It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I stick to Adult Swim....shows like Metalocalypse, Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!, King of the Hill etc etc make me ridiculously happy.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

You have horrible taste in television but I dig the picture/name thing you have going on there

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well, I just wanted to report back... it's been 12 days since I "quit TV" and I must say, it has made an amazing change in our lives for the positive.

We talk more.
We laugh more.
We love more.
I get a LOT more done around the house.

I am calmer/mellower.
The house is cleaner.
I spend more time with the dogs.
I'm re-reading Ishmael and it has taken on a whole new meaning.
I have much less fear, agitation, anger, frustration... stress.
I'm even on the computer less.

I really find it amazing how many positive changes have happened, just by turning off that switch.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hey, nice thread!

I quit watching tv about 3 months ago although we still had the tv in the bedroom, it was not switched on. Last week we physically removed it from the house and guess what? There is now more positive energy flowing more freely throughout th house. your tv is a dark spot. It turns any positive energy into negative. try it and i guarantee you will see what i mean.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Nope, I use my TV for console gaming, and interesting channels like Animal Planet HD, ...

I personally don't watch the news or anything, I prefer internet for my daily dosage of news.
My parents watch TV a lot though, well, parent, as they divorced recently.

I don't see the point in not watching TV when there's so many interesting channels like National Geographic HD, Animal Planet HD, ...
That's about the only thing I watch on tv though, besides the occasional movie.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let's see, it was June, 2008 when everything went digital, right? Well, that is when I quit. I have not looked back. I read more now, and read alot off the Net. Also, I have given up the cell-phone, too! Why? I hate the concept that I am tracked wherever I go with that thing. I have even considered getting rid of the Internet, but it and my home-phone with unlimited call package are the only things which keep me connected with my kids, grandkids, and with alternative news, because the radio is all government-controlled and MSM Garbage, and gives you warmed over lies!

So, I will keep my Internet. I soon will buy an older car, one with no computer junk on it, and especially no GPS Capability, and again, hate the thought of being tracked.

I hate this "Big Brother Society," so am fighting it tooth and nail at every turn. I pay all bills with either cash or money-order, and, I have no credit-cards. I am loving it!

~ MidnightPoet

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
All I see on TV now are sports and some specific shows that I like, the rest...
Well, its not like you can watch TV here in spain from 9am till 8-9pm due to the stupid wannabe famous shows(if you can call them that...), so unless you have something specific. Dont even have a TV for 5 or 6 years, I have a DTV usb stick plugged to the laptop, it does the trick and is cheaper than a TV...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I used to be a HUGE couch potato, like seriously 6-8 hours of TV a day. Then about 5 years ago to save money on bills I stoped paying for cable. Anything I need from TV I can get from the internet. I literaly broke free from TV's hypnosis and found my self being much happier and feeling better in general. Sometimes I catch some TV at a friends house and I am shocked with how much it has changed in the last few years. Its the subtilities between the shows and how ads are now presented in commercials and in the shows them selves, its convoluted and complicated but there is a big difference in TV from 4-5 years ago to now.

Another thing I have noticed is my falling out of main stream media. I never heard of Lady Gaga until last month and I still have never heard a song of hers, I stick to underground stuff. Movies come and go that I never hear about. Shows get canceled and premier that I never hear about. Any media I am exposed to is because I seek it out my self. It is not impressed upon me. I never realized before that I only knew and persued what I was told to persue not because I was actually interested in it.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by TheKnave]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
When the tv is on i cut the sound...so it dosent get to me coz i "listen" tv rather than "watching" it. I am an auditive person but not a visual one.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Good for you.

Television is to the mind as cigarettes are to the lung.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Oops, accidental double post again. Sorry!

[edit on 22-7-2010 by BookScout]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
"Have you quit TV?"

Benevolant how are you?

I stopped watching Transvestites about 20 years ago, just a short experienmenting stage of a week or two I went through.... Didnt realise it was soo popular by size of thread...

In reality I cant remember a time I actually thought about something that was on, or planned about watching it, this month so far and its the 23rd, maybe 30 mins of early morning News at most in total. Did watch 20 mins of a comedy show "Have I got News for you" british Satirical (if never seen right up all ats streets you will be in stitches) in a friends when popped in for coffee and was on.....

One documentary but on the PC....... Thats it usual usage a docu once a month, some news when something important happening to be live... thats it for at least 10-15 years.

I find it soo passive and realise my experience of being hypnogogic when watching, so no thanks, Radio.music or reading much less orwellian, healthy and awake imho.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
When my girlfriend and I moved into our apartment together, one of the first things we agreed on was that we would have no television in this place. We want entertainment? We have Netflix and a PS3. News? The internet has many more sources then cable and you are forced to read it yourself, allowing you to make your own judgements instead of having them spoon fed to you.

For us it was not so much a philosophical stand(though that was part of it), but more of a practical reason. We were both people who, when the TV was on, had a hard time getting things done. It was easy to just sit there and veg instead of going out or doing house work. I have a feeling others have given up television for similar reasons.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

It's good to see you, Elf. I am very well, thanks.

As I mentioned, I was an irresponsible TV watcher and fully cop to that. I don't blame TV. Although it is inane 99% of the time, IMO, TV is what it is. It's bright, shiny, fun, hypnotizing, sparkly, manicured and presented in our homes in such a professional manner in a package with a bow on top, and it's hard not to get caught up in it. For me, anyway.

reply to post by RoboKy

Part of my reason was actually because I did what you did. I zombied out in front of the TV a little too much for my comfort and didn't get a lot done that should be done. The house is a lot cleaner now!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
TV is valuable if you watch it the right way, if you quickly flip through the channels you can sense the general template for behavior they are trying to program viewers into acting on.

It is intercepted intelligence in this war, use it wisely.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
but you're not going to abandon some sg-1 every now and then ... right?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

With every season on DVD, I don't think I'll have to worry about that.
It's just broadcast TV that's gone. Let's not go crazy, here. SG1 and Atlantis are still totally available at my whim.
(and Star Trek NG, for that matter)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nice thread, some very insightful ways that those of you that have given up lead your lives now, it sounds much less cluttered

I am thinking about quitting TV but enjoy watching movies and documentary's (and the occasional news hours too) too much to fully quit. I often wonder how life would be without it when there is a something on that you 'can not miss' on a beautiful day, the choice between watching whatever or going to enjoy the day, 99% of the time it always ends up being the TV.

Luckily I live in the UK and TV on demand for free is quickly growing online, often you can watch a program online the minute it finishes on the TV! Why even have a TV really!

Saying that though I just bought a new TV so I almost feel obliged to get the use out of it before quitting!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DiGi-Dan

We just recently bought a new TV too!
Our first flat screen. So, it's a good thing we only gave up broadcast TV or we'd be really bummed!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I "quit" around 5-6 years ago (not that I really had a dependency on it like some) And since then, the TV hasn't even been connected to free-to-air broadcasting. I cannot stand watching any more than 30 seconds of the ignorance box...

ITS CALLED TV PROGRAMMING FOR A REASON...THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join