It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the new quote boxes with the scroll bars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I agree. Particularly with 1 and 3. It would be nice if short quotes didnt require a box at all, but stayed in the old format, as the new format is bulky.

Though suggestion 2 might make that aspect better.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's a good idea. The white frame stands out too much, maybe a darker grey will prevent it overpowering the view of the post?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Nobody is asking me but I am not a fan of these newfangled roll bars.

They don't rock.

They don't even roll.

But like scotch, sure I will acquire a taste for them.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I understand the reasoning for the new format and I'm sure I will get use to it; however, it looks too bulky. It gives me the feeling of "browser gone crazy".

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think it's an eyesore. I don't like it with it's big, ugly nested scrollbars. Long quotes never bothered me. Now I have to stop and scroll to review if the quote isn't fully visible. It's unnerving! It's peculiar! It's deviant!

That's and IE8 seems to force compatibility view.

Edit: And what Aggie Man said: "Browser gone crazy". At first I thought it might be data corruption.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by EnlightenUp]

Lug

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
IE8 seems to force compatibility view.

I get that on Windows XP as well. Makes the page refresh after logging on but, after that it seems to work OK.

Not that it's a problem yet, but with Windows, one never knows what horrors lie just down the path, does one?

nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

4th line

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lug
Not that it's a problem yet, but with Windows, one never knows what horrors lie just down the path, does one?

One does not, or may not, or might not, or is a thrill-seeker that likes to race against the clock to finish typing until the next blue screen.

If I could turn this thing off, I would. Horizontal scrollbars shouldn't be needed and having a nice, thin one, perhaps on the left bar itself would be nice. I'm not sure that can be pulled-off.

Is this an admission that quote length cannot be effectively moderated?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We members of the Conservative Party don't like things changing.
I still haven't got over the repeal of the Corn Laws yet.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I like the new scroll quote deal as well but...

Can The Admin experiment with the color a bit?
As it is now it seems a tad bit blah

[edit on 26-7-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
But like scotch, sure I will acquire a taste for them.

Johnny Walker red.

I think they are a tad bit bland.
They need to be jazzed up in color me thinks

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think the quote boxes are a good space reduction feature and allows room for more info after a qoute and i think the remarks about maybe slimming down the sliders and possibly a more condusive colour for blending into the scheme would be nice

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I just noticed something. I haven't seen as of yet one single Mod or Admin reply or respond to us.

Maybe if we all quickly mass U2U the Conspiracy Chicks
and get them on this case we may just get some feed back.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I just noticed something. I haven't seen as of yet one single Mod or Admin reply or respond to us.

Maybe if we all quickly mass U2U the Conspiracy Chicks
and get them on this case we may just jet some feed back.

This is Bill's response from the ATS Issues Thread:

We've always stressed that only a small snippet of external sources should be used, along with a link to the source. I happened to have been working on some related new code for the 2010 site, and discovered a graceful way to visually limit the displayed text of external sources. Hopefully, this will help everyone focus a little more on the most-relevant portion of off-site content, and use that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If I remember correctly (before some threads or posters(?) got most of us cut-off from accessing the new 2010ATS) the quote boxes were not as glaring as they are currently appearing here. So, we will all probably have to wait until it's fully implemented to really see how it's going to look.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I read that earlier I knew about the how and why i was agreeing that it didn't look all that cool though as it is now.

reply to post by LadySkadi

Thanks for clearing that up.
I missed the experience of that.

So in the end I guess no conspiracy chick involvement

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Hopefully I'll get used to them, but I've gotta admit I'm not a big fan.

I agree with beebs that they're ugly when the scroll bar isn't needed (when it is needed too, but at least then they have an excuse).

Nested scroll bars look like this

But of course it against the rules to use them anyway

Hate them!!! Now I will get nicked!!

[edit on 26/7/2010 by PuterMan]

LOL It reminds me of holding a small mirror up to a bigger mirror ... then peek over and see it go on forever getting smaller and smaller

Some things that seem great on the drawing board ... Completely fail in the execution phase...

Perhaps a folding outline mode *MIGHT* be more widely accepted? With an ENABLE/DISABLE option?

It's called code folding in IDE's...

[edit on 7·26·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Thank you for inducing a seizure.

Perhaps a folding outline mode *MIGHT* be more widely accepted? With an ENABLE/DISABLE option?

Brilliant. Yes! Show a few lines with a collapse/expand box, if I understand what you mean.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Lol, maybe the seizure inducing aspect of the nesting scroll bars is part of a plan to get us to hit the "alert" button more often when people are abusing quoting.

I know I was tempted on that post, but the seizure made it too hard to find the alert button.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The scroll bars are temporary is a more graceful system is being developed. Initially it looked good, but not every browser handles these types of scrolls in the same way.

This, and the maximum sized external-content fields are some early parts of the 2010 code that is creeping into the current code base.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the "heads up" there.

I was having some "difficulties" with some external quotes I was trying to post earlier.

Know now you'll probably have that cleared up soon.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join