It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil from leak on fire?? Possible?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Wouldn't the amount burned be in proportion to the amount of oxygen injected, they would have full control of the flame. Ever played with a blow torch? Same principle only metering the amount of gas instead of oxygen. I dunno.

You may be right, no flame, but i am still holding out for a cookie.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I just got on the vid feed, It won't load for me. I'm on ubuntu, so it might be that, but I would think that it would work. Anyone else? Did they pull the feed?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'm kind of fascinated with what's happening on the feed from the Viking Poseidon 2... They've been working to drop a huge snap-hook into the middle of the wreckage — obviously trying to do a little salvage or move the wreckage around... Takes forever to accomplish the simplest-seeming tasks remotely at that depth.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vyrox

No.. the feed is still up.. try a refresh.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
That's a roger... Viking Poseidon is the one to watch. They're at work down there...

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Perhaps they're getting ready for the new cap.. they have one that they say will capture almost 100%.. we'll see.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Damn... This is kind of intense, watching the salvage operation. I keep expecting to see big coils of cable come crashing down, like that scene in The Abyss... I know, a mediocre movie, but it had its moments. Waiting for that crane boom to land on their heads for five solid minutes was nerve wracking.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Looks like they're just moving things around.. not sure why?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
What I'm watching is an 8' x 24' bucket being lowered at around 4900 feet... Viking Poseidon is all over it, little claws snapping and everything. BP should offer a soundtrack with this.

I'm thinking John Williams, maybe. No, wait, Danny Elfman.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
UH-OH! They lost that big-ass bucket! Did you see that?? looked like a current came in and just ripped it away from its moorings! Kule!

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

can you link this? Not sure which one you're watching.

And regarding the op, I have to wonder what changed or what happened to make it look like the leak is on fire. It def looks like flames to me, so I guess I'm wondering when it started to look like that and why it hasn't done that up until now.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kevpa

Viking Poseidon – ROV2
www.bp.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Har Har, Mateys! Thar's plenty o' wurk fer ya abard th' Viking Poseidon! Welcome abard, ya swabs!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d6ba9f90171.gif[/atsimg]

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Seriously, I think they lost that big 8' x 24' Gator bucket — there was an abrupt torrent from left to right across the camera lens, the linkages went horizontal, then the whole thing just disappeared from view. Wow. They made a boo boo.

But, hell, I can understand how it can happen when your eyes and brain are a mile away from your hands... Looks like Viking Poseidon is now on standby, just hovering.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
What we NEED is an intrepid team of scientists, engineers, biologists and military men who aren't afraid of going down there, into the unimaginable depths of the friggin ocean and working the wonders that must be worked. We can call it SeaView...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d401c5c20d31.gif[/atsimg]

I love it.

Wow, that's sort've captivating. And what a submarine, eh?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
It's an art form, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Camera is changing angles but it looks like flames again on the Skandi.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
Exactly. I'm not a genius, but supposedly the oil is coming from a ruptured tube right? Well why is it not oozing out? And what is with all of the flames? Someone please explain this.

OK Einstein, the pressure from the oil vented is reported to be thousands of PSI (pounds per square inch.) Does a ballon burst or does air ooze out?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Pretty sure the containment cap is painted yellow.

It just looks like flames.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Damn... This is kind of intense, watching the salvage operation. I keep expecting to see big coils of cable come crashing down, like that scene in The Abyss... I know, a mediocre movie, but it had its moments. Waiting for that crane boom to land on their heads for five solid minutes was nerve wracking.

— Doc Velocity

How dare you call that movie mediocre!!! That is still one of my all time favorite flicks!

Does anyone know when this new cap is supposed to be attempted?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join