It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ATS Members Losing The Ability To think For Themselves ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I totally agree. When they started advertising to drive traffic they brought in a whole flock of followers and those that cannot think for themselves. Site has gone downhill since in a huge way. But now the owners are making money so I guess that makes it all ok. Just like all who once had ideals, the lure of money has destroyed exactly what they were fighting for.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Good Post. I think it is human nature to side or follow. Jeez politics and religion are going strong and many individuals are so eager to give up their sovereignty to be group identified. I guess it occurs here also. Snap to all!!! Lets all do a better job to keep the conversation intelligent and lose the color commentary against others. Lets keep ATS an oasis from the common petty gossip sites.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Omega85 (The OP of this thread),
View this video at:
0:04:28
AND
0:15:00

Watch 30 seconds of each point.

Your questions will be answered by someone who has many connections to those who run this site.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by ATS4dummies]

[edit on 11-7-2010 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You know, something just occurred to me that relates to this thread. We come to ATS to express our views on the topics that interest us. Many times (at least for me) those views are not necessarily the views that people outside of the "alternative" community have and are looked at with disdain so ATS is an outlet to discuss these things without reservation or the normal expectations of other people.

How sad it must be to not even be able to come onto ATS without others having an expectation of you. When people "idolize" other posters, they are unwittingly creating an environment for that person in which that person cannot truly feel free to express themselves or even change their mind on something for want of not disappointing their "followers".

How sad.. seriously.

link   
reply to post by Omega85

There are two ways of viewing it.

When people say "i can't wait until *insert name* sees this it is more than likely because such members respect the individuals opinion as the member has a track record of providing good information due to a wealth of knowledge of the subject.

The second and much darker side is the one you have alluded to. Certain sections of people have banded together. I notice that when certain subjects are bought up the threads get the same number of flags every time, give or take a few. Once one member sees a certain type of thread suddenly the rest of them pile in.

However this is not "group think", this is simply those who agree on the same topic supporting one another. Of course this can skew threads and hiuinder discussion but it's a natural part of websites like this.

CX

link   
Lol i knew phage's name would crop up in this.

Sometimes a member will get a particular "following" due to the fact that they are good at what they do. They may be an "expert" in thier field, or at least very knowledgeable.

A good lesson for people to try is to find out why a member gets such high regard before putting them down because others hang on thier every word.

A few months ago i found myself thinking the same thing about phage and also a couple of others....so instead of getting funny about it as though they were getting more attention than me....i asked them.u
I u2u'd phage and politely asked him why he was so sought after in the subjects he advised on. The reply i got was more than good enough for me, so now i just take it that he knows more than i will on the subject.

I sometimes find it hard to agree with what phage says, but that comes from not having the knowledge that he does, so i don't know any better.

I think many people will pick holes in a member because they do not like what they say. The answer may be so simple that it's almost too boring for the aliens and ufo forum, or the space forum.

Sorry to pick phage out for this example, but it could be any nember of members here.

If it was about running a business, i might wait on Mark or Bill's word because they know more than i do about that.

If it was about security or singing, i'd be hanging on Semper's.

Yes i think ATS members should think for themselves, but they should also get to know the people here who know thier stuff. They are a massive asset to the site and will help you free your mind more than most.

I just feel that sometimes thier answers are just too boring for people here, even though they may be the correct answers.

Sometimes a solar flare is just a solar flare people.

This is not an attention game, but if you disagree with someone, feel free to provide evidence to the contrary and you'll get people hanging on your every word too.

CX.

[edit on 11/7/10 by CX]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

My very humble apologies....

I'll take the demerit for a short post, but when an apology is in order, I Will always do so....

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You took the thread right out of my mouth!

Brilliant. There's a couple of popular threads on at the moment which serve as good examples to your thread here.

EDIT: Actually maybe I'm wrong. I get suspicious of 'Phage', 'Chadwickus' and 'Maybe maybe not'... But I've just reread their posts to 'support' my suspicion and most of these posters use science and facts... something which is very rarely found on ATS nowadays and maybe we should be addressing that problem first??

[edit on 11-7-2010 by and14263]

CX

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I totally agree. When they started advertising to drive traffic they brought in a whole flock of followers and those that cannot think for themselves. Site has gone downhill since in a huge way. But now the owners are making money so I guess that makes it all ok. Just like all who once had ideals, the lure of money has destroyed exactly what they were fighting for.

What is it that someone once said ?

"Be the change you want".

Ah yes, that was it.

CX.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Are you really surprised? I think you could make a strong argument for there being far MORE sheep on ATS than in the general population, after all how many members are here because they read some poorly written sci-fi fantasy like project camelot and became utterly convinced that "alienz R real"?
I also strongly suspect that IQ tests across the board would reveal a startlingly low average. Most of the conspiracies I have read here are a lot simpler to understand than the complicated mechanisms of the real world and as such appeal strongly to people who long for the feeling of safety that believing you are 'in the know' provides - but lack the capacity to actually educate themselves in any meaningfull sense of the word.
No offense ATS, but seriously there have been enough sufficiently retarded threads on here recently to almost completely destroy my faith in humanity if it weren't for the fact that I know plenty of children under 10 that are more intelligent than most of the posters in them.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Arkady]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I am really sorry to say this and apologize in advance. Some people have really taken it as a popularity contest especially the new members who think ATS is all about Stars, Flags and more stars. But unfortunately I do not star and flag a thread unless it is really worth it and vice versa I expect the same from everyone........

This grouping thing is what got us into trouble(ie the whole world full of troubles) in the first place.

Imagine if we all had different ideas, we wouldnt have any energy crisis but we rely on someone else to solve the problem for us .................

link   
At the end of the day, when all is said and done, the bottom line is... and other such euphemisms, ATS is essentially just a business that allows people to promulgate their ideas and experiences in a set of related subject matters. It isn't about to change the world. It represents the on-line equivalent of a bar-room debate - you might learn something, you might vehemently disagree, but ultimately, you still have to go home after closing time and go to your job in the morning.

That said, I have seen a few (note... a FEW) threads that have lead to some really productive collaborations where the input from posters has generally kept on track to the benefit of a single purpose. In truth, these are few and far between.

The question we really have to ask ourselves is, does the current format of ATS allow 'serious' discussion to be maintained to a conclusion that educates everybody? Is this even the point of ATS. of course, ATS is ultimately a platform for the expression of opinion since in the main, only internet articles are used for reference and in the majority, these are subjective texts and supporting documentation.

I'd perhaps like to see a board aimed specifically at arriving at a 'conclusion'. As an example, there was recently a collaborative thread aimed at 'saving' a UFO sighting archive from going the way of the dodo... this type of thread could benefit from being separated from those that simply call for another round of metaphorical drinks.

link   
People don't think for themselves because it's easier to say: "But the expert sed so" or to just copy paste some text from another site.
Thinking is effing hard!!1

Originally posted by Exuberant1
This thread is about to get pwned.

I lold

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

Omega I am not sure what to think of your post, I will ask all the other ATS members and come up with an opinion.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
its facebook/twitter syndrome.

people want to be followers.

people want to follow.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thank you OP. I've been coming to ATS for about a year now and i don't post many replies. I'm very skeptical of the tight cliques in the forums and threads. Especially after seeing the John Lear clip posted by ATS4dummies.

I would just like to say that its obvious that some people come into these threads just to kill the peaceful debate and start negative arguments. Its happens all to much in many different threads. If you look at the comments or forums on other conspiracy based websites you will see a lot of the same things going on. Which leads me to believe that if everything is done with pure %100 un-cut LOVE, it might be a tad easier to ween out the fakes. Because you know how love can get under robots/sheeples skin

Agree to disagree....peacefully

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The US general population lost the ability to think for themselves decades ago, at the point in time where television was available to the vast majority of the population.

The internet has not, nor will not completely avoid being exploited in a very similar manner.

Those who can manipulate and control thoughts and opinions can and will find ways to control YOU.

The basic human/animal instincts are very similar to that of many pack animals.

Many tend to follow "popular opinion" because they want to be a member of a pack, sometimes following blindly and not even realizing that they are.

Even when you are convinced your thoughts and opinions are your own, they are not, especially when interacting with or absorbing any forms of mass-media. You can always be easily categorized, and placed within any particular group of thoughts or opinions and ultimately tagged a member of a pack, group, or political party.

You've never had the ability to think for yourselves.

It has and will forever remain an illusion.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

I would have to give a definite 'Bingo'! to your post ATS4dummies, if the pied piper is leading everyone in one direction I sit and watch, if angry troll is fishing for stars and flags I sit and watch, if a thread sticks out and really gets my attention I reply as neutrally as possible...

OP!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've noticed some strange things too,and i have been suspicious that some profiles are being created,possibly by even this site itself, and i suspect possibly for ratings and greater traffic. I have also encountered some newer members posts on several occasions,that i have been completely been blocked from replying too,without any cause. There are simply those here who would bash anthers thread,but sometimes criticism is the name of the game when it comes to the thread,you just have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes. No one knows everything about everything,and that's why we all come here. There isn't anyone here i hate,i just don't understand why some people can be so resentful.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm fairly new here and have not made any threads yet at this point because I don't have enough posts and I want to make sure that what I bring to the table is a topic worth discussion that can not be debunked or ridiculed. My first and every post will be something I have researched extensively.

Why create a thread if it is absolute garbage and will only be a matter of time before someone comes in a recognizes the bullshirt?

Well, some people want to create fear or get stars and flags and it seems that sometimes this site is politics as usual. Some thread titles have been changed to get more attention to the topic, faked or hoaxy videos...etc.

I have found a few informative threads on this site, but for the most part, I treat it as entertainment - like Sun or National Enquirer and what not.

So I mostly just sit in the back and watch. When I come across something that truly interests me, I will join in - like this thread for instance.

This site is supposed to be anti-normal, anti-business as usual, anti-politics - but what did anyone expect? There will always be those few people that get followed and every once in a while, those few need to be challenged to make sure their integrity is still strong. People can become corrupt and it is up to us to make sure those few we trust continue to stay the type of people we can trust.

Anyway, excellent topic and lets keep the threads interesting. We came here because we have questions that are unanswered or the MSM's answer has holes. Deny Ignorance!

Just my 2 cents...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join