It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
In the meantime......

The Senate UNANIMOUSLY approved David Patreaus for a war WE AREN'T PAYING FOR!!!!!!

WHERE ARE THE F'N REPUBLICANS ON THAT ONE?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
In the meantime......

The Senate UNANIMOUSLY approved David Patreaus for a war WE AREN'T PAYING FOR!!!!!!

WHERE ARE THE F'N REPUBLICANS ON THAT ONE?

Well ofcourse they aren't gonna say squat about the war, that would be a bit hypocritical of them eh?

I think the GOP want to stay as far away as being seen like a bunch of morons. Even though that's the ultimate result we are seeing from both sides at the moment.

Should be an interesting november..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

Yes move. You are out of money and can't find a job so your house will be gone soon anyway. Walk away if you're underwater on the loan. You can find a job somewhere else and THEN move so the landlord would have no problem renting to you. It takes a little work thats all. Look at you making excuses. Yes it would be HARD!!! God forbid you have to work at bettering your situation.

"Hard" is not the problem. "Expensive" is the problem. Do you really think you are SO clever that you have figured something out no one else has?
Or do you just think that all of a sudden, 5% of the population, (The unemployment rate is usually around 5% and economists work to keep it that way, btw, but it now hovers around 10%) just suddenly got really, really lazy and unmotivated? Its just coincidence that this epidemic of laziness is concurrent with the biggest economic failure since the Depression. Right?

People where I live are knocking on doors looking for yard work. People who had jobs a year or two ago. They arent unmotivated. There are no jobs for them.

So dont get all self righteous if you happen to be one of the fortunate who hasnt lost their job, their home, their life savings. Be grateful, and learn a little compassion for others.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The Republicans dont work for you. They work for wealthy economic interests.

When will people figure out that the only difference between the two parties is the bull# they will tell you while they are screwing you? The actual screwing is going to be the same. Only the pillow talk differs.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
for people saying get a job, you have to be the most cold heart, uninformed people I have ever heard of, there are right now 1 job opening for every 5 people. How are you supposed to find a job. Do you even know what unemployment is. It is insurance that we paid for, this is not welfare, or food stamps this is for people who WORKED!! and now are unemployed due to no fault of there own.

Yes just move. So how do you come up with first months rent and security. How about a moving van? When you can't even get a job at Mc Donalds because they only hire under qualified people because they know your looking for a real job. If you actually think its just as easy as getting a job you are a complete and utter moron. And I pray you never go through what some of these people are going through. our unemployment rate is at 9.8% thats not including a lot.

Please before you make false claims because you think it couldnt happen to you. Go to the unemployment message boards and read the stories of the 1000s of 45 to 60 yr olds who lost there jobs and worked for 30+ years at the same job and have nothing now, because wall street took their 401k and now the government has taken everything. yea but we need to be in Iraq right? Damm fools

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
30 million+ unemployed
2.5 million jobs available

[sarcasm]just go back to work ya lazy slackers.[/sarcasm]

[edit on 30-6-2010 by djzombie]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

Two million people will have their unemployment benefits stopped by mid-July. Thats a lot of unfortunate people that have run out of options. I guess they will have to go work for minimun wage somewhere just to survive.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

If they were able to get a minimum wage job, they shouldn't be on unemployment anyway.

It's harsh to live on minimum wage, but those that can work, should.

It's very harsh for those who are truly in trouble though, and it's not quite as simple as "Go and get a job". Where I live there are 10 people to every job opening, and when you've been out of work, you can't just afford to uproot and move to a more prosperous area, people that low on money can barely afford gas, and new shoes for a job interview, let alone flights/long drives across the country, the cost of finding new accomodation and so on.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

Your points are valid, but you fail to realize that not EVERYBODY who is unemployed is in that situation. There are people who simply DON'T want to work a lower, menial job for the sake of their pride.

This is who I was referring to, I acknowledge that there is a significant lack of jobs, yes in fields that are required for economic growth and stability.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If you can't find work after a year and a half around where you live then its time to move.

I don't think you entirely grasp the reality or severity of the situation that a large percentage of these people are in. If people could just say, " Oh, well we had a good run in XXX city. Lets just move across the state, country to XXX city and everything will be just perfect." If it was that easy than we wouldn't be having record breaking unemployment rates not just in our country but globally.

It's always easier for somebody to say such things when they're still lucky enough to be financially secure. If you were in the same situation as that 10%+ than you would certainly be singing a different tune.

You also fail to realize that the cities which do have a better chance for people to find a job already have thousands of people moving to that location. This in turn makes it difficult or virtually impossible for people to obtain a job when over 300 people are applying to the same 5 open positions. I live in the Dallas, TX area and this is in fact the situation here which has been said to be one of the "better" areas to be in currently.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is a novel idea for the individuals collecting money for

unemployment work for that money you are receiving. These jobs could

easily be created in the private sector paid by the government who is

footing the bill anyway. Call it temporary employment. I forgot most will

not want to work for the trade off of money they would receive for

temporary work for unemployment checks.

The unemployed subsidized temporary worker wins and so does

the employer who is not paying wages temporarily and in the long run it

would create more jobs. ^Y^

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
the one thing I think no one sees about this is , that government cant even run a unemployment insurance company efficiently.. and thats even when people are mandated to contribute to it.. i they want to or not.

Only government can screw up so badly and still be in business for this long this is just more proof.

And just think this is the same as our "health care" plan..

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

There used to be ideas like this, "Workhouses" and similar, but it never really works out in reality. If the government doesn't have money to pay benefits, then it also doesn't have money for "make work" useless schemes to keep people busy. If the workless are made to work for companies, then you're just shifting the problem around, someone else will lose out because of that. Also it's a troubling interference in the natural scheme of giving the job to the best person, and is a kind of backdoor to less than minimum wage workers displacing the already poor minimum wage workers.

The government seems to just do all the wrong ideas. I heard the other day they want to increase the retirement age to 70. Meaning, people staying in jobs for even longer, and even less jobs opening up for young people.

One idea I think could work, is stop the prison labor. A huge percentage of the USA's domestic goods are made by prisoners. If they stopped that, those jobs could go to regular folks, although this might not be any kind of silver bullet, as the reason prison labor is used so intensively, is to compete with countries like China/India.

Stopping prison labor, and increasing Import tarriffs to stop some of those cheap non-USA made goods might work though.

[edit on 30/6/2010 by harpsounds]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

Excellent post. I think sometimes folks forget that unemployment benefits IS NOT welfare, and that MANY of these unfortunate folks worked HARD for decades paying into this system and are now being DENIED what is theirs.

And now they will soon lose everything they have ever worked for...

How much have we spent on WAR already??

And how about those BAILOUTS??

SO... what is it about the American worker that the Republicans always like to screw?

What do they have against the American workers?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

The government is already doing that, (kind of)

Total nonfarm payroll employment grew by 431,000 in May, reflecting
the hiring of 411,000 temporary employees to work on Census 2010, the
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Private-sector em-
ployment changed little (+41,000). Manufacturing, temporary help ser-
vices, and mining added jobs, while construction employment declined.
The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent.

nearly half a million "unemployed slackers unwilling to work" took temporary jobs with the census. And that nearly half a million more people who will be out of work again soon.

These people are willing to work, they dont have positions to work in.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

I grasp the severity of the situation very well. Its even worse then you think. I am telling you, the US economy is on the way to a full collapse 1930s style. There will be no more bailouts. The fed just can't print more money, not without causing a huge drop in the value of the dollar. You would see inflation go out of control. The government will soon have no more money to give out. Its that simple.

The federal government is owes about 13 trillion dollars to various creditors and soon it will be time to pay up. The majority of the states are also broke and can't afford to pay benefits to anyone any longer. So it comes down to helping yourself and not relying on the government for your existence because they will inevitably let you down.

People can act all rightous and talk about helping your fellow man and all stuff but it doesn't change the fact that there is no money left to keep paying people unemployment forever.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Here is a novel idea for the individuals collecting money for

unemployment work for that money you are receiving. These jobs could

easily be created in the private sector paid by the government who is

footing the bill anyway. Call it temporary employment. I forgot most will

not want to work for the trade off of money they would receive for

temporary work for unemployment checks.

I would love to get back to work, and would even do so for my unemployment check - as long as those wages are subject to the same standards as every other job in america.

My unemployment right now(currently not getting any) is not even on par with the federal minimum wage laws. Try living on that.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Federal funding of unemployment is unconstitutional.

Life is rough sometimes, but adding to the problem certainly doesnt help.

Eliminating one unconstitutional expenditure is a good start.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds
reply to post by amari

There used to be ideas like this, "Workhouses" and similar, but it never really works out in reality. If the government doesn't have money to pay benefits, then it also doesn't have money for "make work" useless schemes to keep people busy. If the workless are made to work for companies, then you're just shifting the problem around, someone else will lose out because of that. Also it's a troubling interference in the natural scheme of giving the job to the best person, and is a kind of backdoor to less than minimum wage workers displacing the already poor minimum wage workers.

The government seems to just do all the wrong ideas. I heard the other day they want to increase the retirement age to 70. Meaning, people staying in jobs for even longer, and even less jobs opening up for young people.

One idea I think could work, is stop the prison labor. A huge percentage of the USA's domestic goods are made by prisoners. If they stopped that, those jobs could go to regular folks, although this might not be any kind of silver bullet, as the reason prison labor is used so intensively, is to compete with countries like China/India.

Stopping prison labor, and increasing Import tarriffs to stop some of those cheap non-USA made goods might work though.

[edit on 30/6/2010 by harpsounds]

In the beginning the government had the money to pay for people working but

back when, workhouses were government run programs and not

private sector jobs. Very seldom do government controlled and run

programs work. ^Y^

[edit on 30-6-2010 by amari]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Federal funding of unemployment is unconstitutional. Life is rough sometimes, but adding to the problem certainly doesnt help. Eliminating one unconstitutional expenditure is a good start.

there's plenty of unconstitutional laws on the books being enforced every day - hell there are entire government institutions and offices devoted to carrying out unlawful and unconstitutional laws.

i'd say cutting the billions in foreign aid and trillions in war spending would be a good start. as well as the abolition of the dea, irs, and the fed, all unconstitutional institutions.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

So allowing more of them is the answer?

Absolutely not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join