It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i was almost arrested for.........apples.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I had to come back to this thread to post this news item from todays UK papers that I thought the Original poster would appreciate

Police helicopter used to hunt man seen gathering twigs

the article can be found here In all fairness the police were concerned about the safety of the park warden involved but still it seems like an overreaction

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

that's funny in a twisted orwelian kinda' way.

good timing bringing this back.
i went back up there again today.
the cherries are ready, along with a few different types of berries.
no tracks anywhere, humans or animals, besides squirrels and birds it seems.
it's sad actually, the apples are dropping and they are everywhere, and i mean everywhere.
most rotting already.
all i can think about is all that wasted food.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by rubbertramp]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Have you had any more encounters with the local forest rangers?

Walking through a wood with ripe cherries seems like paradise to me (coming from a big city) and I doubt I would be able to resist picking a few to take home. When I lived in Greece I often used to pick Figs Oranges and Olives straight from the trees to eat.

The only fruit I ever find in forest walks is Black Berries which I eat as I am walking along, Fruit just tastes so much better if it is picked from the wild.

PS (Yes I am aware that taking fruit from a forest is illegal in the UK)

PPS( I only take a few to eat while I am walking and doubt that I am causing damage to the forests eco system)

PPPS( Yes I am aware that if everyone in the England decided en mass to do this there would be no Black Berries left for the local wildlife but that isn;t a situation I find myself in at the moment and I will stop doing if this becomes the case)

[edit on 3-9-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

you can't pick anything in england?
excuse my ignorance, but what is the woods there?
is there much if any 'public land'?
and no, i haven't seen any more law enforcement since the first encounter.

i'm pretty sure they'll leave me alone even if we do cross paths again.
especially since i wnt into the forest service office and talked with people.
they'd be stupid to try, and i have a copy of the law in my pack now for just such an occasion.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

All the fruit does not, however, go to "waste". Deer, bear, turkey, possums, racoons, foxes - all depend on that fruit to help fatten them up for winter - even the rotten fruit will usually get eaten.

Fruit trees planted around a homestead in New Mexico are
due to the EVIL actions of humans.

So if humans eat all the fruit that is fine because it would be
cactus land otherwise.

As for the rats, insects, possums, coyotes and foxes being more
important than humans...welcome to my foes list.

It's not about one being more important than the other. It's about a little give and take. FFS. Foe-ing someone over this is entirely extreme.
What didn't you grasp from Asktheanimals post? Let the state of the world act as a macrocosmic example of the situation described by Asktheanimals; the more people that show up and begin to irresponsibly consume the natural resources surrounding them, the more dire their and the ecosystem's future circumstances are, insofar as re-growth and sustenance are concerned.
What's so abhorrent about being considerate of animals and nature?? I think it is the height of selfishness to do anything otherwise. Every single thing is equal in 'importance'. No one thing has privilege or right over another. We're all in this together.

All Asktheanimals was saying to Rubbertramp is that they needn't be frustrated over food going to waste and to consider the wildlife and ecosystem before they attempt to act irresponsibly, no matter how insignificant they may think their actions are.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

When I was growing up I was always told by my parents that this was the rule, it isn't something I have really checked into though I just always thought it to be the case (but of course I might be wrong)

The main thing you will find growing in Forests in the UK are Black Berries and Raspberries they are absolutely delicious! You might also find some gooseberry's if your really lucky!

[edit on 4-9-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

i understood what asktheanimals intended meaning was.
in ways i agree, in others i don't.
for instance, on one hand, like i posted on this page, right now there is most likely tens of thousands of apples rotting on the ground. sure, the worms will eventually consume them, but there is also humans that could like me.
if a had a choice between feeding a hungry animal or a hungry human, i'd choose the human, unquestionably.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by rubbertramp

When I was growing up I was always told by my parents that this was the rule

The main thing you will find growing in Forests in the UK are Black Berries and Raspberries

the first part sounds like many on this board who found me guilty with absolutely no concern of the law.

here in new mexico we get some berries, but what i miss about living in montana is some of the berries.
pretty much the one's you list and more.
wild strawberries and huckleberries included.
mmmmmmmmm huckleberries.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think you might also enjoy this article from the UK Independent newspaper, it's about the "look but don't touch culture" in parks etc in the UK It says in the article that there is no law against picking wild flowers but there is one about digging them up

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/getting-close-to-nature-its-time-to-grasp-the-nettle-1948703.html

I can't seem to get it to link so you will have to copy and paste it

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

i'll read it in a minute, but if you read the thread, here in the states there's a big difference between the regulations, as far as public-government lands.
i'll pick fruit and rockhound ans stuff on national forest and blm.
but i'd never do any of these things in a national park or state park or similar.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i'm gunna' drag this one back that vortex where dead thread end up.
for a reason;
i have just returned from a hike back up there, first time since last august.

THEY CUT ALL THE TREES DOWN!

i just could not believe it, walked over the last hill and my jaw dropped.
everything is up up and stacked in what looks like 'burn piles'.

this really pisses me off.
why would they do this?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Have you had any more encounters with the local forest rangers?

Walking through a wood with ripe cherries seems like paradise to me (coming from a big city) and I doubt I would be able to resist picking a few to take home. When I lived in Greece I often used to pick Figs Oranges and Olives straight from the trees to eat.

The only fruit I ever find in forest walks is Black Berries which I eat as I am walking along, Fruit just tastes so much better if it is picked from the wild.

PS (Yes I am aware that taking fruit from a forest is illegal in the UK)

PPS( I only take a few to eat while I am walking and doubt that I am causing damage to the forests eco system)

PPPS( Yes I am aware that if everyone in the England decided en mass to do this there would be no Black Berries left for the local wildlife but that isn;t a situation I find myself in at the moment and I will stop doing if this becomes the case)

[edit on 3-9-2010 by davespanners]

There really isnt enough wildlife to eat all the black berries in the wild, not even close. That is certainly a fruit put on the earth for man and beast to share and neither would die off without them.

Apple trees growing in the wild for whatever reason are an intrusion into the "system". There is no such thing as natrual apple trees. They can hardly if at all reproduce themselves. Fruit in the wild is a treat and no where near what one could call a "block" of the eco-system.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join