It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 5741: Mandatory 2 year Service to Federal Government

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Do I really even need to say anything about this?

Bunch of morons running this country right now.

I think I am going to elect my 5 year old nephew for office in November.

I am more than sure he will do a better job than this admin can ever possibly dream of.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by ohioriver

That pertains to punishment for crimes,
Not a bad luck lottery.
Good point however, if they cannot do this to a criminal then why can they do it to a free man or woman?

It does not mean that. It means no one can force you to do anything that you don't want to do, except if you are convicted of a crime.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

No and you make a very important point. I just had a friend in Iraq make a bad decision, that seemed good at the time, have to worry about the consequences of his decision. He was cleared, however in his mind, he is always going to question that decision. All I have is his side of the story, however I have never known him to embellish or cover up anything, he was pretty shook up.

The military is not perfect in any way shape or form, however, I do believe that basic training/boot camp would do everyone some good, except maybe me at 50, it is going to mess me up bad, LOL, too many body parts that don't work so well any more.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe

Seems like when the "Bill of Rights" were written, slavery, at least of African Americans was still allowed. But then again, it has been about 30 years since I read my American History.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Nowhere in there does it mention race. Indentured servants and slaves were many different races,not just black.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
reply to post by eNumbra

It gives incentive. Yes you are right. Star.

Shouldn't need an incentive to fight for liberty. But then we don't fight for liberty much anymore do we?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
He said he was going to do it and here it is. When he said he was going to "fundamentally transform America", he wasn't #'ing. I hope all the minorities between 18 and 42 who cried like babies when he was elected, are happy now.

Now they seriously have something to cry about.

I wish I were 80 and on my last leg. I hate watching what is happening to this country, all the while there is NOBODY standing up to these strong-arm tactics.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

I do not totally disagree with you, but money and/or power has been what every war in history has been fought over. I do not buy into all of the conspiracies, however, I do believe that someone is pulling some strings. That being said, I do not see doom and gloom, or a massive gov't conspiracy in everything that happens, and not saying that you do. I sometimes just think, to quote Forrest Gump "Sh*t Happens"

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Yes I did paint with a wide brush. Wanna be a no nothing, do nothing American? Gaurantee, you give a self sacrifice of yourself you will have better opportunities in the futrure. And frankly, I fully support those that give of themselves unselfishly. How about you?

Wide brushes get messy,
Do nothing Americans can still live free on the streets, we call them bums or vagrants, but they are free.
Self sacrifice is a noble deed if the cause is just, but in the interest of someone else’s cash interest it is called foolish.
You say give unselfishly, if you are drafted this is not given freely it is taken, selfishly I might add.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is great, they are effectively instituting a draft, but a draft on steroids as all people in the age range are drafted, not just selected by lottery.

And it sounds like they will be able to use those people in foreign wars.

Why is this great?

Because, when the tyranny of government reaches the sheeple, a mass awakening will occur.

Right now, the apathetic populace has no skin in the game.

7/15/2010:
Referred to the House Committee on Armed Services.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

reply to post by eNumbra

It gives incentive. Yes you are right. Star.

Shouldn't need an incentive to fight for liberty. But then we don't fight for liberty much anymore do we?

You are right again about fighting for liberty. However, there are many folks out there doing it politically. One day we may have to do it revolution style. We as humans are being marginalized by the powers that be (the upper 1% crustaceans). How much do you think we are going take?

We have much at stake right now in the world. Time to speak up and take a position and support those that back our beliefs. Ron Paul for example.

Your questions are legitimate and worthy. But I believe you and I are from different time periods. I'm in my forties (have seen much politico) and I believe you are younger. Nothing wrong with that at all. Young people tend to be a bit sharper. But old people tend to remember the past.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

Seems like when the "Bill of Rights" were written, slavery, at least of African Americans was still allowed. But then again, it has been about 30 years since I read my American History.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Nowhere in there does it mention race. Indentured servants and slaves were many different races,not just black.

I am not sure what "Bill of Rights" you are referring to, however, the first amendment has to do with freedom of speech, press, and religion, doesn't mention slavery or servitude at all. However if you are speaking of Section 1 of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, you are quoting section 1 correctly. However this was not passed until 1865, and not considered to be part of the "Bill of Rights"

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Alot of european contries have mandatory military service.. whats the biggie? no more drinking starbucks when you want and no more TV and Video games all the time... awwwe poor us. we have to actually get up and do something..

discipline and trained civilians would do this country some good. imagine if the country had military training... all of us not some. and then the gov. tries to pull some crazy stunt and issues a police state... the civilians would be an army. think about it... what if china has troops rolling into our cities.. what would be better? fat american lazy selfish slobs..? or trained, educated, armed civilians...?

my dad was drafted.. wasnt the end of his or my world...

think outside the box.. dont just think doom all the time.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Well than surely you could see why it would be a good thing if people refused to serve in their self serving military? Again I understand the need for a defense force at home. Perhaps of reservists but folks that think that the US military is out "fighting for our liberty" are blind to the true nature of the world around them.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
America is based on freedom of choice* allowing crooked politicians and corporate america tell us what we can and cant do, is a direct violation in and of itsself*

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Yes I did paint with a wide brush. Wanna be a no nothing, do nothing American? Gaurantee, you give a self sacrifice of yourself you will have better opportunities in the futrure. And frankly, I fully support those that give of themselves unselfishly. How about you?

Wide brushes get messy,
Do nothing Americans can still live free on the streets, we call them bums or vagrants, but they are free.
Self sacrifice is a noble deed if the cause is just, but in the interest of someone else’s cash interest it is called foolish.
You say give unselfishly, if you are drafted this is not given freely it is taken, selfishly I might add.

I'm retired military. Tell me about sacrifice. I'm all ears. Not being a jerk. Just saying, what have you done to make the world a more peaceful place?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Someone needs to whip you obese mutha-truckers into shape. You all are whining like a bunch of fat kids who are being hauled off to fat camp. Sorry, but it's true.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Especially in the two wars we are involved in now, I don't agree with them, just looking back I don't agree with Viet Nam or several others before 2000. I don't think we are far apart, might just be semantics or verbage that is keeping us apart. One of the things that I strive to do, as I think the 70 percent that lean one way or the other is a lot more powerful than the 15 percent on the fringe of each side.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

I am not sure what "Bill of Rights" you are referring to, however, the first amendment has to do with freedom of speech, press, and religion, doesn't mention slavery or servitude at all. However if you are speaking of Section 1 of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, you are quoting section 1 correctly. However this was not passed until 1865, and not considered to be part of the "Bill of Rights"

That is all you took away from my post? The Constitution doesn't stop at the 10th amendment. The Bill of Rights are the first 10 Amendments, but does not stop there.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I don't think 2 years serving in the military is a bad idea.
Many countries do this, it's about time we do.
Bad mouth the military, see what basic training is all about
and you'll have more respect for yourself and for your country.

Personally,
If you live in this country, you serve this country.
I'd drop my college classes and join the Air Force any day if I must
because regardless of how corrupt our gov't is, I love the USA.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am not sure how the op managed to tie this to Obama is has nothing to with him but, it is the same bill that gets drug out every couple years since 2003. It has no support and the guy who introduces it does not even bother to try and get it passed. It is simply a way to spur debate and make the point that all the people who support the wars would be far less likely to do so if they are thiers were the ones on the line. The debate being played out here is exactly the point and why he drags this thing out every so often. It does not get the press it used to but, I see it still has its desired effect even if the audience is much much smaller.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join