It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Is Palin really making a stupid comment?

I honestly believe that she is siding with Dr. Laura because it will strengthen her popularity within her target crowd. She can avoid directly approving the controversial remarks and focus on constitutional rights.

I'm not telling anybody what to make of what I just said. All we have to do is look at what is being said and who throws their support behind Palin.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Styki]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I really don't know why so many people seem so determined to keep beating up the mentally deficient. I don't think I should call out their names, but I should not have to either.

The main problem with race relations here in the U S of A is our reluctance to let go of one of the last wedges we have which can be driven between us all.

I was once told that there is the human race and . . . ahhhh. I can't remember hearing about another race, unless you can find a neaderthal. I am not real sure about that either.

My point being that I firmly believe we as a people could get along a lot better if we would learn to not only laugh at each other but also ourselves.

We were all born, or made, a little short of perfect, so why don't we just drop all the nonsense facades and recongnize that life is easy if you let it be.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's about time that Schlessinger trips over her own stupidity and ends here on air bigotry and religious ingnorance.

Palin had no business making any comments about this issue. All I does is keep her in the same league as Schlessinger.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I don't like dr. laura but she has some good points. Racism has increased since Obama has been in office. I am not sure if it is some superiority complex problem or what. Even in rap songs you hear black men calling the N-word a lot.

Palin needs to STFU thoujh.

I'd still do her though.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
she is only trying to only increase her popularity with southern white rednecks.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

I'm Hungarian. Why should I pay for the mistakes of people I have absolutely no ties to? Because of my skin color?

If that's not racism, what is?

While idiots over here were practicing slavery, my family was living in Hungary and as far as I'm aware, Hungary never had slavery.

It's entirely ignorant to me that I must fear the "racist backlash" because of my skin tone, despite the fact neither myself or my family has ever had any affiliation with that pitiful time.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

true BIA (bro in arms0

it is if some people (not whites) have tried to declare that whites aren't allowed to say a word.....THAT (not whites) THEY CALL EACH OTHER EVERYDAY!!.. totally sickening..

btw.. im trying to star a group of organizations: any to add?
1. W.E.T. white entertainment tv
2. Ivory magazine
3. NAAAP nat. assoc. advan anglo people
4. United Anglo college fund
5. more officer programs for white enlisted members... like that one?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
I find this an incredibly sad post. Racism died (or should have died) in the 80s. What is all the fuss about?

I can see that you being British aren't very familiar with the history of Black people in America and why they might be offended by a derogatory word.

At one time in America and not really that long ago, Black men were hung, tortured, beaten to death and shot for simply looking at a white woman.

How long does it take for those memories to fade? I'm guessing they never will. It's one of the terrible burdens that Americans as a culture will have to live with; it's part of the history of America. Should we rewrite history and pretend that it never happened?

I could post some very disturbing photos but I'll just leave it to your imagination and excuse your ignorance.

That is what all the fuss is about!

Black people will remember those days in America as long as Jews remember the holocaust. Forever!

It's about a group of people denying another group of people their humanity. How can that ever be forgotten or forgiven?

And Dr. Laura with a name like Schlessinger should have known that.
And so should ex Gov. Palin.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

I am a caucasian who has worked in a 99.9% black school (there were a few other white faculty members) and have indeed also been on the receiving end of racism. It is never comfortable when it happens to you.

Despite this, I think it's important to understand the historical context of Dr. Laura's remarks.

We white people have always been the dominant race in this country. We do have a long history of racial hatred and discrimination toward minorities, that's a fact.

While I don't dispute that there are black people who dislike and even hate us because we are white, they have never passed laws preventing us from, say, eating at restaurants where they eat or shopping where they shop or riding on public transportation with them. They just have never had the power to do that, and most would probably never do it if they could.

Among other things, Dr. Laura seemed incensed that racial tensions have not magically disappeared just because we have a black (or if you want to nitpick, half black) president. That's like people in my parents' generation claiming that since Sammy Davis Jr. was a star there was no longer any racial prejudice in this country and African Americans should stop pressing for integration.

There are a few hundred years of bad history that must be overcome if blacks and whites are to live peaceably with each other, and that is happening in increments, but it IS happening.

While I take Schlesinger's point about the double standard around the "n" word I do believe her diatribe was out of proportion to what the caller was saying. What I heard Jade saying was that basically her husband was insensitive to, or at least blissfully unaware of, the racially biased (or at least tone deaf) comments of some of his friends. That seems to be a real problem that could affect their marriage, and telling her to "get over it" (which is basically what Laura said) and thus denying the seriousness of the hurt was less than no help at all to the caller or her audience.

It's going to take years of concerted effort on the part of all races to bridge the gaps between us, and Dr. Laura's advice to someone who was asking her question in all sincerity was about as helpful as telling a rape victim to excuse her rapist because there are also women who abuse men.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
When Palin is defending you,

you might as well put a fork in it,

cause you are already toast.

Palinism - synonymous with the indefensible.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by slank]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Palin is a true Republican =D.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

That's a very well thought out and good post.

I understand all of those things and respect where you're coming from. But for me;

1.) My family came over here from Hungary in the middle of the 1900's. They took no part in any of the racial shenanigans of America. Why now must I be treated as if I was a "whip cracker?" That, to me, is both racist and offensive.

I already mentioned I don't condone discrimination. I judge on the basis of character. But for certain individuals that seems not to matter?

2.) I understand the racial history of America just fine. It's a terrible thing what happened years ago, but if everyone can't move on, racism will never die. I know several white people I've worked with who've become angry racist minded individuals because of the treatment they received while working here. It's going to be an endless cycle until minorities and Caucasians can come together and truly move on. I just don't see it happening. There's too much hate on BOTH sides of the equation.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by SaosinEngaged]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wait,

Palin is still getting attention? Why are we giving an attention seeking moron what she wants?

Ignore her and hopefully she'll go away.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

She'll defend someone saying the N word over and over on the radio to attract her target audience.

Doesn't that mean her fans are....bigots?

They certainly are and make NO secret about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I will reiterate because it seems many of you ignored or did not read my previous posts: if you don't think "white" people can be on the receiving end of racism, you're in fantasy land. And worse, if you think that's somehow justified than you truly don't understand what a perpetually evil entity racism is, and how you're essentially ensuring it never dies.

It's easy to only see one side of this if you're naive to the kind of environment I work in.

Oh and, the company I work for (white owned) almost bankrupted themselves because of the amount of food they donate every week to people who really can't take care of their families or themselves. It's such a shame.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

I will reiterate because it seems many of you ignored or did not read my previous posts: if you don't think "white" people can be on the receiving end of racism,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well boo hoo hoo for you.
So, what does this have to with Dr. Laura
and Sarah Palin.
I mean really, what are you trying to prove?
Should we feel sorry for you?

Yeah, blacks have all the breaks all right!
Black people have it made!
Good Lord, what does your whining have to with Palin or Dr. L???

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
way to go dr.laura can you say free speach anyone i dont think she did anything wrong at all
If blacks can go around and say whats up my 'n-word' then why cant we whites say the same thing...ohh we'd be racist if we did

its also ok for blacks to call me honky cracker and other remarks i could care less im not that sensitive

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by StumpDrummer

my god at the sensorship on ats it blows my mind literally

so much for free speach ....I also wonder what they will come up with for the "racist word" cracker or whitey i bet they arnt sensored

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by StumpDrummer
way to go dr.laura can you say free speach anyone i dont think she did anything wrong at all
If blacks can go around and say whats up my 'n-word' then why cant we whites say the same thing...ohh we'd be racist if we did

its also ok for blacks to call me honky cracker and other remarks i could care less im not that sensitive

First off,

it's Speech* Not Speach.

Second, I'm assuming you are white, so please, refrain yourself from using the N word...oh and it's a bit different than "honky cracker."

Some folks will never get it.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Read "Time on the Cross." Africans brought over from Africa were already slaves or prisoners there, and their descendents here have achieved a higher standard of living than their captors' descendants now have in Africa.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by oniongrass]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join