It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The infamous Turkey UFO a yacht?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have witnessed this type of mirage in the form of inverted sails on the horizon, while boating on Lake Winnipeg. My issue with this theory is being able to clearly see the curvature of the boats hull in the mirage.

While i dont see how its possible, im open for suggestions.

With a high def video out there that we arent allowed to see, i can only think this is a complete hoax. No mirage needed.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by jimstradamus]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Arbitrageur cant find a video or a photo of an example of a mirage because it doesn't exist....

I already searched all morning for it....

He is wasting his time and energy....

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Excellent find Chadwickus!

This is an extremely plausible explanation and seems very likely to be what we were seeing in that video.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
not a mirage and not a yacht...NEXT

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

Are you expecting an exact replication? That does make it rather difficult. But there are plenty of images available of a superior mirage. If you can't see how this would apply to lights on boats appearing to float in the sky, I guess I can't help.

es.treknature.com...
www.world-mysteries.com...
image24.webshots.com...
www.phys.ufl.edu...
inlinethumb12.webshots.com...
upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimstradamus
I have witnessed this type of mirage in the form of inverted sails on the horizon, while boating on Lake Winnipeg. My issue with this theory is being able to clearly see the curvature of the boats hull in the mirage.

I don't understand your question but I'll try to answer it. First, the mirage image may be inverted, or it may not be inverted, or we might see both inverted and not inverted images at the same time, like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d03e54b29a57.jpg[/atsimg]It's interesting to see how far we can see that image past the horizon, just look at the detail on the mirages on the right hand side that are below the horizon in the original image.

Second, I don't know if the source of the lights is a boat or not, it might be a boat or it might not be a boat, it could be something else. In fact these two images don't even appear to be the same object:

I don't "clearly see the curvature of the boats hull" in either of those images, they are more like the equivalent of seeing a car's headlights at night, you see the headlights but not the rest of the car. So I don't know what the shape of the object is that the lights are attached to, in those images.

If it were a little darker, I wouldn't see much of the boats at all in this image, just the lights.

www.coeurdalene.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f40bb82e29db.jpg[/atsimg]

So I don't know why people say "invisible boat", it's not a great mystery that light sources can travel further than the non-luminous objects the lights are attached to, allowing us to see one but not the other. And if the lights are reflected off an inversion layer, we can see them from even much greater distances, even when the object emitting the light is beyond the horizon.

I don't see any hull curvature on those boats either by the way, so I don't understand your hull curvature comment.

With a high def video out there that we arent allowed to see, i can only think this is a complete hoax. No mirage needed.

With Maussan getting involved, who can argue with that? It's entirely possible that it's just a hoax.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

reply to post by Arbitrageur

Wow!!!
You guys were right...
It does create a mirror effect...

But the object in the video is not symmetrical,
You cant even see the original object at all

[edit on 19-7-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I never heard of this incident before this thread, so I watched the original footage and was really confused at first. But, now that I've watched it a few times I know that there is at least more than one film. One is definitely taken on shore and shows some white lights off in the horizon during what looks like a hazy evening. The other footage, which was what confused me at first, definitely looks like it could be the illuminated bow of a boat taken from the bridge--I could totally see that. I can't say for sure what it is, but even from the beginning it didn't strike me as an intriguing piece of anomalous footage. Blurry? CHECK. Shaky? CHECK. Blah.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
All the blather about a mirage is just that, speculation. Speculation is not evidence. I suggest both Phage and Arby learn some basic evidential rules for they seem too eager to attribute this to a mirage.

So show that a mirage was possible for that day in that region by gathering precise weather data. What was the humidity? Was a temperature inversion recorded? If not, there would be no evidence for the physical conditions necessary.

Furthermore, Phage argues here in this thread that it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to find a similar picture from elsewhere showing this supposedly textbook mirage example. Yet he wants us to believe that this same mirage can appear multiple times in turkey over large periods in time.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jclmavg

Where is the evidence that these are extraterrestrial spacecraft?
The point is presenting possibilities. The video bears a very strong resemblance to the mirages I've seen over water. I showed examples. The only thing missing was the lights of boats. No, the examples don't match the video exactly. But if they did, wouldn't it be possible to just claim that they were images of UFOs and not mirages at all?

Humidity doesn't have much to do with temperature inversions but weather data does show that at the time of the video Istanbul was experiencing warm days and cool nights. A typical situation for the formation of an inversion.

An inversion often develops near the ground on clear, cool nights when wind is light. The ground radiates and cools much faster than the overlying air. Air in contact with the ground becomes cold while the temperature a few hundred feet above changes very little. Thus, temperature increases with height.

www.aviationweather.ws...
Add the cool seawater and there is a greater likelihood of inversion.

Another description of a superior mirage:

This is illustrated in the above diagram. Because of this bending, we see the object floating in the sky, above or even attached to the original object. In cases of strong looming, the image may appear very high in the sky. Looming of a distant ship may be the source of the many legends of flying ghost ships seen by mariners over the centuries. And since the actual ship may be below the geometric horizon, sailors or shoreline viewers might never see it except as a mirage image.

www.islandnet.com...

Oh, one more thing. The region seems to have an air pollution problem due to temperature inversions.

Owing to the rapidly growing and inefficient usage of fuel, air pollution has increased in Istanbul. The levels are affected by the weak dispersion conditions in the city. The strength of the inversion can be explained by the temperature difference between the top and bottom boundaries and their height. In this study, nighttime surface inversion heights have been found to range between 84 m and 419 m. The mean height of the inversions was found to be less than 300 m in winter months. This behaviour indicates a poor ventilation and high pollution potential in the city.

www.inderscience.com...

A possibility. A pretty damned good one.

[edit on 7/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

I don't understand your question but I'll try to answer it. First, the mirage image may be inverted, or it may not be inverted, or we might see both inverted and not inverted images at the same time, like this:

I don't think he isn't asking whether or not it is inverted. I think he is asking more of a practical question like, "why is the hull outlined in lights?" hence, "boat hull"

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jclmavg

Humidity doesn't have much to do with temperature inversions but weather data does show that at the time of the video Istanbul was experiencing warm days and cool nights. A typical situation for the formation of an inversion.
[edit on 7/19/2010 by Phage]

This is false.

"The superior mirage forms when cold air lies beneath relatively warmer air, a conditions known to meteorologists as a temperature inversion. In this condition, light rays refract, or bend, toward the colder (and denser) air -- that is, downward."

This was taken from a site I'm sure you're familiar with seeing it is was taken from the third link from a google search:
superior mirage

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Yes, I've quoted that site several times now.

What's false? That humidity doesn't have much to do with the occurrence of an inversion? Your quote doesn't indicate otherwise.

That warm days and cool nights are likely indication of an inversion?

An inversion often develops near the ground on clear, cool nights when wind is light. The ground radiates and cools much faster than the overlying air. Air in contact with the ground becomes cold while the temperature a few hundred feet above changes very little. Thus, temperature increases with height.

www.aviationweather.ws...

The air that is warmed during the day rises and stays warm while the air under it cools. Inversion.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I could swear this conversation has been done verbatim last year

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by free_spirit
[I've clipped the quote, because of free-spirit's use of a strange posting method that screws up all the line lengths..

But suffice to say it was highly critical of the OP...]

"free spirit", can you explain to me a few things:

1. Have you applied the same scrutiny to the Tubitak 'report', and this whole incident? I will be doing so a little later, but I'd love to see your comments FIRST.

2. What is YOUR opinion? Even after your tirades here, I have not a clue what you think
. What do you find particularly compelling, if anything about this imagery?

3. Are there any conflicts of interest that we should know about? I particularly liked your comments about naming names, by the way........

And, on an unrelated note... has anyone here seen Santiago (Ytturia) Garza, the guy pictured in the Jaime Maussan image posted by MMN? I believe he posts here sometimes. I'm sure his comments would be interesting, as a close associate of/collaborator with Maussan.....

I *will* be posting my (worthless!) opinion of the whole scenario, the yacht theory, and of course that translated Tubitak 'report' that is being bandied around.. a little later. I've got a LOT to say, including a couple of issues that seem overlooked but very important.. but I'll try to keep it brief...

Stay tuned, hopefully be back within 24 hours...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
i dont even see any comparison , sorry its a real ufo, epic fail

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by KilIuminati

Than you for that well thought out, concise post.

I will now change my entire opinion based on your post.

THAT'S how good it is.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

Ziggyproductions05.....

I think he is just a gullible TV host that really doesnt know the UFO subject.

Unfortunately, Maussan knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

Maussan isn't "gullible".....he's willful.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
yeah this is totally a yacht's wake

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Why can't it be both? UFO or Yacht?
17 pages of Chad's "research" it's still a UFO!!!

Unidentified Flying (Or floating) object

nothing to see here........

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join