It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You still think all cops in Arizona will apply the new immigration law fairly? Ha!

"Jaywalking" is the same as "failure to properly signal lane change." Somethin that normally isn't cited, but some cop either just wants to stop you so he can get into your business but doesn't have probable cause or is a douchebag on a power trip.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenRadek
I think we all can come away with an education here:

Let me fix those for you, since we live in a free country:

When an officer calls you over to his/her vehicle, ask why. If he asks for identification or what your destination might be, ask what his probable cause is for asking.

Don't be aggressive...but at the same time stand up for your rights.

When the officer asks you something, again ask what his probable cause is for asking, without attitude. If the officer just wanted to ask you a question or to check you out in response to a call, it will go much more smoothly and you may be let go with a either a warning (if you did something "wrong" but not serious) or even a friendly, "Have a nice day. Sorry bout that, and stay safe". I have even gotten a laugh out of the officers when stopped for "looking a little suspicious" (yes there was a group of us 4 walking down an alley) and explained why we were walking down the alley like that, looking "strange".

#4 is good.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT TOUCH THE OFFICER. Do not push the officer. Do not grab the officer. Do not PUNCH the officer. Do not spit on the officer. Do not kick the officer. Do not bite the officer. Do not grab for the baton, taser, gun. Do not jump on the officer. Do not throw things at the officer. Doing any of the above mentioned acts will end very BADLY for you.

UNLESS - he is being abusive. It is not resisting arrest when the officer is using unnecessary force. You do not have to allow brutality.

Resisting an Illegal Arrest

It is technically legal to passively resist an improper or illegal arrest, detention, or investigation. And the burden of demonstrating that the arrest was lawful falls upon the State.

Excessive Force

A person is justified in the use of reasonable force to defend one's self against an officer who uses excessive force to make an arrest or engages in police brutality.

However, a person can only engage in self defense to the extent reasonably believed to be necessary. And the determination of whether the self defense was justified is based upon the circumstances at the time.

Additionally, the danger of excessive force or police brutality need not have been actual to justify a self-defense claim. In such instances, you are allowed to defend yourself if the appearance of excessive force or police brutality appeared to be imminent.

Duh.

Most important of all: Do not antagonize the officer. They have a tough job as it is. However, you are fully within your rights to verbally abuse the officer if you choose to do so. If you do mouth off, the cop either should be able to deal with it or should not be a cop...

Oh, and as for

OBEY THE LAW.

The same goes for the cops.

It's hilarious how many ATSers are terrified of the government, and talk about "fighting" and "war," but post things that make it obvious they will quietly lay down like sheep when the jackboots come.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

And I've said it before. I'll say it again. You're a cop and you have a woman who's going to act like a man with you. You TREAT her like a man and let her have it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

No offence, but where I'm from men don't fight by pulling away and pushing at your hands. Where in that video did either girl throw a punch, much less land one?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

I see two women acting like idiots.
They had it coming ...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
You still think all cops in Arizona will apply the new immigration law fairly? Ha!

"Jaywalking" is the same as "failure to properly signal lane change." Somethin that normally isn't cited, but some cop either just wants to stop you so he can get into your business but doesn't have probable cause or is a douchebag on a power trip.

If jaywalking is the same as "failure to properly signal lane change" then I am glad he stopped her. The "failure to signal" is going to end up making me crash into someone or kill someone because they were too stupid to throw on a blinker to tell me they were trying to get ahead of me. So yes, ticket jaywalkers for busy streets. If she wants to jaywalk again on a busy road, let her pay the consequences and get hit instead.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by Ciphor

Yes I heard when she said that, and that's why I watched it several times. His arm was outstretched, but you can not see that he is "grabbing her neck". His hand could have been on her shoulder, on the back of her shoulder, or on the back of her neck. Just because his hand was in that area doesn't necessarily mean that he was grabbing her neck.

Now did you notice that when she was saying get off my neck, that the guy with the camera panned up for just a minute so you couldn't really get a good look and all of the sudden pointed the camera down so that all you could see for a minute was the ground ?

You're father being an officer should mean that you are acutely aware of the dangers they can face and just how quickly that incident could have turned deadly for that cop, and possibly others had they gotten ahold of his gun.

My point was that 1 hand on the neck, whether it be the side front or back, is in no way shape or form a means of restraining someone who is standing. It begs a lot of questions, about this guys intent by his body language. Everything that police officer did was far from the book. He looked like he was intentionally using poor restraint. at one point he had her in an arm lock and should have cuffed her, but he positioned his other hand the wrong way, showing 1/2 the proper way to restrain, half not. It makes no sense and the only thing me and my father can conclude from this is that the reason for his strange body language is due to a lack of confidence in his arrest. He most likely made his approach to these jaywalkers with anger and not order. I live in washington, know this area, and have seen this officer at get togethers. I will dig dirt. He should lose his sheild. His restraint methods at the very least need re-trained and reviewed.

My father agrees with me on another note. All PD join the force knowing the risk to their lives. This is not an excuse for misconduct. The conduct of a police officer should be as uniform as their... uniforms. These strict regulations are put in place FOR THE OFFICERS safty. This officer failed to perform as he was trained and any risk of harm was brought on by his actions.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
[quote=Mothershipzeta]
UNLESS - he is being abusive. It is not resisting arrest when the officer is using unnecessary force. You do not have to allow brutality.

Exactly my point. He was being abusive. Placing a single hand on a persons neck while they are standing serves no restraint purposes and this part of the video is what needs the most review.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
People can say that the officer did the holds wrong, was weak, or should have done this or that but this isn't the movies and trying to subdue a person is a lot harder than it looks like it should be. Once that adrenaline gets going, since she was struggling, you don't do things 100% perfectly anyways and he was probably also worried about if anyone in the crowd would jump in, like the girl in pink did. It doesn't matter how long someone has been an officer or if they have the training on how to subdue someone, once it starts escalating the adrenaline will keep him from doing things "perfect", like some people believe all officers should be able to every single time no matter what's going on. And those who think that need to learn more about reality and how people react to situations like that.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bruxfinn
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Bull...

Women criminals are still criminals...

Live by the law or die by the law. Your vagina ain't gonna get you a reprieve.

If everyone is so concerned that the little girl got popped for getting out of line with a cop, then go get her PIMP and tell he/she to come deal with the problem next time.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by bruxfinn]

That is not what I meant and you know it.

If it was a female officer and/or male perp the response would have been equally inappropriate. If the officer can't deal sanely with someone's fairly normal response to having someone's hands on them, get a new job.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The blame and responsibility lie on the women who were resisting and interfering with the arrest.

How do you expect the justice system to function if anytime someone feels like they are being wrongfully cited or arrested by the police they can forceablly resist without consequences?

It would be chaos.

On the streets when the officer is arresting you is NOT the place to debate your case and fight any wrongful arrest.

You do that in the court room.

If the precedent were any other way you would have people resisting arrest at every turn and police would not be able to enforce any laws.

So even if your arrest is ABSOLUTELY UNJUSTIFIED you still must co-operate with police. Then you fight the case in court and present your evidence. This is the only way a civilized justice system can function.

It simply won't function if police cannot enforce laws and if citizens face no repercussions for interfering with police enforcement of laws.

Of course there are exceptions. These would come into play when it is clear that police are no longer enforcing laws but enforcing tyranny. I.E. police coming to take your guns, to throw large ethnic groups in camps, etc. Then I will resist. But for your everyday wrongful arrest just obey their commands and sort it out with the justice system.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is kind of a misleading headline. From everything that I have read, the officer tried to give her a citation for jaywalking, but the teen would not stop and continued to walk away, so the officer tried to restrain her, and that is where the resisting started and where the camera started rolling.

So this whole perception that the cop was arresting her for jaywalking is not true. You can't even arrest someone for jaywalking..it is a citation level offense.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Put your theory to a test...go interfere with a cop doing his job by pushing him. Something random that has nothing at all to do with you. Make sure the law he's enforcing is one you personally consider to be petty and senseless.

Pick a female cop if you like. After your arrest, for what you well know will be justified...lecture the judge concerning your opinions about the proper behavior of the police; you'll probably still have scars from this encounter to show the judge.

In a civilized society, the merits of a law or an arrest is a matter handled in a court before your accuser and the judge.

Whether ordinances against jaywalking are valid is not a matter to be discussed in the middle of the street by some 17 years old punk and a beat cop.

The cop can't arbitrarily decided which ordinances he will and will not enforce and none of us can decided which ones we will or will not obey. and if we break the law...then we deal with it. If you think people should write and enforce laws on the streets, then you're nothing more than an anarchist.

That girl got what she should of expected...and I'd bet money that if you do the same thing...we'll all be able to watch you get beat down and arrested on national television...and noone is gonna give a crap; your fellow anarchists are the exception.

Our society will survive because of the law...not because of our passions.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Maybe the officer could try... I don't know... using his training to stop the situation from ever happening?

Please re-watch the video. The officer has his hand on her neck. and she is shouting get the # off my neck.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ciphor

Had she just accepted the ticket, she could've of walked away, tossed the ticket in the garbage and blew off the court date. Jaywalking is like getting a citation for littering...its possibly the most minor infraction anyone on the planet could possibly commit.

That cop was assigned to that stretch of road and probably given the explicit instructions to keep the deliquents out of the street because the EMT's hate picking up the roadkill from the asphalt.

This whole thing was a deliberate attempt to throw down the law and a rejection of any kind of authority, so that we can all be ruled by our animal instincts.

Apparently, that is what some people mean by freedom.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As we are Americans here in America (well some of us) the courts and a jury of their peers will determine the outcome. As for the officer although what had happened may seem excessive I think he was justified for his actions. It appears to me to be a high threat area and I noticed a guy with a revolver in the left a bit more than half way through the video I wouldve wanted to end the situation with life and limb in tact. That being said people are lucky that the police officer didnt call for back up then we would be watching a video of all those people scattering like roaches. oorah!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

No offence, but where I'm from men don't fight by pulling away and pushing at your hands. Where in that video did either girl throw a punch, much less land one?

The one in the pink shirt shoved the cop. You don't put your hands on a cop unless you want to get your ass beat. Simple as that.

Also maybe where you're from. People are smart enough not to put their hands on law-enforcement personnel.

[edit on 6/16/10 by Marked One]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
An inexperienced cop and two women who think they are above the law will never turn out good. Personally, I think the girl who got punched is lucky she only got punched. Watch the office when he punches her. He PULLS the punch. That is NOT a full on swing. Just enough to get her attention and knock her away. She was so close to him and all over his person that she left him little choice.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

Three points of interest for me to this.
One, is the first sign this guy is pile of something really stinky stepped in.
No man out there, who had a good father, would ever hit a female in the face, with a closed fist. Nothing in life calls for that.

The second thing is, I understand there are camaras everywhere these days. Can't do anything without it being recorded somewhere. Maybe
this cops invisibility cloak was out of juice.

The third thing is a total confirmation this guy is a piece of work.
NO BACK UP! I don't see any one coming to help this guy. Buy the time he punched her in the face, that place should have been swarming with
units coming from everywhere.

Ok four things. If she didn't have an assault on a police officer charge
hang'in over her head. I think she could have taken him.

starred n flaged you man.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One

Originally posted by 23refugee

The one in the pink shirt shoved the cop. You don't put your hands on a cop unless you want to get your ass beat. Simple as that.

Also maybe where you're from. People are smart enough not to put their hands on law-enforcement personnel.

[edit on 6/16/10 by Marked One]

Perhaps where I'm from, people are smart enough not to let a grown man who punches a 17 year old girl remain law enforcement personnel.
Had that been a man, the officer would have shot him. I can't really see that one handing out any "ass beatings".

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join