It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Annual Dolphin/Whale Hunt: 15,000-20,000 to be slaughtered

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I am fighting back the sad, sick feeling I have after discovering that the small Japanese town of Taiji is about to kick off its Annual Dolphin and Whale Hunt.

Last year "The Cove" won an Academy Award for showing the world this cruel slaughter that takes place every year.

I figured that since the world was now focused on Taiji, and their shameful activities, they would discontinue this killing event, or at the very least tone it down. Nope.

Let me make something clear, I have no qualms about eating meat, I enjoy hunting and fishing. But, if I have to kill, I make it quick, and I always eat what I take. I never take more than I can eat.

I am at a loss as to why anyone would proudly kill an intelligent, peaceful, beautiful creature just for the sake of killing. And not just one.....Tens of THOUSANDS!! People need to stand up for these creatures. It makes me sick.

Japan's darkest secret, the cruel trade in dolphins, begins its annual hunt.

Japan's annual slaughter of small whales and dolphins ( see reference below ) "In the quiet harbour town of Taiji, Japan, an unpublicised annual event gets underway. Between early September and March each year, the fishermen and local community engage in a tradition that goes back centuries, the mass slaughter of up to twenty thousand small whales and dolphins. The majority of the world is unaware this is happening. The cove is blocked off from public access. Press and cameras are not allowed inside and the local media does not cover the event."

Japans Darkest Secret
AP EXCLUSIVE: Japanese Mayor Defends Dolphin Hunts

Everyone needs to know what is about to happen. These individuals who take part in this obviously know its wrong, thats why any media or press is banned.

What do you guys (or girls) think?

[edit on 24-8-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
While I have nothing against killing animals for food and certainly not against killing animals for traditional customs relating to food, I do have a place in my heart for dolphins, always have and try as I might, I can't condone killing the slimy little swimmers, even for food. I know, I know, dolphins aren't very "manly", but I like them anyway.

FWIW, I believe that I have read somewhere that dolphins will often defend humans against shark attacks.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I agree, and I have hard similar things about whales saving drowning swimmers and protecting from sharks.

In my opinion, any intelligent and peaceful creature should not have to worry about us slaughtering them and their family.

Food is one thing.

This is something else....

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
dam sea mammals. they should put all the sea mammals on a boat and sink it. see if i care

[edit on 24-8-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Why are they still doing this?

Some of the dolphins are sent around the world to places that use them for entertainment purposes, and the rest slaughtered.

A Japanese official lost his job over "The Cove," because as I recall, not only was he denying that the dolphins were even being slaughtered, but that the meat being sold had mercury levels that are way above normal to eat!

While the locals claim it is a tradition to do this culling, it is no longer needed, since the meat is not consumable by humans!

This is indeed despicable, and I hope it gets captured on film yet again, for the world to see!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Why do people pick and choose which animals they feel empathy towards ?

People need to stop being hypocritical, and sticking up for certain animals because they're ''cute''.

To avoid being hypocritical, you must either believe that all animals should not be maltreated or killed, or that all animals are fair game to be killed.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

I think its something that most of us don't understand......the same goes to those people that eat monkey brains while the monkey is still alive.....we don't understand why they like it but they do....so....good thing that not everyone likes eating dolphins and monkey brains or else....

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well in reality Dolphins are not cute they can be pretty vicious and the young males will try to rape the females or just gang up and harrass one.

I cannot defend them however we can all agree that they are sentient and intelligent animals thus should be treated with respect. There is no need for the cull.

When they are gone we will be poorer in spirit.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
humans are being slaughtered every day and no one cares

so ... I really dont think this is important

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Dolphins and whales are our brothers and sisters, equally intelligent and in the case of whales, more so, than us. Dolphins are the only animal like humans that each have their own names.

They share this planet with us.

This is a horrendous crime/murder.

In addition, most of us have been dolphins and have close ties to dolphins and our beloved Family of Light, our close family, are incarnated often as them.

So some people are killing their own children who they loved more than anything in this current life.

When mankind was more ignorant of things, this may have been less of a matter of conscience, less of a crime. But that era of innocence vanished with understanding and science, and studies. Though a deep look at our history hints at past civilizaitons that may have also had advanced science, and perhaps more so than ours.

The deep inner knowledge however was always accessible. Metaphsyic, and the search within, has always taken place on earth in all its cycle runs.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
Well in reality Dolphins are not cute they can be pretty vicious and the young males will try to rape the females or just gang up and harrass one.

I cannot defend them however we can all agree that they are sentient and intelligent animals thus should be treated with respect. There is no need for the cull.

When they are gone we will be poorer in spirit.

Yes, dolphins can be rather unpleasant, but a lot of people don't seem to know or care about that.

It irritates me when people get all gooey over dolphins, while ignoring the plight of less ''trendy'' animals.

Pigs and cows are intelligent and sentient too, but not too many people seem to be bothered about their mistreatment.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Dolphins and whales are our brothers and sisters, equally intelligent and in the case of whales, more so, than us. Dolphins are the only animal like humans that each have their own names.

I don't think you can say any of that with any degree of certainty.

Just because we don't understand intelligence in other animals, doesn't mean that they lack it.

I certainly can't believe that dolphins are the only animals that have their own names.

Would you understand if a bat was calling another bat by a name ?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

People need to stop being hypocritical, and sticking up for certain animals because they're ''cute''.

To avoid being hypocritical, you must either believe that all animals should not be maltreated or killed, or that all animals are fair game to be killed.

Okay, so I'm against all animals being unnecessarily killed -- especially species that are more intelligent and are able to comprehend/feel the physical and emotional stresses that is placed upon them while they and their family members are being slaughtered.

So now what? ...am I now "eligible" to protest against the unnecessary mass slaughtering of whales and dolphins? Because I'm not a "hypocrite" according to your opinion, the cause has now gained some legitimacy, yeah? Sweet!

Or was that just that same pathetic argument brought up every so often so you(s) can share the weight of your guilty conscience?

Yeah, thought so.

[edit on 24/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

LOL, that was fantastic! It's like a vegetarian who claims they won't eat an animal with a face, but who wears leather shoes!

This mass culling is not needed, as the meat is unsafe to eat. Really what it boils down to now, is culture, heritage, and sport.

A sick one at that!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
Okay, so I'm against all animals being unnecessarily killed -- especially species that are more intelligent and are able to comprehend/feel the physical and emotional stresses that is placed upon them while they and their family members are being slaughtered.

I very much doubt that you are.

Have you ever heard pigs, sheep or cows when they go into an abattoir ?

I think they are very much feeling the physical and emotional stresses of knowing that they and their family members are being slaughtered.

You can't pick and choose.

Originally posted by Navieko
So now what? ...am I now "eligible" to protest against the unnecessary mass slaughtering of whales and dolphins? Because I'm not a "hypocrite" according to your opinion, the cause has now gained some legitimacy, yeah? Sweet!

You are clearly hypocritical if you care about whales and dolphins, but not about other intelligent animals.

However, I do not know your full views on that, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by NaviekoOr was that just that same pathetic argument brought up every so often often so you(s) can try and make "us" share the massive weight of your guilty conscience?

I brought it up because I'm sick and tired of people swooning over dolphins, while hypocritically ignoring the plight of other animals.

No guilty conscience here.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
It's like a vegetarian who claims they won't eat an animal with a face, but who wears leather shoes!

And that is exactly the same level of hypocrisy that people are showing in this thread.

Caring about an intelligent animal being killed, while happily ignoring other intelligent animals being killed.

There must be a huge level of cognitive dissonance involved while adopting this mindset.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

But see, you are assuming, that people are commenting on an annual event in particular, that they don't care about the plight of other animals.

See what can happen when you jump to conclusions?

Animals are miss treated every day on a grand scale, at the whims of humans for various reasons.

This happens to be a large scale annual event, so, this is the right time to bring it up! 20,000 killed over a very short period of time, needlessly, should be brought attention to.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It's all I have to say.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

You make a good point. While people are busy thinking how much they love dolphins I would like to encourage them to extend that same feeling to all creatures, be it mammal, bird or bug.
All are a part of the same beauty of creation and are interdependent. We cannot pick and choose, we must either accept nature as a whole or reject it outright.
Take time everyday to find and connect with nature if but only for a minute. I think this is one of the best ways to try to make the world a better place. If we can find beauty and empathy in nature then surely we can also extend it to our fellow human beings.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Dont worry
Admiral Watson will hunt them down in return

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join