It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Particle has been found!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wow!!! Crazy news if true it's still somewhat of speculation that the LHC's main rival has made the Earth shattering Discovery

Tommaso Dorigo, a physicist at the University of Padua, has said in his blog that there has been talk coming out of the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, that the Higgs has been discovered.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jul 12 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
S+F. I will definitely have to keep an eye on further developments to see if this is actually confirmed. It is certainly an exciting time to be alive.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

While media attention has been focusing on the LHC, the Tevatron has been quietly plugging away in the search for Higgs. In the 27 years since it was first completed (it has been regularly upgraded since then) it has discovered a quark and observed four different baryons. While it has not been able to pinpoint the elusive Higgs, it has narrowed the search, reducing the window of possible masses where it might be found.

Looking for more sources if anybody has any please stick them on!

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jul 12 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That is funny if Fermi lab discovered it.

CERN just wasted a bunch of money.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the rumour is what it is a rumour. There is nothing greater, in the eyes of scientists who has been working at Fermi for so many years, of finding that elusive God particle right at the end of the projects life. MAybe they are trying to convince themselves that it can still be found and this rumour is nothing more than a manifestation of that hope.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

All i can find is New Scientist stating a result is imminent this was from few days ago. This adds more weight to it though. I really hope this is the case completely Earth shattering!

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
ahhahahahhahaha it would be a lot of funny

lets hope they did it!!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Still rumor but here's more:

Source

But though Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory -- home to Tevatron -- hasn't said anything about the findings or the rumors, there is some reason to believe that perhaps the elusive Higgs has indeed shown itself. Fermi has said it is making progress toward the Higgs, giving itself a 50-50 chance of finding it this year and claiming it should have enough data to make a definitive statement on the Higgs' existence by early 2011 regardless.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Such news, if true, will truly be an embarrassment to those industrial interests that funneled (and continue to funnel) billions upon billions of tax-payer funds into the CERN project. They insisted that no other facility could achieve such a goal.

Oh the ironic counter-intuitive lesson that teaches... throwing massive amounts of revenue at a problem doesn't necessarily guarantee success.

On the other hand, as was quite succinctly stated above, it is a rumor.

Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Yeah it's definitely still only a rumour, the only real source so far has been Tommaso Dorigo's blog. But the fact that New Scientist published a piece on Friday stating a discovery might be imminent is interesting in itself.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What is the god particle?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Totally I've had many an argument with my brother, who is a physics graduate, that CERN was a waste of money. I suppose the guys at Fermi might be really generous and share their data?...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What's in it for me? No, seriously! What does the discover of the Higgs Boson signify from a scientific point of view? What does it prove or disprove? Hey, and make it simple, ok? :-)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
what's the big deal with the higgs boson? I mean, what practical applications are there for the knowledge? Does this mean I'm going to be captain of the starship enterprise any sooner?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Pretty good info in this video.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Wow that would be some major news , for allot of people
I guess it would rewrite my beliefs on how the universe operates . Also this would mean the end to a few theories on how the universe operates (which might be a good thing I guess) .

On the matter of the LHC , I don't think that it would make a joke out of it , I mean it does not matter that the rival found it , it could have been the LHC instead , this just shows that sometimes huge amounts of money sinks are justified in the realm of science . Better to spill out billions for science than war

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Straight from wikipedia;

'The existence of the particle is postulated as a means of resolving inconsistencies in current theoretical physics, and attempts are being made to confirm the existence of the particle by experimentation, using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).'

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
okay I've been reading this for an hour I don't ubnderstand any of it

but it's really cool
I going to read more

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Definitely, reducing the number of theories is a good thing, and this will go someway to confirming the mainstream.

I've always said when physicists get to a certain point it all becomes speculation. Until now, each different theory is essentially as viable a solution to the generation of mass in the universe, as my theory that a flying octopus squirts ink jets from one universe into a wormhole which ends up in our universe.

To add the real discovery is much more interesting than any octopus I can imagine!

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Lets just say that if Fox News claimed aliens landed in New Mexico I'd still want to check CNN, just to make sure.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join