It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

www.youtube.com...

Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on Wednesday defended Laura Schlessinger, the radio host whose recent racially-charged remarks to a black caller led her to announce the end of her program.

"Dr. Laura," as she is best-known, created an uproar after using the N-word eleven times during a conversation with a caller. She announced Tuesday that she will end the show this year, lamenting her inability to speak freely without being attacked.

In two separate Twitter postings Wednesday night, a bullish Palin implored Americans to be "thankful" for Dr. Laura's voice and blamed her departure on "Constitutional obstructionists" who trampled her First Amendment rights.

I think I'll exercise my first amendment rights and call ex gov. Palin an insensitive fool.
She more than anyone is turning the GOP into a minority party of old white men with the exclusion of minorities, gays and moderates.

Sarah Palin for entertainment value in the political spectrum is unequaled however.

And I actually agree with Dr. Laura that Americans have become to sensitive, but she knew the difference between being insulting and syntax.
She blew it imo.

It's almost sad that Dr. Laura did give some sound advise but this is what she will be remembered by.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Oh. Wow. Hmm. Okay.

"Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the 'N-word' or other such inappropriate language, Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities – and the people who love them – is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking," Palin wrote.

rawstory.com...

+29 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Just to be clear, I do NOT agree with Dr. Laura, but listen to the audio. Get the context. It's not like she was calling this girl a 'n-word'. Dr. Laura was TOO rude and didn't let Jade finish a sentence.

As far as Palin. What do we expect? She's a partisan hack. If it's her guy, it's OK, if it's your guy, they need to be fired. No surprise from Sarah here. Her hypocrisy and attempted manipulations know no bounds.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Lol. Why is there always blame shifting?

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It is her First Admendment right to drop the N Bomb. Americans have become to big babies, all he called me a name, I think Ill run to Jesse Jackson and try to get a paycheck. Stop Crying whatever happen to Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me?

If someone wants to be an Idiot and Use Racial Slurs, gay slurs, or any other Slur they can think of... Its there RIGHT to use said words. Cry all you want it was Dr Lauras Right to use it. It is after all just a word...

Now if she said to go kill All Blacks or N-word then that where it gets to be a problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think the Sarah Palin should have kept out of this issue. It serves no purpose for her to get involved.

Just as Benevolent Heretic stated, I believe that you have to listen to the context of the entire conversation. If you forget the fact that she threw the "N" bomb around, she actually makes some very good points.

I wish more people were willing to be open to controversial dialogue. The racial stigma is a huge hurdle to cross. But one we must cross to conversate openly and honstly. Sometimes bad things must be said to convey a point. Maybe Dr. Laura just didn't do it at the right time, in the right way.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I do not understand why Palin would even get involved by saying anything in the first place. Palin is a detriment and a liability to the tea party movement, if anything this will only help fan the flames of those trying to equate the tea party with white trash racists.

If I wanted to make a point about the first ammendment than I would Have chosen a differant case to highlight it then this instance.

It was a blunder in my opinion, but one which Palin's handlers should have avoided.

I am puzzled as to the true motivation of the comments made by palin, I suppose we will have to see how it plays out.

~meathead

Edited for clarity :changed all the "she"s to "Palin"

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i read the transcript and have been a fan of dr. laura.

so i didn't have to hear her.

the caller had it coming.

if she was looking for sympathy, she came to the wrong place!

laura is right, why can't whites say that when it is tossed casually around

all the time by blacks?

the caller never said anything about talking to her husband about her problem and she was the one that brought up the N word!

all of a sudden, she's accusing laura of racial comments!

let alone what the caller whines about.

that was from media matters, lol, what ya expect?

read some of the comments there, geeze, like they never heard the conversation!

palin is right!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This lady certainly shouldn't lose her job over saying some word that, as she said, black people say all the time. How ridiculous. You know what? I'm white as can be, and black people and Mexicans call me the "n" word all the time. I couldn't care less. I finally have something to agree with Palin on.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Incubus2]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I have to say yeah she has full right to say what ever she wants that's your freedom and right. You just need to deal with the consequences. So yeah she can say what ever she wants... BUT you get what you deserve in the end.

As for Palin.. I don't take her seriously. Entertainment wise ooooh shes a hoot. Where do you American's find your leaders seriously... Send some on over to canada ours haven't been funny since Jean Chretien... Though Harper has his moments...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

The only person attacking the first amendment here is Dr. Laura.

She failed to seal the deal on her TV show because CBS would not honor her wishes to censor Howard Stern.
She put an end to her own show.

The fact that Palin thinks we need to be thankful for her voice is insanity to the extreme even without this latest incident. What is next, promoting Weiner Savage as a voice of reason and tolerance? Perhaps Alex Jones will get an endorsement for spreading rational thought and calm among the people.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

It is her First Admendment right to drop the N Bomb.

Indeed, and her 1st amendment right hasn't been restricted as so far as I know she hasn't been arrested for what she said nor is there any law prohibiting her.

The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. en.wikipedia.org...
(em)

Thus, it is her right to be either a bigot and/or and idiot as it is ours to note it.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yet another example of how little Palin understands The Constitution and American government.
Nobody's First Amendment rights are violated. The Government has nothing at all to do with this. Her employers have every right to fire "Dr. Laura" just as she has every right to quit. It has NOTHING to do with the First Amendment.
By the way, "Dr." Laura is not a doctor, has no therapist training and, in my opinion, has caused much harm over the years with her amateur therapy.
As for Palin, once again she demonstrates how dangerously ignorant she is on just about every level.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Being that this is not actually a first amendment issue at all, aside am I understanding Palin correctly here? The "N" word is a first amendment issue worth defending but the mosque is not? Regardless of what anyone really thinks about either issue, how do you suppose that will play in the media?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Lol. Why is there always blame shifting?

Lucidity makes a good point here. Palins point is good but in context doesnt carry over well at all.

The thing I see with the Dr is that she ran all over Jade before hearing her out. It is very uncomfortable for Jade if she has to be around a bunch of stupid white folks and her husband should be taken to task if it has indeed gotten out of hand. But Jade never had the chance to get the full story off the ground. We were never able to hear her out so we couldnt make up our minds if she was being sensitive or not. The Dr just sort of exsploded all over her. But the Dr did make good points but not sure if this call warrented the speech.

So the Dr has a black SG. Does she use a black man for effect? That would be hard to say but if she does she would be playing into race types ....the big mean black man.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Why do whites put up with this nonsense about race? We're the ones being discriminated against. BET, the NAACP, and black scholarships say it all really. You will not find any white versions of these.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

To be clear: my point was that in defense of Dr. Laura, Palin found it necessary to make relevant a comment made by Emanuel as a comparison and yet, mostly it was to divert attention. Blame shifting. Basically, Dr. Laura (in Palin's view) apparently cannot be defended without diverting to a new topic. Typical of Palin (and politicians in general) so why are we giving her comments any weight at all, when there isn't any? Typical again.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incubus2
This lady certainly shouldn't lose her job over saying some word that, as she said, black people say all the time. How ridiculous. You know what? I'm white as can be, and black people and Mexicans call me the "n" word all the time. I couldn't care less. I finally have something to agree with Palin on.

She didn't "lose her job." The bigot loser quit! Big difference. And Palin jumping in is just one quitter coming to the defense of another. It's crybaby Laura saying, "Oh look, these meanies made me so upset I had to quit."
And the First Amendment isn't involved. The government didn't do anything. The First Amendment has nothing to do with private citizens boycotting advertisers or expressing outrage at the behavior of a talk show host.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

laura will run over you, like i said, if jade was looking for comfort call the view gals.

i was given cutlery when i moved to china, lol, was i insulted?

i laughed! what did i expect! geeze!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
First of all...her first amendment right was NOT violated. She choose to say it, and people are choosing to not listent to her, or companies are choosing to not advertise with her...but nothing is violated. First amendment doesn't say that you have the right to say anything without consequence or that anyone has to like what you said.

Second of all...I listened to the context...and what I hear is that Dr. Laura felt like she had an opportunity to say the N-word over and over and say "Hey...I'm just repeating it". Still doesn't make it right. Plus...her whole argument is that blacks shouldn't be offended by the N-word because black comedians use it. She told her to get a sense of humor...yeah...get a sense of humor about people calling you the N-Word...that's nice Dr. Laura.

I don't even have a comment for Palin besides she is just as clueless as ever...and her clueless fan base will support anything she says. And sorry to say Palin lovers...that fan base isn't as big as you think it is.

Overall...I think Dr. Laura is getting what she deserves and Palin continues to stick her nose where it doesn't belong...and speak about things that she doesn't understand (which is just about everything).

ETA: Missed a very important "NOT" in my first sentence.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

[edit on 19-8-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join