It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Wow Jenna. I half suspected that the thread title was exagerrated.

I thought the article title was exaggerated too. I actually clicked on the article while shaking my head at the title and saying "Yeah, sure. Whatever." Then I read it and realized it was just about the most accurate title I've seen in awhile.

What an idiotic standard...Are these folks actually Judges? did they get thier law degrees online?

Sadly they are. How exactly they made it through law school though is beyond my comprehension. I haven't looked the judges themselves up, but my guess is they're going senile. Surely no law professor would give them passing grades for misinterpreting laws and previous case decisions. At least I hope not.

I'd imagine the guy the article is written about will be appealing this very soon, if he hasn't already. Given what another poster said about this district being the most overturned I'd be surprised if this doesn't get overturned as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Reply to post by OuttaTime

Very good point. As far as I am aware though, they can't legally track any of that without a warrant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. Regardless, these invasions of privacy should not be going on. We have the right to privacy, and that should extend to every detail of our lives so long as we aren't infringing on the rights of anyone else. Just because they have the ability to do something doesn't mean they should.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That is indeed a compelling question. For most of us, there is no need, but the fact that they can monitor our phone conversations under the premise of 'national security'. They knowingly invade our privacy directly and indirectly. Home security systems are a good example. Consumers get them to protect themselves, their property and family. On the business end, it's a huge financial engine. On the 'Homeland security' end, they more than likely already have digital traffic mirrored to their servers. In today's home security systems, a stranger at a remote location can eavesdrop on your conversations, watch activity through surveillance cameras, and know exactly when you (and anyone else) are in or out of your home.
On the down side, everything electronic/digital broadcasts its presence (WiFi/mobile/cordless) and has a potential to be monitored. On the up side, the less gadgetry you have, the smaller digital footprint you'll leave.
The Feds have massively overstepped their boundaries, and will continue to do so. It's a game to them with real human beings. Worst part is the taxpayer ends up eating the costs from their 'defense development' and 'war on terror'.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Let's be serious shall we? If you own a cell phone they can track you. They can monitor your emails, all phone calls and your internet traffic. They can turn the microphone in your cellphone on and listen in,even if the phone is off.(Did so in a Mafia RICO case, you can thwart this by removing the battery) During the Mumbai terrorist attacks the Indian equivelent of the CIA were monitoring cell calls between the terrorists and their controller as the attacks were happening. So if they are monitoring calls they also must have a library of voice print Identification for each one of us. So in closing, I'd just like to say Hi to all the fine men and women of the NSA. Bottom line, if they want you bad enough they can get you. Constitution? WAKE UP! The Courts are as corrupt as the rest of the system if not more so. Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Since they can already track us all with our cellphones and monitor us in A/V, in realtime, in our homes and everywhere else, this isn't a shocker.

However, this is still an important story... S&F!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

Congratulations. You missed the point of the article, the OP, the thread, and half the posts in the thread. Care to try again?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The shock isn't that it's possible, it's that this court has declared it legal without a warrant because poor people don't have a right to privacy in their driveway.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They don´t need GPS for that.
They can track you in urban area in 3 meters with help of cell phone.
Outside the towns little less accuracy but they know where you are.

If you are interesting for the authorities.

Best of all is that you allow them to do this. You cannot live without cell phone anymore.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Very good point. As far as I am aware though, they can't legally track any of that without a warrant.

Since when have pesky little things like "warrants" and "rights" gotten in the way? Not to mention that bothersome "Constitution" thingy.

/Q

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

With all do respect, apparently YOU don't get it.. The whole agument is moot. You have NO privacy due to technology in the 21st century. You have the illusion of privacy just like you have the illusion of freedom.
AND don't bother sniping back because I'm not getting into an argument. What would be the point? "Can lead a horse to water, can't make em drink." PEACE

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In all states it's unlawful to conduct surveillance without just cause. If just cause can't be established then all evidence gathered by it will be disallowed at trial. Anyone trespassing to install such a device is subject to getting caught. If they're caught the victim can and should have them arrested for felony trespass and if they're killed that just might be to bad depending on state law. My best,

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by airforce47
In all states it's unlawful to conduct surveillance without just cause. If just cause can't be established then all evidence gathered by it will be disallowed at trial. Anyone trespassing to install such a device is subject to getting caught. If they're caught the victim can and should have them arrested for felony trespass and if they're killed that just might be to bad depending on state law. My best,

Yeah....that´s official story and teory.
In reality it is enough that some authorities employee call from public phone, and say one sentence.
"I´ve heard person xxxx xxxx talk about putting a bomb in front of the school"

And they go with that sentence (transcript) to a judge, and judge sign complete surveilance of you.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
they already do that with our phones... not only track us but listen in and watch through the camera and mic. just ask the hells angels

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

It really is just as simple as that.

They're not interested in a joe schmoe...they're interested in the evil bastard PRETENDING to be Joe Schmoe.

YOU ARE FULLY INDOCTRINATED. RESISTANCE IS USELESS. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

So you have nothing to hide? Tell me, are you SURE you are not breaking one of the OVER 600,000 statutes on the books? Really? Because that is pretty much impossible. You don't even KNOW what all the laws are, so you MUST be breaking some of them.

What are you gonna do when they pass some new laws, making it illegal to do something you like to do? Just stop doing it?

What about when it becomes illegal to, say, have a dog, because the "terrorists" use dogs to carry out their nefarious plans? Or to, say, have sex with your wife except on a Thursday? You still gonna obey then? If so, you are a good little sheep. Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by av8r007
reply to post by GhostLancer

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Then, I suppose, the following quote is quite appropriate:

"DEATH IS THE ULTIMATE FREEDOM."

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

ZODEAUX: "Your histrionic claims of the government being here to keep us safe from TERRORISTS, clearly ignores the fact that government failed miserably on 9/11.

-----Actually, the "official" US government failed on 9/11. But, that is because the SHADOW GOV, truly in power, pulled puppet strings. Military exercises were ongoing that day, --exercises involving the HIJACKING OF CIVILIAN AIRLINERS. So, when the *meat* hit the turbo-fan, military and civilian leadership HAD NO IDEA if it was real or exercise message traffic. The US government failed, BECAUSE the *REAL* power initiated its opening move, like in a chess game.

"Further, your bogus claim of PUBLIC ORDER is a far cry from Domestic Tranquility. Your emphasis on safety at the expense of freedom demonstrates your disregard for the Constitutional restraints placed upon government, and the historical context in which that Constitution was written."

-----There can be no "domestic tranquility" WITHOUT *public order.* How can you "tranquilly mow your lawn" if some TERRORIST is allowed to poison your lawn? Say he/she laces your lawn with some lethal powder. You wake up, stretch, drink a Red Bull and decide to mow your lawn. When your lawnmower blade spreads that lethal toxin into your nostrils, you keel over and succumb. What kind of "domestic tranquility" is that? I guess DEATH IS THE ULTIMATE FREEDOM? I'd rather BE SAFE and let the GOVERNMENT PROTECT US FROM TERRORISTS.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

ZODEAUX: "Your histrionic claims of the government being here to keep us safe from TERRORISTS, clearly ignores the fact that government failed miserably on 9/11.

-----Actually, the "official" US government failed on 9/11. But, that is because the SHADOW GOV, truly in power, pulled puppet strings. Military exercises were ongoing that day, --exercises involving the HIJACKING OF CIVILIAN AIRLINERS. So, when the *meat* hit the turbo-fan, military and civilian leadership HAD NO IDEA if it was real or exercise message traffic. The US government failed, BECAUSE the *REAL* power initiated its opening move, like in a chess game.

"Further, your bogus claim of PUBLIC ORDER is a far cry from Domestic Tranquility. Your emphasis on safety at the expense of freedom demonstrates your disregard for the Constitutional restraints placed upon government, and the historical context in which that Constitution was written."

-----There can be no "domestic tranquility" WITHOUT *public order.* How can you "tranquilly mow your lawn" if some TERRORIST is allowed to poison your lawn? Say he/she laces your lawn with some lethal powder. You wake up, stretch, drink a Red Bull and decide to mow your lawn. When your lawnmower blade spreads that lethal toxin into your nostrils, you keel over and succumb. What kind of "domestic tranquility" is that? I guess DEATH IS THE ULTIMATE FREEDOM? I'd rather BE SAFE and let the GOVERNMENT PROTECT US FROM TERRORISTS.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I don't get what the big deal is.... Paranoid people!!!! The government is not coming to get you LOL!!! Think about the brightside of this. Easier to track down killers, rapists, child molesters etc etc etc. I love the fact that I can call (not mentioning brand names) company and they can tell me exactly where my car is. Helps if you get your car stolen and hopefully you get there in time before they chop it for parts.

Seriously get off the paranoia train and come join the real world guys.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Actually, if you really think DEEEEPLY into this situation, it makes perfect sense and is actually a rather good idea.

The government is here to keep us safe from TERRORISTS. If they need data on my innocent activities to help them catch terrorists, then so be it. They will surely only use this information to keep PUBLIC ORDER. Public order will ensure safety, as "strange" or "odd" DEVIATIONS FROM THE NORM would surely tip them off to TERRORIST ACTIVITY.

That is the most horrific and frightening thing I have heard all year long. Now, I know that others think as you do, however they tend not to be too vocal about it as that kind of thinking is the very anti-thesis of both liberty and freedom. That is about the most "unAmerican" thing I have heard in a long time and it basically desicrates the graves of all brave men who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

-----the most "horrific" and "frightening" thing you've heard all year long? Noo.... can't be. Not really.

Here's the thing: YOU ARE SAFE. I mean, you are really SAFE, RIGHT? Do you hear the gunfire of rebels outside your door? Did TERRORISTS set a building nearby ablaze? Did government troops quarantine your city block, or rural country road, or college campus? I bet the answer is a silent "No..." I bet that's right.

And, do you know why I know I'm right? 'Cause we live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It's ranks filled with true PATRIOTS who are willing to sacrifice a few personal "conveniences" to MAKE OUR COUNTRY SAFER. Who cares if every (almost) moment of our public existence has been/is/will be documented on video? Who really cares, unless you are a TERRORIST or a CRIMINAL that you are being taped? We are ALREADY SAFE because our government CARES about us... and (dare I say?) LOVES us.

"Let me ask you this, why is it that you believe government has your best interest at heart? What motive do they have to look out for you?"

-----I don't know EXACTLY, but I do feel that everything I have I was ABLE to have because the GOVERNMENT made our country SAFE. I was able to have a carefree CHILDHOOD because the US was/is/will be SAFE. YOU and I and *everyone* else is on the INTERNET because of the U.S. You and I and *everyone* else within the U.S. (save border states with MEXICO) can post our thoughts BECAUSE *THEY* KEEP US SAFE. I mean, who else do you think is keeping us SAFE?

If you are dead, you are ultimately FREE. But it's the kind of FREEDOM that doesn't allow you to continue to INTERACT with those you love and cherish, or ANYONE in this realm. So, if you are DEAD, you aren't really FREE, not in this realm. Wouldn't you rather be SAFE AND ALIVE?

If that means they can spy on me, then so be it. I know they will keep YOU and *everyone* rather SAFE. Now, 9/11.... was not solely our government, and it was not SAFE. In fact, 9/11 was rather... evil.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

-----Actually, the "official" US government failed on 9/11. But, that is because the SHADOW GOV, truly in power, pulled puppet strings.

Oh, I see, the "SHADOW GOV", as opposed to the government you advocate were guilty of this failure, but when it comes a violation of the 4th Amendment, the government you advocate will violate it in the name of "security", and "public order", and we don't have anything to fear from the "SHADOW GOV" in this regard. Is that the gist of your backpedaling?

-----There can be no "domestic tranquility" WITHOUT *public order.*

And yet, you have declared the "SHADOW GOV" as being the "REAL" power, and if that is true then this is your "public order".

How can you "tranquilly mow your lawn" if some TERRORIST is allowed to poison your lawn?

"Allowed"? Pay close attention to your words. Terrorist do not terrorize because they are "allowed" to do so. Further, if my neighbor poisons my lawn over a dispute between he and I, would you call him a terrorist? His actions are certainly harmful, but is he a terrorist? Tranquility is obtained by ending the cycle of vengeance between he and I through civil tort law. I sue my neighbor for his actions, and by gaining remedy tranquility is obtained. There is no need to violate my neighbors inalienable rights in order to ensure domestic tranquility.

Say he/she laces your lawn with some lethal powder. You wake up, stretch, drink a Red Bull and decide to mow your lawn. When your lawnmower blade spreads that lethal toxin into your nostrils, you keel over and succumb.

It is always the same with those who revile freedom, they insist on bringing up insane hypothetical scenarios in order to justify their advocacy of a nanny state.

I'd rather BE SAFE and let the GOVERNMENT PROTECT US FROM TERRORISTS.

But what happened to the "SHADOW GOV" who by your claim has the "REAL" power?

Ben Franklin, bless his heart, had no idea what TERRORISTS would be able to do two centuries from his prosaic day and age.

Ah yes, you, bless your heart, in your chuckling "SAFETY", are infinitely wiser than Ben Franklin, simply by virtue of your modern existence.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeSignal

People need to wake up and realize that when you are in public view, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. And, this is also a nice way the government makes *average* and even *below average* folks feel important...

First off, just wanted to add, they can already do this without planting gps in or on your car. Everything is already mapped out with cell phones, navigation systems etc...
I can't really tell if you are being ironic here?

-----Yes, I was really being ironic. Much, most, if not all of that was missed, and ironically, I found myself debating from several points-of-view.

I began my first response as a satirical tirade, but strangely find myself considering alternate points of view. How strange this all is. Safety. Government altruism. 9/11. Shadow government... All intertwined in the most insane, chaotic fabric ever woven.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join