It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Her choice of words was in poor taste.

That's not even counting the fact that they were in response to a caller asking for help. She completely insulted the caller by implying that she was overly sensitive and proceeded to go no a tangent about blacks using the N-word.

When making an argument, it would be wise to consider stating the argument in an acceptable manner. Had it been necessary to make the points she did, there are several ways she could have gone about doing that which would have been acceptable.

Here in this thread people have discussed black people using the N-word without being offensive about it. Point of the matter, she went on a rant, on air and it got out of control.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Styki]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
two posts, opps

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Styki]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

That is not abusing your first amendment right, imo. It is using your first amendment right to abuse others. I personally think there is a difference and that is when care should be taken.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Unless you are Rev Al or Jesse then you can go anywhere with a bullhorn. Honk honk....give me give me give me the honky tonk blues.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
well can someone point out what she did or say that was wrong she had very good points, the way she was saying it the context wasnt racist it was well she was trying to be constructive the women there was looking for her to be it ok dont worry people are bad but the fact of the matter is she said nothing, nothing that was racist can someone point it out, the palin thing all she wants is publicity she is very good at it the problem is she always makes her self look like a idoit

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I think the main problem most people have is not that it should be allowed to be used by anyone and everyone. It is the double standard people have a problem with. Do I think that word is terrible. Of course. But me thinking that people should be able to use it only relies on the fact that the people that are offended by it use it as an term of endearment. Double standard.

If we are going to rally against people to not use it at all because of its offensive nature, then why aren't we demanding black people stop using it too? Double standard.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wow. I quit listening to it the second time she said, "Nigger, Nigger, Nigger ..."

I do think some people can be overly sensitive about racism, but the way Dr. Laura deals with this caller is appalling. Especially her use of the n-word.

I don't think certain usage of the n-word is wrong. I only consider it a racist remark when used in a derogatory way and accentuated properly.

But, certainly her using this word in it's properly pronounced verbiage on national radio is EXCEPTIONALLY WRONG.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Unless you are Rev Al or Jesse then you can go anywhere with a bullhorn. Honk honk....give me give me give me the honky tonk blues.

lol, what're you talking about?

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

I agree with the fact that people can be too sensitive; if we always censor the things we say no one will be saying much anything at all.

I don't think the "n" word, however, is ever appropriate. The way it was used by Dr. Laura is provoking anger, and there's really no two ways about it.

But, until certain African Americans delete the word from their vocabulary, it's use and misuse by Caucasians will likely never die.

Caucasian kids growing up listening to 40 "n bombs" per rap song doesn't help, either.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by SaosinEngaged]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass

Indeed. White people don't call each other "honky cracker."

(Credit to the racial slur database for this)

No, we call each other 51st staters, adolfs, ami's, angies, , Armo's, Babuska's, bagel dogs, beach 'n-word's, beanie's, beaver beaters, beef curtains, big nose, bjork, black dagos, blockheads, bog-trotter, bogans, bohunks, boogalee's....

I could continue but honest, it's a pain in the ass. If you haven't realized it yet though this was alphabetical order so you can imagine how many more there are.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Wasn't it Bill Cosby, a couple of years ago, who wrote a book and then appeared on Larry King Live, appealing to black guys to stop using the word?

I wish they would stop using it too. Obviously they feel they still have a point to prove, and if they believe they do, then they do.

I don't think rappers care much about a "double standard". lol.

It's kind of like "committing suicide in self-defense", if that makes sense.
But I honestly don't think "it's ours", to pass judgment on. They have taken it, and it's theirs now. I think it's taboo to white people, and I agree that it should be.

Just my two.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
To be honest, most of her arguments are not properly constructed, and she seems to repeat herself a lot. But I do sort of agree with the point she tries to get across.. It's kind of hypocritical, when black people complain about us using the "n" word, but then use it themselves freely.

I'm sick and tired of the whole political correctness thing, I use whatever word I feel that's in context, and I couldn't care less what people think

Ex

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
i read the transcript and have been a fan of dr. laura.

so i didn't have to hear her.

the caller had it coming.

if she was looking for sympathy, she came to the wrong place!

laura is right, why can't whites say that when it is tossed casually around

all the time by blacks?

the caller never said anything about talking to her husband about her problem and she was the one that brought up the N word!

all of a sudden, she's accusing laura of racial comments!

let alone what the caller whines about.

that was from media matters, lol, what ya expect?

read some of the comments there, geeze, like they never heard the conversation!

palin is right!

Dr Laura lecturing a black woman on black culture
is like a black woman
lecturing a white woman on being white!

I used to listen to the high and mighty white Dr Laura,
until I found out that she had had a NINE year affair
while she was married to her husband!

Great woman to take moral advice from, grow up America!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Hm, you're right. It's a bit too much about what's on her mind at the moment rather than the caller's problem, sometimes.

I usually agree with what's on her mind, but that is a flaw.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
It's kind of hypocritical, when black people complain about us using the "n" word, but then use it themselves freely.

Most black people complaining about the n-word being used are not the one's using it as slang to refer to a friend.

Most people using it as slang wouldn't complain about it's usage, even if one of their white friends used it. Some might ... but that's just hypocritical.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The real tragedy is that some one actually called Dr. Laura for some serious advice and ended up getting...whatever the hell that was.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63db2377d83d.gif[/atsimg]

She could have simply picked up the phone and randomly dialed a number.
Chances are better that she would have gotten a better coherent and constructive response.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by nunya13

They have taken it, and it's theirs now. I think it's taboo to white people, and I agree that it should be.

They reason "they" took it was to take the power away from it. Which they succeeded at ... in their own circles.

But, when used in a derrogatory manner, it still holds the power that it always has.

The fact that we're even having the conversation is testament to that.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Personally I don't care if Blacks use "'n-word'". That is one of the 2 forbidden words in my house. Let them debase themselves. I won't have any of my kids use that term. In case you want to know the other, it's the C-word.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join