It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrants : Let’s Try Something Different ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I was thinking today, about the illegal immigrant situation here in America.
This thought popped into my head. Might sound crazy, but that’s why I’m
Presenting it to you ATS.

So America was founded by illegal immigrants, looking for something better, right?
We’re supposed to be a world leader, super power if you will. We’re supposed to
Help, be there for others, aren’t we? Isn’t this what America was founded on?

That being said, as American citizens shouldn’t we take the illegal immigration issue
Into our own hands?

By that I mean, shouldn’t we be trying to help the illegal immigrants? I know there are
Probably some that are here illegally and don’t want to be helped, but for those that do want the help, those that want to become legal and contribute, shouldn’t we help them?

This might sound like I’m crazy, but as I said, it just popped into my head today. What if
Each one of us, were to seek out an illegal immigrant and offer to take the time to show them what they need to do to become a legal citizen of the United States?

If we each got one illegal, or one family of illegal immigrants and helped them to learn to
Speak English, to learn the laws, helped them figure out where to go and how to apply to
Become legal, would it work?

I don’t have all the answers, never claimed to either, but this came to mind today, so I thought I’d pass it along to you, maybe it would work, maybe not, but it’s at least worth
Discussing, isn’t it?

I give you the floor.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
*sigh...

It is not the United States job to 'help' everyone in the world. It's that kind of thinking that has gotten us in the position we are in now.

If the population of illegal immigrants were sustainable, I'm sure there would be those who would be willing to help. However, I would place a strong bet on the fact that in certain areas there are more illegal immigrants now than legal residents.

There is a reason why legal immigration into this country is so difficult. No matter how close we are to the abyss, countries like Mexico paint the US as a utopia. This is the reason that a majority of the population from countries like that wish to immigrate to here.

The fact of the matter is that we cannot sustain those kinds of numbers and certainly cannot generations down the road sustain a people who value extremely large families regardless to whether or not they can afford it.

The business sector cannot grow at a rate fast enough to keep up and supply jobs as it is. Consolidation of markets - largely through superstores - have made it impossible for local businesses to compete. Throw in our constant outsourcing of manufacturing jobs, and you have a seriously strained situation.

It's not anything against one particular race at this point, for this discussion, it simply does not matter where any immigrant is from, the US cannot support what it's got. Get unemployment back to around 10-15% then we'll talk. Until then, if they're from Mexico, Ireland, Nigeria, or Antarctica they simply need to stay put.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by PayMeh]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
So you are asking me to adopt an illegal and help them when I can barely help myself?

Absolutely NOT!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Good points.

I'd just like to say, as humans, then, isn't it our jobs to help each other, regardless of race ?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Not adopt, just help.

What if there was an illegal family living close by you, you got to know them and find out that they really are "good people", however, they just needed help, maybe say, finding out the appropriate offices to go to in order to seek out legal status, wouldn't you want to help them do that one thing?

Thats all I'm saying.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Help an illegal alien become not an illegal alien...? Hmmm... I generally come down on the side of "ship 'em back". Still do, for the most part. But it's dawning on me that this issue isn't that simple...would that it were.

So long as our borders are as porous as they are, the problem isn't going to go away. ...and even if they were to suddenly become non-porous, we'd still be left with the problem of 20 million illegals in this country. Many of whom have children. Most of whom have jobs. Not all of them are drug running criminals.

So the question has been raised..."What to do". Military service in return for citizenship... Public service in return for citizenship... Yes, it amounts to amnesty to do either of those things...and amnesty is none too popular with folks these days...

Well, we can't round up that many people... So... Seems to me that giving them something, in return for getting something is an equitable solution. Not as newsworthy, perhaps, as "Send 'em back where they came from", but maybe better, in the long run, for our country.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thats a PollyAnna approach to the problem that wont work. Most of those illegal aliens shun our laws, disrespect our flag, and if they are ever in trouble just laugh it off and get deported and then sneak back over the border again, pure disrespect for this country and its laws.

link   
Tell you what, let's keep an eye on what happens in Maywood California and then we'll talk about it. This was the first "illegal friendly" city in the country. They have since busted the public treasury and let all city employees including the police department go.
There's a thread on it here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

The first european colonists in America were not illegal. There was no legal code that governed them in the new world. Hard to break laws where there are none.

As I understand it there is plenty of aid available to people here illegally - WIC/ADC/Food stamps/public education. All programs that they do not pay for.

link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Not adopt, just help.

What if there was an illegal family living close by you, you got to know them and find out that they really are "good people", however, they just needed help, maybe say, finding out the appropriate offices to go to in order to seek out legal status, wouldn't you want to help them do that one thing?

Thats all I'm saying.

If there were an Illegal family living next door to me, I would call ICE... If ICE won’t come then I will make their life’s Hell because they are making mine HELL, until the move. I would also help them by giving them a map to the nearest port of entry and wish them a good luck back in their home country...

There Illegal for a freaking reason, they broke the damn law getting here and you want us to help them over the people who are trying to do it the right way? Where is the sense in that?

If I choose to leave the US and I would apply for citizenship legally not just run into Canada and say oh look at me poor American, please help me… Or would I swim to France and Demand for English press 2.

link   
double post sorry.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Not adopt, just help.

Thats all I'm saying.

There have been illegal families living next to me and above me! No I don't want to help them because the illegal ones are usually the ones that can't do anything productive to help our economy. The don't care to speak English and expect ME to speak Spanish. The ones who are productive to our society were smart enough to get here legally on their OWN. It's not my job to help anyone let alone an illegal who is just gonna take more benefits and jobs away from me and I am a citizen but let me tell you after my day at the DMV I feel like I am not even in my own country anymore.

These people need to do this on their own. Why does everyone want this country to just let everyone and their entire family to come live here no questions asked? It's a nice idea Elev but it's not one I would ever support or do. I will help my fellow AMERICAN before I help an illegal, unless they were in life threatening danger then I would help if I could.

I want to live in France and I am gonna have to do it on my own without someone holding my hand. These are adults they don't need their hands held. I live in FL and see too much of the illegal immigrant issue and it angers me more and more each day.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They're all that, and some, more besides. Yet many of them are here because they came in search of something better.

In lieu of attempting to round them all up, 20 million remember, why not attempt to bring them into society so they can stand up without resorting to hiding. It's not a bad notion. Polly-Anna, or not...

The one's who refuse, or choose not to? Send 'em back to wherever... I don't see an issue with giving them an opportunity to be members of the society amongst which they live.

What's the alternative?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Again why should anything be given to them? It's not our problem where they were born. If you want a better life then you should work for it. I don't believe anything should be given to someone. You want something you earn it. They want to come here and have everything handed to them and have an instant better life, well life doesn't work that way! The illegals I have living next to me use to cut my roses when they bloomed, throw beer in my yard say vulgar things to me in Spanish...the ones that lived above me where I had to share a garage and washer/dryer with well they destroyed my antique sewing machine in the garage. They had no respect for anyone around them. There were about 10 people living in a TWO bedroom apt. They littered the yard and woke me up every Sunday at 7am with their Mexican music blasting. So no sorry, I won't be trying to help these people stay.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

duplicate

[edit on 6/28/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I live in GA and we have tons of illegals here. I have known and worked alongside many of them. The ones that I have known and good people looking to better themselves and their families. That being said, most of the illegals I have known are here illegally for a reason. They come here for a few years, make some money and go back home and live off the money that they made here for a few years. When the funds start running low they start the game over again. With the exchange rate the way it is in most countries south of the border they can live very well for several years on what they make here in 2-3 years. Hell I've thought about moving to a nice quiet latin american country when I retire. Take all my savings with me, convert it to the local currency and live out the remaining years of my life like a king. Maybe start a charter fishing boat business in Costa Rica or Belize for all the rich gringos

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

As a species, absolutely!

The problem is where do we draw the line? Do we allow the worlds population in? If not, how many more can we sustain without lowering the quality of life for everyone? Are we past that number? Can we take in 10 million more?

Hypothetically allowing continual immigration + normal population increases will create a situation of poverty resembling that which these people are fleeing to begin with.

There is no good answer, but it's like a lifeboat. You can either save 100 people from a sinking ship, or load it down with 500 people and let everyone perish taking the lifeboat down with it.

I wish I had a brilliant answer, but it's a problem the world's faced since the dawn of humanity, and I'm afraid it might never get a resolution.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

If you re-read my posts, you'll see I'm not saying "give" them anything. In return for their service, in what ever fashion, they have the opportunity to become citizens.

Give? No. But why not give them an opportunity to earn it?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, good stuff.

I'm not talking about trying to help all of them, just the ones who really want the help, want to get a job or go to school.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

If you re-read my posts, you'll see I'm not saying "give" them anything. In return for their service, in what ever fashion, they have the opportunity to become citizens.

Give? No. But why not give them an opportunity to earn it?

Ok well in that case yes, but there are those who think they should be "given" in the other terms a chance.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies, good stuff.

I'm not talking about trying to help all of them, just the ones who really want the help, want to get a job or go to school.

Well when it comes to school and jobs again citizens should be given this opportunity first. I have to struggle to get money for school because I can't check any of those oh so wonderful options that get me more money for being a minority such as Spanish. I am also tired of losing jobs to those who speak Spanish. Sorry but this is America we speak English, why should I have to learn another language to get a job when they don't even try to learn English?

This topic is a huge one for me because where I live illegals are a huge problem. I am tired of it honestly and just want them gone. They don't want to be productive members, it's been shown in their actions. If they really wanted to be here they would do it legally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join