It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil from leak on fire?? Possible?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Have been looking at the Skandi 2 ROV for a while now: it looks like flames man. I hope its the floodlights but it really looks like the methane is burning.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I saw early in this thread that some people were asking about why it seems that more oil is flowing out now. I made sure to read most of the other replies and didn't find the answer.

A little while ago they cut off part of the pipe in order to make a clean start for them to do something else (can't quite remember what, I'm basically running on a few hours of sleep over the last few days, so I'm counting myself lucky for being functioning at any level). This was supposed to have a side effect of increasing the flow of oil by I think at most 20%. When whatever they were trying failed, we then found that this will be going on until August at the new rate *facepalm*

Another something I've read and heard about is that a lot of sand and debris is being sucked into this. This is having the effect of sandblasting the metal away and making the pipe opening bigger. Also if this is such a weird strain of heavy oil, then it could be that the bigger chunks are having that same effect. Of course it makes me wonder though what keeps this going, is it just pressure from within the deposit, or is it like one of those wells that once you start suction at the top it keeps a steady flow?

As for whether or not it is on fire. I'd have to side with the group that says it isn't. Unless that puppy tapped into some underground molten rock and is mixing with it, I'd say its just lighting.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurskiesRpoisoned
Pretty sure the containment cap is painted yellow.

It just looks like flames.

Just like I was stating last night LOL, it's not flames. You can clearly see that its a tank/cap of some sort...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
After checking out the live feed from ROV 2, I can see how some people would think these were flames. However, it seems there is another object (ROV 1?) on the opposite side of the oil plume. My guess is that this object has a light source on it and it is this light source shining through "thin spots" in the plume, thus allowing the light to pass through the oil and make the oil appear reddish.

It should also be considered that methane gas or dispersants mixed in with the oil could alter the transparency and allow more of the red wavelength of light to pass through, giving it a red appearance.

I highly doubt that there would be some sort of controlled burn happening down there (by injecting oxygen into the plume), as the risks of an explosion and compromising the equipment at the site surely outweigh the benefit of burning off a little oil or gas.

Also, you would be adding "spent" molecules of gas and oil to what they claim to be capturing from the leak, and that would surely compromise the quality of the oil they hope to recover and use from this site.

I hope anyways...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I noticed that a couple of days ago and I thought it looked like flames but it was much smaller.

This oil spill is startingto scare me. I live very closs to it. If that really is fire, then we better be prepared for anything. Fire mixed with methane gas spells disaster so great that it can't even be described.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
I noticed that a couple of days ago and I thought it looked like flames but it was much smaller.

This oil spill is startingto scare me. I live very closs to it. If that really is fire, then we better be prepared for anything. Fire mixed with methane gas spells disaster so great that it can't even be described.

Don't worry.

It's not fire. Just lighting and the yellow cap.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hey sounds like mystery solved to me. Its the new cap painted yellow showing thru combined with the lights they have down there for the spill or maybe preinstalled for maintainance and... "accident" purposes. And it looks bigger because it IS bigger, they made it bigger in order to try some trick that had the risk of not working and so, in hindsight, it would seem they made it bigger for no reason. The sand and other debris including chunks of crude are also whipping away at the edges of the pipe, slowly making it bigger.
I just wanted to add, everyone is SO scared that the oil MIGHT reach the eastern coast of USA and that the Southern States are basically gonna be wiped off the map as far as compatability with life, with the risk of this being true for most or all of the east coast as well. And while I am pretty concerned as well, I was wondering... isnt this thing right next to mexico and central america? Wont pretty much HALF of the nation of mexico and ALL of a few other countries be WIPED OUT? Will all these people migrate further south? Or attempt to come north along with the populations of the Southern States? Will there be some kind of military blockade to prevent this? Will they also prevent US citizens from coming North In order to prevent the overcrowding of all the northern states? Will Canada recieve an influx of immigrants as well? Will there be no military blockade and is the ensuing chaos of overcrowding part of "the plan"? Or is this some sort of way to crowd us together in order to create "a smaller, more compact target" out of US? will something disastrous then happen to canada and the northern states? I kno its just a movie, but on THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, everything above... say, mid-nevada or las vegas, nevada gets covered in ice within a day - day and 1/2 due to...hmm...due to the north atlantic current being messed with by "global warming"...maybe they did take a play from the movies playbook, only they realized they cannot wait for "global warming" because of the "awakening" thats going on in the world right now that they have openly stated they are afraid of and have been talking about and planning for for over 15 years(at least openly). I bet the oil has an effect on the north atlantic current...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My husband's coworker said it is methanol that they're injecting down there in order to keep it from forming ice crystals under the cap.

Ram

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I posted this some time ago... Ignored

Should I write "enjoy" ?
I better not..

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

The new cap? The cap they put on last week was white. Did they already switch caps?

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure where to post my question but I'll post it on every Oil Spill thread until I hear an answer.

Seeing the leak is gushing out at something like 10,000 pressure-pounds per square inch, it's safe to assume, nothing will be able to 'clog' it at this rate, right?
So my question is this: Why can't they re-bury it? I mean.....submerge this leaking pipe back into the Earth?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MotherofBlessings
My husband's coworker said it is methanol that they're injecting down there in order to keep it from forming ice crystals under the cap.

Yes it is methanol still different situation versus old riser pipe leak, new broken pipe is blowing hot because of local. Not sure what to believe anymore?

Has anyone asked maybe BP doing a controlled burn in order to prevent ice hydrates and methanol didn't work?

[edit on 9-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Your looking at the new cap which is yellow. It looks like flames, but it isnt.

link   
reply to post by Ram

Ignored?

Probably because we all saw the video when it came out weeks ago.

link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

DR V is correct... Remember all your Conspiracy training Warriors... don't get your panties in a bunch from the Estrogen in your spiked cool-aid, it's just a Blue-Beam project... I understand some see the reality of the suffering but Holograms can create some amazing effects on the mind.

We are here to help get you through to the other side in peace and comfort.

Go rent the greatest movie of all time... Flight of the Navigator by Disney grab some popcorn and enjoy to greatest show in the Quantum universe and get ready to Fly children this is the moment some of us have all been waiting for.('
')

But I know you thought it was according to Earth time.

Yours truly,

Mr X('
')

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Methane combined with oil in the well ! I said it before ! ehhh..nope .it's just yellow.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by SSimon]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Check this stream, more quality. Its the new cap. It are NO flames.

www.livestream.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxize

I agree.. I think it is an illusion.. but sure looks like flames. I noticed they changed the angle of the live feed. There must have been a lot of calls coming in.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They are injecting Oxygen into the escaping oil from the cap, along with dispersant... Look at the left side of the OP's picture... Oxygen.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
I'm not sure where to post my question but I'll post it on every Oil Spill thread until I hear an answer.

Seeing the leak is gushing out at something like 10,000 pressure-pounds per square inch, it's safe to assume, nothing will be able to 'clog' it at this rate, right?
So my question is this: Why can't they re-bury it? I mean.....submerge this leaking pipe back into the Earth?

How pipe(riser) is directly onto BOP/ BOP 5 stories tall Bolts cannot be loosened because ROV's cannot apply enough torque. Even if you exploded BOP with a Navy torpedo leak would still exist and what have you do?

BP could bring in tanker after tanker of cement and try to pur into gaping wound but it is 5,000 feet down and cement would harden due to extreme cold and drift all over the place......so lets say you build a mini mountain leak would still come up leaking forever until the 50,000,000 barrels is gone!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join