It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the new quote boxes with the scroll bars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
You gotta scroll 3 different bars to read the content, 4 if you include the page.

Then it never should have been quoted that way in the first place.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Reminds me--the patient said to the doctor "It hurts when I move my arm like this"
Doctor: "Then don't move your arm like that. Now that will be $75."

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

jra

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm not liking the new quote boxes at all. Adding more things that one has to scroll through is generally a bad idea in my mind. The old boxes were simple and clean.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't like them.

Things were better in the old days (last week).

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The scroll bars on the quotes are butt ugly IMHO! They look disgusting on the dark BG. They may look better on the light BG. Can SO style different ones for each color scheme?

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Don't like it at all.

As it was I could just keep a finger on the down arrow key and scroll through a page. If a quote was super big then I just wouldn't read it. I like the way it was and if it ain'y broke then don't fix it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I understand the need for it and the concept is good but the execution is bad and the nesting is horrendous. At a minimum, if there isn't a need to scroll I would think the scrolling areas shouldn't be there but I know absolutely nothing about coding and don't know if that's possible. I also question the bottom scroll bar as it seems unnecessary.

It reminds me of having to click to "read more" on MSNBC and on the Fluent News iPhone app, both of which I despise. I would think the "maximum sized external-content fields" would eliminate the need for this but maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

Sad to say I've already circumvented my own way around using these as I dislike the look and feel of it that much. They're distracting, aesthetically unpleasing and needlessly cumbersome.

Looking forward to ATS2010!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Wow Bill... your taking this a bit personally mate! I don't believe it's correct to remove posts that graphically explain a design flaw or oversight and dub them "Off Topic". This is BB&Q and the thread in question concerns the scroll bars in the quotes. It's far from being off topic!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for advancing ATS... I'm all for improvements but as a designer myself, I know that sometimes things don't work out the way you had initially envisaged.

I guess moderators are going to have to police nested quotes now?

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

You gotta scroll 3 different bars to read the content, 4 if you include the page.

Then it never should have been quoted that way in the first place.

How are posts supposed to be quoted?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Oh look, the quote display is 'in progress". It now shows a little "expand" link.

Wouldn't it be great if there were a Javascript command that would make vague posters expand more lucidly on the point they were attempting to make?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm a bit confused and a little pissed off...

I pointed out an example of the flaw of this new quoting system, and Bill, you yourself replied to it.

Now hours later it get's marked off topic?

Why?

[edit on 27/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by LadySkadi

Oh look, the quote display is 'in progress". It now shows a little "expand" link.

Wouldn't it be great if there were a Javascript command that would make vague posters expand more lucidly on the point they were attempting to make?

Lol. True. That would be nice.

But hey, I knew the quote feature/scroll bar feature was a work in progress, just that post from S.O. had me confuzzled. Not going to stress over the look or the function until the kinks are worn out. Cheers.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The new code has been updated. To avoid lots of quoting in this thread, you can test it below.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque felis ante, sollicitudin sit amet mattis a, volutpat id tellus. Pellentesque ac ipsum felis, vitae scelerisque metus. In nec nisl vitae urna dictum ornare. Phasellus leo enim, vestibulum id vestibulum id, fringilla ut mauris. Praesent molestie porttitor fermentum. Nam congue, arcu ac sollicitudin elementum, sapien ligula sodales eros, sit amet molestie ipsum odio eu urna. Nunc quis leo et tellus bibendum faucibus. Fusce tincidunt cursus lacus, sit amet mollis mauris dictum ut. Aliquam erat volutpat. Suspendisse dictum orci quis tortor hendrerit dapibus vitae ac ligula. Mauris sit amet sapien ut tortor volutpat sollicitudin. Aenean viverra est id orci mollis sed tincidunt ipsum faucibus. Sed egestas, magna ac blandit hendrerit, tellus turpis scelerisque nunc, eu ullamcorper sem risus in leo. Pellentesque bibendum dolor a nibh pellentesque volutpat. Curabitur rutrum dictum ultricies. Integer pulvinar dapibus est, sed ornare sapien dapibus a. Nulla adipiscing tristique diam, pretium sodales dui interdum eu. Vestibulum at eros fermentum leo porttitor placerat eget sed leo. Donec ultricies diam ut nunc aliquam vitae viverra leo adipiscing.

Nunc in purus ligula, eget mollis quam. Sed aliquam tempus metus eget dignissim. Cras scelerisque scelerisque tristique. Nam vitae massa justo, ultricies mattis nulla. Phasellus auctor dictum nisi, mattis dapibus odio accumsan vel. Morbi mattis neque vitae enim fermentum nec posuere enim viverra. Pellentesque pharetra faucibus felis, ac congue dolor volutpat ut. Phasellus molestie libero ac dui luctus sollicitudin. Proin auctor tortor ac leo volutpat volutpat. Nullam fermentum dui ut sapien auctor lobortis. Fusce sollicitudin blandit faucibus. Nam tincidunt ultricies orci, vitae sagittis nibh varius fermentum. Morbi sodales erat vel risus accumsan dictum dignissim magna viverra. Fusce a varius tellus.

Donec nibh mi, tempor sed sollicitudin vel, fermentum in eros. Vivamus sit amet purus metus, faucibus posuere magna. Vivamus posuere elit a risus sodales condimentum. Curabitur sit amet metus in erat fermentum condimentum. In eu arcu libero. Nulla porttitor iaculis massa, et interdum odio fringilla eget. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Curabitur felis nisl, condimentum nec rhoncus nec, tempor quis ipsum. Quisque nec eros nisl. Nam ac nibh tellus. Morbi et erat ac diam accumsan bibendum nec bibendum quam. Duis congue iaculis orci. Donec est eros, tincidunt a condimentum at, pellentesque sit amet felis. In viverra rhoncus magna, non tincidunt sapien faucibus id. Aliquam tempor lectus eu ligula interdum sit amet tincidunt risus placerat. Nullam blandit, dolor vitae placerat cursus, leo risus imperdiet elit, vel commodo massa odio ac elit. Quisque tincidunt elit a nisi blandit eu suscipit mi suscipit.

Ut tellus erat, laoreet vel pulvinar a, pharetra vitae odio. Aliquam non nisi a metus tincidunt lobortis. Vivamus ut est quis nisi aliquet elementum id convallis lorem. Donec ipsum est, faucibus et dapibus vitae, bibendum sit amet lectus. Nam sapien ipsum, eleifend in pretium ut, mollis non arcu. Sed semper nisl nec nisi varius bibendum. In eget massa dui. Etiam rutrum justo sed quam consequat id pharetra erat ornare. Etiam ullamcorper diam a ante accumsan non lobortis erat commodo. Nullam feugiat massa sit amet nisi luctus sit amet fringilla nunc varius. Pellentesque volutpat enim eu tortor aliquet ut consectetur risus consectetur. Sed placerat elit egestas nulla cursus iaculis faucibus orci consectetur. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Proin gravida eros eu metus malesuada eu posuere ligula imperdiet. In metus mauris, posuere id bibendum congue, tempor sit amet mauris. Nunc sem justo, mollis posuere tristique nec, pulvinar ut nunc. Donec non leo justo, ac vestibulum magna. Nam ac nunc vitae justo placerat pulvinar sit amet sed lacus.

Integer at nisl sit amet leo lacinia vulputate ut ut magna. Sed purus metus, ornare sit amet consectetur ac, vehicula in nisi. Duis rutrum, quam vitae commodo auctor, nibh est mattis massa, ac tristique enim enim ac orci. Phasellus leo erat, fermentum at fringilla ut, elementum id leo. Aenean sit amet velit velit. Nam aliquam ornare mi, vitae iaculis augue molestie ac. Cras mollis nulla sed ipsum tempus molestie. Morbi ultricies dolor et dui congue adipiscing. Vestibulum vel dignissim mauris. Fusce tristique, eros sit amet elementum tristique, justo diam varius velit, sit amet tempus erat quam et odio. In sapien ante, vehicula id lobortis eu, tristique at arcu. Proin dui tortor, vehicula eu viverra in, rhoncus ac ante. Nullam interdum, est at aliquam ullamcorper, magna elit pharetra tortor, quis dignissim est quam vehicula mi. Aliquam erat volutpat. Praesent ut est at ante mollis sodales vel eu diam. Sed nibh dui, pulvinar dapibus convallis ut, iaculis at ligula. Quisque non bibendum augue. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.

Mauris quis nisl eros, consequat sagittis dolor. Etiam et mi lorem, quis condimentum ligula. Fusce in mi nisl, vitae commodo eros. Maecenas vitae risus urna, in ultricies tellus. Donec id lorem a arcu egestas eleifend. Nulla sodales ante vel arcu placerat ut egestas ligula mollis. Sed ultricies, elit at elementum pharetra, massa arcu varius mauris, quis porttitor libero purus a nunc. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Fusce erat nisl, lobortis sed malesuada a, aliquet consequat nulla. Praesent auctor vehicula nunc, vel adipiscing ipsum consequat sed.

Praesent blandit vestibulum sapien, vitae pulvinar felis scelerisque at. Duis rhoncus iaculis mauris, ut varius tellus fermentum quis. Mauris dapibus est vitae velit volutpat quis aliquam arcu congue. Proin risus magna, porttitor sed gravida vitae, congue id mauris. Sed varius, metus ut mattis aliquet, orci massa varius diam, ac tempor lacus erat ultrices risus. Integer feugiat orci nec dolor pretium malesuada. Vestibulum sit amet lorem enim, ac consectetur eros. Suspendisse potenti. Vivamus in libero est, vel pharetra velit. Etiam posuere rutrum mauris et elementum. Nam id ultricies sem. Vivamus vel purus est, quis viverra sem. Fusce placerat tincidunt tincidunt. Integer turpis leo, viverra sed porttitor quis, sagittis vitae mi. Suspendisse at tristique lorem. Etiam vestibulum semper diam.

Integer molestie suscipit quam. Phasellus convallis nulla sit amet metus rutrum ullamcorper. Vestibulum adipiscing vehicula magna eget commodo. Praesent elit velit, pharetra vel mattis sed, faucibus et lectus. Suspendisse aliquam nisl eu elit laoreet pretium. Mauris id nulla sit amet mauris lacinia congue. Suspendisse massa lacus, tempor nec feugiat a, cursus vel ipsum. Aliquam erat volutpat. Fusce in mauris eget ipsum varius ullamcorper. Aliquam mi lacus, pulvinar vitae molestie a, rhoncus et mauris. Pellentesque at quam id orci rhoncus scelerisque. Donec sit amet metus felis. Nam ac massa libero. Proin non velit at lacus vehicula aliquet sed a leo.

The above, by no means, is to be considered an indication we now allow big quotes.

The same rules apply... but now the expanding quote boxes should help inspire you to trim your quotes so that no expansion is needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Now hours later it get's marked off topic?

The multitude of nested quotes was simply over-the-top.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I don't believe it's correct to remove posts that graphically explain a design flaw or oversight and dub them "Off Topic".

But you seem to overlook the simple fact that those "examples" (an insane amount of nested quotes) would not be allowed in normal every day posting.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Even when used to prove a point in a thread about the new quoting system?

Not making trouble, just asking.

Also, the new system already looks much more user friendly.

[edit on 27/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Just a note that the expand button doesn't seem to do anything on my browser. Here's how your post shows up, by default:

Firefox 3.6.4; Linux x86_64

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join