It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving back, to America 2011? smart move or fail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
First of a short background, in my last year of college *getting a degree in Retail/business*
Im American, only when I was younger, my parents moved to Europe, which is mkay, but now that im older, and about to finish school, I want to move back to my roots.

Because, I dont feel at home in Europe, realy miss the american culture, thats just what I feel like, and proud to be American.
So I want to move back next year..

Now my question, for fellow ATS`ers, what are your thoughts, on a american, moving back to home soil?
In these times, you hear alot on TV, about how bad america is in economy and how they keep fighting with Irak etc.

I just want to build a life back in America, a decent job, and see where the road takes me.

Also if you have any tips, what states to stay faaaaaaaar away from, and what cities, are great to start off at, it be apreciated.
Any other, general tips, or personal experiences, feel free to share, all knowledge is usefull.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Impro]

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Impro]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
As far as I am concerned, there is no place on Earth that is really "safe".

So it doesn't matter where you go really.

Nice to have you coming back to the states though. Travel safely and enjoy the trip.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I would say that can be an extremely good idea if you have a couple of things. 1- A decent job. 2-Money in the bank. Homes are selling cheap. A person can set themself up well now IF you have the means.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm sure you could find a job anywhere you go. I can't really speak of the best places to go. Like in my state(ND) our unemployment is one of the best and our state has a surplus so it's in pretty good shape considering. But alot of the state is kept up from like wind energy, Oil, coal and your typical crops. Not sure if that helps with your degree though.

Where are you from originally? If that area isn't too bad it couldn't hurt to start from there and see what happens.

People though like to paint the US as looking much worse than it is. But I have seen some areas worse than others but from I've seen all the way from ND all the way down to OK it's pretty good still.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If I were to choose anywhere right now, it would be South America. Probably Chile or Argentina... or even Brazil. But like a poster above said, there's no perfectly safe place. There are different issues in different countries. If I felt like I could make it in a foreign country and not be completely poor and destitute then I would move tomorrow. But my language skills are crap, so I feel kind of stuck.

Now that's not a total knock on america, there are lots of things i like about my home. I could just do without the government and the mega corporations. Get rid of those and America is an awesome place.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If you're picking an American state, I'd go for the mountain west. Probably New Mexico or Colorado, but hey I like mountains. Stay away from the SE. They were already a mess, and now they have the gulf disaster thing. Oregon is a good place. So is Maine. Texas is ok if you move to central Texas, though Rick Perry is like a drug-lord dictator. He even rents out a mansion for 22 thousand dollars a month using our tax money. He's like Kaddafi and Noriega all rolled into one. enough about perry though.. haha

San Diego is a great city. Northern Cali is still nice. Austin and Portland and Seattle are great.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Maybe you should go back and try to steer your country to a more sustainable direction. I just read that today :

America, There Is a Better Way: It’s Called Germany
What anemic America can learn from Europe’s export-happy engine and largest social democracy.

Source : Alternet

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Most people would think I'm crazy to say this, but I believe in the long run Detroit Michigan will make a huge comeback in the next 5 to 10 years. Also, it's not as dangerous as people might think, especially not downtown Detroit. I would also suggest Chicago, Minneapolis, or any other major city in the Mid-West, although again, most people would say I'm crazy, but I've been correct before.

Someone else mentioned South America. That would also be a great place, as long as you avoided the coc aine countries. Chile, Argentina, Brazil, etc, are all great countries with a good standard of living.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
hmm..i think thats the bad year to go back, 2011? thats when the u.s will have a major tax boom..

none the less i recommend the west such as Colorado, wyoming, oregon, and canada to!
this is where you will still see the remaining beauty of what once was a very lush continent..

you can also check out south dakota (mt. rush more)or nebraska, and if you like you can check out the caves near kentucky or rural illinois.

city wise i don't think it would be a pleasant experience, i would rather travel the remaining outback then the polluted industrial sections of america..

but you can check some cities like denver, seattle, chicago, and in canada: vancouver, toronto.

also areas near alaska and british columbia are breath taking (especially near the sea or on the Rockies)..but you need to be prepared because it is dangerous out in isolation.

hope that helped

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gagol
Maybe you should go back and try to steer your country to a more sustainable direction. I just read that today :

America, There Is a Better Way: It’s Called Germany
What anemic America can learn from Europe’s export-happy engine and largest social democracy.

Source : Alternet

Enjoy!

I'm planning to move to Germany even though I myself am currently living in a mini-version of Germany: Holland. I've already lived there and love the country, but as for America learning from Germany... I don't know. The thing is, America has grown enormously wealthy in just a few decades - or rather, some people did. This is a direct result of the PetroDollar, which very simply explained enables the US to issue Dollars at no cost (inflation) and hence, can spend almost infinitely as the only country in the world.

However, corruption, countless wars and over-excessive spending have lead to problems that cannot be repaired - the US has reached a point of no return.

Although I'll be spending a semester in the US next year and I'm really looking forward, one would be out of his mind to move to the US. Unless you think that the coming economic Armageddon, set to struck the world and especially the US, is a fairy tale, you would be crazy to move there. I'm afraid that the times of the American dream are over. Martial law, a Dollar collapse... I, for one, wouldn't like to live there nowadays.

Surely, things are going to be very bad here too, but I predict that the situation in many parts of the US is going to be more chaotic and escaping from an European country is way easier than leaving the US.

Perhaps you should consider South-America. That's where the elites are buying property now.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Alot of great replies, some grimmer about america, others more brightfull.
South America, might also be an option, Id have to check, and see what life is like there, the culture and the people.

A challenging road, lays ahead of me. But I will be home.. one day !

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Impro

I personally would move away from the US if I could.. but hey, that's just me. It doesn't matter where you are, the economy is going to suck.

What state depends on what you like, where your from, expectations you know.. Personally, I like the East Coast, but if your into crackpot liberals move to the West Coast (Though the traffic out here is the worst I've ever experienced, and they have some absolutely retarded laws) South is cheaper than the North, West is most expensive, Mid West is cheapest, ....

Do some research. Decide where you want to move. THEN compare pro-con .. your a bit ahead of your self, as the American economy is vastly diverse.. it'd be like me saying I want to move to Europe, but Britain and Hungary would be quite different, just like Washington and Alabama would.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Forgive me but wasn't Argentina suffering thru some upheaval? There was a blogger named Ferfal, who has documented his life during the economic crisis, political strife and the general upheaval that has occurred. According to someone that lived there... it wasn't a happy place to live.

BTW Texas isn't as evil as you make it out to be. Perry may be a dumbass but he's much better than White. He was my Mayor for the past 8 years... disaster. Texas is HUGE. Mountain"like" area to the north, desert to the west, swamp and beaches to the east and southeast. The food is awesome, oh and we have a STRONG economy, no state taxes, and contrary to popular belief, we are friendly, neighborly and protective.

South Dakota isn't bad (grew up in Rapid City) but if aren't prepped for the weather, it's a life changer. 50- below in the winter is the norm. There really isn't any great jobs unless you know someone, are enlisted, or have obscene luck. There is farming, health care or tourism.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by brutalsun]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Stay away from new jersey!! Thats the most expensive and densley populated state in america. Im from there so id know. Also Indiana is pretty cheap compared to jersey so...yup.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'm not sure South America or anywhere else for that matter would be a good option for you. You say that you are pro American, miss your roots and culture so I'd think you'd feel that same feeling if you move anywhere but the USA.

Anyways, you may want to look in to Western Michigan, especially North Western Michigan(lower peninsula). Traverse City and it surrounding areas are extremely beautiful, full of culture, and great people! Not to mention all 4 seasons.

new topics

top topics

join