It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

www.time.com

Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The article goes on to say:

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.

What in the heck are they thinking? I got chills reading this article and now I'm just getting angry. They have no right to stick GPS tags on our cars when those cars are sitting in our private driveways without a warrant.

Fortunately other courts have ruled differently, but this sets a very, very bad precedent for future cases heard before this court. The article states, and I agree, that this will likely end up before the Supreme Court eventually. I just hope they have the brains required to overturn this ruling.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
wouldn´t stepping on someones private property (without permission) be considered trespassing?

i mean that is a crime, isn't it? (geniuine question)

we're living in eerie times.

S&F for the article

[edit on 25-8-2010 by kn0wh0w]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Time to get overly familiar with the underside and other hidyholes on your vehicles!

Growing up on military bases during the 80's (when the northern ireland troubles were active) I was always taught how to check around a vehicle for anything suspicious.... On cold mornings I would start the car........ wait a minute DAMN YOU FARTHER!!!!!!

Any way if your worried you can do many things, cover your parking area with motion detection CCTV? those burger flood lights, if you want to go hitec you can get scanners/locators for these things, but they may only ping at random times, you could be there all day chasing random blips that turn out to be a neighbours mobile phone

Any way don't you yanks shoot first and ask later?
- I'd be out on a lawn char with ol' Betsy trying to bag me an agent.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by kn0wh0w

Depends on local laws. In my area we have to post no trespassing signs to protect ourselves if someone gets hurt on our property and we haven't given them permission to be there. (i.e. Drowns in my pool, breaks a leg by tripping over a tree root, etc.) But I can call the police to remove someone who is trespassing on my property without having a sign posted.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well if the trespassing A - holes want to follow me to the market they will be in for a big surprise.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Reply to post by Now_Then

Those are good suggestions. Well, except the one about shooting first and asking questions later. That one's a good way to end up in prison. Granted we wouldn't have to worry about GPS tags on our cars, but in my area you can't claim self defense unless they break into your house and are inside when you shoot them.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I suggest everyone by an inspection mirror, though that would do little, if anything at all. It would be easy to put a GPS module on the car, in a place where it would be difficult to find, I suppose.

As angering as this is, can we really expect anything different? Would we expect the bought, paid for and corrupt courts to actually rule on the side of the people? The people have absolutely nobody with influence and not a single branch of government actually looking out for our interests anymore. We are nothing but cattle, waiting to be herded into the next pen.

Sadly, we are loosing, or have lost, all ability to target and fight tyranny in government and the unfortunate and ironic thing, is that we basically begged for it to happen, with a little persuasion of course. By the time Americans actually wake up and smell the coffee, it will be far too late. It's actually angering to sit back and watch this unfold, while the public is preoccupied with the silliest of things, such as American Idol or the Ground Zero Mosque.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Airspoon is completely right, we've lost our ability to take our country back from these goons. There isnt one country anymore who is in it for the people. Its really sad to see, the best we can hope for is that the gov slips up some how, and gives us a way in to beat them. The only way I see that happening is an all out world war unfortunately. We the people, those that are left will be able to hopefully form some type of a resemblence to a government,(a good one) As far as this tracking vehicle business is concerned, this is an outrage. If I ever find a device like this on my truck, I'm going to have some fun. Maybe tie it to a raccoon or something!
They're all over our neighborhood..

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Super scary....but this has been going on for a while. The way the government gets away with this sort of behavior is due to the Government using Private Security Corporations who freely "give" their information to law enforcement.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I suggest everyone by an inspection mirror, though that would do little, if anything at all.

Yhea agreed on how effective that could be... When you look at the needs of an actual device it could be very small indeed, lets just say it blips to the mobile phone network (which I think would be the most practical way) the biggest component would probably be the battery, and given the devices use (stuck to a car) it can 'scavenge' a charge from the motion of the vehicle very easily... These modules could easily be the size of... well lets choose something - your ear lobe
guess what I was scratching when I thought of that

Seriously it could be that small and magnetic, would take no time at all to install... All the hardware and antenna and battery/energy scavenger could be installed on a single microchip... Well maybe the energy scavenger would be a separate unit, but still very small.

I guess it would boil down to weather they built the things using off the shelf components (meaning a bigger device) or specifically designed the thing (higher cost unless mass producing but much smaller size).

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Cant find it if they put it in your gas tank... They should be tracking SATURN lol

Heavenly bodies awake!!!!!!!!

[edit on 8/25/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If you have a garage or backyard even, use it. It would be pretty cool if you could build some type of booby trap, though I wouldn't reccomend it, as not only could you be sued, but you will only piss the police off. However, it's fun to imagine someone trying to slap a GPS on your car and gets his/her hands cut off.

I think that there is very few valid reasons to track someone, if any at all. If someone did something illegal, arrest them. If they haven't or you don't have the proof, then they shouldn't be harassed.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Funny you should mention that! - I was thinking about an old story I heard where a guy with a motorcycle used a MINE! to booby trap the area... OK it was a pain mine that they use in paintball games, and he was told in very short order to remove it but in the letter to a motorcycling magazine he suggested that he was going to replace the paint with, well something a little more noxious... Basically he liked Mexican food

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That is a pretty awful ruling and good for Judge Kozinski.

It seems it is binding for the time , other courts are coming to different conclusions it will if pushed go to the Supreme Court.

lets hope it does and overules.

Fortunately, other courts are coming to a different conclusion from the Ninth Circuit's — including the influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. That court ruled, also this month, that tracking for an extended period of time with GPS is an invasion of privacy that requires a warrant. The issue is likely to end up in the Supreme Court.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sad part is, mostly, they won't have a need to low-jack a car since many have built in navigation systems (OnStar, etc), and every cel phone can be tracked by tower triangulation, anywhere anytime. They track you by credit card/atm use, biogenic surveillance, plane/train travel, doctor/pharmacy visits, TV usage, various licensing, census, surveys, email IP tracing, bills, grocery reciepts, earth mapping/postal referencing, etc etc... Many people leave an identity thumbprint the size of a house.
They know who we are, where we go, what we buy, who we know, our medical history, credit ratings, travel plans, employment and historical salary, schools/colleges, marriages/divorces, births/deaths, our benifits and debts, police records, military backgrounds, links to friends and family... It just goes on and on.

Our addiction to the digital age has become our nemesis, even though the technology is really a good idea with bad intentions with multiple uses. It makes our lives easier at the expense of being monitored.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

However, it's fun to imagine someone trying to slap a GPS on your car and gets his/her hands cut off.

made my night
it is quite funny to imagine that

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's time to get one of those

gpsjammers.net...

or

www.amazon.com...

But I presume most already have a GPS device installed in their car, so like most mobile phones, I'm sure that it can be "remotely" activated if needed be.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Reply to post by OuttaTime

Very good point. As far as I am aware though, they can't legally track any of that without a warrant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. Regardless, these invasions of privacy should not be going on. We have the right to privacy, and that should extend to every detail of our lives so long as we aren't infringing on the rights of anyone else. Just because they have the ability to do something doesn't mean they should.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Check your wheel wells near your forks, side frame rails or inside the bumper casings ( as most older cards are hollow metal and easily accesible). When I was working loss prevention we worked with Osceola county Sherrif's Office Theft detectives to track and bust 4 different organized shoplifting rings that were hitting stores and selling to the flea markets. We already knew what cars these guys were driving through camera and regular detective work. It was a matter of stake-out at the stores and as soon as we see them pull up, radio the detective he would slap it on, and follow them to the fleamarket and bust them and the buyer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join