It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the new quote boxes with the scroll bars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The same rules apply... but now the expanding quote boxes should help inspire you to trim your quotes so that no expansion is needed.

Unfortunately, the expand buttons don't seem to do anything.

Edit to add: on a Mac using Firefox. A screenshot here would look pretty much just like Ian's.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Ditto.

Same browser, similar Linux system.

link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Even when used to prove a point...

But really, if the point is something we don't allow in the first place, is it a valid point?

link   
Personally, I kind of like it.

It needs improvement, however. Scroll boxes needn't be present if the quote itself is too short to require one. Also, the scroll bars themselves should take on a more camouflaged appearance, in respect to the sites typical background colors.

I think it will help keep thread surfing a little more practical. Sometimes a topic will grow exponentially, and it has been a long standing practice that "long quotes" get removed, thus disabling any sort of efficiency for folks coming into the thread late.

"What did he quote? I'm lost... Let's see, 10 pages? Guess I'll never know.."

etc.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

In this thread, yes it was excessive, but I did also link to a post from another thread where the kind of quote nesting wouldn't be too uncommon...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
NOT FOR ME.

When you are trying to read someones reply to someone else, it helps that the conversation prior is RIGHT THERE in front of you. It helps while trying to make sense of what people are talking about.
Not to mention everytime I try to expand..It leads me to a blank page saying

"Object Object"

This is NOT COOL.

I hope they fix it or put it back the way it was.

"If it aint broke, dont fix it".

edit

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Common Good]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

In this thread, yes it was excessive, but I did also link to a post from another thread where the kind of quote nesting wouldn't be too uncommon...

Indeed. We see them every day on the board Bill, thus making the post (which was removed as off topic) a valid concern that should be brought to light in BB&Q.

In an case, the new expand button is generating a _javascript error in my browser. Anyone got a fix?

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Just tried it on IE6. The embedded quotes in SO's example show up now, but expanded by default. And clicking the expand button doesn't change the layout, it just makes the button disappear.

Tried this on three browsers now; the only one it seems to work with is Safari.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Well i used the expand on your example and it did not work...It took me to a blank page that had this

[objec][object]

IE 8.0

i can understand the quote issue....and it seems that in most of the cases.
people seem to use the quoting to bite the heads off other members for their points of view.

lots of time i personally don't see it as expanding or expounding upon a particular topic.

when you reply to a particular post i think people ...(prays) are intelligent enough to see where the point is being made from...

and also....for the most part by the time a thread is say two pages past a post....the thread has usually already taken a new course.

now people that are nesting quote after quote after quote after quote...(see tired of just typing it)

need to be shown it is not helping their particular viewpoint as most people IMHO just breeze past the rabble.

Also keep in mind this is like conversing in RL the more someone shouts the more they think they are being heard....

well that is not the case...and also some people are not as well versed...and might not have the english language down to a tee.

i also notice alot of people use the word ignorance....when the word arrogance can be quite appropriate in some cases... because it is their own arrogance they are trying to shout someone down by using the quoting rather than in their own words just pointing out their opinion.

no please remember...and it does seem i have to point this out lots to people on here .

IT IS JUST MY OPINION

[edit on 27-7-2010 by plube]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by plube]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
Well i used the expand on your example and it did not work...It took me to a blank page that had this
IE 8.0

What version are you using? It works fine on both IE7 and 8 on this end.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

IE8 is fine here.

I was thinking more along these lines (quick and crude mockup PNG):
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be495342aa65.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

IE8 is fine here.

Firefox 3.6.8 Isn't.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

IE8 is fine here.

Firefox 3.6.8 Isn't.

I was reporing on my own status but that's precisely why I hated web design. This browser looks good and all is ok, that browser doesn't and it's messed up. It's maddening I tell ya! I have a hunch there's a way to get it to work but if that terrible experience from the past tells me anything, it's probably some sort of client checking.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I like the expand feature,the scroll feature looked too messy.

Any hints as to when you guys roll out the new upgraded ats??

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I'm running FF 3.6.8 too and the expand thingy works fine after allowing jquery in NoScript.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I prefer the 'expand' button to the scroll bars. It's a much cleaner look. Although if people would learn how to edit quotes, neither would be needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The new code has been updated. To avoid lots of quoting in this thread, you can test it below.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque felis ante, sollicitudin sit amet mattis a, volutpat id tellus. Pellentesque ac ipsum felis, vitae scelerisque metus. In nec nisl vitae urna dictum ornare. Phasellus leo enim, vestibulum id vestibulum id, fringilla ut mauris. Praesent molestie porttitor fermentum. Nam congue, arcu ac sollicitudin elementum, sapien ligula sodales eros, sit amet molestie ipsum odio eu urna. Nunc quis leo et tellus bibendum faucibus. Fusce tincidunt cursus lacus, sit amet mollis mauris dictum ut. Aliquam erat volutpat. Suspendisse dictum orci quis tortor hendrerit dapibus vitae ac ligula. Mauris sit amet sapien ut tortor volutpat sollicitudin. Aenean viverra est id orci mollis sed tincidunt ipsum faucibus. Sed egestas, magna ac blandit hendrerit, tellus turpis scelerisque nunc, eu ullamcorper sem risus in leo. Pellentesque bibendum dolor a nibh pellentesque volutpat. Curabitur rutrum dictum ultricies. Integer pulvinar dapibus est, sed ornare sapien dapibus a. Nulla adipiscing tristique diam, pretium sodales dui interdum eu. Vestibulum at eros fermentum leo porttitor placerat eget sed leo. Donec ultricies diam ut nunc aliquam vitae viverra leo adipiscing.

Nunc in purus ligula, eget mollis quam. Sed aliquam tempus metus eget dignissim. Cras scelerisque scelerisque tristique. Nam vitae massa justo, ultricies mattis nulla. Phasellus auctor dictum nisi, mattis dapibus odio accumsan vel. Morbi mattis neque vitae enim fermentum nec posuere enim viverra. Pellentesque pharetra faucibus felis, ac congue dolor volutpat ut. Phasellus molestie libero ac dui luctus sollicitudin. Proin auctor tortor ac leo volutpat volutpat. Nullam fermentum dui ut sapien auctor lobortis. Fusce sollicitudin blandit faucibus. Nam tincidunt ultricies orci, vitae sagittis nibh varius fermentum. Morbi sodales erat vel risus accumsan dictum dignissim magna viverra. Fusce a varius tellus.

Donec nibh mi, tempor sed sollicitudin vel, fermentum in eros. Vivamus sit amet purus metus, faucibus posuere magna. Vivamus posuere elit a risus sodales condimentum. Curabitur sit amet metus in erat fermentum condimentum. In eu arcu libero. Nulla porttitor iaculis massa, et interdum odio fringilla eget. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Curabitur felis nisl, condimentum nec rhoncus nec, tempor quis ipsum. Quisque nec eros nisl. Nam ac nibh tellus. Morbi et erat ac diam accumsan bibendum nec bibendum quam. Duis congue iaculis orci. Donec est eros, tincidunt a condimentum at, pellentesque sit amet felis. In viverra rhoncus magna, non tincidunt sapien faucibus id. Aliquam tempor lectus eu ligula interdum sit amet tincidunt risus placerat. Nullam blandit, dolor vitae placerat cursus, leo risus imperdiet elit, vel commodo massa odio ac elit. Quisque tincidunt elit a nisi blandit eu suscipit mi suscipit.

Ut tellus erat, laoreet vel pulvinar a, pharetra vitae odio. Aliquam non nisi a metus tincidunt lobortis. Vivamus ut est quis nisi aliquet elementum id convallis lorem. Donec ipsum est, faucibus et dapibus vitae, bibendum sit amet lectus. Nam sapien ipsum, eleifend in pretium ut, mollis non arcu. Sed semper nisl nec nisi varius bibendum. In eget massa dui. Etiam rutrum justo sed quam consequat id pharetra erat ornare. Etiam ullamcorper diam a ante accumsan non lobortis erat commodo. Nullam feugiat massa sit amet nisi luctus sit amet fringilla nunc varius. Pellentesque volutpat enim eu tortor aliquet ut consectetur risus consectetur. Sed placerat elit egestas nulla cursus iaculis faucibus orci consectetur. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Proin gravida eros eu metus malesuada eu posuere ligula imperdiet. In metus mauris, posuere id bibendum congue, tempor sit amet mauris. Nunc sem justo, mollis posuere tristique nec, pulvinar ut nunc. Donec non leo justo, ac vestibulum magna. Nam ac nunc vitae justo placerat pulvinar sit amet sed lacus.

Integer at nisl sit amet leo lacinia vulputate ut ut magna. Sed purus metus, ornare sit amet consectetur ac, vehicula in nisi. Duis rutrum, quam vitae commodo auctor, nibh est mattis massa, ac tristique enim enim ac orci. Phasellus leo erat, fermentum at fringilla ut, elementum id leo. Aenean sit amet velit velit. Nam aliquam ornare mi, vitae iaculis augue molestie ac. Cras mollis nulla sed ipsum tempus molestie. Morbi ultricies dolor et dui congue adipiscing. Vestibulum vel dignissim mauris. Fusce tristique, eros sit amet elementum tristique, justo diam varius velit, sit amet tempus erat quam et odio. In sapien ante, vehicula id lobortis eu, tristique at arcu. Proin dui tortor, vehicula eu viverra in, rhoncus ac ante. Nullam interdum, est at aliquam ullamcorper, magna elit pharetra tortor, quis dignissim est quam vehicula mi. Aliquam erat volutpat. Praesent ut est at ante mollis sodales vel eu diam. Sed nibh dui, pulvinar dapibus convallis ut, iaculis at ligula. Quisque non bibendum augue. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.

Mauris quis nisl eros, consequat sagittis dolor. Etiam et mi lorem, quis condimentum ligula. Fusce in mi nisl, vitae commodo eros. Maecenas vitae risus urna, in ultricies tellus. Donec id lorem a arcu egestas eleifend. Nulla sodales ante vel arcu placerat ut egestas ligula mollis. Sed ultricies, elit at elementum pharetra, massa arcu varius mauris, quis porttitor libero purus a nunc. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Fusce erat nisl, lobortis sed malesuada a, aliquet consequat nulla. Praesent auctor vehicula nunc, vel adipiscing ipsum consequat sed.

Praesent blandit vestibulum sapien, vitae pulvinar felis scelerisque at. Duis rhoncus iaculis mauris, ut varius tellus fermentum quis. Mauris dapibus est vitae velit volutpat quis aliquam arcu congue. Proin risus magna, porttitor sed gravida vitae, congue id mauris. Sed varius, metus ut mattis aliquet, orci massa varius diam, ac tempor lacus erat ultrices risus. Integer feugiat orci nec dolor pretium malesuada. Vestibulum sit amet lorem enim, ac consectetur eros. Suspendisse potenti. Vivamus in libero est, vel pharetra velit. Etiam posuere rutrum mauris et elementum. Nam id ultricies sem. Vivamus vel purus est, quis viverra sem. Fusce placerat tincidunt tincidunt. Integer turpis leo, viverra sed porttitor quis, sagittis vitae mi. Suspendisse at tristique lorem. Etiam vestibulum semper diam.

Integer molestie suscipit quam. Phasellus convallis nulla sit amet metus rutrum ullamcorper. Vestibulum adipiscing vehicula magna eget commodo. Praesent elit velit, pharetra vel mattis sed, faucibus et lectus. Suspendisse aliquam nisl eu elit laoreet pretium. Mauris id nulla sit amet mauris lacinia congue. Suspendisse massa lacus, tempor nec feugiat a, cursus vel ipsum. Aliquam erat volutpat. Fusce in mauris eget ipsum varius ullamcorper. Aliquam mi lacus, pulvinar vitae molestie a, rhoncus et mauris. Pellentesque at quam id orci rhoncus scelerisque. Donec sit amet metus felis. Nam ac massa libero. Proin non velit at lacus vehicula aliquet sed a leo.

The above, by no means, is to be considered an indication we now allow big quotes.

The same rules apply... but now the expanding quote boxes should help inspire you to trim your quotes so that no expansion is needed.

SkepticOverlord! first, sorry for using ALL qoutes above as an example.

When I tried to expand the quote in your post above it worked just fine for me - but when I try to expand other quotes elsewhere on ATS (even in this thread) it doesn't work - the button just disappear and nothing's happening when I click your new beautifully designed button.

I really like this new design much better than the white scroll bars yesterday, which just looked messy and ugly from a design point of view.

These new ones looks great! - the design is beautiful and blends in beautifully with the rest of the ATS design.

But I can not get the expand buttons to work! - the only expand button that worked for me was in this post of yours above - how come, why is that so?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It doesn't work on my android phone, if this is how the new ATS is going to be guess I wont be able to use the site anymore.........awesome

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The scroll bars - were fine - the expand button - sucks. Things just look messy and hard to read.

PS - If you're going to have some sort of expand function, have a small + and - symbol.

EDIT: My personal recommendation would be to use the scroll bars but set the overflow to auto so they aren't always visible.

class='quotebox' style='max-height: 320px; overflow:auto;'

[edit on 27/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I like the expand button feature. The quote scroller was just too messy. Let's keep the expand button. Now all we need is a Caffè latte button and we'll be all set. :-)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join