It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Are you tired poor and in a huddled mess is there no jobs out there that are remotely sustainable. Are you sick of getting a job well listen to what this dude has to say it seems he has the perfect answer for himself and if it works for you then give it a shot if not its interesting none the less. He makes some good points into the flaws of the job system.

www.stevepavlina.com... ver-get-a-job/

He is living in another bubble that is just beginning, so his time will come for being jobless, its going to suck when the only thing he can do is write
Or if that does not work well since there is going to be a million people without work. Do what other generations of the past did. Go to war and take other peoples stuff, or even better there are lots of people that have stuff in America or even Canada take there stuff. Eat the rich they got nice and fat of the people, time to take a little back. Round and Round we go.
In all seriousness do what you must, thats the only thing one can do when there time comes.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

In the meantime I use my time to help my Mom and husband in any way that I can. I am making jewley and hope to sell it eventually. I meditate and take one day at a time, read, spend time out in nature etc.

This is possibly the best way out of this mess for most people, developing some form of entrepreneurial spirit and utilizing any talent or gift or ability you have to provide a marketable service or a sellable product.

Being dependent on the government and corporations is nothing short of slavery and slow death.

There is no limit to what a person can do for themselves if they put their mind and talent to work for themselves.

No one is going to pay you what you are worth but you.

No matter whom you are, or what your talents are, there is something you can do or make that you can market and sell to others.

No, you can’t afford the start up costs for a restaurant but you can likely afford to buy some sandwich meat, sodas and chips and make some boxed lunches to sell at a construction site, car dealership, or similar type of business that the employees can’t leave or hate to leave, but would jump at the chance for a home made sandwich or piece of chicken for 5.00!

No, you can’t afford the start up costs for a bar but there are plenty of people willing to buy a bottle of water from a vendor with a iced cooler full of them.

No, you can’t afford to open a flower shop but there are plenty of businesses that would buy them from you if you walked in, and plenty of people who would pull over at the side of the road to do so.

No, you can’t even afford 25.00 or 50.00 dollars for that? Good news, you can collect fruit fallen from trees on the right of way to make juice or salads.

There are literally dozens of different things people can do from mowing lawns, to freelancing computer and office skills, accounting skills, advertising skills, etc., etc. by getting out there and offering those services to companies and people looking to make a buck.

I see immigrants come here all the time from other countries with nothing, knowing no one, who do all these things and more, and they make money, they end up with a roof over their head, and if they work hard and hustle they often turn those little coolers and stands, and businesses over time, into real restaurants, catering trucks, brick and mortar stores and offices.

No you won’t make a whole lot of money at first, but a little bit of something is a whole lot better than a lot of nothing.
In time though if you stick with it, watch your costs, are nice to your customers, and provide a good product or service your little self employed one person business can and will grow.

Entrepreneurship is what made America great, and we have lost that innovation of spirit to instead become mindless workers, willing to work for non-living, non-competitive wages, or to seek assistance from the government when we can’t find that.

Put yourself to work for yourself, and unless you have serious issues with yourself, you will never be fired or unemployed ever again.

There is hope, not from the government, not from the corporations, but from the person in the mirror.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Just go find work, eh? Thats not easy when about 20 to 30 people show up for a SINGLE opening! You may sit nice and comfy with your security, and say to people to just go move, just go get a job....there are folks who were working their butts off for companies for many years, the company goes down, and now they cant get unemployment extensions (after all those years of paying into it I might add). And a gentleman I know who worked so many years retired, then the major company he was working for shut down...he is scared wondering if his retirement checks will stop coming---how does the checks keep coming for the retired if the company is gone?

Too many people not only lost their jobs, but their homes, businesses, etc.

I do know alot of people were lazy and used unemployment as a free ride, but during this time, people who HAD a job, lost it, and were not sitting on their rears being lazy.
My house I purchased a few years ago was $400,000. It is worth now, $280,000. dont give people that bullcrap that they can just move or walk away from a home they will just lose anyway....some of us busted our butts to get the home we have (a lifetime) and busted more butt turning a literal high grass field into a beautiful useful land. If I have to walk away from all this, I will destroy the entire property first.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

What people dont understand is this is not welfare. People had to pay into a system and hold down a job to get these benefits.

But many refuse to see what this really means. So I will say it again when the benefits stop watch out. People are going to be pissed off when they loose everything. And it could bring down the system.

Think about it all this money goes towards paying bills and mortgages. The people who still have jobs will not be working them for much longer. This truly is a SHTF scenerio.

This makes the oil leak look like child's play. This touches people in their homes. This is really bad.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You make alot of sincere sense. I am hoping many can use their talents, etc to bring in some kind of money. I myself have basically enough to just clear my bills and feed the family, and unfortunately dont have the extra money to buy something someone handcrafted, etc.....Many people are having to spend out of neccesity, and cannot support the craftspeople, etc, eventhough we wish we could...a few years ago, I spend alot on neat things people made and good services they were offering, but not now. It is hard on everyone in some way or other.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

yeah, when everything comes to a halt for the forced poor, we all will have to wear a cow bell around our necks (or RFID)..

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
portland.craigslist.org...

There ya go...Craigslist is a wonderful tool....and in my opinion so is anyone who won't consider a job that pays less than the last one they had.

I am self employed...I make a quarter of what I did 3 years ago.

I have learned to adapt, and get by. If that stops working, I know how to stack box's in a warehouse...quick search on the ol' craigslist in my local area.. 190 job openings found on first search under term 'warehouse' that's plenty...cause I don't mind making less than $50k a year...at least it is money earned, not handed out.

YAY for the END of extended, longterm unemployment benefits...MAKE America GO back to WORK.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
portland.craigslist.org...

There ya go...Craigslist is a wonderful tool....and in my opinion so is anyone who won't consider a job that pays less than the last one they had.

I am self employed...I make a quarter of what I did 3 years ago.

I have learned to adapt, and get by. If that stops working, I know how to stack box's in a warehouse...quick search on the ol' craigslist in my local area.. 190 job openings found on first search under term 'warehouse' that's plenty...cause I don't mind making less than $50k a year...at least it is money earned, not handed out.

YAY for the END of extended, longterm unemployment benefits...MAKE America GO back to WORK.

I wish ATS had a simple intelligence test to weed people like you out no offense.

I know this is going to sound harsh no matter how I put it so here I go either you are utterly stupid to the world around you or well I guess it must be the first one I am sorry for you.

America must just go and get a job.
What exactly were the people doing before collecting unemployment? This is not welfare. This is a system of payment that you have to earn. And I hate to tell you the job market is toast. And the only thing holding people above water is this safety net they earned. So get off your high horse and see the truth.

And I would love for you to post a link to the 40 thousand dollar a year box stacking gig. Dont believe everything you read on craigslist it is full of scamers looking for simple minded people.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Referring to the OP. You are concerned that with 2million people having benefits stopped that will be 2million people not spending. You are worried about the economics of this situation.

You really have no idea what is right around the corner.

My friend you are in for one serious shock.

Go back to sleep for now.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Wait, why do 1.2 million people need to struggle to survive ? Is there not enough food, shelter, useful basic items for all ? Of course there is, and - produced by only a few people, because of our inventions. But I forgot - there is no "us". Else - how can "we" have nuclear submarines - and people with no home ? Maybe - we need to work more, more ! Until everyone has a home ! hahahah If that was our purpose - it would have been accomplished long ago. There is no "us". This is a prison.

A madhouse. See my signature. Some "economist" said "let's demolish the empty homes" so we can work on building new ones again, and have jobs ! Is this a madhouse or what ?

Search "Scribd", search "My Ishmael", see page 24.

Some of my threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You make alot of sincere sense. I am hoping many can use their talents, etc to bring in some kind of money. I myself have basically enough to just clear my bills and feed the family, and unfortunately dont have the extra money to buy something someone handcrafted, etc.....Many people are having to spend out of neccesity, and cannot support the craftspeople, etc, eventhough we wish we could...a few years ago, I spend alot on neat things people made and good services they were offering, but not now. It is hard on everyone in some way or other.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is true of many people, but think of all the people who are working and making good money. They are the ones who will hopefully buy your products. Also many people who have little to spend, will still spend for birthdays, weddings and other special occasions where they will purchase items. Besides jewelry, i will be making cards. bookmarks etc. I have been pressing flowers from the garden so I can use them in my crafts. If it doesn't cost me much to make, I'm not going to charge the customer alot.

Look at all the people spending money on e-bay or etsy etc. Someone somewhere has money and they are spending it. You could sell on consignment in nice little shops. Though the shops will take a percentage, that is where people go to spend money, the shop. So that is another option.

While you are being careful with money, shop in second hand or dollar stores. I have purchased real crystal glasses for cheap, expensive clothing for cheap etc. You would be amazed at what you might find. I once purchased a 32.00 hard cover book in perfect condition for 3.00 !!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is sad. Not everyone can get a job right away. If you're over 50, the chances of finding any work are pretty damn slim.

I'm sorry, but America is a heartless country; a system which needs to fail and collapse.

I don't understand how a country can have perversely rich people and yet you will let fellow humans fight for survival on the streets without any care.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
That's my GIRL!!!!!!!! My GF is about to lose her unemployment and she has been looking for work 2 years! She has two kids! THe way people treat michigan and other unemployed states

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Good ol' Republicans.

The Republicans AZZ RAPE the American-worker AGAIN!!!!! This is their reward to the countless amount of folks out there who have worked their ENTIRE lifetime paying TONS in TAXES out of their PAY so that they WOULD HAVE this DESPERATELY NEEDED ASSISTANCE in case our economy went down the drain.

Screw the American workers, rape the middle-class, and then send our CHILDREN off to WAR to be KILLED, good ol' republicans!!

Then after raping us and killing off our children, we cant even get a kiss out of them as they are too busy sucking face with the WEALTHY!!!

REPUBLICANS AND THEIR SUPPORTERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I read the run-up to the killing of that bill in several newspapers.

I can only desperately hope people will realize WHO actually killed that bill, come November.

I doubt it however. A lot of voters choose to shoot themselves in the foot with alarming regularity.

Indeed, as someone already stated: What are 1.6 million poor jobless people with plenty spare time and free access to firearms gonna do?
I bet that in a short while the gun-lobby will be bloody sorry they bought off the supreme court.

What is more dangerous than millions of angry poor people? Answer: Angry poor people with guns, knowing where their money and savings went, and eying rich people......

[edit on 7/1/2010 by diakrite]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

And the comment is fair. There's no way that all of these 2 million people can't find employment. Minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen.

Shoe stores, clothing stores, restaurants etc.. All have a HUGE turnover rate for employees. Most don't stay 6 months in these jobs. Therefore there are openings somewhere for something that these people could get.

I don't mean to interject here, but I have to stick up for jumping beanz, you have no idea what the employment rates are like over here in the UK. The jobs you mentioned are mostly held by students, who will hold onto that job for however many years they are in education, people nearing retirement, who will try to keep that job until they retire or immigrants. They don't come up too often.

I myself took a crap job over 2 years ago, with the hopes it would pay the bills until I could find something in my field. I'm still doing the same job, because there is simply very little out there and it only just pays the bills! The last job I applied for, there were 150 applicants in one day!

As for "simply" moving away, it is not always an option. I am the soul carer for my 75 year old, disabled father. Should I make him move too, so I can still take care of him?

Life is rarely as black and white as you see it.

ETA:
Oh yeah, they just laid off 85 people where I work, with another 100 jobs at risk, so JB I might be joining you in that dole queue in a month or so...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
time ran out on unemployment?

Thats odd...i literally see help wanted signs, EVERY DAY, in the local fast food restaurants and walmarts.

It may not be the luxurious desk job they had last, where they got paid 6 figures to set at their desk playing solitaire and alt-tabbing to a spreadsheet when a coworker gets close

But it's at least better than setting on your ass doing nothing.

There ARE jobs to be had. It's just some people feel that they're too good to do them.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Why are we so concerned about keeping this fragile economy going? Its a big black hole. You put money into it by spending, but what you get out of it is only a fraction of what went in.
Paying to keep the rich even richer because "Were screwed if we dont"
We are screwed if we do.

There are bound to be other rough patches as time goes on, the only thing that will change this is a change in money flow. Capitalism, this cycle of debt is serving no one. We cannot buy ourselves out of this so why are we trying?
You've seen it for yourselves, the media brag about "ressession" and then big bussiness go and announce "record profits" What aload of PSH.
If the economy fails this time we will inevitably suffer.
If it survives? No doubt the next generation will suffer.
Because as long as this system is in place it is a time-bomb waiting to go off.
So why the hell shoud we continue to buy ourselves out of this? We are doing nothing but PRESERVING AN UNFAIR SYSTEM THAT DOES.NOT.WORK.

Precisely. While some uber powerful software of Goldman Sachs does high frequency trading in the market and the MSM cheerleaders rejoice at the sight of Dow Jones ending in green, facts on the ground seem to suggest otherwise. However, the sheeple wouldn't be affected by it because MSM says that economy is recovering. It is a "bail out based" market economy instead of "free market" economy.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

What people dont understand is this is not welfare. People had to pay into a system and hold down a job to get these benefits.

But many refuse to see what this really means. So I will say it again when the benefits stop watch out. People are going to be pissed off when they loose everything. And it could bring down the system.

Think about it all this money goes towards paying bills and mortgages. The people who still have jobs will not be working them for much longer. This truly is a SHTF scenerio.

This makes the oil leak look like child's play. This touches people in their homes. This is really bad.

I don't undeerstand where people say they have been paying all these years to get these benefits.

Unemployment insurance is paid by your employer. Nothing you pay or have deducted goes directly towards unemployment insurance. Unemployment insurance is not the same as Social Security. Employees do pay into SS.

So, I do not understand your :puzz:

Unemployment insurance is an insurance policy that your employer pays in to, to protect themselves from having to pay your paycheck if they get to a point where they can no longer afford to employ you due to no fault of your own.

Think of it as health insurance for companies. The only payment you make to this is in Federal Income taxes, so making the claim that you have rights to it, and rights to extensions is well, living off the rest of the country, so in a sense it is welfare. Technically, it is not any different.

If, on the other hand, you are meaning pension plans, that's a bit different story and not anything to do with the topic..

I do agree however, that when the unemployment checks stop, it is going to be trouble.

Same as when the welfare checks stop, and free lunches stop, and Social Security checks stop, and eventually when the pension checks and union pension checks stop.

Then, and only then, will the feet beat the street.

This is the downside to having a nanny government where the people depend upon it for support, instead of taking care of themselves.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Referring to the OP. You are concerned that with 2million people having benefits stopped that will be 2million people not spending. You are worried about the economics of this situation.

You really have no idea what is right around the corner.

My friend you are in for one serious shock.

Go back to sleep for now.

No I am not concerned. The economy is already dead. Please read the entire thread before commenting. WIDE AWAKE here. I know what's coming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join