It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Reply to post by Shar

So we should just ignore when judges give them permission because it's going to happen anyway?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

i don't think you are understanding this at all.....things has changed sadly.....it is what it is......now that you woke up what are you going to do about it? when will the people stop using GPS? will they give it up? will they give up their cell phones??? i mean seriously i was upset when cameras started being everywhere.....again i did not give them permission to take my photo at every street corner, or because i go into a store, etc.....but it happens dont it????? what are we going to do about them snapping our pictures constantly???? what are we going to do about them using the device at an airport that sees right through us????? i mean come on no we didnt give them this right or we didnt think we did...but they took it anyways....this is what you need to understand......so question is what are you going to do about it?????

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I'm honestly amazed that here, of all places on the internet, people have no problems with the government being given free reign to add their own gps device to your car and track you for any reason without a warrant in your own driveway no less. Really and truly amazed.

The only reason I'm still alive is because I can no longer afford a vehicle. So being stalked via GPS while in a vehicle is no longer an issue with me. As far as my cellphone is concerned... I've learned how to conceal it's signal when not in use. Not much I can do about the computer, though.

So contrary to the usual assumptions... I've never been one to just lay on my back with my legs in the air allowing my gov't to have it's way with me. I've given them several black eyes over the years... and will continue to do so until the day I die.

It's a double-edged blade, Jenna... and so feel free to color me samurai when it comes to my privacy being violated.

[edit on 25/8/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
now that you woke up what are you going to do about it?

Really shouldn't assume things. Who says I've just woken up? Who says I was ever really asleep to begin with? And what am I going to do? The same things I've been doing. Drawing people's attention to problems when I see them, whether I'm bringing it to the attention of people here, my friends, or my congressman. Don't assume I don't do anything about rulings and laws I don't like. I do what I can.

again i did not give them permission to take my photo at every street corner, or because i go into a store, etc.....but it happens dont it?

There is a difference between public and private property. We have a right to privacy on private property. In public, not so much.

i mean come on no we didnt give them this right or we didnt think we did...but they took it anyways

Thus the problem. Yet most of what I'm hearing in this thread amounts to "So what, they can do it anyway." Yeah, well that's kinda the problem here. They shouldn't be doing it at all without a warrant. Shrugging our shoulders and ignoring it just opens the door for them to do more without a warrant. Slippery-slope and all that.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If the government wants to follow you they would primary use the cellphone network since most people have a mobile phone.

I thought I was paranoid but there are higher levels of paranoia present on this site.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here is the full text of the court's order:

WELL WORTH READING
www.ca9.uscourts.gov...

Judge Kozinski:

The needs of law enforcement, to which my colleagues seem inclined to refuse nothing, are quickly making personal privacy a distant memory. 1984 may have come a bit later than predicted, but it’s here at last.

The 13-page dissent is a real zinger -- the Judge makes quite a case. Here's some of his sources:

www.newsweek.com...
paranoia.dubfire.net...
www.onstar.com...
www.csmonitor.com...
www.spyville.com...

Plus tons of case citations.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by justinsweatt
There's that whole thing of getting a warrant and establishing probable cause. Seriously? You don't see a problem with this? And what's going to happen when they start writing laws that you don't know about? The whole "I abide by the law, I have nothing to worry about" is a VERY slippery slope.

No, I have no problem with it. They can come over and put a GPS tracker on my vehicle right now. I have nothing to hide. I obey the law. When society demands that the laws be change, I adapt. it's not that difficult.

I believe that if someone is a person of interest in an ongoing investigation, then it is OK to track them to see what they are up to. If they are innocent, then the law enforcement will just move along; no harm no foul.

Personally, I believe that it's criminals that are worried, as this gives the law enforcement agencies the ability to bust them easier. It's not like they are going to say "oh, look...Joe Citizen just made a trip to Walmart".

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

It really is just as simple as that.

They're not interested in a joe schmoe...they're interested in the evil bastard PRETENDING to be Joe Schmoe.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If they are tracking you, they probably have good cause, you know....like you are a suspect in an investigation

Anyone who trusts the govt is a fan of insanity. When the man says he's taking an inch focused on "scary bad guys", he takes a wide mile that includes us all.. every single time.

Einstein said it: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This technology is nothing new and it doesn't bother me, as I am a law abiding citizen.

This line tells me about your mindset.

Right wing gun toting Christian.

What are you going to do when what YOU do is made illegal. Like being a tea bagger. Or owning a gun. It does not matter if you are not doing anything wrong (it used to be legal to own a slave, mans laws are meant to be broken if they are wrong) this is the USA and we are not built like that.

WE ARE FREE MEN AND WOMEN!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

They can use it to harass... for a multitude of reasons. And law abiding citizens are not exempt. That includes you.

Like I previously stated... it's a double-edged blade.

[edit on 25/8/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Good catch. S&F.

Well, these dickwads called it like it is:

Only the rich have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Good for Kozinski for dissenting.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Jenna

Good catch. S&F.

Well, these dickwads called it like it is:

Only the rich have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Good for Kozinski for dissenting.

Ever hear of the papparazzi? If anybody has a right to complain... it would be the rich and famous. How many of those people end up living a life of seclusion because of being stalked and harassed???

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Anyone who violates people's property rights by trespassing and stalking like that should get at least 6 months in prison, if not more.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

The article states, and I agree, that this will likely end up before the Supreme Court eventually. I just hope they have the brains required to overturn this ruling.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is The Most Overturned Court in the United States:

Of the 80 cases the Supreme Court decided this past term through opinions, 56 cases arose from the federal appellate courts, three from the federal district courts, and 21 from the state courts. The court reversed or vacated the judgment of the lower court in 59 of these cases. Specifically, the justices overturned 40 of the 56 judgments arising from the federal appellate courts (or 71%), two of the three judgments coming from the federal district courts (or 67%), and 17 of the 21 judgments issued by state courts (or 81%).

Notably, the 9th Circuit accounted for both 30 percent of the cases (24 of 80) and 30 percent of the reversals (18 of 59) the Supreme Court decided by full written opinions this term. In addition, the 9th Circuit was responsible for more than a third (35%, or 8 of 23) of the High Court’s unanimous reversals that were issued by published opinions. Thus, on the whole, the 9th Circuit’s rulings accounted for more reversals this past term than all the state courts across the country combined and represented nearly half of the overturned judgments (45%) of the federal appellate courts.

An article, written on July 5th of 2009, in Pittsburgh Post Gazette points out that the Supreme Court historically reverses the majority of the cases it reviews, which actually makes sense considering the very nature of why the cases are before the Supreme Court, and that is because they are under review. In the term of 2009, The Post Gazette reports that 76% of all cases under review were overturned, and 15 of the 16 cases ruled by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals were reversed.

But the 9th Circuit's record this term, with 94 percent of its cases reversed at least in part, extends a long-running trend of being disproportionately overturned. The appeals court -- the only one where a majority of judges were appointed by Democratic presidents -- has had a larger-than-average share of its cases overturned in eight of the past 10 years. Read more: www.post-gazette.com...

The Supreme Court will, more than likely take this case under review, and will, more than likely, even with Kagan sitting on the bench, reverse the ruling. This ruling shows a profound disregard for the 4th Amendment, and by claiming that people with open drive ways accessible to anyone are not protected by privacy, but gated driveways are, equal protection of the law is also disregarded in order to reach the bizarre ruling, (just one of the many bizarre rulings rendered by the 9th Circuit), rendered by the 9th Circuit.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
We lost our privacy a long time ago.

Look at google maps. When your own home is on the internet for MILLIONS to see...you're already in trouble.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well, to be honest, I see this as nothing new. We all know this has been done before, and it will continue to be done. However, I've noticed that many of the same people who get angry about this sort of monitoring are usually sometimes the same people who are happy that a major "enemy of the state" is caught via these tactics. I don't agree with it, but, then again, I don't agree with reality either.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I have heard that the EZ Pass is actually a way to track a motorists miles and movements too. I guess if you have nothing to worry about you won't care too much. Police State. Ready or not, here it comes.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Not quite sure what this thread is about. Even I could put a tracking device on your car, what does it matter? The government can track me if they like, there's really no reason to track anyone unless they are murderer, kidnapper, drug dealer etc. There is nothing to fear in that respect, just because they can does not mean they will. Like imagine them tracking me, "he goes to subway a few times a week then heads home".

As if anything in your lifetime matters to anyone when we're all stuck on this prison planet.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
i think this is what they did 20 years ago, nowadays they don't have to sneak anywhere. if you use a cellular phone, they can track you just by your number. calling 911 alone using your cell phone will pinpoint your location, just imagine what the agencies can do.

so yeah, tracking devices are antiques and is available for civilian use.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This "crap" that if youre not breaking the law you've got nothing to fear is kool-aid fun.
NEW LAW;
if you speak against or write against your government you are a potential threat.
(works well for the party members but not so well for someone of a differing opinion now doesnt it)
dont say it cant happen or isnt inching closer to happening I'll show you some pictures and let you read text that showed it absorbed an entire nation not long ago zeig heil.
NEW LAW;
introduction of new digital currency requirements and shared nation currency for NAU
(works well for those wanting it but not so well if you like your individuality)
dont say it hasnt happened or isnt in the work, take alook across the pond at the EU and the coupled increase of 98% transactions done digital.

This is just softener for the chips to come,
I'm old and I may see it, my kids will probably see it, my grandkids will without a doubt.

Why?

Because we paved the way and allowed it to happen,
because............
we dont have anything to worry about if we're not doing anything wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join