It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
You're honestly going to judge someone as 'lesser' for watching TV?

I agree with you. People choose how to spend their time and it's really not my concern. I watched TV for entertainment mostly, including American Idol and several other "reality" series. I LOVED it!
It was nothing more in my life than passing time, having a laugh or getting my drama fix. I don't have a problem or negative judgments about people who watch TV and I'm a little annoyed at people who do.
Every time someone mentions American Idol as the epitome of stupidity for TV shows, I'm like, "Hey! I love that show"!

To each his or her own.

I won't exclude any source for news and I actually think that those who get all their news from the web could perhaps have a bit of a tendency to get that news from the same few sources that align with their values/biases/politics and leave them with a narrower view of the world.

Again, I agree. I actually get my news from thread titles and links on ATS and then look up more information about the stories, from various origins if possible. TV News is worthless, in my opinion, because not only do they have an agenda, they report the superficial stuff and I suspect the networks aren't permitted to report the stuff that we SHOULD know. So, what good is it? Entertainment.

So, that's the ONLY positive thing I got from TV. Entertainment. Passing time. It just feels a little 'off' to me to sit in front of this box for a couple hours and absorb whatever they decide to pour into me. TO ME. I don't care about other people's habits. I have some pretty weird habits myself.

Sure, the occasional Nat Geo special or something on the History Channel was actually educational, but is it worth $60 bucks a month to get maybe 2-3 hours of programming when I could read and learn about it elsewhere for free? That's some expensive education!

So, no. I don't put people down for watching TV, even if they DO watch American Idol.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I never said you did but there are plenty of comments throughout this thread to that effect.

That's why I said it wasn't in direct response to you but that you had mentioned celebrity news and sports. There's really no need to be so defensive.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos
Don't know if it's related to your feelings, but Sedona is noted for being a place of "vortexs" which have someind of effect on us humans.

Yes, I am aware of Sedona's location and mystical properties. That's why my sister lives there. The energy is right for them. They live uptown, not really too close to a vortex, but the whole town is pretty energy-rich, which I can definitely feel. I am certain that my visit there prompted me to "quit TV" among other changes I'm making here at home.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Interesting that you feel that Sedona had such an impact. I have been there too, and although I am not a full on New Ager, I definitely felt Sedona. I dont know the scientific explanation for the vortexes, but I could certainly feel them. And being in the area does do something to you.

Way cool that you mentioned this.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I have been there many times before, and never felt compelled to make changes in my life, but this visit was different, even down to the way it came about and the urgency my sister and I both felt about getting together after about 8 years. There seems to be some "weird" things happening in the non-physical realms at this time in my life. Possibly related to other mystical stuff going on this weekend?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have turned on the TV a couple times and couldn't stand more than about 15 minutes of it. I guess it's time to call the company and have it turned off.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Of course most of us have quit TV because of Internet. Id like to hear from those who have quit both but dont think they will be logging on anytime soon.

Well, the internet is totally different from the MSM and TV. The MSM presents basically one point of view, the net has all kinds of view points. Also the net is a source of raw data - whereas the TV will always present data only after it has been biased, massaged and properly propagandized.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'm not planning on quitting it, but then again, I avoid the news and political channels like the plauge and really only ever have Sci-Fi, History Channel, Chiller, BBC on demand (for Dr. WHo), Chiller, Cartoon Network, and Comedy Central ever on.

If I want news and actually cared as much about politics, I have internet for that. otherwise I want TV for entertainment, or background noise while I work

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What is more unhealthy, Television or computer screens? I would like an actual answer to this please.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Like with anything else, it depends upon what the content is. ATS is, of course, very healthy...please read and watch all you can.

There's all sorts of good stuff on TV, sometimes it is just hard to find, that's all... Same with the interwebs...

So to answer your question... No difference, really.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Like with anything else, it depends upon what the content is. ATS is, of course, very healthy...please read and watch all you can.

There's all sorts of good stuff on TV, sometimes it is just hard to find, that's all... Same with the interwebs...

So to answer your question... No difference, really.
Thanks for the input, i appreciate it. Im asking because I believe what comes out of a tv screen can somehow screw our brains up in the long run, i dont know how or what, but nonetheless im being sincere.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It may be doing just that...I really don't know. I find I don't miss it, for the most part. Though I am missing the Tour d'France, and the coverage on the internet sucketh big time...but overall? Not all that much. So, if the PTB want us addicted to it, they're going about it all wrong. If I were addicted, I'd be a bit more angst ridden about not having it...

Of course, when I was a kid, I didn't spend a whole lot of time watching TV...I was out doin' stuff, having adventures...like saving the world...discovering lost cities...all that kinda cool stuff. What I wasn't doing, was being entranced by the "box", like all too many kids are today. Maybe that's my immunity?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

It may be doing just that...I really don't know. I find I don't miss it, for the most part. Though I am missing the Tour d'France, and the coverage on the internet sucketh big time...but overall? Not all that much. So, if the PTB want us addicted to it, they're going about it all wrong. If I were addicted, I'd be a bit more angst ridden about not having it...

Of course, when I was a kid, I didn't spend a whole lot of time watching TV...I was out doin' stuff, having adventures...like saving the world...discovering lost cities...all that kinda cool stuff. What I wasn't doing, was being entranced by the "box", like all too many kids are today. Maybe that's my immunity?
Possibly, Maybe this is why there is such a signifcant difference in todays youth than the youth say 20 or 30 years ago, Less tv and more outdoor activities. I doubt tv told everyone how to live and dress and act back then like it does today. I see some of the things some people watch and it makes me sick. I dont know how they cant put up with it. I blame television for parents letting their little girls dress like whores and such. It just utterly saddens me.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have quited TV 7 years ago and never looked back.
Big thumbs up for this thread.

Have you ever heard of the book

"Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television"

It is slightly outdated on some parts but most of it still stands.

One strong point i remember from the book is that TV communicates death much easier than life.
Destruction can be understood in a second, life is hard to broadcast even in a show that takes hours.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
Possibly, Maybe this is why there is such a signifcant difference in todays youth than the youth say 20 or 30 years ago, Less tv and more outdoor activities. I doubt tv told everyone how to live and dress and act back then like it does today. I see some of the things some people watch and it makes me sick. I dont know how they cant put up with it. I blame television for parents letting their little girls dress like whores and such. It just utterly saddens me.

The TV, or what's on it, isn't to blame. It's the parents/viewers. Them, and them alone... After all, Hollywood doesn't dress the kids, or buy the clothes, or any of the other trappings of TVland... The parents do. Place the blame squarely where it belongs... Parental involvement, or lack of same. TV is only a tool. IMHO.

As much influence as TV has, parents still have much, much more...should they choose to exercise it. That'll never change.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45

The TV, or what's on it, isn't to blame. It's the parents/viewers. Them, and them alone... After all, Hollywood doesn't dress the kids, or buy the clothes, or any of the other trappings of TVland... The parents do. Place the blame squarely where it belongs... Parental involvement, or lack of same. TV is only a tool. IMHO.

As much influence as TV has, parents still have much, much more...should they choose to exercise it. That'll never change.
True, But tv has some influence no doubt, making parents think its ok to have their 10 year old in a miniskirt, its common sense, but who am I, Just a disgruntled citizen...lol.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
skipped to the end without reading ... sue me (too much tv = short attention span).

i once went two or three years without cable because i chose to not be able to pay for it (i could have, but made myself believe i couldn't so i could justify even more dubious expenses). and it worked out terrific. didn't miss it except for breaking, radical news.

the internet was around then, but nowadays, it's almost preferable to monitor breaking news on the internet versus tv, especially on sites like ats which can be more detailed and faster, though there's risk, as well.

i've had tv since, but i don't watch it as much as most people. i do watch it more than i should or would, though, because it's there. i refuse to eat in front of the tv and i refuse to channel surf. but i do watch some things that i wouldn't choose to watch had i not been sitting there in front of the tv.

however, i love good stories and good shows and though i agree with the consensus that most of what's available on (especially network) tv is crap, this is also one of the most golden ages in television in terms of quality shows ... if you hunt them down and find them. (i won't list many because it's a matter of opinion, somewhat, but battlestar galactica, lost, gavin & stacey, united states of tara, sopranos, rome, and many others are, in my opinion, hallmark series that will be remembered in perpetuity).

but fortunately, technology allows us a conduit to these shows without those incredibly ridiculous cable/satellite bills. i watched the majority of both lost and battlestar galactica downloaded from the internet. i probably would prefer the quality and size on my large tv (and i can do that, but i don't because it's too much trouble), but once i'm watching the show, i don't think about it and it's certainly not bad or anything. (my 32" tv used to be huge to me until i had access to a 50-some inch flat screen ... you always like bigger better once you'd been exposed).

plus there's something about getting into a show, then being able to watch the whole thing in a couple of weeks ... or even a weekend if it's nutty good and you have the time.

so: good to get rid of. miss breaking news and some msnbc personalities, but the freed time is much more valuable reading, learning, conversing or engaging in those things people used to do ... hobbies). get the specific shows you actually want to watch from internet/netflix/those red stalls/dvds.

and most of all, ixnay on the commercials. i despise commercials. i celebrate paying for tv shows without commercials.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
i quit tv years ago, maybe 20 years ago - nothing new on uk tv and saved on the tv licence (we pay to watch tv here, even freeview - for our 5 basic channels its £145.50 a year)

when my daughter was born, i nearly bought a tv and a licence, but then i thought why ?

now my ideas and reasons have changed,
i believe people watch tv because they have lost something, the art of talking for hours about nothing important, playing games, going out exploring, etc

now my daughter is 7 and cannot understand why her friends want to stay in and watch the box instead of playing out,
she is highly fit and active, excells at her school, can read and write better than me, very inquisitive, becomes arguementative and agitated at weekends if we stay in,
does dance, minor acting lessons, swims, various clubs, is a keen and able bmxer - and not because she is forced,

i now believe tv is the 'easy way out' - i enjoy life not watch it through a box

just my thoughts on this

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
What I also find interesting is that if I watch movies, I am usually sickened by the social programming (mental conditioning) content in them. But they have far, far less generally than regular TV.

People are taking in a far stronger and more direct message from their TV shows all the time - it is like poison. To people who are aware of it - you just want to vomit watching normal TV filled with 'this is how you should act and think' programming.

People are not aware of it, but they regurgitate those values and behaviors without thinking. When you challenge them - they defend them vigorously; values not their own - but given to them by TV.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaamaan
One strong point i remember from the book is that TV communicates death much easier than life.
Destruction can be understood in a second, life is hard to broadcast even in a show that takes hours.

VERY interesting point! Makes me wonder what else TV communicates that changes our society for the worse...

The TV, or what's on it, isn't to blame. It's the parents/viewers.

I agree completely! If everyone stopped watching these stupid and brain-numbing shows, the networks would stop broadcasting them. But we are conditioned BY the shows to continue to watch them.

Originally posted by solvectra
i believe people watch tv because they have lost something, the art of talking for hours about nothing important, playing games, going out exploring, etc

What great points you made in your post! Sounds like your daughter is a very lucky girl!

My husband and I have been talking more and working around the house a LOT for the past few days. We're already seeing so many positive changes in our lives and even in our relationship that I wouldn't go back to TV now if someone paid me to! We're laughing more getting more activity... Pretty amazing!

Originally posted by Amagnon
People are taking in a far stronger and more direct message from their TV shows all the time - it is like poison. To people who are aware of it - you just want to vomit watching normal TV filled with 'this is how you should act and think' programming.

People are not aware of it, but they regurgitate those values and behaviors without thinking. When you challenge them - they defend them vigorously; values not their own - but given to them by TV.

I'm afraid I must agree with this. I know it's like I found Jesus or something, but since we decided to quit, I'm seeing just how "addicted" and manipulated I was by the TV shows I was watching. I felt agitated, impatient and sometimes just grouchy for no reason. Yes, some were the worthless drama "reality" shows everyone says they hate, but I watched them to pass time and they MUST be popular because they are broadcast time and time again to pick up every last viewer. It's a bit scary to me to think of the number of people who are watching these shows and soaking in the programming.

I do believe it's possible to have TV service and only choose good educational and healthy entertainment by watching maybe 3 hours a week, but I know myself well enough to know that I am not one of the people who is comfortable doing that. The "housewives" would be calling to me, begging me to watch their petty, superficial lives as they go through their meaningless motions...

GREAT discussion everyone! I'm grateful for your input!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I had laid off teevee for quite a while since about 2002, but I recently got laid off and have picked it up again.

I despise the newz, but I enjoy shows like , UNIT , NCIS, MONTALBANO for a distraction to reality...but I still spend more time online.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join