It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

As for me I see none. But I am a sole individual that thinks in a different way. I welcome the ostracizing remarks. If you pray for patience do you think God will give you patience? Or will he give you an opportunity to practice patience.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

As for me I see none. But I am a sole individual that thinks in a different way.

Then maybe you should stop wasting so many posts justifying a poor reaction to something you yourself cannot even see?

I welcome the ostracizing remarks. If you pray for patience do you think God will give you patience? Or will he give you an opportunity to practice patience.

If I pray for patience I am certain I will simply waste whatever time it takes to pray and that is about it.

[edit on 7/13/10 by evil incarnate]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate
reply to post by Conclusion

Then why are you going on and on about it? I do believe I asked you some questions about the OP. You addressed one. Then you asked what I wanted to move on to and let it drop. Remember that? How respectful does that seem? What did I say or do do deserve that then?

I apologize for any disrespect you felt for none was intended I can assure you. I cannot answer a lot of your questions. I am also seeking for every truth I can find to guide me in this life.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Then maybe you should stop wasting so many posts justifying a poor reaction to something you yourself cannot even see?

What some gleam as a wasted post others may gleam as a certain truth.

If I pray for patience I am certain I will simply waste whatever time it takes to pray and that is about it.

As you said so it shall be for you.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I apologize for any disrespect you felt for none was intended I can assure you. I cannot answer a lot of your questions. I am also seeking for every truth I can find to guide me in this life.

Not having answers and even being ignored are not really the issue. The issue is two "Christians" in this thread volunteered to actually discuss the OP. One was you, one was Randy. I asked nice normal logical questions. Randy wanted nothing to do with that. He went back to fighting with others and resorted to insulting me just to get me to stop trying to discuss and fight as well. Then you offered and after addressing one question, you suddenly had no idea there were other questions in my list of questions. It is that playing stupid thing that is becoming way to frequent here. If you had not answers, cool. To volunteer to answer them, ask me to repeat them a 3rd time, then address one and ask again what the others were just to pretend to miss the response to that is kind of........

well I will let you find a word for that. You are not the only one. I keep seeing people taking things out of context or askin purposely stupid questions in post after post just to convolute any logical questions. It is sickening and I think would make most real Christians a little ashamed to see it done in the name of their god.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

What some gleam as a wasted post others may gleam as a certain truth.

And there is another fine example of what is wrong with these kinds of threads. That means nothing and you know it. It is as empty as a blank post would be but it made you feel good and we all know someone like Randy will star it for no reason. You just said you did not see a reason why I was being ignored but you are saying justifying that ignoring based on the actions you find justifiable but did not find that I did has some truth to it. Now I know why you believe in a god.

As you said so it shall be for you.

At least you know.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate

Not having answers and even being ignored are not really the issue. The issue is two "Christians" in this thread volunteered to actually discuss the OP. One was you, one was Randy. I asked nice normal logical questions. Randy wanted nothing to do with that. He went back to fighting with others and resorted to insulting me just to get me to stop trying to discuss and fight as well. Then you offered and after addressing one question, you suddenly had no idea there were other questions in my list of questions. It is that playing stupid thing that is becoming way to frequent here. If you had not answers, cool. To volunteer to answer them, ask me to repeat them a 3rd time, then address one and ask again what the others were just to pretend to miss the response to that is kind of........

well I will let you find a word for that. You are not the only one. I keep seeing people taking things out of context or askin purposely stupid questions in post after post just to convolute any logical questions. It is sickening and I think would make most real Christians a little ashamed to see it done in the name of their god.

The frustration I sense in your post is seemingly justified. I can only answer what I can. What I cannot answer I cannot.

Take your avatar name for instance. Evil Incarnate. You say you are an atheist yet your name leads one to believe that it represents Satin. Why would you want that? Why did you pick that name if you yourself do not believe in a Creator? You come to this thread and make accusations at me and I have said nothing disrespectful to you, even with you making fun of my believes with your snide remarks. Now you are claiming knowledge that Christians would be ashamed of trying to speak to someone about God? I have seen through you from the start. I know your kind. I was once one of you. I know the Truth now. Deny what you want and believe how you will, for that is your choice. As for me, I will humble myself before the Lord any day for I know what he has done, not just for me, but for everyone.

Oh by the way I have never claimed to be a Christian. I have never been baptized with water. Christ is more than a label. He is the way.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Conclusion]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The funny thing is I am not religious in the slightest. I dislike evangelists and most theism. I am only telling you what I know...and you attack me because I believe in SOMETHING.

I was wondering why everyone is getting so hostile, and then I considered the name of the thread is bound to bring the vultures down to feed on the quivering carcass of faith.

Gasping it's last.

Faith is another thing altogether different from goodness and religion.
Faith is knowing the unknowable.
Remembering. Calling on some part of you that has been passed down from generation to generation, like a seed, from both mother and father, from the beginning of creation, from the moment of conception. Shared memories, old memories, inspired thoughts, so that you do not need to be told or to learn, you just know. A magic atom.

Faith in God/ is like God saying...Jump off this cliff... for me.
You will not be hurt.
Looking into a chasm and seeing the rocks below. You people arguing against me, even my own observation and all common sense is telling me that those rocks will kill me.
Faith is jumping anyway. Trusting God.
I don't expect anyone to understand. It is not understandable.
I expect you to call me ignorant. It is ok.

Now it is difficult to find opportunities in life where you can use this and obey...but I have found, (though you may not have the same experience, I can't help or explain that) but when you do, when I do, somehow it all falls impossibly into place.

Believe it or not.

There was a poster, (I probably deleted him) who said the word faggot used to mean something other than what it means today. That was meant to suggest it didn't matter what the word originally meant, or it's original usage.
And they call me ignorant...Correct, there was no gay person then called a faggot. The word originally meant a pile of sticks. A real pile of sticks. Not something else they were just calling a pile of sticks and was NOT a pile of sticks.
The word spirit and inspiration originally meant divinely inspired. There was a divine inspiration to begin with which gave rise to the word to describe it.

Say there was, as you put forth no "God" to know about what so ever.
You are saying here then
At the "lightbulb" moment of the first really good "original" thought....
the woman said (had to be) ok seriously, a human being, said to them selves..."Hey that was my idea, look what I did! Unbelievable. Didn't think I could do it but there it is! Something new.
Now I don't want to take credit for this myself...
I am going to make up a deity, a make believe person or a gaseous vapor, from another planet maybe... and say this entity gave me that thought.
That was a really good thought! I think I will call it "inspired by God, though there is no God so I can't imagine what the heck this means, I am just making it up and I hope it catches on"
In -spirit- ation.

Come on. The history and origin of words matter, as the origin of the earth and ourselves IS significant and means something. The farther back you go the closer you get to the truth. Like peeling an onion.

Goblin of Rags...forgotten your name ...already..the blessings- they just will not stop

I know. I acknowledge that. He likes to kill innocent children but is staunchly against selling a house full of bees. He has standards.

Isn't it petty to over-use my personal experience? It is not designed to convince you of anything, but to glimpse a little of what might be possible, were you not so dead set against it. (dead being the operative word I think) You all are making such wild speculations about me personally - as if I am not allowed to believe in anything outside myself. Please. Off me. Surprisingly, most atheists were not born that way. They have had religion beaten out of them and I agree it can be a ball buster. Do you have to take it out on everyone. What is this...reparations?

Are their any nice atheist out there? Ones who will not assume I am an evangelist out to reform anyone. I am not the cause of the worlds problems either.

So quit getting all

on me.
Religion may play a large role in that separation from ourselves but just because you personally are not getting anything out of it, I don't see how it is constructive to belittle people without provocation.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The frustration I sense in your post is seemingly justified. I can only answer what I can. What I cannot answer I cannot.

I would never expect anyone to have all the answers, or even feel obligated to try. It is when someone says "ask away" then "sorry, what did you ask" to follow up with "I missed the last 80%, what was it?" that is frustrating. Do you see the difference? I am not giving Mat any crap for not answering my questions, see why?

Take your avatar name for instance. Evil Incarnate. You say you are an atheist yet your name leads one to believe that it represents Satin. Why would you want that?

To be perfectly honest, I find Satin to be kind of slippery and almost greasy feeling. I prefer Silk. As far as my avatar goes, I am a Satanist. Being such, my views on the concept of deities is Atheist. These things coincide as well as being mutually exclusive.

Why did you pick that name if you yourself do not believe in a Creator?

What does my screen name have to do with a creator?

You come to this thread and make accusations at me and I have said nothing disrespectful to you, even with you making fun of my believes with your snide remarks.

What did I accuse you of?

Now you are claiming knowledge that Christians would be ashamed of trying to speak to someone about God?

Not at all. I claim that to know Christians that would be ashamed of the use of lies and derision to do so.

I have seen through you from the start. I know your kind. I was once one of you.

I am not sure you could possible sound any more judgemental. I have not judged anything but the words in this thread. You claim to know so much about me? I believe your god has rules about that. I take great offense at being called any kind and I can be certain you were never once anything like me.

I know the Truth now. Deny what you want and believe how you will, for that is your choice. As for me, I will humble myself before the Lord any day for I know what he has done, not just for me, but for everyone.

What horrible event in your life helped you find the truth?

Oh by the way I have never claimed to be a Christian. I have never been baptized with water. Christ is more than a label. He is the way.

If you believe Christ is the way, you are a Christian. Baptism has nothing to do with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
I was wondering why everyone is getting so hostile?
I guess I should have expected this considering the name of the thread.
The Atheist Nightmare is bound to bring the vultures down on the quivering carcass of faith.

Perhaps this is the reason why people are so upset:

Ada, Oklahoma: A Baptist student told a local newspaper she wouldn’t take professor William Zellner’s classes because he was an atheist, triggering a flurry of abuse. Zellner received harassing notes and telephone calls, some threatening. His car was vandalized, for a time on a daily basis. A local church sold “I am praying for Dr. Zellner” buttons. His children experienced shunning and beatings from religious children.

Calgary, Alberta: An eleven-year-old boy (name withheld) experienced daily physical attacks and threats against his life by schoolmates—notably the sons of three local pastors—after protesting intercom readings of the Lord’s Prayer in a public school. He was repeatedly body-checked into hallway walls and attacked in the rest rooms. One pastor’s son stalked him with a butcher knife in an empty portable classroom. Despite the seriousness of this incident, no action was taken. The boy’s parents transferred him to another school for his own safety.

Both quotes above come from: Margaret Downey, Free Inquiry magazine, Volume 24, Number 4.

Judges in child-custody hearings sometimes discriminate against non-religious parents, unconstitutionally punishing their lack of faith. Such cases are surprisingly common: UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh documented 25 instances between 2000 and 2005, and that includes only the cases that reached appeals courts.

Sam Barr, The Harvard Crimson: Oct 2009 - "The Crosses We Bear"

57% of those respondents from the U.S. feared that there would be a least minor repercussions for coming out as an atheist in the workplace. 55% of the U.S. respondents indicated that they felt atheists were "very stigmatized" compared to only 17% from Canada, 4% from the U.K., 3% from Western Europe and 4% from Australia.

Skeptic Magazine vol. 15 number 4: 2010 "The Nonreligious"

The Nonreligious are a minority group larger then most in the country, currently 15%. They have no minority leaders in the political spectrum, no government lobbies or officials to support them. Atheists are more hated in America then most any other group, whether it be by sexual orientation, religion, creed, or nationality. People tend to get a tad aggressive when they feel they are being discriminated against, and yet, discrimination against atheists are allowed to stand in our society. Some of the things said on this thread about atheists would be considered a hate crime if they were about other minorities or religions.

Faith is knowing the unknowable.

No.

Faith (n) - confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability. Belief that is not based on proof.

You do not know anymore then we know. You have faith, not knowledge, faith.

Are their any nice atheist out there? Ones who will not assume I am an evangelist out to reform anyone at all. I am not the cause of the world s problems either. Religion may play a large role but just because you personally are not getting anything out of it I don't see how it is constructive to belittle people without provocation.

Are there any nice Christians out there? Ones that will not assume that us non-religious folk are participating in a rebellion or a fad. That we aren't the causes of problems in modern society. That we have a moral compass without religion and aren't ready to murder/rape/pillage all willy nilly? See I can make generalizations as well.

By the way, in all seriousness to your comment. I like to think I'm a rather nice guy once you get to know me. Sometimes I can get a tad argumentative, maybe sometimes abrasive, but most of the people that know me would trust me to help them out in an instant without question.

[edit on 7-13-2010 by WolfofWar]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Never have I seen such a sickening display of hypocrisy on ATS before, so blatant and preying on such fundamental human emotions. Now that is messed up.

I'd simplistcaly like to relish this one moment, in the space time continuum while in avoidance of any ostricising comments of conviction of our more
willingly wicked . Those who pride themselves on deciet worshipping the father of lies . Those who would say that black is really white. The moon is
just a solid light. If you wish to walk through golden halls. You'll have to be there when the devil calls.

You guys are way to heavy man. Smile once in awhile It doesn't hurt.
Also can I ask a question that I hope you can all drop the plastic arrogance
for one post to answer?

What is so bad about having somebody, anybody love you. Even if it's God? Two parts. What is up with all your bloody hatred of a guy who you don't even know? He hasn't been around for 2000 yrs. He, weather he was right about it or not, believeed in what he was doing. That is DYING FOR YOU. The very fact that I and many others on this site. can feel your deep
hatred, of some one who lived 2000 yrs ago. Is the only proof I need that
Jesus Christ is your creator and God in the flesh.

I have to be careful, or I could tell you all something about evil you obviously don't know.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

No hatred here. If there is a god, cool, if there isn't cool. It's just sad to see so many people twist and manipulate a book people use to find inspiration and hope for themselves and manipulate it to be used to convince people to hate, be bigoted, be violent, and easily controlled.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

As with the conspicuous ambulatory referendum of degree, the wanted infestation of elliptical thought adheres to said monotony. Clarifying the dreaded unstable societal expedition of want, dismays accordingly the obliviousness of emotional digress in a systematic endeavor.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

OK, you have been hurt personally, but none of these were me. The troubles of the world will not stop if you continue to lash out at the innocent and the guilty alike, with a large swath.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
This is that rippling wave Annie was mentioning earlier...and it flows both ways.
Your justified, indignation, distress, and hopefully plan of attack on the
valid problems, horrors and horrific people illustrated above
needs to be finer focused.

On the perpetrators.

You just met me online.
I am visible and hold some of the ideologies you hate...so you are blanket firing on me. Fair?
I might make an easy target but if you waste your gumption on me, you won't have any pep, or bullets left for the real bad guys...
and take this to your bank.....It ain't me, babe.

I support a persons right to be atheist.
I am glad they removed that cross from the desert.
I believe in freedom from religion.
I don't have to give up what I personally know as God to do that,
to support you to take your side.
If you first alienate people who might be willing to fight
for your freedom as well, it is going to be one long, uphill battle.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

No hatred here. If there is a god, cool, if there isn't cool. It's just sad to see so many people twist and manipulate a book people use to find inspiration and hope for themselves and manipulate it to be used to convince people to hate, be bigoted, be violent, and easily controlled.

Wolfie, that is one of the best posts I have seen from you. I have to agree with that, only to add, I'm sure you realise that is not the rule.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Feel free to show me where I attacked you? I want quotes. If you want me to attack you, I could, but as of yet I have never assaulted your ideologies. Again, generalizations, because I don't hate your ideologies. I don't care about your ideologies, I'm indifferent of them. But please, do show me specific points where I myself have attacked you.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I like to believe that most people are good people, trying to be good people the only way they can. I know not every christian hates atheists and other religions, I hope you realize not every atheist is out to attack your beliefs. We are in this together on this tiny blue orb, I wish we would just get over these religious in differences and work together. No offense though Randy, but your thread doesn't help this. Your thread is an attempt to isolate, not to unite.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

If discourse, being of emotional diversity, is thrust to the forefront of the war. Who takes control of the reins to ensure one mind?

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Conclusion]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

I'm sure you know the the reins of evil are held by the one driving the coach from hell. The one with wicked passengers. Well?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I like to believe that most people are good people, trying to be good people the only way they can. I know not every christian hates atheists and other religions, I hope you realize not every atheist is out to attack your beliefs. We are in this together on this tiny blue orb, I wish we would just get over these religious in differences and work together. No offense though Randy, but your thread doesn't help this. Your thread is an attempt to isola

You need only look at the amount of Atheists on my friends list wolfie.
I'm sorry I presume Wolfie is Ok. meant with no dis.

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join