It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Particle has been found!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
People talk about mass etc but very few here ever mention electroweak symmetry breaking which is lots more straightforward conceptually.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Snippet from London today reported a post, titled Rumours about a light Higgs, by Tommaso Dorigo, a physicist at the University of Padua as saying: "It reached my ear, from two different, possibly independent sources, that an experiment at the Tevatron is about to release some evidence of a light Higgs boson signal.

God particle sounds like a coin in a wine glass said scientists.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
One of the most interesting little things we humans are doin at the moment. I ask the question... What is the end result from this big expensive toy. Its some amazing science !! but do we get a new type microwave oven out of it ? Or are "they" trying to work out DARK MATTER is and what effect will it have when we pass thru the celestial plane Mmm

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Just to put things in perspective, LHC total budget is about 9 billion dollars. This will be spent during many years, possibly decades.

US defense budget is about 1.1 TRILLION dollars, just for the year 2011.

LHC is cheap.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
Its some amazing science !! but do we get a new type microwave oven out of it ?

In physics, it's hard to know in advance. Often, you do get something useful. After all, radioactivity is used in useful everyday devices like smoke alarms. Proton beams are used to fight cancer. Positron emission tomography is also used in medicine. Neutron logging is applied when prospecting for oil.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
All.I have to say is:

Oh
My
God

This discovery if true is a world changer... I am excited!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Thanks for the video BRL, it certainly makes it clear in a very simplistic format. This makes me think of a documentary I saw once about the "string theory", where they talk to Hawkins and friends about their theories regarding the subject and the possibility of its existence.

I will be keeping a eye out for any further info regarding this very fascinating subject.

Rabaski

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
So.... is this the same rumour that was floated around in 2007 or is this a fresh one?

However, an unsettling rumor is spreading in the realm of physics. The mysterious particle may have already been found!

Rumor has it that the physicists working at the Tevatron (an accelerator smaller than the LHC, located near Chicago) have found something. The Tevatron accelerator has delivered incredible findings in the past, including the discovery of the top quark. The Tevatron is scheduled to shut down in 2009. Unsubstantiated claims have come and gone before. It’s entirely possible that eager scientists are jumping the gun on claims of finding the particle.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

The article is dated June 07, 2007

I didn't think real scientists participated in rumours. This is either the same old story rehashed or once again they are jumping the gun.

I guessing the higgs will be as elusive as dark matter and for the same reasons.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Also the tevatron has been under threat of closing down, I think there funding was about to run out this year.

So I get the strong feeling that this is attention seeking in an effort to prolong the inevitable.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by squiz

I hope you are wrong but it is still a possibility. The fact that BellaMente's source has denied the rumour is quite ominous! Always better to have the truth though thanks Bella.

But it's thought the Tevatron, an ageing, bulking particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, may have got there first.

www.news.com.au...

It is still possible, I suspect we are on the verge of discovery at least. If the Tevatron has not made the discovery I reckon the CERN is hot on its heels. All sources at this point are still relating to the same blog unfortunately. If true I'm sure it will blasted across every news source particularly in the US.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Such news, if true, will truly be an embarrassment to those industrial interests that funneled (and continue to funnel) billions upon billions of tax-payer funds into the CERN project. They insisted that no other facility could achieve such a goal.

Oh the ironic counter-intuitive lesson that teaches... throwing massive amounts of revenue at a problem doesn't necessarily guarantee success.

On the other hand, as was quite succinctly stated above, it is a rumor.

Time will tell.

Well said, and I completely agree.

People are too focused on money and thinking it can solve anything.

"FIND THE GOD DAMN GOD PARTICLE! *throws $20Billion dollars at scientists at CERN*

"I will I will I just need more moneyzzzzzz!!!!"

Honestly... is that how it goes? I don't doubt it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
If they have found the particle then it's not an embarrassment to CERN at all. The data will need to be confirmd and CERN is able to produce higher energy collisions that will do just that. CERN may also discover things other than the higgs, to think that CERNS sole reason for existence is to find the Higgs is ignorant at best.

One of the things i'm really exicted about is the idea that the weak nuclear force, the strong nuclear force and electromagnetism are different components of a single force. This idea is known as grand unification theory. Of course the LHC will look into dark matter, other dimensions and a host of other stuff.

So no, it's not a massive embarrassment and the project is not a waste of money.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

money does really help though , smart minds and really hard work are also the key elements to science.

public opinion is the only real thing keeping back particle physics , because everyone is scared of what they dont understand.

Anyways the discovery of said higgs boson would no doubt bring many great things for humans , the understanding of the universe for one or at least a greater idea of the workings of our universe.

with regards to CERN being sabotaged , well that was FERMI lab from the future , scientists like to play jokes too !

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Not to crap but uh.

What makes the Higgs Boson the "God Particle" and not anything else? Secondly...

If one form of the rumour is to be believed - and Prof Dorigo is extremely circumspect about it - then it is a "three-sigma" signature, meaning that there is a statistical likelihood of 99.7 per cent that it is correct.

That .7 leaves a massive potential for being wrong since there are literally so many possibilities of what it actually could be.

The article doesn't even state how long they were able to observe it. Remember most particles that come into existence with say the LHC are only in existence for milliseconds. This isn't much time to record observations as to how the particle reacts. So they can't definitely say if it is Higgs.

At this moment, they stumbled across an as yet unseen particle, which fits the "profile" of a Higgs but until they can recreate and observe the particle enough to fully understand it. They're simply guessing.

And seeing as the Higgs Boson has very unique properties, the chances of observing in for a long enough duration to understand it are slim.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
If they have found the particle then it's not an embarrassment to CERN at all. The data will need to be confirmd and CERN is able to produce higher energy collisions that will do just that. CERN may also discover things other than the higgs, to think that CERNS sole reason for existence is to find the Higgs is ignorant at best.

One of the things i'm really exicted about is the idea that the weak nuclear force, the strong nuclear force and electromagnetism are different components of a single force. This idea is known as grand unification theory. Of course the LHC will look into dark matter, other dimensions and a host of other stuff.

So no, it's not a massive embarrassment and the project is not a waste of money.

Did you see the latest episode of Morgan Freeman's Discovery show? The surfer who believes he solved unification theory with a simple formula. It looked utterly brilliant.

It's people like that which change our world. Not multi billion dollar equipment ran by intellectual elitists. But people who can easily comprehend the abstract.

(Dr. Garrett Lisi)

[edit on 13-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Wow!!! Crazy news if true it's still somewhat of speculation that the LHC's main rival has made the Earth shattering Discovery

Tommaso Dorigo, a physicist at the University of Padua, has said in his blog that there has been talk coming out of the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, that the Higgs has been discovered.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jul 12 2010 by Jbird]

i heard shortly before the LHC was finished that if they didnt find it soon that the fermi would...

[edit on 13-7-2010 by alienesque]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown
Did you see the latest episode of Morgan Freeman's Discovery show? The surfer who believes he solved unification theory with a simple formula. It looked utterly brilliant.

It's people like that which change our world. Not multi billion dollar equipment ran by intellectual elitists. But people who can easily comprehend the abstract.
(Dr. Garrett Lisi)

I agree, the true pioneers and geniuses of this world are the ones who are not shackled down by the limitations of elitists factions and cults that inhabit academic bodies.

I enjoyed this comment on the OPs link:

A joke within a joke. Physics, stuck in it's newtonian world, struggling to reconcile that with quantum mechanics, a pseudo science whose greatest "discoveries" could have been written on a singly papyrus by anyone with a mere whiff of the motherlode of ancient, axiomatic wisdom that is all around us, if we choose to look.

But we are thick as bricks..... lost to our real nature and so waste billions upon billions of "mind" instigated dollars/euros/yuan/rupees into building machines that'll help us see more than our eyes can see, be more than our physical limitations allow us to be.
Such a faustian bargain we have with this beast that is modern day science.

An out of control, hydra headed testament to modern man's ego.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds......

Sums it up nicely for me.

I love the tech behind stuff like LHC and I do support some of the science driving the project but sometimes it's like we are spending huge amounts of money to focus on a tiny dot when we should be asking the question what relationship the dot has to it's environment.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have to say my heart sinks - not because in principle this isn't an exciting discovery - if it's true - but because if it IS true, that's just more knowledge in the hands of the evil cabal which can be (ab)used and developed to impose more atrocities on the ordinary people of the world.

Those who fund scentific research are usually the billionaire satanists, they then have intellectual ownership, and exploit yet another wonderful discovery to subjugate and abuse the global population.

Sorry - I just can't be happy about this, amazing though it could be in the right hands.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
how much will the machine cost and how large will the machine be that tries to smash this thing to pieces to see whats its made of?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

ichep2010.blogspot.com... Tommaso Dorigo's comments from blog. 8/7/2010

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join