the middle of nowhere to find areas that there is no signal.

Occasionally, they need more than your cell phone can provide, and they have many options, including exclusive use of satellites.

Bottom line, you really have to have done something really bad, or really pissed off some feds before you'd be a target for these levels of surveillance.

Most of you have nothing to worry about, but expect NO privacy if for some reason you become a target for investigation/surveillance.

It has always been this way, new technologies and communications systems have made it easier for them and that is it.

They still have to have warrants or legal approvals if they plan to use anything they collect on you in a court of law.... But that doesn't stop them from doing as they wish without warrants and approvals.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This technology is nothing new and it doesn't bother me, as I am a law abiding citizen.

This line tells me about your mindset.

Right wing gun toting Christian.

LMAO!!! Anyone who knows me on these boards knows this:

I am a liberal gun owning (not toting) agnostic.

Thanks for the laugh though

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Believe me, I know it's more than just Apple. Apple is just cocky enough to come out and say it, because they know people won't quit buying their "trendy" products because of it. The same would go for anyone else.. And I know that technology is being used for all types of nefarious reasons in all different mediums. We're to the point now we're people don't even care.. And they can openly talk about it. That's what scares me more than anything.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

My apologies, must have hit the wrong "reply to:"-button.
The error has been corrected.

Joe

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

I think a small measure of fear is okay... But the reality is, and has always been that the feds will use any and EVERY tool available to them in any investigation or covert operation, especially for surveillance and tracking.

Realistically, nothing (other than technologies) has changed.

The reason most people don't care is because they believe they have nothing to fear, and have done nothing wrong so they aren't worried.

And it's true, until you see how corrupt the federal agencies can be, and how easily they can destroy the lives of anyone for any reason.

Pray you never encounter the above.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

No apologies are necessary, my friend. I figured it was a mistake, but it was clear that you had left the site, and I wasn't sure when you would return so I felt compelled to make clear those quotes weren't mine. Thanks for the correction. I'll go back and edit out my post above for the sake of cohesion.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I really have no reason to worry.. That I know of anyhow? Its the how much they know about me regardless that is a bit spooky. If for any reason they did need to ruin your life, there is nothing you could really do. I think any fear that may stem from thoughts like this, come mostly from knowing that I really have little or no control over my well being if it came down to it.

The GPS car tracking made me chuckle a little bit. As state before, I really feel that it's more a less a way to draw attention away from what is really going on behind the curtains. Or to introduce people that really have no idea what their capabilities are.. Ah well, we'll never really know what they do. Bugs me, but not enough to ruin one second of my day haha. If I can't control it, or change it.. There isn't a whole lot of room for worry. Just one of those facts of life at this point.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I caught my movements being tracked by the local FM station while driving around town way back in 1981.

There was a treasure hunt... a type of contest that was supposedly tracking a blue diamond's movements around town. Whoever was lucky enough to locate the diamond... would get to keep it.

So... to make a long story short... I finally figured out that it was me who was being tracked when they said the diamond was heading south on the same street that I just happened to be driving on one night after coming back from the mall. How did I know that it was me? Well... there is an upside and a downside to this street... and when I was at the highest point... I could see all the way to the end of the street in both directions. So I knew it was me because I was the only vehicle on the street when the blue diamond's location/movement was broadcast... and guess what color my car was? You got it... BLUE.

Whenever I would get home... I would turn on the radio. And the first thing they would say after I arrived home was... "No need to look any further... the diamond is right under your nose." Indicating that I was no longer moving around town.

So if these GPS thingies have only been operational for the past eight years... what would be your guess that made it possible for a local FM station to track my movements around town way back in November 1981???

[edit on 26/8/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Reply to post by Ian McLean

Finally got a chance to read the pdf. Wow. I highly recommend that everyone, especially the "it's no big deal" crowd, go read the dissent. Wish I was on a computer so I could quote some of it, but it's only 13 pages. A fairly quick read and well worth it to understand the dissenting judges opinion on why this ruling was a horrible idea.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Wow Jenna. I half suspected that the thread title was exagerrated.

If anything it is understated!

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, I don't have time to read the whole thread, BUT the Gov. has technology to triangulate with cell towers and track folks movement via cell phone, blackberry, iphone etc.

Even back in the 80's they found Pablo Escobar this way.

If they don't need a warrant to plant a GPS unit on your car on your own property, they certainly wouldn't need one to flip a switch and track folks via wireless devices.

The concept that they are defining private property as only places where a UPS person or Kids would not be able to access...just inane.

If a nieghborhood child is theoretically able to enter your home...then the police don't need a warrant to enter or search your home?

What an idiotic standard...Are these folks actually Judges? did they get thier law degrees online?

How about...if it is your private property, then it is your private property.

Did this man not purchase the land his driveway is on? If it isn't his property whose is it? He is due a refund on mortgage payments. I would bill the government and cite the court ruling...evidently the land not secured behind a locked door is thiers...and they owe some back payments to the mortgage company.

Scary...very scary. Hopefully this goes to the higher courts quickly and some more intelligent rulings are on the way.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Reply to post by Ian McLean

Finally got a chance to read the pdf. Wow. I highly recommend that everyone,

Agreed!!

excerpt here as it agreed with me on how stupid the "wandering child" standard was.

The panel authorizes police to do not only what invited
strangers could, but also uninvited children—in this case
crawl under the car to retrieve a ball and tinker with the
undercarriage.

But there’s no limit to what neighborhood kids
will do, given half a chance: They’ll jump the fence, crawl
under the porch, pick fruit from the trees, set fire to the cat
and micturate on the azaleas. To say that the police may do
on your property what urchins might do spells the end of
Fourth Amendment protections for most people’s curtilage.

The very rich will still be able to protect their privacy with
the aid of electric gates, tall fences, security booths, remote
cameras, motion sensors and roving patrols, but the vast
majority of the 60 million people living in the Ninth Circuit
will see their privacy materially diminished by the panel’s ruling.
Open driveways, unenclosed porches, basement doors left
unlocked, back doors left ajar, yard gates left unlatched,
garage doors that don’t quite close, ladders propped up under
an open window will all be considered invitations for police
to sneak in on the theory that a neighborhood child might, in
which case, the homeowner “would have no grounds to complain.”
Id.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join