It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ATS Members Losing The Ability To think For Themselves ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by consciencious observer
but mistaking one's use of the the ctrl c+v feature for knowledge or science is...well its quite ignorant..

So you double check every single fact you read on ATS to see if it is copied and pasted? I'm guessing not, but i wouldn't call that ignorant.

Either way, the majority of our knowledge these days is gathered from around the net, whether it be filtered down is something for you to prove if that is your claim.

Oh I have wanted to say that since he through some wiki crap in my face relating to haarp.lol
PEACE,
JC

Waiting till now to address an issue like that in the public forum in front of everyone, instead of a u2u to the person concerned and discussing it back when it happened?

Little things like that is a classic example of how online resentment can eat away at you, and result in the now obvious mudslinging at a fellow forum member......now i'd go as far as calling that ignorant.

CX.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

When they don't scream for the help of their GOD like posters

There are posters on here that I vehemently disagree with but have the utmost respect for their wisdom and knowledge.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

Tis the natural way of things. We have a great wide diverse selection of people with interesting thoughts. I's like to consider myself one. I spent much time talking with JKrog08. I would consider myself a follower of his thinking, but also independent.

I'm happy to see we still have a large number of such people. I am saddened by the loss of some of the best people I've ever talked to.

None the less, we must know one thing is for certain, people lead, and others follow. It is the responsibility for the leaders to not become the one who gives fish, but teaches their followers how to fish. It is very important indeed. I try to do this myself, but I don't exactly see myself as having many followers. Just being an independent thinker.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Three pages and no phage?

He is probably just taking his time, but once he gets here he'll straighten everything out.

This thread is about to get pwned.

I guess it would be kind of amusing if you were joking, but the sad thing is that you aren't. I've seen you call out the usual shills to come rescue threads all the time

Which sorry to say makes you the worst of all. You are by definition the epitome of a weak person.

The sad thing is that if we ever see a true collapse of the system, you will be more dangerous than the TPTB.

As Roger Waters once said during a Pink Floyd concert, "Are there any weak people in the audience?"

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I think it is really rude to be name dropping.

It's actually not an insult to that person in this instance. Nobody has said anything negative about that person but used his name as an example, because threads do exist where a member has said something like "wait until so and so, gets here."

The people who only post that as a reply are the ones that most of us have a problem with, when that is all they take the time to type. Posts like that contribute nothing to a thread, and show that the person who wrote it, isn't thinking for themselves.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agree and understand where you are coming from. I have encountered this in a few threads also. The way I see it is that if someone wants to be clingy or idolize another member then let them. It is kinda like society , as a matter of fact it is one. Generally outstanding individuals usually deserve the respect and popularity they receive and vice-versa.

As for name dropping , that is just sad to need someone to voice an opinion and consider it as good as yours before you even hear what that person has to say. Actually it is borderline retarded. Whoever does this needs help!

[edit on 11-7-2010 by IamBoon]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

As for the know it all and their followers that keep fresh thoughts and unproven ideas from being expressed freely in this forum.

Neytiri's mother, Mo'at, in the movie Avatar, said to Jake 'Su-ley'?

You can't fill a cup that is already full.

As for the youtube video embedded by ATS4dummies, also.
If this forum is infiltrated or belongs to others we didn't expect.
I am grateful they have allowed the information that is posted to be posted.
Because I don't need the 'entire' picture in one post to learn something new or to unravel a mystery.

I just need a piece of the information and I can make my own deductions.
The same for everyone else here. The knowledge my be controlled, or diluted, but our minds have the knowledge of the universe locked inside.
Our incarnation requires certain clues that unlocks that hidden knowledge. Whether those clues are a word, or someones profile name, or the time a post was made in combination with a word in the subject, or the date I look on a particular website. So control is an illusion.

The people that follow a leader, any leader, are under the illusion they following someone who knows more than they do.

If all is One, and with everything being equal, I most certainly won't diminish my worth by being a follower, or be caught up in my self enough to think I am better than someone else or know more than they do.

All is equal, all is One.

The illusion is strong. leaders...followers..controllers of information and knowledge.
I can't be afraid of an illusion. I love the fact the universe could come up with such complex arrangements that appear real.

A lot more posts are from new members than old, in my opinion.
I can't help but wonder what happened to the seasoned members and why.
I believe my day will come where I watch and learn and no longer post.
Then there will be nothing to control about or from me, either.

Illusions are funny!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Edit to add: One last question. why do people feel the need to add attribution
to their "edit to adds"...is it polite. I mean I'm just asking. I've never
read a post and then thought, "Man, I WONDER why that guy edited
his post?"

I personally annotate what I have edited so that people who have already read my post, can see what I have added/changed. It shows that I have additional contributions to my original post. Without it, members who have already read the post won't bother reading the additional or changed information.

As far as the OP, I completely agree. It's one thing to concur with another member and it's something entirely different to take another member's opinion as absolute fact. With that being said, I don't think it's the "leaders" fault entirely, though sometimes these "leaders" play into that role. For the most part, I think that ATS is just a microcosm of society as a whole, so what we see in the real world, is going to be reflected here. It's just a fact of life. This is the whole reason behind the success and popularity of political pundits. People in today's society have been indoctrinated to follow others without questioning the intent or motive. To a certain extent, it's just part of the human nature, though I believe it to be getting worse. It is the reason why cast systems have been so prevalent in our world and it's the reason why tyranny has always had the fuel that is needed for it to dominate.

The sad thing is that ATS is supposed to be above this kind of blind submission, though you can't expect everyone to be up to speed as soon as they get here. If this kind of thing didn't occur to the degree in which it does, there would be no need for ATS in the first place.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
I get suspicious of 'Phage', 'Chadwickus' and 'Maybe maybe not'...

Phage is an alien covering up his people's mistakes.

Chad is a secret weapon designed by top-notch secret super-scientists looking to make a perfect solider...I also have reasons to think his bones are metal. (Weird...I know)

Maybe-maybe-not? Well...he has admitted to me many times that he once stole a space ship from the Intergalactic-Pope. I don't have a real photo of this...but here is an artistic representation of what I am telling you-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0d7ac3ed6dc.gif[/atsimg]

OH! And not to mention, Maybe-Maybe-Not once posted a picture of him on his "day job". CHECK THIS OUT AND TELL ME WHAT IS UP!

Let that sink in...

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

He's cute.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
This is apparent with the star system too... I think that it is so wrong and is the last thing we should bring ourselves to doing .

Yeah. It's a bitch when people respond, but they don't respond the way you want them to respond.

This is the same whining complaint we hear about talk radio. The Liberals out there simply can't believe nobody wants to listen to their monotonous litany of accusations, hypocritical gossip and name-calling, right.

WHAT'S WRONG with people? Don't they see HOW BRILLIANT we are?? Why won't anyone listen to our brilliant programming???

Liberals simply can't believe that the majority of Americans would rather listen to angry conservatives and right-wing radicals who have legitimate points to make against the government.

Why do those brainless conservatives get all the stars, but our brilliant liberal programming gets dick?

Look, it's a matter of perspective. Try changing your perspective for a moment. Try looking at those simple-minded two-line responses that have 247 stars and imagine WHY so many people appreciate those responses.

If you can't imagine why, or you can't change your perspective, then chances are you're mind is full of corroded, encrusted, inflexible, dogmatic bullshît.

Usually, when you see rampant injustice in the world, it's because you're on the wrong side.

So, I'm calling this complaint what it is...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2a986fb154a.gif[/atsimg]

P.S. : Oh, and chill out. Stars and flags are just little icons on the screen, dude. You can't put the fekking things on your résumé.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/11/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Mr Mask

He's cute.

Only on the outside...on the inside he looks like a bus wreck of crushed kittens!

Horrible looking man on the inside.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
For some reason, some people seem to have a need for or just love to place labels on things and other people.

Maybe it's because these labels can then be used to enforce divisions. Or to make all sorts of fast assumptions about where another person is coming from and then use those assumptions to either dismiss a person or a concept or information outright. Sometimes it's a convenient way to just avoid thinking too hard or being taken outside the comfort zone. I guess people need something to identify with or they feel alone?

There's danger in doing labeling because the information might have value and might even go deeper than how it appears on the surface. If you start to make a habit of labeling and then ignoring based on labels (really your preconceptions about a person or the concept or subject), you might miss some really critical information.

Labels also flat out turn some people off. I for instance, tune out the minute someone starts ranting about political ideologies or Obama or Bush or democrats or republicans. To me that's already some narrow thinking there. And also in many cases probably a really big clue about not thinking for yourself.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

reply to post by Mr Mask

He's cute.

Only on the outside...on the inside he looks like a bus wreck of crushed kittens!

Horrible looking man on the inside.

I wouldn't know.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Yeah. It's a bitch when people respond, but they don't respond the way you want them to respond.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Isn't that Brad Pitt?

[Sorry to go off topic, but they started it, and I'm weak!
]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Isn't that Brad Pitt?

]

Looks like him.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Isn't that Brad Pitt?

]

HA!

my bad...continue...Brad Pitt is just very powerful and I think more of us need to know he is really Maybe-Maybe-Not.

PS- Disclaimer= Mask has no proof.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

OMG.....I don't know what to write!

Where's Phage?

Where's Chadwickus?

Where's Zaiger?

Where's Cripmeister?

Where's Mr Mask?

Where's InfraRedMan?

I'M ALL ALONE!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

Isn't that Brad Pitt?

]

HA!

my bad...continue...Brad Pitt is just very powerful and I think more of us need to know he is really Maybe-Maybe-Not.

PS- Disclaimer= Mask has no proof.

You really have a suspicion he is brad?

ew ew, I am gonna go read his post,

Seriously though why do you suspect this?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join