It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the new quote boxes with the scroll bars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The quote scroller was just too messy
No way, I find this new system way harder to read, you can't tell where one quote ends and the next starts with a quick glance. As I said, scroll bars are fine, especially if you set it so that only the vertical scroll bar appears only if the text takes up more lines than the specified max height of the quote box. My code snippet a page back would solve all the problems quickly and easily. The people working on this site would understand what I'm talking about.

[edit on 27/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Chadwickus
You gotta scroll 3 different bars to read the content, 4 if you include the page.

Then it never should have been quoted that way in the first place.

How are posts supposed to be quoted?

I always use the quote button. I just updated my IE so I thought the quote boxes were from my browser upgrade. Now they are different again. Weird!!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I don't know anything about writing code, but I'm all for ATS trying out member suggestions. How would your code look?work?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So has it reverted back to the old quote style?

I much prefer that, not keen on the scroll, dodgy looking new one.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

It would do just as I said. Quotes would look normal unless they reached a certain amount of lines, which "overflows" past the specified max height, at which point a vertical scroll bar would appear.

A few minutes ago ATS was using this code to style the quote box div:

class='quotebox' style='max-height:320px; overflow:hidden;'

That means once the quote reaches a certain amount of lines all extra text will be hidden. At which point you could use the expand button to view the rest.

My answer is to change one simple word and remove the expand button:

class='quotebox' style='max-height:320px; overflow:auto;'

That means once a quote reaches a certain amount of lines and the quote box exceeds a height of 320 pixels, the vertical scroll bar will automatically appear...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Despite using JavaScript methods that are "supposed" to be compliant on all browsers, many users were still having problems.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by blupblup

Despite using JavaScript methods that are "supposed" to be compliant on all browsers, many users were still having problems.

Stay tuned.

Give us an option for "classic mode" please.

I didn't like the new version, it was unnecessary and looked tacky. It will only serve as a negative to flowing discussion for those of who are lazy when it comes to scrolling & clicking (And believe me, there are many of us)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Weird, the scroll boxes were showing for me yesterday, but not anymore.

Either way, my only suggestion is that they not appear if they are not needed. Other than that, they are definitely a great idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

good idea about the vertical scrolls. Horizontal scrolls are completely unnecessary. And, as said before, the vertical scrolls should only appear when needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Yes, that's the general idea. I had actually thought of this a few months ago when I was looking over the source code of this website, and I thought this would be a good time to share the idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

i know it is a tad late but version i am using is 8.07.7600.16835

precisly...and not the only one who got that message of [object][object]

but keep up the good work...and when you come up with something put it to a vote knowing you can't please everybody...just look at windows...lol

i am sure we are intelligent people who can get used to a new idea or concept.

lol........wishful thinking

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
They don't seem to work on my iPhone. Just a quote box with a black line down the left side. No way to scroll or expand.

I browse the site almost exclusively via my phone so this kinda stinks.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join