It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
the 1.2 million people lost their benefits because

the U.S. Senate decided not to extend a deadline to file for these benefits

There was a deadline that did not get extended. In order to receive the benefits, you must file before that deadline. The Senate decided NOT TO EXTEND A DEADLINE TO FILE FOR THESE BENEFITS..... So if you missed the first deadline, they didn't say "oh ok, well, they missed the deadline, let's just extend that deadline till next week" They said, "Oh, these people failed to file for benefits and now they don't get them"

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by gopher mines

There was a deadline that did not get extended. In order to receive the benefits, you must file before that deadline. The Senate decided NOT TO EXTEND A DEADLINE TO FILE FOR THESE BENEFITS..... So if you missed the first deadline, they didn't say "oh ok, well, they missed the deadline, let's just extend that deadline till next week" They said, "Oh, these people failed to file for benefits and now they don't get them"

The point is not that they failed to file for the benefit. I really dont know how I can explain this to you. This is about funding and yes time does matter but people are not getting screwed because they are failing to apply.

Unemployment works on tiers of benefits. You get the tier you are in but when it runs out so does your benefit. Because they have not passed the funding for it.

So you could be in tier 4 or 3 and lose the benefit do you understand?

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Originally posted by gopher mines

The point is not that they failed to file for the benefit. I really dont know how I can explain this to you. This is about funding and yes time does matter but people are not getting screwed because they are failing to apply.

Unemployment works on tiers of benefits. You get the tier you are in but when it runs out so does your benefit. Because they have not passed the funding for it.

So you could be in tier 4 or 3 and lose the benefit do you understand?

Seriously, you're off track here man.

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed an unemployment extension measure that will extend the deadline for unemployed Americans to file for jobless benefits. The unemployment bill extends the deadline to file for unemployment extension benefits through November.

House Passes Unemployment Extension

The house passed the bill, the senate did not.

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed an unemployment extension measure that will extend the deadline for unemployed Americans to file for jobless benefits. The unemployment bill extends the deadline to file for unemployment extension benefits through November.

It's a deadline to FILE FOR BENEFITS.
They DID NOT extend THE DEADLINE.
If you didn't file for benefits before the deadline, then you don't continue to get them, what is so hard for you to understand?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
This is a completely different bill from the one you originally posted about here. You're getting the two mixed up.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gopher mines

I am not off track sadly you are no offense you are caught up on this issue and no matter how I try and explain it you are not going to see the light.

I will say it one more time this has to do with funding not people failing to file. It truly is that simple.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I apologize here, but it seems the mainstream media is blurring two separate bills into one huge story on how the jobless are losing their benefits. The story the OP linked to, deals with the extension of a deadline to file for benefits. Hence the whole rational conversation on my part, and the irrational blabber of tons of people who have the two bills confused. It's not your fault.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

It was a response to someone else.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
To all those who say: "Get a job, it's easy" - no, no it's not. There might well be lots of low paid jobs, but for skilled workers who have been made redundant, the average McDonalds-type job isn't going to employ them because they're over qualified.

To all those who say: "It will never happen to me" - you're wrong, it could do. Easily.

My hubby and I know from experience, we know what it's like to be made redundant from a job we always thought would be there, and to consequently have to sell a house that we thought we'd live in for the rest of our lives. Going from a secure, stable life to suddenly losing everything is like a shellshock, and comments like "just get a job" really don't help.

Sadly though when there are always people who milk the system and claim allthe benefits they can and never even try to work, it seems that everyone who's on benefits are lumped into the same 'lazy' category, and that's a shame.

Edited to get rid of a long-winded post

[edit on 3-7-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

the REALITY is that you dont have a say in whats going on all you can do is survive the best way you can.

Whose reality? We are supposed to have a say in the direction this country takes. The only reason we DONT have a say in the direction this country takes is because too many Americans have died (metaphorically) politically due to apathy. Which is promoted by people like you.

"There is nothing you can do, just suck it up. Dont try, dont fight it, just roll over and take it."

Are you really that brainwashed? Or is it deliberate disinfo? We can become politically active, we can fire our politicians and elect some third party candidates to send a strong message that this Neo Con agenda is not OUR agenda. We can slowly start wrestling corporatism under control. We arent helpless, except for the fact that we FEEL helpless, and that feeling of helplessness is carefully, and DELIBERATELY constructed and promoted by the very people who are screwing us.

All you are is a promoter of their cause, wittingly or unwittingly.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tappy

Sadly though when there are always people who milk the system and claim all the benefits they can and never even try to work, it seems that everyone who's on benefits are lumped into the same 'lazy' category, and that's a shame.

I completely agree. I've worked with a few very lazy people who kept their jobs because of connections while others lost theirs. These same lazy types will try to get over whether it's at work or on unemployment. It simply isn't fair to paint everyone with such a broad brush.

Where I live there's a lot of seasonal type work. Lay offs come with the seasons. Seasonal employers don't have to pay into workers comp and I imagine they don't contribute to UI. Most seasonal workers don't just sit home and enjoy the time off and it's not because they don't get UI. Believe it or not most people actually like to work. We turn up in other jobs all over. We have a commonality and simply enjoy each other.

We don't look down on each other when lay offs happen. We help each other find jobs. We pull together when people are having a hard time of it....a ride to work, a covered dish or a box of used clothes. People routinely take others in for a while. It's pretty common here.

I hope you and your hubby can find a way. I know when economic hardship hit us in the steel industry the only thing that saved us was leaving the area entirely. We didn't find high paying jobs but we found less job competition and a lower cost of living because the average wage is lower here.

I don't know if that could work if you carry a lot of debt. At the time we left it was steel workers who were hard hit not the entire nation. It would be far more challenging today. We have been down that road. Work ethic alone isn't always enough. A bit of luck comes into play and just being in the right place at the right time can be the key. People are trying to stay in their homes I can't fault them for that.

Another misconception concerning minimum wage jobs are the help wanted signs. Fast food restaurants etc. are very aware of the employee turn over. They like to keep a good supply of applications on hand. I can tell you from my own experience at those jobs when a position opens up the boss comes to us workers first for recommendations. So while those signs keep popping up in windows everywhere the real hiring is going on behind the scenes. Sometimes an application is not even on file until after the fact. It's word of mouth, a friend of a friend etc. I got a job when I went to the Dentist to pay my bill. I got a another job when a friend pointed me out to my future boss in the grocery store. I got another job at a daycare I used just because the owner liked my interaction with my son. Help wanted signs mean squat.

Good luck tappy things might get bleak but hold on to each other tight. We both agree we don't know how we would've made it without each other.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory
I hope you and your hubby can find a way. I know when economic hardship hit us in the steel industry the only thing that saved us was leaving the area entirely.

[color=C6AEC7]Thanks for your kind words
We are getting back on our feet now. Hubby got a job about 200 miles or so from where we were, so we upped sticks and moved. Now we are both working again. We were very lucky that we came out of it with no debts. Having to start over is hard, but we know we are better off than some others.

Good luck tappy things might get bleak but hold on to each other tight. We both agree we don't know how we would've made it without each other.

[color=C6AEC7]Me and hubby are the same. We get through things together

Hope you are doing ok too.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Around here there are hundreds of people applying for one opening for fast food places.

I just need to turn in my thesis to have my master's degree, but to get a job around here I have to obtain my high school diploma (long story) and pretend I never went to college and create a fake work history.

I have already applied everywhere around here and been turned down. I have to move far away from this place.

Months ago there was a new meijers opening. They had 220 openings. They had open interviews and about ten thousand applicants showed up. That's how bad the economy is around here. Of course official government statistics don't show that.

When I lost my last job I was not eligible for unemployment because I was only part-time. Around here places will only work you part time. My last job was at Wal-mart. They've got a policy of only working people part time now. And they'll only hire you as a temp. They'll keep getting rid of most of their temps and replacing with more temps to save on money. And if you temp for them too many times they blacklist you and claim you didn't want to stay when they're the ones who made the decision. Totally shady. Almost everyone I know who worked at Wal-mart ended up losing their jobs and Wal-mart replaced them with cheaper temp workers.

It's an employer's market now and they know it. They do not fear mistreating the employees.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tappy

We're keeping the bills paid and food on the table. We're ok for now. It's the hubby & I through thick and thin.

Moving is sometimes the only way but it's no guarantee. Mortgages can be the ball & chain that keep people from relocating. Imo it's also the reason some hold out hope for higher paying jobs. People know they simply can't make the house payment on minimum wage. Bankruptcy laws have changed people just can't walk away from debt. Wages will be garnished whether you work minimum wage or not. Seems hopeless for many.

We have let people park their campers on our land. We give them electric and water/food if needed. In exchange they help around the place and are often just good entertainment in this rural setting. Never has one person ever overstayed their welcome. We had one guy who slept on a couch in our garage. He wouldn't impose on our home. Another who was a traveling tattoo artist who paid for his stay by doing work on the hubby & I. He had a winnebago decked out with sterilizers the works. They often look us up when they're in the area. They become like family.

Lets not misplace our compassion or humanity for good people. I've met many good people who are out of work and just going through a tough time. Sometimes some breathing room is all they need. For some in this economy UI is the last hope before total ruin. Maybe they can get minimum wage jobs but they'll have to walk away from homes, cars etc. They would be little more than indentured servants trying to live off what's left after garnishment.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

[color=C6AEC7]Good to hear that you are managing, I think you and your husband have the right attitude to see you through.

Mortgages are very much a ball and chain, you are right. Hubby and I have decided we will probably never buy a house again, there is too much uncertainty financially at the moment (not to mention we cant afford it) and as we now know, owning your own home certainly doesnt mean you have stability and security. There is no way we want to go through the worry of repossession again. At least with renting, if we ever need to relocate again all we need to do is give one month notice.

Anyway that is probably enough about me

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

You sound like the guy in the bruce Hornsby song that walks past the old woman and just for fun says "get a job". :shk:

The recession killed off 7.9 million jobs. It's increasingly likely that many will never come back.

The government jobs report issued Friday shows that businesses have slowed their pace of hiring to a relative trickle.

"The job losses during the Great Recession were so off the chart, that even though we've gained about 600,000 private sector jobs back, we've got nearly 8 million jobs to go," said Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of Economic Cycle Research Institute.

Excluding temporary Census workers, the economy has added fewer than 100,000 jobs a month this year -- a much faster and stronger jobs recovery than occurred following the last two recessions in 2001 and 1991.

But even if that pace of hiring were to double immediately, it would take until 2013 to recapture the lost jobs. And the labor market very likely doesn't have years before it gets hit with the shock of the inevitable next economic downturn.

"It's virtually certain that the next recession will come before the job market has healed from the last recession," said Achuthan. (Read 'Stimulus: The big bang is over')

More frequent recessions: Despite signs of slowing economic growth, Achuthan is not predicting that the U.S. economy is about to fall into another downturn later this year.

But a combination of a slower growth and greater volatility is a prescription for as many as three recessions over the upcoming decade, he said.

"We've entered a era where the United States will see more frequent recessions than anyone is used to," Achuthan said.

One of the big problems is that many of workers who have lost jobs were in industries that are not likely to recover their former strength.

finance.yahoo.com...

All bolding mine.

Your condemnation is aimed at the wrong people.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tappy

Mortgages are very much a ball and chain, you are right. Hubby and I have decided we will probably never buy a house again, there is too much uncertainty financially at the moment (not to mention we cant afford it) and as we now know, owning your own home certainly doesnt mean you have stability and security.

So much for the American Dream. We got our home/land very cheap that's the only reason we're still in it. I simply can't find it in my heart to blame the working class for this mess. The blame should be on those we trusted while we were off working/paying steadily increasing bills. The ball has been dropped right on the working class. Of course those running things want us to blame each other instead of them. Doesn't work for me though after living the country life I know when I smell a big fat rat.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

the REALITY is that you dont have a say in whats going on all you can do is survive the best way you can.

Whose reality? We are supposed to have a say in the direction this country takes. The only reason we DONT have a say in the direction this country takes is because too many Americans have died (metaphorically) politically due to apathy. Which is promoted by people like you.

"There is nothing you can do, just suck it up. Dont try, dont fight it, just roll over and take it."

Are you really that brainwashed? Or is it deliberate disinfo? We can become politically
active, we can fire our politicians and elect some third party candidates to send a strong message that this Neo Con agenda is not OUR agenda. We can slowly start wrestling corporatism under control. We arent helpless, except for the fact that we FEEL helpless, and that feeling of helplessness is carefully, and DELIBERATELY constructed and promoted by the very people who are screwing us.

All you are is a promoter of their cause, wittingly or unwittingly.

Then by all means change the system and free yourself. What are you doing posting in here you should be out in the street. Dreams are nice but the problem with dreams is eventually you have to wake up. And when you do you will realize when you take out a tyrant 2 jump in to take their place. I think it is you who is living in an utopian fantasy. Are you seriously incapable of seeing the scope of this thing. It's a self perpetuating monster that knows no bounds. It's intangible. You can't actually touch it. It's ideas. It's greed. It's all that and more. In order to change the world we have to change ourselves. And that I belive is why it won't happen. Because nobody wants to change. Everyday when a person wakes up from the time they jump out of bed till they fall back in to it, they have a choice how they live their lives. And everyday the majority choose greed and self gratification. So all you have to do is change the way people think. That means fighting the mega corporations the mass media corrupt politics and the organised mafias of the world. Sounds like your going to be a busy little bee. I wish you the best of luck. And I'm not being sarcastic.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I understand all too well what your saying and what it means. Anarchy is the only outcome that will free you. It is the natural cycle of things. Change is as agent smith said " it is inevitable ".

Instead of trying to stop the tide coming in just build a boat and don't worry about.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join