It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

actually yes i have from time to time. but in my defense it seems most tv has quit us first.

why should we pay so much to buy tv, by the cable services, and get mostly nothing but commercials wanting to sell us even more?

not to mention the news which tells us mostly reasons to hate ourselves, brought to us by whatever drugs are being pushed for whatever new disease they have recently "discovered".

yes, i have from time to time at least once a year turn the tube off for at least a month or so and focus more on reading or doing stuff.

seems to me we can't believe all that is being shown to us on tv, as a valid tool for information. too much monopolizing ratings, owning networks, social engineering, and near irrelevent banter...

less entertaining, and less informative sometimes.

but this is my opinion.

thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by EnkiCarbone

It's about moderation eh?
I had a friend who was addicted to coc aine, not snorting it but boosting. I talked to him once about quitting and he told me it was all about moderation, and that some people could do it and yet some weak willed people couldn't because they had addictive personalities. It wasn't poisonous if you knew where to draw the line... nobody was forcing him to do it. You're condescention sounds familiar in that context honestly.

It doesn't matter what programs you watch, somebody is injecting your mind with a foriegn substance, somebody is providing you with your preconceptions and ideas, forming your opinions for you. No big deal in moderation, but 9 billion hours a week is a pretty GD serious habbit no matter how you slice it. Thirty years ago folks objected to Barbara Eden showing her navel on television, now you have guys drinking horse semen on there to 'entertain' a young target audience and you don't think there's a problem? Neither did my friend.
Could you cut it off for a couple weeks? Yeah probably, but you don't want to right?
If you did, could you do it without cheating and watching 'just a couple shows'?
Try it, you'd be amazed at the difference. I've been TV free for a couple years and I swear by it, like some fog had lifted. A moment of clarity even, and hell yes I would compare it to sobriety.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Wow, now that you mention it, I haven't really used the TV much for almost 9 years now. At first, it was more because I didn't have cable anymore and really didn't care for local programming. Then the internet started getting faster and having more content and by the time I had access to cable TV again after a few years, I really have only watched a few sports events. I used to watch the history channel and stuff like that, but now you can find most of that stuff online.

Overall, there's so few things that air on TV that's even good that I don't even bother watching anymore, if there was something really interesting that everyone's talking about, I'll watch the 3 minute clip on youtube instead.

As for news and information, it seems like it's been nothing but 99% BS for so long now and for news on real issues, the indy media including this site are destroying the top dogs in terms of credibility.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The last TV show was President W. Bush talking in March 2003 about going to Iraq to find weapons of mass destruction or something like that. Then I moved and the location I’m in doesn’t get TV, cell phone, or radio signal because of the stuff in the mountain I’m behind. I didn’t give up TV, but I can’t even listen to the radio without static, so why bother? I went to a friend’s house and watched a few minutes of a football game, but became nauseous and had to run out to puke. He laughed and said that it was probably because the TV signal was stretched onto his new wide-screen and that disoriented me. I know I’m missing something.

My ears became more sensitive and I had to avoid loud people who could not control their self-expression. I did become a TV show producer for my local public station and produced over 150 TV shows as director, technical director and host, but never got to see them broadcast over the air waves or cable because of reception problems. I produced open microphone TV shows for the local musicians and interesting talk show type interviews featuring people with interesting views.

My internet connection is so slow that videos on ATS and Youtube are choppy and require awhile to download so that I can replay them. I read the local paper and Wall Street Journal for news. I have watched many DVDs on my computer, but I donated my TV to charity long ago. People talk about classic commercials, great programming and all of the people I don’t know anything about, but I am clueless. I like going to the movies, and my current favorites are that new Star Trek, District 9 and 3D Avatar. Most of my CDs were ripped off so I am in complete silence most of the time when I’m home.

There are other channels you can tune into when you stop watching TV. What I did notice was that I become more sensitive to the spiritual realm. My dreams became more real. My visions were lucid. I could be awake and walk into other dimensions and experience other times and worlds. People would videotape me talking to saints and angels that they could not see or hear. I dictated a book in my sleep called “Lightbody Activation and Psychic Surgery” without knowing anything about that subject to start with:
www.amazon.com...

Teachers would just appear in front of me and a cloud would appear and then I was learning a lesson in ancient Egypt or India. My unicorn friend told me that we all will see into the other dimensions more clearly soon, even without 3D glasses. As my eyes became adjusted to the natural world I began to see angels, Mother Mary, Jesus, unicorns, ETs. See my Paracelsus posts:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And even the message of the Egyptian Atun-Re:
www.cdbaby.com...

When the Archangel Gabriel visited me and gave me a hug I could see him and feel his actual body. He looks much like his pictures, but has fiery red hair and crisp white wings.

I see that Calelenium has some similar views as I have. I liked Dr. Who as well.
I guess I must become a sheeple to become conscious of what is happening so I can follow the false flags and eyewitness accounts of reality. I really want to see the Discovery Channel and History and all the rest that I have never seen but can’t. I don’t know what is really happening because I haven’t seen it on TV. I can’t choose the channels because I have none. I don’t have the money to pay for satellite TV. I would like to hear higher volume if I could even if it were just commercials. I would like to enjoy entertainment, news and sports. What is this idol stuff all about? What kind of TV should I buy if I get the money? Are documentaries better for you or is news the best stuff? How can I learn to stare at it like a zombie?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The last TV show was President W. Bush talking in March 2003 about going to Iraq to find weapons of mass destruction or something like that. Then I moved and the location I’m in doesn’t get TV, cell phone, or radio signal because of the stuff in the mountain I’m behind. I didn’t give up TV, but I can’t even listen to the radio without static, so why bother? I went to a friend’s house and watched a few minutes of a football game, but became nauseous and had to run out to puke. He laughed and said that it was probably because the TV signal was stretched onto his new wide-screen and that disoriented me. I know I’m missing something.

My ears became more sensitive and I had to avoid loud people who could not control their self-expression. I did become a TV show producer for my local public station and produced over 150 TV shows as director, technical director and host, but never got to see them broadcast over the air waves or cable because of reception problems. I produced open microphone TV shows for the local musicians and interesting talk show type interviews featuring people with interesting views.

My internet connection is so slow that videos on ATS and Youtube are choppy and require awhile to download so that I can replay them. I read the local paper and Wall Street Journal for news. I have watched many DVDs on my computer, but I donated my TV to charity long ago. People talk about classic commercials, great programming and all of the people I don’t know anything about, but I am clueless. I like going to the movies, and my current favorites are that new Star Trek, District 9 and 3D Avatar. Most of my CDs were ripped off so I am in complete silence most of the time when I’m home.

There are other channels you can tune into when you stop watching TV. What I did notice was that I become more sensitive to the spiritual realm. My dreams became more real. My visions were lucid. I could be awake and walk into other dimensions and experience other times and worlds. People would videotape me talking to saints and angels that they could not see or hear. I dictated a book in my sleep called “Lightbody Activation and Psychic Surgery” without knowing anything about that subject to start with:
www.amazon.com...

Teachers would just appear in front of me and a cloud would appear and then I was learning a lesson in ancient Egypt or India. My unicorn friend told me that we all will see into the other dimensions more clearly soon, even without 3D glasses. As my eyes became adjusted to the natural world I began to see angels, Mother Mary, Jesus, unicorns, ETs. See my Paracelsus posts:

And even the message of the Egyptian Atun-Re:
www.cdbaby.com...

When the Archangel Gabriel visited me and gave me a hug I could see him and feel his actual body. He looks much like his pictures, but has fiery red hair and crisp white wings.

I see that Calelenium has some similar views as I have. I liked Dr. Who as well.
I guess I must become a sheeple to become conscious of what is happening so I can follow the false flags and eyewitness accounts of reality. I really want to see the Discovery Channel and History and all the rest that I have never seen but can’t. I don’t know what is really happening because I haven’t seen it on TV. I can’t choose the channels because I have none. I don’t have the money to pay for satellite TV. I would like to hear higher volume if I could even if it were just commercials. I would like to enjoy entertainment, news and sports. What is this idol stuff all about? What kind of TV should I buy if I get the money? Are documentaries better for you or is news the best stuff? How can I learn to stare at it like a zombie?

[edit on 15-7-2010 by paracelsus]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
How can I learn not to speak to people who watch TV because I might disturb them? What are they looking at? Are they successful? Are they happy? I don’t know what TV people do. Do they change metabolically? Do they get tumors and viruses that force the damage that people suffer from? Can I get to be like them by watching TV?

Is there some protein change by watching TV? Is DNA changed? Do TV watchers get Parkinson’s Disease faster than non-watchers? Are movies harmful for the mind or body? Will TV change me forever? Will I ever be able to read a novel or book again after TV? Are commercials harmful to the digestion or other organs? Have people been tested for 24/7 insanity after watching TV? What is the effect of being a watcher?
Is it necessary to commit oneself to TV in order to watch without being a fringe watcher? What does the lack of TV do to people? Is there a remedy or recourse to TV? Have children ever been weaned from TV? Are people who watch TV genetically modified? Are your friends in danger of being enemies if they watch TV?
What is the answer to TV? Can I be a better person by watching TV or am I being condemned to being harmed by TV? What is the effect of TV entertainment? How is the viewer to prevent being LOST from being a viewer of TV? Can I be in the matrix and not watch TV? Do I need to take Bovine Growth Hormone to watch TV? Can I unplug the TV without getting unplugged? What is the effect of not watching Network? Am I in a state of denial or a denial of a state? What is being televised and what is real? Can I live without TV or can TV live without me? What is worse? Can I veg out in front of a computer and not get brain mushed? Does the public have a mind or is the mind of the public a myth? What is on TV now? Do you have a TV guide or does the guides have you on now? Where can I get a remote or does the remote get me? Is reality TV a reality or is TV the reality? What is important because the TV can’t tell me. My reception is bad. Please send me access. What is the phone number? Can I get connected? My satellite it out of sight. My brain is drained. My cable is disabled. I have no connection and need the feed. What can I do in the late hours of the night when there is nothing to do except to sleep? How can I spend an hour doing something that no one tells me to do. Please stick the wires in my brain so I can get connected. What is the internet? Can I ever get in touch with anyone? Can I ever become a stuffed human being? Is mainstream media like a steam or a torrent of it? Is information the answer or the problem? Should I be paranoid or happy? What is Discovery and Unsolved History? What is online? What is this all about? Is there still an 80s? What happened to MTV? Do people watch soaps or bath with them? Is Sesame Street for the seeds? Are people still working 6 or 8 days a week? How many hours are in 24 hours? How long do I have to watch this? Can I be a Survivor without watching an episode? Will video games destroy my mentality? Have I become addicted to nothing whatever? Can I spend all of my dollars on something before time runs out? Can I become part of the anti-TV crowd without having a TV? Are my opinions patented? Can I smoke my TV for free? Is TV a liberating experience or do I need to be enslaved by it? Is TV a habit or an addiction? Where do I get mine? Is radio worse than TV or better? Can I use the internet without getting hooked? Am I passed the point of knowing what is good for me? Are the masses going to take over? What are we incapable of? Am I the center of a deadly convergence? Do I need a programmer to make me compute? What is right or wrong? Is it provable or improvable? What is better than religion or antitheism? Are people out of touch or is touch out of people? What is the looming catastrophe besides the lack of yarn?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Quit TV at least 5 years ago, lost track. Everything in life is better. More time, family time, more everything.

Now, sorry to admit, I think people around me who watch TV are absolute brain dead idiots. Well, probably because they are lol! Whatever, I guess some people don't really have a clue or know what to do with themselves, so they decide to live through others in TV land. To that I say, to each his own and whatever makes you happy.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by paracelsus
My unicorn friend told me that we all will see into the other dimensions more clearly soon, even without 3D glasses

I just had to quote that.

Actually there is one aspect of television that presents a real and largely unknown risk. There are two primary contributors to the calcification of your Pineal Gland, ingestion of flouride and prolonged exposure to electromagnetic fields. Something to think about the next time you see a mouthwash commercial on that big plasma screen.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Yea...I quit the Tv thing about, oh, 8 years ago. Because simply there is nothing interesting on. It's better for me allllll around. I don't sit down anymore in front of it for more than 2 minutes and I'd be right back up again, doing something else more productive.
To be fair, it has lost me about 15 lbs because of this. NO SITTING DOWN FOR AN HOUR OR TWO STRAIGHT FOR ME ANYMORE!
Also, has led to many interesting thoughts when my brain isn't being bombarded by "Brad Pitts' next lunch choice" or "guess who's not pregnant!" or, here's the kicker for all you ATS fans "BP oil spill attempting to be fixed, now on to the weather..." or "14 dead in Afghanistan, but how's Angelina's hair today Anchorman Ted?!"
Seriously.....not worth it anymore. Occasionally and I do mean OCCASIONALLY, like once every few years I'll get into something then when its over I'd drop the remote again.
Example was the new Battlestar Galactica, watched that show religiously for its 4 seasons, then put down the remote indefinitely. It was a good story, yes, but not enough to warrant watching anything else before or after its programming schedule.
Any news I want? ATS! Of course!
Any show I want to really really watch? Internet, maybe......
Information has become my entertainment and Internet my news source.
The TV or rather cable TV is becoming the grandfather to the internet.
It'll fail, but still be there, kinda like radio, circa 1940 compared to now.
Good Thread! I like this kind of reminder to all that sometimes putting something down is a good thing. Thumbs up!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I quit TV 10 years ago.

First did because I was cheap. But now I've got a 55" Vizio 1080P HD and a PS3 and Netflix, but I still do not pay for cable because I hate TV programming.

If I want I can get public TV over the air, but I never watch.

I get all my info off the internet. Podcasts, ATS, various news aggregators, etc.

I'm ALWAYS more informed than TV humans.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I had to quit TV about 5 years ago as well, when I noticed that it was kind of getting scary how some people just sit there watching.

I replaced it with gaming because at least then I am thinking. However, I am finding it hard to relate to people these days.

Also, I have been using the internet a lot but I noticed that it has had the effect of making me an instant now now person, unable to do critical thinking and long-term thinking as easily. I think I'm noticing the same thing in my friends.

I'm also noticing in my friends a tendency to be less altruistic. You would think I am imagining this, but I'm not. It even comes into play during Dungeons and Dragons or other gaming sessions, can you believe it? The players spend as much time sabatodging each other as they do trying to progress the plot. In fact, they usually aren't even capable of taking the initiative to progress the plot. It is kind of freaky.

It reminds me of the new Predator movie. I seriously hope our society never ends up like that.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
Now, sorry to admit, I think people around me who watch TV are absolute brain dead idiots.

When I visit my friends in another city and stay at their house, they watch the stupidest shows. They are SO SUCKED INTO IT, it's actually sad. I don't want to offend them, but you are right - they are totally brain dead.

They don't know ANYTHING that's going on in the world. I feel me and my TV friends are growing apart, going in different directions in life.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Well, personally, I sometimes work over 60 hours a week not including what work I do for my personal home-run business.

Very rarely do I ever watch TV and enjoy it anyway. In that sense, I have quit TV.

Whenever I watch Fringe I usually watch the newer episodes on hulu. If I watch Ghost Hunters I watch it on DVD. Other than that, very rarely do i watch regular cable program.

I like some TV programming but most of it is garbage. The reality shows today just reinforce to me how stupid and disgusting people are this day and age.

I haven't "quit" TV yet but I imagine it's liberating in a way. I would just miss watching my DVD's of the few TV shows I do enjoy (Destination Truth, Ghost Hunters, Fringe, etc..) plus my scifi movies.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
i cant stand being in front of the tv since i started reading about "conspiracy theories". i started reading right before i turned 17, i turn 20 in 3 months. last thing i watched was the world cup, i only watch soccer. its not impossible or hard to do, but it will dramatically change your life, it did to mine :]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I think TV, though an enormous waste of time, can be an excellent educational tool.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
My partner and I quit TV over 4 years ago. Since we stopped staring at a screen in the evenings we began to talk and for me personally it was if a switch was turned on in my brain and I could think clearly and see things for how they are.

We are both convinced that TV is a mind control apparatus used to dumb down the nation, I realise this may sound a little strong, but you should see what I am like when I go to my friends houses and they are watching TV. I turn in to a zombie when the adverts come on the screen and they all laugh at me

Turning off the TV and binning the aerial was the best ever decision we made and we have never looked back. I urge everyone to do the same.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by paracelsus

You are rambling....
... it seems you like to hear yourself talk....

the best reply to you is from Jackie Chan"I like to let people talk who like to talk to see how full of $#!t they are!"...

I stopped being brainwashed on September 11, 2001 when I watched as three skyscrapers were "brought down" on live tv. I have read the other posts and can see some of the tactics used to decieve you filtering through in some of the responses.I stay off the grid as I sit on my stolen Ipod at a free wifi spot posting on a site I haven't been on in months while staying mobile in my city.
I can honestly say I have gotten more intelligent without it than with it! a constant frequency to the head can do unseen damage to growth over time.I am a music producer so I know how sounds affect and effect the brain!

There were many who stated that they had "QUIT" but, watch it a couple of hours or once a week..... THATS NOT QUITTING! others went on to say that there are only certain things they watch or they can "filter" what they need to out(which is ignorant to state) and still say they quit.

Then there was a couple of people who stood out and had mentioned "god"-that's right lower case-
which is another form of control designed to program you into conformity.which shows you have already undergone phase one of you not ever reaching your potential as an idependent entity. you are a slave to misinformation and the tv has helped fuel it's " Ignorance is Bliss" campain, with slogans like "in god we trust"!

There were some who still "watch" tv but you can definately see them on the defense and some who justified it with disability,but there is a problem with the fact that you are still viewing it. It was there to keep you sustained! not enlightened!

And last but not least we had some people say that it was the entertainment value for them that kept them glued to it.ARE YOU NOT A PRODUCTIVE HUMAN BEING? entertaining you like you are waiting for something...or is it just pacifying you till your promised eternity with an imaginary man living in the sky in a white robe with everyone else who has ever lived and had been good while on earth,(now I'm rambling)

Which brings me to the question as to whether or not those individuals(more seeming to be the masses) are willing to be the sheeple we see daily.I'm fine with knowing that I'm going to be the only person who isn't "tuned" to a certain channel or frequency.

IMO:On the topic of tv and tv content;there are things you were not told and things you were told. the trick is to find out what the truth is, not take someones word for it, because that's how to become knowledgable in anything!
get active now, for when the power goes out you won't know what to do with yourself, then you might end up having to go through the torment of reading a science book to study electricity to turn your tube back on for more "entertainment"!

sheeple are funny! I hope they stay here on earth with the bush family wondering what happened
when the rest of us leave the planet....

[edit on 15-7-2010 by thatJESTERjustin]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've always disliked TV, and never watched it. My family used to enjoy it though.

I always hated it when I was home alone in serenity, and my wife would come home, say hi, turn the TV on, and walk out the room. And if you ever turned it off, even if others were outside, it was like they were suddenly awoken from a trance, and demanded to know why I switched it off.

I was wary once they went to digital TV about how it may affect us, but fortunately, the reception here is not the best. Analogue TV was not too bad reception wise, but the digital cuts in and out and became extremely annoying, to the point that nobody in the house bothers to turn it on anymore.

Thank God for small miracles.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I think TV is given a bad rap, there are plenty of documentaries and the like which i love, David Attenboroughs' stuff alone is worth having a tv! Even some of the fiction is pretty good and i love comedy shows, mostly topical quiz stuff. Take something like Doctor Who, a bit of fun entertainment and yet if you look a little closer it makes some interesting points about living peacefully and embracing differences.

However things like this are really the minority of TV, most of it is inane dribble. Big brother, pop idol, next top model, dancing on ice.......................people entertained by that stuff just worry me.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Funny you mention it, I commented on this very topic a little while back (pre-ATS membership, even though I've been lurking for years..) :

We don’t have cable. I love people’s reactions the first time I tell them that. You’d be surprised how many times that particular tidbit of personal info comes up in regular, everyday conversation with someone. Although, your surprise would probably be over how much the average individual’s everyday life revolves around television. Mind you, I’m not all that keen on advertising the fact we don't have cable because the first thing that comes to anyone’s mind is “WTH? Seriously?....” Then the look of confused horror on their face becomes eclipsed by the raw curiosity of “WHY???” I always assume the confused horror look is due to the fact that I’m probably the only person they’ve ever heard say that, which makes them immediately suspicious of my character. I usually reassure them that no, we’re not the Jim Jones Kool-Aid family and yes, we can afford it. The fact is, we don’t have cable simply because we don’t want it.
Of course, when I say “we,” we mean “I.” Which is another funny thing, because one of the first things people ask is, “What does your husband say about that?” Much like any other red-blooded Southern American male,... kdcthatsme.blogspot.com...

So I guess the jig is up now and my anonymity is shot by linking this post to something where I can now be an identified-bonafide conspiracist. Oh well, "SURPRISE" A.T.S., I'm a chick not a dude.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join