It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

www.cnn.com

Unemployment benefits are set to run dry for 1.2 million people nationwide Friday after the U.S. Senate decided not to extend a deadline to file for these benefits last week, according to the National Employment Law Project.
Come Saturday, the number of people cut from unemployment benefits will surge to 1.63 million, according to U.S. Department of Labor estimates. By mid-July, about 2 million unemployed Americans could lose their benefits.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Two million people will have their unemployment benefits stopped by mid-July. Thats a lot of unfortunate people that have run out of options. I guess they will have to go work for minimun wage somewhere just to survive.

While I do believe some of these people have been actively looking for work, I know there are many that are just milking the system for all they can get. I think this will force some of these people to actually go out and look for work. I know many people that aren't motivated to go look for work because they are collecting unemployment. They feel like its not worth working for peanuts if the government is willing to pay people to not work for up to 99 weeks.

If you can't find work after a year and a half around where you live then its time to move.

Regardless of my opinion there is no doubt that 2 million people with no income will hurt the economy. That's 2 million people not spending any money in our consumer driven economy.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
yeah this will make a dent in the economy, also what do you think 1.2 million people with no job that are hungry will do with there free time?

I'd say raid hell and or steal etc..

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why are we so concerned about keeping this fragile economy going? Its a big black hole. You put money into it by spending, but what you get out of it is only a fraction of what went in.
Paying to keep the rich even richer because "Were screwed if we dont"
We are screwed if we do.

There are bound to be other rough patches as time goes on, the only thing that will change this is a change in money flow. Capitalism, this cycle of debt is serving no one. We cannot buy ourselves out of this so why are we trying?
You've seen it for yourselves, the media brag about "ressession" and then big bussiness go and announce "record profits" What aload of PSH.
If the economy fails this time we will inevitably suffer.
If it survives? No doubt the next generation will suffer.
Because as long as this system is in place it is a time-bomb waiting to go off.
So why the hell shoud we continue to buy ourselves out of this? We are doing nothing but PRESERVING AN UNFAIR SYSTEM THAT DOES.NOT.WORK.

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

If you can't find work after a year and a half around where you live then its time to move.

Yes, thats a wonderful solution. Just move. Sell your house that is now worth more than you paid for it, and move. Oh wait, no one wants to buy it? Hmmm. Or for those who are not homeowners, come up with all the necessary cash to move while you are unemployed. Do you think moving is cheap?

Do you think renting an apartment or a house while unemployed is easy? As a landlord would YOU rent to someone with no source of income? And risk having to lose months of income yourself to evict them for non-payment? Really?

Where do you live? I want to move to "unreality land" too. Sounds ideal there.

Mind you, I am not in that position, so I am not "whining for my own sake" but I am experienced enough with moving in general to know that "just move" is only easy for young adults whose belongings can fit into a duffel bag and who dont mind sleeping in a park or a hostel until they get a job and can rent a place.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Erasurehead

Yes, thats a wonderful solution. Just move. Sell your house that is now worth more than you paid for it, and move. Oh wait, no one wants to buy it? Hmmm. Or for those who are not homeowners, come up with all the necessary cash to move while you are unemployed. Do you think moving is cheap?

Do you think renting an apartment or a house while unemployed is easy? As a landlord would YOU rent to someone with no source of income? And risk having to lose months of income yourself to evict them for non-payment? Really?

Where do you live? I want to move to "unreality land" too. Sounds ideal there.

Mind you, I am not in that position, so I am not "whining for my own sake" but I am experienced enough with moving in general to know that "just move" is only easy for young adults whose belongings can fit into a duffel bag and who dont mind sleeping in a park or a hostel until they get a job and can rent a place.

Yes move. You are out of money and can't find a job so your house will be gone soon anyway. Walk away if you're underwater on the loan. You can find a job somewhere else and THEN move so the landlord would have no problem renting to you. It takes a little work thats all. Look at you making excuses. Yes it would be HARD!!! God forbid you have to work at bettering your situation.

Is your solution is to provide unemployment benefits to everyone indefinitely so you can keep your stuff? That kind of thinking is what got us into this financial mess in the first place. Everyone feels entitled, like the government owes them something.

How long do you stick around then, 3 years maybe 5 living off government benefits until you would finally think maybe its time to move?

BTW.. I'm not a young adult that can easily move. I have a house and a family to take care of. I would move my whole family before I would ever accept living off the government for years.

Unemployment benefits are fine for a few months up to a year maybe. Everyone that works pays into it so you are entitled to it. But to make it an indefinite thing only makes things worse in my opion.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
yeah this will make a dent in the economy, also what do you think 1.2 million people with no job that are hungry will do with there free time?

I'd say raid hell and or steal etc..

You bring up a good point. It 2 million people out of options and desperate. No doubt some will turn to crime.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
she must be getting something otherwise she would be dead.

1.2 million isn't a big number for the us, I wonder how many americans work and claim??? think about it

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

And nobody cares until they, themselves are individually affected.

This is happening because the majority of people do not truely empathize with their fellow man.

Everyone "not yet affected" sits comfortfully back thinking "this could never happen to me", "I don't care".

Well, the storm is just starting to brew and what affects one of us affects all of us.

That is the major lesson our souls are here to learn.

We are all a part of the one.

And what happens to one of us, will affect all of us.

I donate some time here and there to a "soup kitchen" and a few years ago it was just the crazies, drug addicts and people who "wouldn't fit into the round hole designated".

Now, it's starting to hit the average person.

I talk to them, I greet them, I serve them meals and it's now beginning to affect the average, work 9-5 person, whose job has been outsourced.

Many of these people want to work.

There are no jobs out there.

Until people stand up for what is right and defend their fellow human beings this situation will continue to get worse.

You are either a Service to Self or Service to Others.

Light / dark.

The time to get off the fence is now.

The fence is desolving.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

1.2 million isn't a big number for the us

No, it's not a big number unless it is you.

And I have news for you, from what I am seeing the number is larger.

Donate some time to a Food Pantry or any Food Outreach Center.

Tip of the iceberg.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

we don't have food shacks in the uk just salvation army.

everybody around me works and claims benefit there is not one person on benefit i know that isn't also working.

I am unemployed and have to watch other people raking it in and claiming.

greed greed greed.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I am not really concerned with keeping the economy going. To be honest it already died in 2008. Its just been artifically kept going with government funny money that they just printed out of thin air. None of the underlying flaws in the system that caused the economic collapse of the western world have been addressed, its business as usual for the banksters and politicians.

Time is running short, all that fake money that the federal government printed has been consumed. Soon the USA will be approaching Greek levels of debt vs. GDP and severe measures will be put in place. There will be riots and chaos when it all finally comes crumbing down. I am prepared for it so I am not worried. People that depend in the government to live are the ones that need to worry. They are the ones that will be left with nothing when the government can't provide that check for them. I am sure the government will provide some sweet tent city camps to go live in so no worries.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Erasurehead]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The “baby boom bubble” is getting older. We’ll see less and less workers compared to those who expect benefits. What if Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid fail?

www.greenpacks.org...
Should we blame this kid?

We’re in this together, folks. If we don’t see some type of health care reform, how prevalent will this be?

ShareThis

September 23rd, 2009 | Category: Health Care Reform | 7 comments
7 comments to No health care reform, more starving in America?
Minnesota Central
September 24th, 2009 at 10:09 pm · Reply
FYI : The U.S. Census Bureau released it’s Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States for 2008 report earlier this month.
Key highlights (or lowlights) :
— The nation’s official poverty rate in 2008 was 13.2 percent, up from 12.5 percent in 2007. There were 39.8 million people in poverty in 2008, up from 37.3 million in 2007. The Midwest poverty rate increased to 12.4 percent (8.1 million) in 2008, up from 11.1 percent (7.2 million) in 2007

— Meanwhile, the number of people without health insurance coverage rose from 45.7 million in 2007 to 46.3 million in 2008.

— Real median household income in the United States fell 3.6 percent between 2007 and 2008, from $52,163 to $50,303. The real median earnings of men who worked full time, year-round declined by 1.0 percent between 2007 and 2008, from $46,846 to $46,367. For women, the corresponding drop was 1.9 percent, from $36,451 to $35,745.

OK, so the trendline is going in the wrong direction, yet that is something that is correctable.

The greater concern is obesity. That is also on the rise … dangerously so … and has a more direct impact on healthcare costs. Obesity is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, certain types of cancer, and type 2 diabetes. These are already impacting our healthcare costs today. In Minnesota, 24.3% of the state’s citizens are considered obese. This problem requires individual control .. and individual choice.

How can America address both these problems that are at the opposite ends of each other ?

Source:www.google.com...://hollycairns.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/normal_nohcr1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hollycairns.com/%3Fp%3 D381&usg=__29JKUNmtPmOWfA33fmzdN5N41Pg=&h=318&w=450&sz=36&hl=en&start=2&sig2=NySu5AJxsvca12GhZr3F-A&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=8BLtMZ-4CTmKoM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=127 &prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstarving%2Bin%2Bamerica%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=i-QrTNCUEdKQnAeOr4nFCQ

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7b1970dc6d9.jpg[/atsimg]

There is no excuse for a fellow human being like this. None.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

good luck.

TPTB are getting richer by the second, while the rest of us dogs sit at the kings table and fight over the scraps.

Know your enemy.

Read my location.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You know here's a novel idea.

Get a job.

Look I don't care who you are, what your qualifications or non qualifications are, eduction etc..

You CAN get a job almost anywhere, even if it's minimum wage, who cares? At least your bringing home something.

I think the unemployment rate also has to do with a person's pride, some people just refuse to get a job that's not in their field or that they feel like they are too good to work at McDonalds or Starbucks.

The truth is, these would only be temporary anyway.

People need to leave their pride behind and look for ANY job that provides ANY sort of income.

This is not however to say that there are some who jsut can't find a job, because fundementally there are those for which there just are NO jobs.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I in fact used to be and was sacked when I asked for a transfer to another part of the country, now I can't re apply.

I have searched high and low for a job for any kind of money.

and zilch that comment was unfair.

I WOULD GET A JOB DOING ANYTHING FOR MONEY APART FROM ILLEGAL STUFF

[edit on 30-6-2010 by jumpingbeanz]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Like I said, I'm sure there are some individuals like yourself who can't find any positions.

But do you live in a rural area or in an urban area? Location is also a big factor in unemployment rates.

And the comment is fair. There's no way that all of these 2 million people can't find employment. Minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen.

Shoe stores, clothing stores, restaurants etc.. All have a HUGE turnover rate for employees. Most don't stay 6 months in these jobs. Therefore there are openings somewhere for something that these people could get.

Not all of them, and probably not most of them, but SOME of them certainly could.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/30/2010 by tothetenthpower]

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Get a job.

The total corporate kool aid drinker.

Get a job, while half the "jobs" are being outsourced.

You are totally heartless and clueless.

Wait, once this affects YOU - You will be concerned.

Simply thing of Service to Self and to hell with everyone else.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Get a job.

The total corporate kool aid drinker.

Get a job, while half the "jobs" are being outsourced.

You are totally heartless and clueless.

Wait, once this affects YOU - You will be concerned.

Simply thing of Service to Self and to hell with everyone else.

I actually employ QUITE the large number of people , I pay them very good wages and provide excellent benefits.

I won't address your baseless insults.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/30/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The welfare system in general is completely flawed. Instead of just sending people off on their own or to a job coaching centre to find work in an unrealistic way, they should contract companies to come in to hire whoever applies for welfare. You could collect unemployment while you are on a waiting list to be hired. There are tons of jobs that require no skills or education, or brains at all for that matter, and those companies that hire for jobs like that should be FORCED to accept the unemployed who are on assistance. The jobs offered to you should be within your capabilities. If the person doesn't work out with the company that hired them, they can fire them back to welfare. At least that way there would be more people in the workforce, and they would be able to make out the people who are just abusing the system and penalize them accordingly.

After being on welfare for as long as I have, it's becoming apparent that the system is designed to keep people unemployed. As weird as that sounds, I'm really starting to believe it. They don't really "help" people. They send you to job coaching places that are full of people who wouldn't have their job if it wasn't for the massive number of unemployed people, telling you that they want to "help you find work", but they don't even give people McDonald's applications because "Who wants to work at McDonalds??" They question you, "What would you really like to do with your life?", and encourage you to apply for jobs that are unlikely. I was looked at like I was crazy when I told them I wanted my FoodSafe certificate so that I had more chances being hired for fast food. "As long as it's just for a job, because you want more money", I was told.

They insist that they have their "professional resume writer" write everyone's resumes, but what does it show an employer when they see that an applicant can't even write their own resume? The "professional resume writer" uses the same resume layout for everyone's resume, so really it just looks like the generic welfare-brand resume. Obviously, the people who hand out the most resumes are the unemployed. The unemployed who are on welfare are sent to them, so you're recognizable as being on assistance immediately by your resume layout (and let's not even mention what it says about you, besides that and being unemployed). I bet there are employers that just automatically scrap all the "welfare-brand resumes".

If I follow their advice, I will keep going back to them forever. They'd never admit it, but that is, of course, what they really want. They are employment "counselors", so logically it stands to reason that if all the unemployed found employment, they would end up finding themselves without their employment. It seems that the secret to success in this economy is to take advantage of those less fortunate than yourself, and if you can't do that, then you will be taken advantage of. If you profit, you profit from the people in a lower income bracket than yourself.

My true belief is that this can't continue for a long period of time. 1.63 million people are going to be seriously pissed off soon, and the system will change, because you can't have that many people calling for change and then have nothing happen. Even if THEY don't change it, the 1.63 million people will change something, somehow.

I'm sorry I ranted, but this unemployment/welfare thing is an issue I am quite passionate about, and I know other people here understand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join