Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
TV is basically a picture show of frequencies and targeted imagery, designed to gradually condition our consciousness. It is far more dangerous than most people realise, especially when you consider its effects on the spiritual being, and thus the effects on the afterlife.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
TV =

Quit TV over 6 yrs ago and my family and I actually lived to tell the tale.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I can't get to the last page of this thread... I can see the first page, but when I click on another page, it just refreshes page 1. Posting to see if that makes a difference...

Sorry, just site problems.
edit on 4/6/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I put this in the philosophy forum because what prompted me to get rid of television service is a philosophical matter and I thought a discussion of it might be interesting and educational. Mods, feel free to move it if I'm mistaken.

I have just returned from a short (4-day) visit with my sister and her husband in Sedona. They "quit TV" in like 2001 and have never looked back. They didn't know whether the health bill had passed or not, much less know any details about it. I can assure you they don't know who Joe Barton or Eric Holder are. They get the news they need from the internet and are very aware of what's really happening in the Gulf because they're following it closely. Not the political side of it, but the ecological side.

I had a "moment" driving home from my trip to Sedona yesterday about living in he present and I realized how much watching TV actually hampers that. You might know a trip to Sedona would help align and balance me enough to see things more clearly. I'm very grateful for this. I'm surprised I didn't return with a pouch of crystals and a book on chakra alignment.

When I got home, my husband and I talked and decided to give up the satellite service (among making other changes in our lives). He's been wanting to do it for some time, but I was hesitant... Now, I am beginning to see how it affects my life and how tied up I am in the boob tube and the crap that is spewed forth from it on a regular basis. Talk about attachments! I am totally attached and after my trip, I feel like letting go of as many attachments as I possibly can. The TV service is going to be the first victim.

So I'm curious:

Have you quit TV? (All broadcast TV)

Why did you do it?

Have you found it to be a positive or negative change and why?

What have you noticed in your life since you quit?

I have one, but it is not turned on by me, the husband can't do without the speed channel, I would rather set for hours and talk to yall.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is my first post on ATS (always been a lurker) and I think this is the perfect place for it. I did not decide to "quit" tv by choice. I have had cable television for as long as I can remember until about 5 months ago.

I was a full time college student living with a roommate and we had no money to pay our comcast bill. One day they show up, take the box and cut our service off. Little did I know that was best thing that could have happened to me.

The best way I can describe it is... once I turned off the tv, I turned on my brain. I began to do A LOT more reading and research on important topics myself, not just having them told to me. I think that in itself shows how distracting and mind numbing the tv can be. I dont think I will ever have cable television again and I think the more that people stop tuning in, the more freedom of thought they will receive.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The only time I turn on the TV is if it looks tornado-y outside. That isn't to say I don't enjoy me some House every now and then on the intertubes (also South Park) but it's been several months since the idiot box has even been turned on, and that was to watch a DVD. I haven't watched a show on the actual television since the Saints won the Superbowl.

My non-watching of TV happened a few years ago, mid-2008 I think, when a tree limb broke during a storm and smashed the antenna on the roof. The only station I got after that was PBS. I like PBS, but it gets boring when it's the only station available, and after a month I just quit turning the TV on. Bought an indoor antenna so I could watch the Saints win, but I'd gone so long without it by then that the commercials just...ugh. It was like getting hit in the head with a hammer. And that was that.

My life is better without TV. I find myself a lot less jumpy and ADD-ish.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I almost quit tv, used to watch alot more..

Nowadaysjust watch south park, that show has some great moments and few of my friends watch .

Also watch the daily soap show

Why the sad face:
Because i beat myself up for watchng it, actualy it is a stupid brainless show.
But the characters And drama are very addicting..

So ATS, tell me to stop wasting the daily 30 minutes on the soep opera on television...

Or are there any benfits or just pure wasting of time?
edit on 6-4-2011 by ShawHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

Back in the days of floppy disk and high-density diskette, if you knew someone that knew someone that knew somebody that knew a friend of his friend its uncle etc, there was never a problem to get games, even quite new ones.
Than the cd came, without even asking you could get a few filled up with games etc.

If, or when they kill file sharing the consequence will be an unstoppable trading of data storage devices filled up with only high quality stuff, the crappy ones will be gone really fast.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The only time i use T.V is to catch up on world news, or, to watch documentaries on science, religion, spiritual matters. Basically the type of stuff thats covered on ATS.

The rest of the bull# like soaps etc just kill your brain and turn you into one of the many zombie sheeple.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I got rid of my cable this year. I still have my TV so I can play video games and watch movies on netflix every once in a while.
I get all my news and sports on the internet.

I got rid of my cable because firstly, it would help save money, and secondly, I found that as the years went on, I was watching less and less because the programming was getting retarded.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

TV is not all that bad, I love TNT old movies, plus all the other stuff like national geographic and there are a lot of sports that can be seen. Of course I think the MSM is crap. Depends what you looking on tv.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
I got rid of my cable this year. I still have my TV so I can play video games and watch movies on netflix every once in a while.
I get all my news and sports on the internet.

I got rid of my cable because firstly, it would help save money, and secondly, I found that as the years went on, I was watching less and less because the programming was getting retarded.

This is very true, there used to be quality and actualy funny/intresting sitcoms..

Now a days the majority is cheap and simple humor, is tv trying to make the new genaration retarded?
Also things like mtv and tmf, where has the "real" music gone..

edit on 7-4-2011 by ShawHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I don't know if I could quit.
When I am in school I defiantly cut down my tv watching.
With DVR I can now watch only the shows I want and skip all the commercials so I seem to watch less.

Since I have spent 8 months so far stuck at home recovering from a crash I have watched more tv though.
I don't want to, but sometimes I just don't want to read, and for the first 5ish months I couldn't get to a computer.

One day when the tv I have dies I might not get a new one.

There was a husband and wife in my elementary/HS both teachers they had no tv.
The husband would rent a TV every year for the super bowl, world series, and nba finals, but that is all he would watch.
They said it was the best decision they ever made.
Another teacher in college said the same thing, everyone I know who has done this loves the decision.

I just don't know if I can do that right now, since for the most part I am on bed/couch rest.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well when I moved in with my sister about a month ago, she didnt have cable because she was never home. So I went about a month without TV. I can tell you, I was pretty bored when I was at home, but I work alot so it didnt make a huge difference. I guess the TV is just there when you absolutely have nothing to do.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Have you quit TV? (All broadcast TV)

Turned off cable tv, so I don't pay for viewing programs.

Why did you do it?
Expense, commercials( I couldn't watch a 30 min program with out at least 10-14 mins of commercials)

Have you found it to be a positive or negative change and why?

Its been very positive. Most of the programs that are show are just filled with drama and its drama I don't need to listen to even if it is no mine.

What have you noticed in your life since you quit?

Less stress and I really don't feel like I've missed anything at all. OH and more money in my pocket!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I still love watching the mainstream news. Especially politics and the election debates. It is comedy. I laugh my ass off at all the comedy which is intended for the masses and to be taken seriously by the masses. I turn the damn thing off as soon as the celebrities and sports figures take over the news reports.
edit on 9-11-2011 by truthbet0ld because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Just use it for watching motoGP, formula 1 and the occasional docu, never news or any other garbage that goes on there.

No TV since 2000.

new topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join