It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

There are no conclusions or observations for billions of years in the past

The Hubble took deep field images showing Galaxies over 10 Billion years old as part of the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey (GOODS).

Link to image

We've peered back to the beginning of the Universe and its WAY older than 6,000, 10,000 or whatever other absurdly small number the Creationist propaganda mill has drilled into your head.

Here's a video of the young Earth idea getting pwned, hard, but its kinda moot since Young Earth ideas are pwned by geologists in their day to day activities.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I believe to answer your question I first would need the answer to a different question. Is time lineal or circular? I lack that answer in my short term as well as long term pard. If you can supply that info please.

Uhh, I wasn't asking about the nature of time itself, I was asking if you thought what we see through telescopes are past or current conditions of the object being studied. The answer is that you're looking into the past since it takes time for photons to reach the earth, so your whole "thinking we know anything about the universe billions of years ago is akin to insanity and magic" comment is based from complete and utter ignorance of the topic.

How is calling attention to the obvious to be considered trolling?
Evolutionists constantly mocking good people with real moral values. Who believe in God instead of a bunch hyped up bigoted theories. Oh ya I'm trolling alright. Joke.

Because you completely disregard empirical evidence as some sort of conspiracy when it doesn't fit into your narrow, indoctrinated view of reality.

So "evolutionists" aren't good people with real moral values? Yeah, those darn heathens basing their views on empirical evidence and not a book written thousands of years ago, shame on them. I mean its not like religious fanatics and creationists ever attack science or any other group that doesn't agree with them, never ever.

The hypocrisy is just amazing.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Myth Jumping Genes Can I use that? I swear Myth ,Jumping, not benes but genes? Is this a set-up for an inside pitch or what? Cmon. You got me. You got me good. Jump'in genes what's next?: On my back lmao. That's to funny. Myth hey Myth lil tip here for ya, k? Don't ever say that during a serious conversation ok. I mean jump'in genes myth please don't do that.

Well I would of said, Transposons, but I did not think anyone would understand that. So I made the simple term of jumping genes, because that is what they essentially do. And I do not appreciate your mocking tone. I am actually trying to discuss something with you rather than just outright making fun of you. But if you can only use condescending tones and your higher than mighty attitude then have fun. But no one appreciates your twelve year old attitude. And the bad thing is that I am only 18 and your probably way older than me....

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

Transitional Fossils

List of Transitional Fossils

Those aren't enough for you?

What about the fact we've directly observed speciation on numerous occasions?

Science doesn't know everything and of course we will never have all the gaps in the fossil record filled entirely, we'd need to find a specimen of every species that ever lived to do that and fossilization isn't common enough to ever find all of them. The fossil evidence we do have all points toward evolution anyway and none of it points toward Creation.

But yeah some people will never be satisfied, even with mountains of evidence Kirk Cameron will still be left waiting for his Crocoduck.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Evolution says nothing. It merely adapts to the environment, and species evolve.

Evolutionary biologists and scientists in general however say quite a lot, yes.

If you want to listen to a serious scientist with an open mind David Eagleman is your guy. Possibilianism is perhaps the rebuttal for Richard Dawkins and his followers. You have to go through a bit of the interview till he starts talking about Possibilianism but it's worth it.

ia331205.us.archive.org...

I do however think it right for the application of science to exclude metaphysics. Metaphysical conjecture is the opposite of the scientific method. Too bad some scientists can't remember this when launching into "Religion is t3h evil!" tirades and flatly declaring that God, or gods, do not exist. Who knows really? Maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster is out there.

The scientists can often be as dogmatic as the religious zealots they hunt down.

[edit on 19/7/10 by Extant Taxon]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Extant Taxon

Maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster is out there

I'm pretty sure that's the point of the FSM. Some people who argue for God's existence really do stoop to that level of "Well you don't KNOW for certain he isn't out there". The same can be said for the good old FSM, and unicorns, and giant space penguins for that matter.

As for Evolution, its real whether Gods exist or not and most theists understand and accept this. Others it seems, like Randy, cling to unchanging myths written thousands of years ago instead of constantly self-refining scientific work that gets better as we collect more info.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DisappearCompletely

So "evolutionists" aren't good people with real moral values? Yeah, those darn heathens basing their views on empirical evidence and not a book written thousands of years ago, shame on

What you say here is really self evident. I mean you won't catch me putting words in peoples mouth like that. Never.

Myth
On my skin. I did not mean to mock you. The humor was totally innocent.
While I obviously used what you said in my retort. That retort really is directed at no one person. This is a passionate subject that I learn more about every freekon day
. So above all I have only you guys posting to my thread to thank.
Believe me I'm the first guy that can do with out all the mocking, sarcasm,
and straight out insults. (Titen) Isn't that really, what this thread is about?
I'm simply trying to show, how it ALL can be made to sound completely absurd. Not just God. not just the Bible. Look what I did to your writing.
and I went light using the Kinison thing.
That crap dosn't feel very good dose it Myth.
That's why I ignore posts at random. And answer in the same manner. Cause no one is speaking or agreeing to what this thread is about. So who is really being ignored here?

Look at the post by Disappear. Am I wrong in what I said to that?
I wasn't laughing at you Myth.
As for your dodging the use of the word transposons. I transpose lines on to walls in my work everyday, I would have understood you. I like jumpin genes better though.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
reply to post by randyvs

Myth Jumping Genes Can I use that? I swear Myth ,Jumping, not benes but genes? Is this a set-up for an inside pitch or what? Cmon. You got me. You got me good. Jump'in genes what's next?: On my back lmao. That's to funny. Myth hey Myth lil tip here for ya, k? Don't ever say that during a serious conversation ok. I mean jump'in genes myth please don't do that.

Well I would of said, Transposons, but I did not think anyone would understand that. So I made the simple term of jumping genes, because that is what they essentially do. And I do not appreciate your mocking tone. I am actually trying to discuss something with you rather than just outright making fun of you. But if you can only use condescending tones and your higher than mighty attitude then have fun. But no one appreciates your twelve year old attitude. And the bad thing is that I am only 18 and your probably way older than me....

Transposons?
Yes, that's way too technical for Creationist, that goes right over their Heads, the only thing that they can handle above their Heads are Gods, Angels, big Hands, Halos, and off course Water, lots and lots of Water.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Evolution proves a lot of things including the origins of life.

We have a thread on this which has all the answers that you seek including questions about Intelligent Design here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Leonardo01

Thank you for the links Leo, Do you want to say anything else.
If you do man nows the time.

Extant takon
I appreciate the link thank you so much.
David Eagleman
He certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
How old is this kid? 22 23 maybe?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
My argument against "creationism" is that is I find the idea of a All loving, benevolent so called "christian" god untenable.

If you think indeed that there is a maker then look at the world around you.As art is a reflection of the maker then the world shows that god is perhaps more of a malevolent and insidious entity than anything that is remotely "good".

However I feel god is a huge"x" in a given equation because it is the size of the universe that confounds us.If such an entity exists then you must understand that its purpose has nothing to do with human beings.We are as relevant as "particles of dust" in the scheme of things.There is however no evidence of such an "entity".

In ancient times "god" was a way of explaining things that we did not understand.The idea somehow stuck on and thus we have religion. Our comprehension of the universe is as much as that of a grain of sand in the apotheosis of a desert

The concept of good and evil is a human one and is merely indicates a state of the mind at a given time. The very nature of evil is to be self serving. I do not believe in absolutes but if such an entity exists then it must border more on being evil than good.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Leonardo01]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
why is it that intellegent design proponents think that the intellegent designer has to be their god? it all comes down to that "spliced" chromosone dosen't it? the fact that we have an odd number of chromosones speaks volumes.I'm offended by the term "junk dna". many secular "intellegent design" proponents think we have been "capped" from achieving our true potential,and that true potiential may lie inside what you term "junk"

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i much prefer the term "secular intellegent design proponent" to the term "ufo nut". i think as this thread expands you will see many more s.i.d.p.'s

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by Extant Taxon

Maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster is out there

I'm pretty sure that's the point of the FSM.

Yes. I'm aware. Twas an attempt at a touch of levity and referencing that particular meme, hence my actually mentioning it.

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Some people who argue for God's existence really do stoop to that level of "Well you don't KNOW for certain he isn't out there". The same can be said for the good old FSM, and unicorns, and giant space penguins for that matter.

As for Evolution, its real whether Gods exist or not and most theists understand and accept this. Others it seems, like Randy, cling to unchanging myths written thousands of years ago instead of constantly self-refining scientific work that gets better as we collect more info.

I agree with you for the most part. But the whole point of my posting the David Eagleman vid was to illustrate Possibilianism, which is the attempted methodology of assessing the entire spectrum of reality we can access without getting bogged down in rationalist materialist/metaphysical dialectic confrontation and the regurgitation of ancient belief systems that seem only to amount to a massive discursive closed circuit where nothing of value develops.

Or evolves; then.

Extant takon

You're welcome.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

why is it that intellegent design proponents think that the intellegent designer has to be their god? it all comes down to that "spliced" chromosone dosen't it? the fact that we have an odd number of chromosones speaks volumes.I'm offended by the term "junk dna". many secular "intellegent design" proponents think we have been "capped" from achieving our true potential,and that true potiential may lie inside what you term "junk"

First, so things arn't aloud to drift. PEOPLE who believe in an intelligent
designer, do not believe he is just their God? They believe he is the one
true God. The source/reason for even the word" God ". The source for even all other Gods. Because without him, we wouldn't have any idea of
a God.

If evolution explained creation, why would we evolve to a belief in a God
first? Did that happen only to drive Sciuentists/Evolutionists/Atheists mad
with this never ending quagmire? Today's modern thinkers don't seem to
understand one simple fact. That for me and others, their great 150 year old idea of out with old, in with the new, is just (at least for me) creepy.

An idea that's been around to span the lifetime of two generations tops.
As an accepted belief system. An idea that just happens to exclude any God. An idea that it's timing even has to be considered.

Why do ALL ALL ALL ancient societys have this one idea of God or Gods?
When you scientists tell us their were pockets of earlyman spread about the globe that had no communication between them. Oh but they all evolved with the word God in their mouth, right? Take a good look at what you are asking humanity( that believes ) to do? The very idea is perposterous.
I could go on but I'll save it.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Extant takon
David Eagleman
He certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
How old is this kid? 22 23 maybe?

Not sure how old he is. Wiki doesn't have an age for him. In his early thirties probably I would think.
Here's another video presentation from him on Possibilianism:

www.vimeo.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am done posting in any of randyvs threads that have to do with evolution if he constantly ignores posts that give perfectly good examples of how and why evolution occurs. Randy, once you start creating better, more thought out arguments, I will join in on your threads, but I am done with this one.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Did you catch this Phlynx? It seems you might have missed it. Not any fault of your own if you did. Only the part after Myth applies.

What you say here is really self evident. I mean you won't catch me putting words in peoples mouth like that. Never.

Myth
While I obviously used what you said in my retort. That retort really is directed at no one person. This is a passionate subject that I learn more about every freekon day
I'm simply trying to show, how it ALL can be made to sound completely absurd. Not just God. not just the Bible. Look what I did to your writing.
That's why I ignore posts at random. And answer in the same manner. Cause no one is speaking or agreeing to what this thread is about. So who is really being ignored here?

As for your dodging the use of the word transposons. I transpose lines on to walls in my work everyday, I would have understood you. I like jumpin genes better though.

Just want to make sure as to why, you decide to personally ban me.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Phlynx

Did you catch this Phlynx? It seems you might have missed it. Not any fault of your own if you did. Only the part after Myth applies.

Myth

Just want to make sure as to why, you decide to personally ban me.

Oh, so you're just personally trolling trying to discredit everything?
That seems quite alright then.

You've done nothing but show ignorance in nearly every single one of your threads, consistantly ignoring posts with valid information, and ridiculing information you didn't understand, it's a disgusting way to post on a forum, don't you agree?

[edit on 20-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Oh, so you're just personally trolling trying to discredit everything?

If that's what that quote says to you. Then pull your head out.
Or keep on with your low brow low standard insults and I'll call attention to them even if I do have to troll to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join