It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil from leak on fire?? Possible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hi all,

Check out this live feed.. It looks like it is on fire:
www.bp.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d9a1bad4c5e.png[/atsimg]

What is that? It looks like flames.. but isn't that impossible underwater?

Edit: Added screen capture.

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Guys.. check this out before the feed is pulled.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
IT IS A UNDERWATER VOLCANO!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If u can please record and embed video here as well as more screen shots ...Ty in advance

~meathead

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

For the first 12 hours on June 8th (midnight to noon), approximately 7,850 barrels of oil were collected and 15.2 million cubic feet of natural gas was flared. •

On June 7th, a total of approximately 14,800 barrels of oil were collected and 30.6 million cubic feet of natural gas was flared

What do you think "flared" means?

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Morpheas

It does look like there are some flames, though I cannot be sure, it's definitely not the normal look of the leak..

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Underwater.. no they burn the gas at the ship where it is collected.

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I worked on oil rigs in my youth days and all I can say here is ah #!!

What I see is not good. This feed will be pulled soon.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I don't know how to embed live feeds.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas
Guys.. check this out before the feed is pulled.

That's damn freaky. It does look like it's on fire. Gotta be the lighting or something . . I hope. Cause it it's on fire, just what impact will that have on the methane down there. I wish I could catch a frame or two. The feed I'm watching is skandi ROV2.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Chance321]

link   
I saw a feed similar to this a couple of days ago and posted it on another thread - I thought it looked like flames then and so does this one. Is it possible to have flames such as this in water?

link   

That leak looks insane. And why after all this time is it still gushing like that?

You know what...i think i'll have some pie.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

That leak looks insane. And why after all this time is it still gushing like that?

I've been watching this for awhile now, but is it just me or does it look more violent? I don't know, this just don't look right.
And yeah, I'm waiting for this led to be pulled. Wish I could record this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm recording it right now. Definitely looks like flames.

SMH. And why does it look like its spitting out so much more oil than before?!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I know minimal of off shore drilling . But on shore I have seen blow outs and rig fires that no amount of water would put it out . On land some times the only way to put it out would be to set off a big charge around the BOP when the explosion goes off it starves the flare of oxygen and poof its out then rush in in fire suits and manually close the BOP .

A mile down and burning how beats me . water is H2o 2 hydrogen to 1 oxygen if water is broken down would it give enough to fuel the fire ?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thank you Newbodyoldsoul.

this whole tragedy has my mind reeling and my heart raging.ATS has become My News channel due to the diligent work of the community and staff.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Originally posted by packinupngoin

I've been watching this for awhile now, but is it just me or does it look more violent? I don't know, this just don't look right.
And yeah, I'm waiting for this led to be pulled. Wish I could record this.

Exactly. I'm not a genius, but supposedly the oil is coming from a ruptured tube right? Well why is it not oozing out? And what is with all of the flames? Someone please explain this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
I'm recording it right now. Definitely looks like flames.

SMH. And why does it look like its spitting out so much more oil than before?!

You tube it!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The ruptured wellhead is more than a mile deep, where the temperature is below freezing, about 29° F... Only the intense pressure prevents the seawater from freezing. On top of that, there's barely enough oxygen down there to support Life, nevermind ignite a fire. The crude supposedly pouring out of the leak is a very heavy, very dense hydrocarbon cocktail — about the same density as the seawater — so it naturally disperses into the water column rather than heading straight for the surface.

Now, let's go back to 9th Grade General Physics for a moment... What is required to initiate Fire? Just three conditions are necessary:

1. Presence of a Combustible Fuel
2. High Temperature
3. Abundant Presence of Oxygen

Problem with the oil leak is that, while there's sort of a combustible fuel present down there, being widely dispersed into the water column, the other 2 of the necessary conditions for Fire are absent: High Temperature and the Abundant Presence of Oxygen.

Therefore, no Fire.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Somebody check out Shandi ROV1. Somethings going on there. I've seen chunks of something? dropping out of the smoke? oil? looked to be about fist size maybe a little bigger.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join