It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China oil spill doubles in size, is deemed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

China oil spill doubles in size, is deemed

www.msnbc.msn.com

The oil slick started spreading five days ago when a pipeline at a busy northeastern port exploded, sparking a massive fire that took more than 15 hours to contain. Hundreds of boats have been deployed to help with the cleanup.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Maybe this has already been posted but this is the first I have heard of this, isn't it odd that this pump exploded the same day that BP capped the one in the Gulf ? I'm not sure if all the earthquakes in the world are related to us humans draining oil reserves and the underground displacement happening, but this is another website I check daily:
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...
yesterday alone there were 19 earthquakes that I'm sure not many people know of, anyhow this is my first post so let me know how many think this is just a coincidence.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well this is it. China proves if she is better or worst at it and embarrasses the US or not.

I hope to see the US get ripped a new one on disaster management by the most polluted nation on Earth. Absolute greatest irony in the universe.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl
yesterday alone there were 19 earthquakes that I'm sure not many people know of

Wrong!!

Yesterday there were 167
earthquakes spread between the EMSC and USGS and I have not included the Iranian, Chilean, Icelandic, New Zealand, Canadian and various other services because those two are the only ones my program downloads automatically at present.

There are always hundreds of earthquakes every day so I would not be getting exited about it. Yesterday was quite interesting as there was a good rattling session in Papua New Guinea and a few bumps in Chile, but nothing to write home about.

I would not like to state categorically that the quakes and oil are not related because there is not enough evidence and we do not have all the details (we being outside observers)

The Live Seismic Server is a good link if you want to see what is going on around the world, but you will also need to learn to interpret the seismograms.

You will get any help you need on the Quake Watch 2010 thread (that link goes to the last post)

This is the EMSC earthquake list, and this is the link for Live Earthquake Mashup

You will find a good resource on reading the plots here even though it is about monitoring seismos for volcanic activity.

There are a number of other link I could give you if you are interested. (u2u me)

Finally you should be aware that earthquakes are caused by promiscuous women according to some clerics!

Edit for the inevitable grammatical error!!

[edit on 21/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...
yesterday alone there were 19 earthquakes that I'm sure not many people know of, anyhow this is my first post so let me know how many think this is just a coincidence.

I like your Earthquake link-- but for some reason some of the links to specific Earthquakes data pages (the "stars" on the map) don't work. I did, however, click on the red dot that represents the station in Hockley Texas near the gulf-- it was not starred as an Earthquake, but the graph sure does look ominous to me!

Edit to add the link: Hockley, Texas seismic data from 7/21

[edit on 7/21/2010 by new_here]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I am not too familiar with what is happening in China, but are the two oil spills comparable? The oil in China is from a pipeline?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Don't be concerned. That is not Texas. If you look at the Live Internet Seismic Server you will notice that it appears on nearly all seismos round the world.

In addition the signature tells you immediately that this is a distant quake. It looks as if it is possibly from the 6.3 in Papua New Guinea but it seems to be a long time after that - problem is these get very jumbled and difficult to read. I would have expected the initial signal from that to arrive around 19:35 UTC and it does look as if that is the case.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There are getting to be several threads on this same topic. First thread started 19-7-2010:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Here are some updates:

Large China oil spill threatens sea life, water

BEIJING – China's largest reported oil spill emptied beaches along the Yellow Sea as its size doubled Wednesday, while cleanup efforts included straw mats and frazzled workers with little more than rubber gloves.

An official warned the spill posed a "severe threat" to sea life and water quality as China's latest environmental crisis spread off the shores of Dalian, once named China's most livable city.

One cleanup worker has drowned, his body coated in crude.

"I've been to a few bays today and discovered they were almost entirely covered with dark oil," said Zhong Yu with environmental group Greenpeace China, who spent the day on a boat inspecting the spill.

"The oil is half-solid and half liquid and is as sticky as asphalt," she told The Associated Press by telephone.

The oil had spread over 165 square miles (430 square kilometers) of water five days since a pipeline at the busy northeastern port exploded, hurting oil shipments from part of China's strategic oil reserves to the rest of the country. Shipments remained reduced Wednesday.

news.yahoo.com...

This is a pretty big mess that isn't getting the attention it needs.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by new_here

Don't be concerned. That is not Texas. If you look at the Live Internet Seismic Server you will notice that it appears on nearly all seismos round the world.

In addition the signature tells you immediately that this is a distant quake. It looks as if it is possibly from the 6.3 in Papua New Guinea but it seems to be a long time after that - problem is these get very jumbled and difficult to read. I would have expected the initial signal from that to arrive around 19:35 UTC and it does look as if that is the case.

Oh, ok! That's a relief. Thanks for the info!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I expect that China will quickly contain and clean up the spill making the US efforts in the Gulf look incompetent.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
wow I think what the world needs now is journalism sweet journalism

I had no idea that this had happened ,figures China wants be just like us

Since China is so polluted is it possible that this is not an issue for them?

maybe that's why we haven't heard of it

wow! why do TPTB want yachts and a dead ocean?

new topics

top topics

join