It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think TV is given a bad rap, there are plenty of documentaries and the like which i love, David Attenboroughs' stuff alone is worth having a tv!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

It's not given a bad enough rap. I watch Attenborough's documentaries as well - on DVD/Blu-Ray. I own it on DVD, but I'm betting Planet Earth looks great on Blu-Ray.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I never quit TV on purpose but just noticed that I havent turned on a TV-set in more than 10 years.

Lol - this is exactly the same as my experience. I just never got around to watching it - because its just crap.

Nothing in the news or newspapers or here at ATS is of any consequence or importance because information itself is not the nectar of life, energy is

Well, I dont really agree here - I think information is in fact what the universe is composed of - but hey, cant agree exactly on everything

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfLookout

I think TV is given a bad rap, there are plenty of documentaries and the like which i love, David Attenboroughs' stuff alone is worth having a tv!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

It's not given a bad enough rap. I watch Attenborough's documentaries as well - on DVD/Blu-Ray. I own it on DVD, but I'm betting Planet Earth looks great on Blu-Ray.

It depends what you watch, there is plenty of mind numbing rubbish and some mind stimulating stuff. Actually in that way it's just like the internet.

That's an important point. People here are criticising TV while using a medium (the internet) that is just as full of puerile nonsense and yet don't see the irony of criticising one over the other. It's all down to what you watch and if you feel better after throwing out your TV it suggests you were watching the rubbish to begin with.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

People here are criticising TV while using a medium (the internet) that is just as full of puerile nonsense and yet don't see the irony of criticising one over the other.

I do realize this point.
I am the first to take full responsibility for the choices I make as regards TV. I am NOT a responsible TV watcher, but I am a very responsible Internet user, however. I don't know what the difference is for me, but it's easy for me to be very picky about what I do on the Internet.

I do criticize TV, I guess because it's supposedly geared toward entertaining and informing us by professionals. And I have a certain expectation with that in mind. (I know... the expectation is unrealistic, because the professionals have an agenda to dumb us down and it's working.) Anyone can post on the Internet and I realize that those who are willingly being dumbed down are the authors of much of the Internet material.

I criticize the Internet, too, but I can easily pick and choose. And it's free! My husband has to have it for his job, so it's being paid for. It also provides a way to keep in touch with my family and friends.
So, while the Internet has its faults, it's MUCH more appropriate and useful in my life that TV.

Simply, I don't need TV and my TV habits are not contributing to the peace and serenity that I want in my life. So, it's outta here!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
I don't really see the reason for people to announce that they don't watch TV anymore. No offense to the OP, this is just a thread that pops up every few months. It's just like saying, I don't eat meat, or I don't drive a car.

My actual purpose of this thread was to check with others on ATS to see if there were any negative repercussions in their lives, not so much to make an announcement.
It's of no consequence to anyone on ATS whether or not I watch TV. I'm just a little bit concerned that I'm going to miss it like crazy and wanted to see if anyone else felt that way or had any regrets. But it's been 7 days since I have watched any broadcast and I seem to be fine.

I admire people who watch it responsibly, but while I'm certainly able to watch only important or meaningful programming, I do not. I watch crap and sometimes stuff I've seen before just to "pass the time". It's a very unhealthy thing to do, in my opinion. It's like keeping a pack of cigarettes in the living room. I have proven to myself that I don't have what it takes to smoke only one cigarette a day, so I quit them completely. Same with TV.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Styki
I don't really see the reason for people to announce that they don't watch TV anymore. No offense to the OP, this is just a thread that pops up every few months. It's just like saying, I don't eat meat, or I don't drive a car.

My actual purpose of this thread was to check with others on ATS to see if there were any negative repercussions in their lives, not so much to make an announcement.
It's of no consequence to anyone on ATS whether or not I watch TV. I'm just a little bit concerned that I'm going to miss it like crazy and wanted to see if anyone else felt that way or had any regrets. But it's been 7 days since I have watched any broadcast and I seem to be fine.

I admire people who watch it responsibly, but while I'm certainly able to watch only important or meaningful programming, I do not. I watch crap and sometimes stuff I've seen before just to "pass the time". It's a very unhealthy thing to do, in my opinion. It's like keeping a pack of cigarettes in the living room. I have proven to myself that I don't have what it takes to smoke only one cigarette a day, so I quit them completely. Same with TV.

But dont you like cigarettes and TV? You may aswell throw anything over 100 calories out of your kitchen, get rid of your car, stop drinking, and instead of hanging out with friends join a church or community center and practice constant healthy community living.

That may all sound dandy, but i think i would go crazy. All these little things are what makes modern life so sweet.

If they (who are they anyway? probably learned of them swimming through ATS propaganda garbage instead of watching some wholesome tv) wanted to expose you to their agenda so badly, they will do it with or without TV.

You cant avoid something with entertainment (and other) value because your afraid you might see a commercial for toothepaste. or, you can, but......... why?

[edit on 15-7-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
But dont you like cigarettes and TV?

Yes, but my use of them isn't healthy in my life. It's that simple.

Look, I'm not arguing that everyone who watches TV has a problem or that everyone SHOULD stop watching TV or that only idiots watch TV. Stop reading so much into my thread.
It's just a statement and some questions. No need to take it personally, as I see some doing.

You may aswell throw anything over 100 calories out of your kitchen, get rid of your car, stop drinking, and instead of hanging out with friends join a church or community center and practice constant healthy community living.

I have no problem having a healthy enjoyment of some of the finer things in life, but I don't consider TV and cigarettes among those things. It's just a personal preference, not meant to be a blanket practice for everyone.

You cant avoid something with entertainment (and other) value because your afraid you might see a commercial for toothepaste. or, you can, but......... why?

I'm not doing this out of fear or to avoid toothpaste commercials. I did it to enhance my experience of living in the present, as the OP states.

[edit on 7/15/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

no need to take my post personally either. I also posited only some statements and questions. mainly, why avoid something you like simply for the sake of avoiding it. I doubt you will be any better off, considering you have posted every 10 minutes into this thread.

Thats like quitting cigarettes, then smoking 10x more weed instead, and claiming to be better off then people who dont smoke at all. Your obsorbing way more garbage, and opening discourses with people who are just as diluded with garbage as you, being on ATS.

I have to say again, i would quit ATS long before TV. And i know your going to say that your a responsible internet user... and at the same time ill say im 7'3" in the pants and own the playboy mansion. "responsible use" of ats is redundant, because this site hold a radical inherent bias whose dangers far exceed that of television.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So I'm curious:

Have you quit TV? (All broadcast TV)
We watch NO TV what so ever, not for the last 5 years

Why did you do it?
Figured out it was for propaganda only, decided to get information on my own.

Have you found it to be a positive or negative change and why?
Frankly don't give a sh*t about lots of things that I use to.

What have you noticed in your life since you quit?
Happier, I watch movies sometimes on my lap top but don't even have a tv at all.

Peace

Dan

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I doubt you will be any better off, considering you have posted every 10 minutes into this thread.

I am already better off. And I haven't even read all of this thread, much less answered all the posts I want to. This is my thread. I plan on posting in here a lot more - that is if people don't try to take it off topic.

Having a discussion with people is MUCH different than staring at a box of flashing lights and colors, IME.

Thats like quitting cigarettes, then smoking 10x more weed instead, and claiming to be better off then people who dont smoke at all.

As I stated earlier, my Internet time has dramatically decreased as well, so your analogy is incorrect.

Your obsorbing way more garbage, and opening discourses with people who are just as diluded with garbage as you, being on ATS.

Well, you have a point there.

Seriously though, I am not absorbing the garbage on ATS because I am not reading it. It's as simple as that.

I have to say again, i would quit ATS long before TV.

I don't know why you have to say it again. It was understood the first time. Your experience of ATS is clearly different than mine.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by svisioner
Frankly don't give a sh*t about lots of things that I use to.

This is interesting. I have noticed myself saying that a lot lately. I don't care. I used to care so much what was happening. I felt like my knowing about it made a difference somehow. Like it was important for me to know... It's really not important, though, that I know everything that's happening. It's so freeing.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hmm...quit TV...nope, I dont want to...
I have my "must see" TV, which is approximately 3 hours a week, I watch also 20 minutes of news in the morning just to see whats making the headlines, and the daily show at night for a laugh at whats making the headlines (puts things in perspective).

Now, most of my relatives think I am all but a luddy in regards to television considering I barely if ever am watching it compared to them... but I am fairly comfortable with the amount of time I am spending on it...I watch programs, I dont let programs program me or chain me to it.

I have gone without television in my spurts in life...nothing a vcr (now dvd) didn't fix for my once in a great while movie nights...but I found little difference in what I did...either I would be watching television, looking blankly at a screen of flickering images, or be on a computer...looking blankly at a screen of flickering images, or reading a book, looking at a bit of wood with ink scratches on it.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I felt like my knowing about it made a difference somehow. Like it was important for me to know... It's really not important, though, that I know everything that's happening. It's so freeing.

Ignorance is bliss is not a trivial sentiment, its a very true statement...

however, many/most on ATS at least come here not because they want to feel happy and unaware, but because even if they cant change things, they still want to know for if anything, intellectual curiousity.

the motto on this site here is Deny Ignorance...one could also say there should be an sub-title saying "embrace anger" as that tends to be the natural companion of awareness in some cases. I really have no problem whatsoever with people not wanting information...I see my quest for what is real to be a personal one not meant for most people overall. Personal choice, what do you want in your life...intellectual happiness, or intellectual truth...because the two seem to go in opposite directions.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I use it for some downloaded movies and TV shows only. I find my own information about what interests me on the Internet.

Been like this since 2007 for me. Everybody should try it. Not watching TV is like a completely different and better life.

Its almost like when I went from Windows to Linux and got that feeling of being in control again. Never went back.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
good lord this thread is pompous. "I only watch documentaries"

I watch TV. all the time. I suspect some of you who claim not to still do too. I know enough people on ATS watch enough to make a new thread every time Jesse Ventura turns up on TV.

And are there NO sports fans on ATS? No fans of South Park, Family Guy, HBO/Showtime series'?

and I know a whole bunch of you guys watch Through The Wormhole.

Sure, but I download the TV series I like.

No commercials and no risk of seeing any propaganda or any annoying person. Not counting the propaganda included in the TV series of course (Navy NCIS and such are basically trailers for the American military).

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm 19 and I quite watching TV 2 years ago. Now I'm a sophmore in college on my way to get my AA degree in General Education then go to UCF for my bachler's. I'm not manipulated or feel pressured to do anything I concider immoral such as drinking, smoking, drugs, stealing, and cursing. I also love having time for my pets, the garden, and my family. I have no secrets hidden from my friends and family.

My younger brother is 17. He watches TV and goes on the computer 9 hours out of the day, 4 hours during school days. He gets into fights every week, curses like a sailor, has done drugs, goes to clubs, uses women because it makes him look cool, and gets defencive and easily angry when I accidently keep his bedroom door open. It's not unusual for him to resort to physical violence.

Lady GaGa, reality shows, sex, drugs, violence, wars...

Media influence can make a big difference on our younger generations.

[edit on 7/15/10 by ohsnaptruth]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
Media influence can make a big difference on our younger generations.

Im very glad to hear there are at least some teenagers like you realizing this. I look around and most of the kids I see today are *very* programmed by the TV and magazines. They seem to have no identify of their own. They just copy whatever is cool at the moment. And yes, I guess I was the same.

When I grew up, there was a lot of video violence, and it did affect me a bit. I started training martial arts because of it. But eventually I grew tired of getting hurt all the time so I stopped doing it.

My point is.... yes, whats on the TV affects teenagers in particular. A lot. So really, really glad to hear you are not buying into it. Its not good for anyone to watch the propaganda that is on TV these days. It doesnt make people feel good about themselves.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i have been off t.v. for over two years now. first i found out you could watch anything on the internet then i found out i could read faster and get more infromation then watching shows so now except for a few moviees a comedy show here and there and a documentry here and there i dont watch tv or tv shows. just kindda boring

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have not quit tv. But I did quit Satellite service and have never looked back. The only channels I receive are over the air with the antenna on my roof. I do not watch much TV and the bill associated with Dish was a waste of money. The funny thing is HD is better with an over the air antenna than it was with a dish.

I don't think TV is a bad thing, but just like anything else too much of it is not necessarily good.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by utahjay
I don't think TV is a bad thing, but just like anything else too much of it is not necessarily good.

Depends on what you watch, but of course people get affected by TV. Constant pictures and messages going into your brain will form the way you think.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join