It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Up to the Minute" BP Livefeed Discussion Thread

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesnifferI think the yellow box is a pressure reducing unit, perhaps used for the dispersant lines.

I think they refer to it as the accumulator.

When rigs are drilled on land or in very shallow water where the wellhead is above the water line, BOPs are activated by hydraulic pressure from a remote accumulator. Several control stations will be mounted around the rig. They also can be closed manually by turning large wheel-like handles.

Source

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
One of the ROVs got its umbilical cord stuck this morning and another ROV had to come to the rescue. Sped up for your viewing convenience.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hey guys. I have a general question that I'm sure someone here can answer. I admit to not being nearly into this disaster as most here. I became overwhelmed with the information early on, and decided that I'd stick to the big-picture aspects, while leaving all the details to the professionals.

Okay, so somewhere online someone is saying there are 3 leaks, and the media is only focusing on one of them. Well, I think this is bs. I recall initially that a mile long pipe was at the bottom of the ocean and was leaking in three different locations. Didn't they chop off this pipe at the BOP? Wouldn't this mean that there's only 1 leak now?

This guy is trying to say that the first leak has been capped, the second leak is being displayed, and another one isn't being discussed that's located 6 miles away
Is this guy mixing things up, or am I out of the loop?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

Thanks that was what I was thinking

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Is intervention III about to drill a new hole in the BOP?

Man, its going nuts down there!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
What the heck is Intervention doing? That yellow tool looks very much like a drill!? Perhaps installing a permanent corexit fitting???
Why drill under these wild conditions?

Hang on, looks more like a drill with a wire brush attachment... (live blogging here a bit)...

Confused

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Same question and I am not sure I am going to like the answer. Also we can clearly see the bop wobbling.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

That looks like a wire brush.
Usually used to clean metals before welding something to it.
I bet they are going to weld some kind of brace to it to stabilize the top hat. Just a guess.

[edit to add]
That looks like the welding gun [MIG] in the left hand of the ROV....They are going to weld something there.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Yep, your right, I thought it was, just trying to keep this thread up to date. I'd say your thoughts on welding a bracket mount could be spot on.

But why try under these conditions? Its looking brutal at the moment.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I really hope someone is recording right now. It is not looking good. I hope that brush or whatever is what has everything so stirred up right now.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

They have to somehow "chain down" the top hat
before it breaks loose. that is what I strongly suspect.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GATruthseeker

Me too. I dont know how, nor is my net quality much reliable.
Can you record??

Intervention dropped the drill momentarily, they turned it on while it was touching the bop and it flicked out. Its back in control of it again now though.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just noticed, the rubber O ring, sitting on top of the bop bolts, had a complete tear in it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Chaining down the top hat will be more lethal than letting it bob.
If the hat is chained and a 12 foot wave lifts the enterprise, bang, the whole thing will lift, not good.

I think they are making way for the diamond cutters and are going to shear off the top section of the BOP, then they will try a new hat which will collect more.

The current hat is restricted by parts sticking out of the BOP, clearing this will make collection easier and more effective.

What ya's think?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

I was thinking the same too. The rubber ring got me thinking of what use it could be? That hat would not pass all the other sundry attachments to the upper bop.
A clean cut of would be the way to go.

Hell, they have to try to look like their doing something. Either way, its very compelling viewing tonight.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Sounds reasonable to me.
I guess they would wire brush off the paint and gunk to keep the cutters from gumming up during the cut. I really don't know. I still bet weld...
we shall see.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
All, I feel that I should bring the following MP3 link from Sheradon Bryce to your attention. It discusses the oil spill and it's long term effects and what you can do to help. It is balanced in it's delivery and can be taken positively or negatively dependent on you - I suggest a positive outlook is more preferable. Since I am new to this forum I cannot start a new thread so the mods can move this no problem. My heart goes out to you guys, all the way from London. Link:
www.riosabeloco.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The wire brush is seeming to be working its way around the BOP. That rubber o ring is really getting in the way, I think they might rip it off soon.

Perhaps skandi and enterprive rovs, will neeed to be repositioned if indeed Intervention is working its way all around the base?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yup intervention moved off, now skandii has detached for repositioning, Enterprise too messed up to see.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
A few days back they used a grinder to remove a piece that held that rubber disk together and then lifted it up to inspect underneath it and a space behind the bolts. I've heard talk that they are planning to replace the top hat with some kind of permanent cap that will either bolt onto the BOP or form a tight seal around it, probably in the area where they are grinding clean right now. If they were planning to place a new cap over the top of that BOP and use some kind of inflatable seal, it would likely be around that area that they are grinding clean right now.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Divinorumus]

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join